WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Stage)

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

AzureTranquility

Re: WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Sta

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:41 pm

I'm going to try and scout for a female VA. So far, no luck. Monky seems to be insecure about her voice, which is unfortunate, since she's such a pretty young lady. Bleh.

For the most part, I agree with Joey and Treed's point, even though when I first thought of the idea I wasen't planning on it being exclusive to a forum, but I think it works better if we do it like that. Might be more efficient too, since we won't have to go out of our way with regards to communication, Everyone involved is in one forum.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:25 pm

A bit of a preview. This takes a LOT out of my voice.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:26 pm

I totally agree with Treed and Joey. I've been playing a bit of AW recently and uh, voice acting doesn't really flow that well in the actual games. The dialogue does a decent job of getting across characters and exposition, but then there are prolonged periods of actual gameplay which breaks it up and thus it doesn't flow well.

I know this has already been said but I think we should be putting preference on humour rather than necessarily the "most accurate" voices. So if we can't find female voice actors from WWN, fudge it, let's do Monty Python women voices. Yeah it's a shame but let's keep it in the family eyyy

When I did my first couple of samples, yeah I was a bit smashed but I was trying to make myself laugh with the voices that fit the characters. Or, y'know, very much didn't. I hope that made a few people laugh with my camp Scottish Drake or my Truman Capote Rachel, with little consideration of the characters at hand. I'm not saying that we should be sacrificing all semblance of character appropriateness for silly voices, but let's face it. We're not the best voice actors in the world *shocked gasps from the gallery* so what we have as a strength is making each other laugh. An irrelevant piss-take from folk in the community will work much better than a cast of semi-pro VA's who are actually quite good - and then it stops being funny.

Skype riffs are an excellent idea for this reason. Don't worry too much about getting everyone involved with the project on at once - even if it was only like 3 folk at a time and we split up the voices whatever, then the result could be really great. Probably terrible, but we'd be 3 WWNers doing stupid voices at each other. There's something nice and community about that, yeah?

As for availability, don't stress about it too much. People are busy - I'll be off the radar for a bit, other people will be too. Having more time to allow people to get access to equipment & crawl out the woodwork is fine. This is WWN, we're like a herd of cats. We sorta come and go as we please.

And oh my glob #bringbackGrowshroom

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:35 pm

i have found growshroom like several times throughout the years but he's never responded

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:41 pm

MASSIVE update to the OP, including a poster for what will be our first project! Let me know what you guys think. I also removed the section where it shows what characters were unvoiced or needed new roles, because it was kinda redundant and pointless, now that every character has been attempted at this point. I also bumped up the character list to the top, since it makes more sense. Everything else is still in the same spots relative to before.

Joey, I give you points for authenticity. The fact you're willing to strain your voice for our sake is very encouraging. :)

Believe me kilty, humor is still top priority! Rest assured though, your samples have brought smiles to many people, myself included. We're happy to have you aboard!

Regarding your gameplay tidbit, would it not be best just to cut out the gameplay where no dialogue is exchanged? It's not like there's a shortage of gameplay videos or anything. Of course, such a tech could only be applied to YouTube videos. To be honest I'm not even really thinking about how this could apply to a game patch, because I realize that would require more work, since we'd all have to record voices for extra dialogue, including the dreaded tutorial stuff. The patch idea becomes more and more of a pipe-dream with every passing day, meanwhile the YouTube route is just as probable as it ever was.

I definitely shouldn't have to stress over availability, not at this point anyway. This topic's only been up a week and a half and it's made more progress than I anticipated. I thought it would take months to move on to beta(Where we start actually dubbing over the videos for the final cuts, and patching if that ever becomes a reality), but at this rate we might be ready this month, especially if we consider kilty's option of not having female VA...

Tell me more about this "growshroom" character, guys.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Joey wrote:I would just like to confirm that Treed got very much exactly right what I meant.

WWN is a cute little corner. I'm all for ghosts of WWN past (I WOULD BE ALL FOR SHINKO TO VOICE SOMETHING (STURM??????)) and nonsense like that, but this should be a community endeavor, and I think we're making a bad mistake if we veer from that.

So yeah, friends from other forums, guilds, even IRL friends or identical twin brothers...somehow, their inclusion would ruin the charm of the project. I know I'm not the boss of the project, but even being like "I'm going to let my friend do one just 'cause" is off to me.

With that said, let's find Growshroom.
I got exactly what you meant. In my enthusiastic and incredibly boring moment at work, I tried to reason why it was okay to include outside members.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:19 am

This weekend will most likely not be an option for me to Skype, but perhaps next weekend is an option. I'm working full time on weekdays so I don't have any room there. If we can at least start planning a date to Skype we'll be okay.

