WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Stage)

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

AzureTranquility

Re: WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Sta

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Yep, I still really like your take on Eagle. Still an S Rank, no one's gonna top that!

Now that I've heard more of your Andy, I'm inclined to give it the proper rank of A. Max was pretty good, but maybe not deep enough. Sonja was funny!

So you were drunk? Trying to follow in kilty's footsteps? :p

Anyway, I'm thinking about holding that character poll in a week or two. Afterwards, it's beta phase!

Unless you all think we should wait longer. I'll wait for input.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:51 am

Listening to all that the morning after is embarassing specially Sonja :D
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:06 am

hahaha, if it makes you feel any better, I can't think of how to apply it to a funny video like with kiltman2's sami!

It helps you didn't make it downloadable. *evil finger movement*

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:48 am

Really? Well it's fixed now.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:02 am

Don't sweat it, amigo. I've become much more lenient about the download clause. Soundcloud should have that option be default, honestly.

Oooh, you even named the file after the mission! Saves me some time. Don't forget to make your classic samples downloadable as well, Linky old boy.

UPDATE: Jeez, this got uploaded QUICK: http://youtu.be/nT73eyb-R24

You know Linky, had you gone and voiced the rest of the mission, I could have spliced in my voice clips and we'd have a complete video! Possum Spit!

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:38 am

Sorry for the double post, but I feel this warrants a separate post.

After analyzing the samples again, I've come to the conclusion that we really don't need much more samples in order to move on without fear. There are quite a few "locks", some "most likelies", and even a couple "Not auditioned but still likely to be good for such and such role". Just a note, I've done more than just analyzed the specific character roles, but rather what the VA can contribute as a whole.

This list is NOT definitive, but this is what I'm leaning towards at this moment in time;

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy - Linkman
Max - kiltman2
Sami - (Female role needed, or we may have to rely on Treed)
Nell - Treedweller
Jake - Blame Game
Rachel - (Female role needed, or we may have to rely on Treed)
Olaf - No definitive VA
Grit - AzureTranquility
Colin - AzureTranquility
Sasha - Treedweller (No Samples, But likely)
Kanbei - Waiting on Joey, but still no definitive VA for this one
Sonja - (Female role needed, or we may have to rely on Treed)
Sensei - (Only kiltman2 and I have submitted samples, both don't seem to fit the character)
Grimm - kiltman2
Eagle - Linkman
Drake - Blame Game
Jess - Treedweller
Javier - Treedweller and/or Linkman
Sturm - hawkesnightmare
Flak - kiltman2
Lash - (Female role needed, or we may have to rely on Treed)
Adder - kiltman2 or hawkesnightmare
Hawke - kiltman2 or hawkesnightmare
Jugger - hawkesnightmare
Koal - (Only me and HPD submitted samples, but they don't seem to be well-liked)
Kindle - Treedweller (No samples yet, but community seems to want this anyway!)
Von Bolt - hawkesnightmare

Assuming we do a poll, that would still only apply to a few characters, like hawke and adder.

I'm not sure what the public consensus is on Javier "switching accents", however if we do go with that we'd only be switching between french and spanish. One could interpret that as him being spanish, but likes to speak in a french accent from time to time. Nothing too harmless, and the comedic potential is high!

Please let me know your thoughts, guys. Treed said he was going to work on some more samples, so I want to wait for those as well.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 am

I may do Koal if I feel my voice is raspy enough tomorrow. I did a fair bit of yelling today, so I may partially lose my voice, which would fit well with Koal, I think. I would likely have to do all of my lines in one day though, since I doubt this will happen again very soon. On the other side, if I'm not feeling bad about my voice, I may see if I can steal another role from Azure and do a Grit audition(may not work out though. Azure's native accent is Southern, so he knows all of the ins and outs of a Southern accent).
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:55 am

Well I reckon you can give it a shot, pardner!

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:11 pm

"Sturm's sorta like a metaphor for patriarchy, isn't he? crumpets, that's deep."

YES

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:20 pm

WARNING! CHALLENGE APPROACHING!

wow pillowinks... that made me jiggle something fierce!

Would it be uncouth to have two different VAs for Sturm? One that is less erious for his snifit appearance, and hawke for his more serious aw2 incarnation?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 pm

I'm gonna try and do a few more voices when I get the opportunity, but I'd really want to get something going on Skype. I proposed next weekend earlier, but got no replies. Who is up for this and when would be a good time?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:05 am

For me, it would ideally be in the early morning hours EST, somewhere in the area of 4-6 AM(Depending on my sleeping schedule), but that's if I were to actually talk, for text-chat I'm available almost all day, save for the 7-9 hours of mandatory sleep. Pretty sure it's possible to do a mix of text and voice chat anyway, so no probs there.

Considering how a large number of the WWN members are from european countries, finding a good time for everyone will be really... funny. But I think having at least one of those sessions before moving on to beta, and maybe another one during the beta, would be beneficial for community morale, if nothing else.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:35 am

So how about like noon GMT on Saturday? Not sure how many of us are in West US, but at least we'll still catch the Ozzies before they go to bed. Another time is like at about 11 pm GMT, which is early Sunday morning for the Australians, late evening in Europe and afternoon in North America. I believe we've used this particular time before as it turned out to be the most convenient for L4D2 events and whatnot.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:46 am

Noon GMT on Saturday would be 7 AM EST if I'm not mistaken. Sounds doable!

If we decide for 11 PM GMT, that would be 6 PM EST, so I probaly wouldn't be able to talk myself, but could supervise/host and provide my input through text. There's also the potential of recording the entire convo(Does Skype sitll let you do that?) to make a "Super Sample".

So both times sound fine to me, no prob here(Hopefully).

pillowinks

Post by pillowinks » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:28 am

i'd like to give olaf a shot but as you may have picked up from my previous auditions, my microphone is crap and I'm not going to be able to buy a new one til mid to late august

so wee

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:29 am

Well, give it a try anyway. Other than a female VA, we still need solid VAs for Kanbei, Sensei, and Olaf.

So, to change the pace a bit, are there any other game series that you guys like that you feel deserve VA? Comedic or otherwise.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:46 am

Anyone else in for random Skype on Saturday just to try crazy voices?

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:47 am

I think they might be scared, HPD.

Seriously it might be best to move this topic to a different forum. Might get more attention that way, instead of having these wierd 24-hour periods of no activity.

Hawke At Work

Post by Hawke At Work » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:21 pm

[quote="pillowinks"]i'd like to give olaf a shot but as you may have picked up from my previous auditions, my microphone is crap and I'm not going to be able to buy a new one til mid to late august

so wee[/quote]
If anyone has a crappy mic that simply has a bunch of white noise behind it, while voice quality is still fair (coughHPDcough), if you send me the raw sound file, I can get all the static out.

Early Saturday is iffy. I'm generally up till 4 am (GMT-6), so doing it at noon GMT will be miserable for me, unless I pull an all nighter. If it's at all possible, 3pm GMT would work better, assuming I go to bed at a decent time on Friday.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:14 am

The inactivity is agonizing... so here's the long overdue Treed Jess+Javier video;

http://youtu.be/ZxW4wkD-pPY

Also, I'm working on ana lternate dialogue video for DS, if anyone wants to mess with what I have currently, here's the WIP;

http://youtu.be/YwL5BXQnZ-Y

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:36 am

I can promise tomorrow that I will do some voicework for Koal (I have a few ideas that are a bit different) and Grit. After some practicing off the record button, I decided to not even try Olaf, as I seem to have forgotten how to imitate a Russian accent, and can only do a bad one, or yell, but not both at the same time. A Santa impression from someone else may be necessary.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:47 am

Or worse... we use my Olaf. It's the only one we have. :S

(Alecat, heeeeeelp)

Also, not AW related, but why the hell not;

Top 10 Zelda Games Audio

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:17 am

So how about that SKype chat guys?

Hmm?

HMMMMMMMM?

I guess most everyone is busy with something, because it's not just this topic that's inactive.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:57 am

Well Mafia sign-ups have been active, why don't you join in?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:17 am

Tonight, then? (As in, the 11 GMT thing)

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:24 am

Well HPD, I think the only ones interested right now are me and you, maybe hawke. I dunno if that'd be enough to hold an interesting session.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:25 am

We'll see, otherwise it won't happen and I'll just try and record stuff at that time.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:29 am

Anywayz, if you really need a collin I may be able to do something. Im a 15 year old boy so "young boy" fits my description. However I can only record via my phone which is not the best :/

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:20 am

welp no cannot make the skype either, sorry

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:05 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Anywayz, if you really need a collin I may be able to do something. Im a 15 year old boy so "young boy" fits my description. However I can only record via my phone which is not the best :/
Actually Lad that would be nice. Me and hawke were having a discussion about it, and I just can't seem to nail Colin.

You being a boy would make things a little easier. That, and I think it'd be funny to have a "AW Hacker" as the VA for the youngest CO, who also happens to be one of the most broken. hehe

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:03 pm

Ok I will see if I can post something.

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:37 am

pffff

My shot at Adder, obviously.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 am

That was pretty good! :geflash:

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 am

Sorry that I haven't recorded yet, which level's text of colin should I try or will any do?

Wait, wait, wait.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:18 am

Any level will do. Go with the one you like the most, as it might give you more motivation.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:53 pm

sigh...

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm

A project of this scope is bound to have dry spells, especially with the kind of effort it entails.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 pm

DieselPheonix wrote:A project of this scope is bound to have dry spells, especially with the kind of effort it entails.
Thanks for that, man.

I hope things pick up again soon, but I guess a break won't hurt.

MysteriousLad

ML's terrible Voice over of Blue Moon mission 14

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:37 am

Who said anything about taking a break?
It's been a while but here it is, I used mediafire as I don't have soundcloud.
I feel like I have insulted all texans with horrible american accent for grit. I have no opinions so listen to meh collin voice.
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?c9dx92kc2u8q7x2
This is my natural voice, I may have another shot and try using my voice differentley.

Wait, wait, wait.