Also, there's really no need to rush. With everyone just dropping in and out due to time constraints (such as my own), we won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Which is good, as it'll give more people an opportunity to try and voice more characters.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:01 am

Is there a reason you haven't given a grade to my Kanbei? You also don't have me listed as a current candidate for either character. Same for Blame Game re: Drake.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:12 am

Joey wrote:Is there a reason you haven't given a grade to my Kanbei? You also don't have me listed as a current candidate for either character. Same for Blame Game re: Drake.
[spoiler="Joey']Image[/spoiler]

We did not discuss Blame Game's Drake. My personal opinion: It could use a bit of work with certain words, but otherwise, funny as hell. I like it. In reference to your Kanbei, he sounded much too old, and somehow became Scottish when talking about the true power of his forces. Might have just gotten confused about a few key accent elements which turned it that way, so a retry isn't out of the question.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:14 am

Scottish accents are OP pls nerf

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:33 am

Yeah sorry Joey. I would actually like it if you gave Kanbei another go, and take what hawke and kilty are saying to heart. If possible, try to sound asian like a samurai.

With Drake, I'm somewhat torn between Blame and Kilty. The way things are going through, Blame might be getting the spot, since kilty's got so many locks right now it's not even funny, meanwhile Blame may only have Jake in the bag, so I think I'm going to make Blame the current candidate for Drake on principle alone. If I could do a better pirate accent that DIDN'T just sound like my normal southern accent, I would be on that!

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:56 am

I mean, what is the process for selecting the voice? I'm not saying who should be picked, but listing all people who have gone for it makes sense.

I'll give Kanbei, and obviously Von Bolt, another go. The Von Bolt was mostly a taste of sort of the direction in which I'm going.

And maybe I'll just apply my old Asian guy voice to someone else.

Although, seriously, you guys are insane for thinking that's anything like Scottish. >_>

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:58 am

Azure, my advice to you would be to think about a mechanism through which to do casting. Should it be entirely up to your discretion, or should more of this AW-savvy forum, perhaps a committee, be involved? I would suggest thinking hard about this. And until that answer is available, the first post should probably include all tries.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 am

Joey wrote:I mean, what is the process for selecting the voice? I'm not saying who should be picked, but listing all people who have gone for it makes sense.
Although, seriously, you guys are insane for thinking that's anything like Scottish. >_>
Until recently, only Azure called the shots. Now I'm in on it too, to hopefully avoid a completely biased opinion. Also, while it wasn't full on Scottish, it does get a bit Scotsy towards the middle. As I said, you probably unintentionally started changing something with the accent that your voice was uncomfortable with, and changed it into something unrecognizable.
Joey wrote:Azure, my advice to you would be to think about a mechanism through which to do casting. Should it be entirely up to your discretion, or should more of this AW-savvy forum, perhaps a committee, be involved? I would suggest thinking hard about this. And until that answer is available, the first post should probably include all tries.
Right now, only Azure and myself choose the good samples. This is only because I'm the most available one here. Honestly, it would be good to have everyone involved cast their vote. If the two of us think something is bad, yet five other people love it, we can't defy their wishes. There'll be a mutiny. I, for one encourage everyone to put in their two cents. If this project is giving off a "your opinion doesn't matter" vibe, there is a problem.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:39 am

I think that right now, posting all comers makes sense. Then, down the line, when we have most if not all entries we expect in, I'd say democracy-based casting. That's not only fair; it's FUN!

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 am

Well to be fair, some voices seem perfect just from the first try, though there are others that will likely need a poll to determine, such as Andy.

If it would make everyone happier, we'll do a poll for every single character. I have nothing against doing that.

hawke is... mostly right. When I applied the ranks, it was a mixture of what people were saying in posts combined with my own personal opinion. It's why I gave my performances so many C's compared to everyone else's, though that could just be me being harder on myself, who knows.

Consider this though: Would the character polling be a separate topic or be a part of the main topic?

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 am

I think your ranks are fine, by the way. Having those as a sort of guide in the original post makes sense.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:41 am

Joey wrote:Azure, my advice to you would be to think about a mechanism through which to do casting. Should it be entirely up to your discretion, or should more of this AW-savvy forum, perhaps a committee, be involved? I would suggest thinking hard about this. And until that answer is available, the first post should probably include all tries.
Whoa when did the man take over

I agree with Joey that it should be more about community than anything else, and I don't really care who does who... but I do think Azure should take care of the whole thing. Clearly he's the guy with the most enthusiasm about it.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:46 am

While I may have been the one to come up with the concept, you also have to consider that I literally just joined this forum, so the only type of say I have is only because I'm the one that brought this up, and the one who will be handling most(though not all) of the audio and video editing, so in reality I shouldn't have much more say than the veterans of this forum. Just being honest, but I do appreciate you guys showing enthusiasm and gumption about all this. Props Joey for standing up for what you believe in, and props to Linkman for sticking up for me.

I do apologize if not all of the samples are in the OP, but as me and hawke have mentioned, there seems to be a nasty glitch going on where when editing posts, it will sometimes blank itself(I.E. no post), and thus give back the "too few characters" error. We assume it's the new soundcloud tag HPD installed since the glitch didn't pop up until after that was installed.

If it makes anyone feel better, just because someone snags the character role, doesn't mean we can't do an outtakes or blooper video with the other takes in it. That would make this project much more definitive, I think.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:58 am

Like I said, before you decide on anything, a few tryouts on Skype would be good. That way people can give a better impression and commentary.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:01 am

Sounds good to me. Me and hawke will probaly attend, so I would like at least 3 other guys to be in on it as well. What date would be best for everyone?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:13 am

I am available at any time between 11am and 3:30pm GMT-6. Excluding Saturdays and Sundays. And days where I sleep in.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:21 am

Kids, is there any way the BBCodes could use HTML5 instead of Flash? I don't have Flash installed because it drains my laptop battery way quicker than HTML5 players. Also, Flash is ugly and I hates it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:23 am

I don't want to say what should happen, and that wouldn't make much sense.

But I do think that thinking about process would make a lot of sense. And that's all I'm saying. I'm of the opinion that he should obviously lead it. I'm simply saying with leading comes planning and process.
Clearly he's the guy with the most enthusiasm about it.
Well, hawkesnightmare might give him a run for his money.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:24 am

I'm less trying to dictate where things go and more trying to get ya thinking, Azure. That's all. :)

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:42 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:Join us in our delusions of having good voices, Narts.
OKAY THEN, but delusions or not my voice is too crap for anything other than this crumpets:

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:54 am

Joey wrote:I'm less trying to dictate where things go and more trying to get ya thinking, Azure. That's all. :)
You're a good guy Joey. Believe me, I'm always thinking. Might be a reason why my mind/brain are so overworked all the time! bwa ha ha ha!
Last edited by AzureTranquility on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 am

That was my natural voice.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:10 am

damn it narts, now that you've joined i have to join in! i can't be the only one sniping at the topic with oneliners.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 am

Narts wrote:That was my natural voice.
0_o ?!

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:19 am

Narts wrote:That was my natural voice.
It's okay. My natural voice is that of someone who has been smoking a pack a day for the past forty years.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 am

Oof, how embarassing on my part...

On a lighter note, the OP now has spoiler tags to separate the sections. It was getting to be long and probaly lagged a bunch of computers, lol

This video is for you, kilty: http://youtu.be/X9V-kStieuc

Funny troll happened tonight... two girls on DeviantArt favorited the AW VA posters I uploaded. ONE OF THEM NAMED TROLLWAFFLE. Y U DO THIS TO ME

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:23 am

Why not ask them to contribute

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 am

Because that would be really silly! >o>

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 am

Narts wrote:Why not ask them to contribute
Treedweller wrote:Guys, I dunno if you realized this, but the whole reason this project gained traction on WWN is because it's hilarious for a tiny group of friends (like WWN) to make funny voices for a children's war game then listen to them.

Hawke dear, your enthusiasm's boundless, but you've effortlessly dodged the point. We don't need IRL friends getting tossed awkward game scripts, and we don't need calls for help on other forums with anonymous user bases. Just, like, let the project go where it will. That's what Joey meant.

Also omg, they're called 'women,' not girls.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:52 am

Just let them post in Custom COs, they'll be initiated in no time

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 am

Good lord...the custom CO board is the Borg Assimilation center. It all makes sense now.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Okay so HERE'S A TRY AT ANDY AND MAX:

Hidden Text
Max : It looks like we'll be facing Grit next.

Andy : Grit... Is he the guy who keeps calling me junior? Do you know him or
something?

Max : Yeah, you could say that. He, Nell and I used to be friends. He was
always a tough one to figure out, but this Blue Moon stuff...

Andy : Nell knows him, too? Why is he working for Blue Moon?

Max : That's something I'd like to ask him myself. That's why you've got to
let me face him, Andy! Let me take care of Grit!
SO THEN I PICKED UP THE MAX VOICE AND WENT WITH IT:

Finally a new try at Eagle, and what if Sonja was a nympho and constantly had orgasms?

Hidden Text
Eagle : who is that?

Sonja : Olaf's invasion of Orange Star is where all of this began. During the
attack, Andy was seen leading sorties on several countries. You saw
him yourself, didn't you? So... doesn't all this strike you as
exceedingly odd?

Eagle : Well, now that you mention it...

Sonja : You see what I'm getting at? It would've been impossible for Orange
Star to launch multiple offensives while trying to repel Olaf's
attack. That's the anomaly I wanted to show you.

Eagle : Impossible! I'm getting angrier by the moment!

Sonja : It seems that our mystery foe has the ability to create human clones.
I think it's safe to say that we've encountered several copies of
Andy.

Eagle : Blast! This is terrible!

Sonja : I have some more stones to overturn, so I'll be going. What are your
plans?

Eagle : I won't leave this madman on the loose! I'll find him and crush him!

Sonja : It's up to you then, Eagle! Hail the Prince of the Skies! Good luck!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:03 pm

I should mention I was drunk when I did these