WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Stage)

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

AzureTranquility

Re: WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting!

Post by AzureTranquility » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:39 am

Linkman wrote:It's not really a game one thinks about voicing, but since we have fond memories of it here, you might have just found the right place.
Boy, you got that right.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:17 am

I wasen't expecting this take... You know, it might just work. I'll wait to hear others' opinion on it before I give it a ranking. Not sure what to rate it at the moment. Again, points for originaility AND getting the memo of adding the download function. If you don't mind, could you also tell me what mission the dialogue is taken from? (If from AW1, A = Andy, B = Max, and C = Sami. Add the letter after the number to designate which character I should be looking up.)
Two Words: Holy CRAP. Even Jess sounded... well, right! This might sound strange, but maybe you should try Kindle and Nell? Dude, seriously. I had a big smile on my face the whole time I listened to this. Again, please tell me the mission this is from, so i can edit it ASAP. OMG! <3 :s: :s: :s:
Linkman wrote:
Hidden Text
Javier: "At last! This old knight is going to make one final, glorious charge! Fighting to defend a lady is the knight's greatest honor... I shall defend you, Dame Jess, even if it means my life is forfeit!"
Did a few Spanish Javiers to compare with Treed's french:

Regular Javier
Lisp Javier
Mexican Javier (?)
Hmm... these are pretty good too. Would it be too crazy if we had Javier constantly changing accents? The french accent sounds so natural, yet going by his name he's obviously spanish. NO ONE CAN MAKE UP THEIR MIND. Once again though, another good batch Linky, even if it was one character, your commitment to doing different takes on the same line is encouraging. I give you a :s: for effort!

Finally, :power: for everyone for remembering the memo! That's going to save me a'lot of trouble, and the samples should be clearer. Linky, did you remember to go back and make your other samples downloadable?

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:33 am

Yeah that's done now.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm

I would definitely do Hawke for obvious reasons if I was both confident in my voice acting abilities and if my voice was deep enough. I may give a general Jugger audition since filters are almost required, and therefore mask both of the previous percieved shortcomings.

Additionally, I have thoughts about your perceptions of each character's general demeanor. These are also not in the order listed, so have fun. Also keep in mind I have not been able to listen to any of the clips, so anything I say that has beeen provided already should be disregarded.
Javier is a Spanish name, so I feel he absolutely must be a Spaniard.
I don't think Jake works well as a gangster sort of dude. He seems like a Californian surfer or just a generic 'bro'.
Lash must be an early teen who is very hyper. Voice similar to Ruby from RoosterTeeth's RWBY series.
Grimm is Japanese (apparently) but I feel he must have a gruff uncle-y sort of voice.
While Koal is small, I don't think his voice should be similar to Colin's. I think a voice similar to every rat in a Disney movie suits him well.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Guys, Nell is a total bitch, a la Kate Gosselin.
Nell: "Rachel, I want you to be careful. This looks like it could be a tough
battle."

Rachel: "Don't you worry about me, Sis. You've got your hands full over in Macro
Land. We may not have a big presence here in Omega Land, but we're not alone.
With all four Allied Nations working together, Black Hole's no match for us!"

Nell: "I'm glad to hear that. Still, I've sent a few of our COs over to give
you a hand. Just hang in there until they can arrive, and don't do anything
rash, OK?"

Rachel: "I've got it, Sis! My Omega Land COs can take anything Black Hole dishes
out."

Nell: "Hah! I know, I know. And with you in the field, I've got nothing to worry
about. I don't think I'll be able to join you, though. That means you're in
charge of field training any new COs, all right?"

Rachel: "Got it!"

Nell: "Good. That is all, soldier! And by the way, don't call me 'Sis,' not when
the other COs might hear."

Rachel: "Oh, yeah. That might get them wondering about your age!"

Nell: "Hey! That's not what I'm saying at all!"

Rachel: "I have my orders, Commander Nell! I'll take care of everything. Rachel,
signing out!" ...Click.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:35 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:I would definitely do Hawke for obvious reasons if I was both confident in my voice acting abilities and if my voice was deep enough. I may give a general Jugger audition since filters are almost required, and therefore mask both of the previous percieved shortcomings.

Additionally, I have thoughts about your perceptions of each character's general demeanor. These are also not in the order listed, so have fun. Also keep in mind I have not been able to listen to any of the clips, so anything I say that has beeen provided already should be disregarded.
Javier is a Spanish name, so I feel he absolutely must be a Spaniard.
I don't think Jake works well as a gangster sort of dude. He seems like a Californian surfer or just a generic 'bro'.
Lash must be an early teen who is very hyper. Voice similar to Ruby from RoosterTeeth's RWBY series.
Grimm is Japanese (apparently) but I feel he must have a gruff uncle-y sort of voice.
While Koal is small, I don't think his voice should be similar to Colin's. I think a voice similar to every rat in a Disney movie suits him well.
I encourage you to at least try! To be honest, you should probaly act fast before kilty attempts to take over everyone,with the help of his lovely assistant Treed.

Heh, I actually like your views on those characters. You know, I'm not trying to sound biased, but Koal having the voice of a rat DOES sound perfect. (Seriously I hate that brat. He's Adder but worse, since he gets advantages on roads.Also, he is the reason I kept losing on Crystal Calamity). I'm going to take your ideas into consideration!
Brava, brava my friend. Unless we can find someone better, I think you'd do fine as Nell. The Rachel wasen't bad, but she sounded a bit too much like Nell(Which is understandable, they are sisters after all). She's gotta be peppier! If there was a rank better than B but below A, that's what I would give for your Rachel. Nell gets an A! I look forward to more of your blessings!

UPDATE: Well, I'm in the process of typing out scripts that match what goes on in my gameplay videos. During the first mission of AW1 I found this little tidbit;

=Day 16: Andy=

Olaf: I lost again!

Olaf: Who in the world are you?

Andy: My name's Andy! I'm the CO.

Andy: This is my advisor.

Olaf: Advisor?

Olaf: We needed no advisor when I was
in the Orange Star Army!

I get Blue Moon is russian... but it looks like the only russians might be Colin and Sasha. This is an interesting development!

Lambda

Re: WWN Presents: Advance Wars With Voice Acting! (Alpha Sta

Post by Lambda » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:54 pm

in the Orange Star Army!

I get Blue Moon is russian... but it looks like the only russians might be Colin and Sasha. This is an interesting development!
Olaf was born in Blue Moon, it's told during the Blue Moon campaign in AW2.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:14 pm

I wasn't a huge fan of Olaf's voice work (nor were you, it seems) so I'm going to give him a try, along with Jugger, Hawke, and maybe a bit of Adder, Koal and Jake. Tomorrow (technically today) is 4th of July, a holiday in the US, so I'll have all day to work it all.

UPDATE: I may or may not have found someone to voice lash (an actual girl woo!). I'll give her a Lash transcript and have her do some lines to see how she stacks up with the given descriptions. Soundcloud link(s) will be given alongside my own whenever they turn up.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Lambda wrote:
in the Orange Star Army!

Olaf was born in Blue Moon, it's told during the Blue Moon campaign in AW2.
Alright... still seems wierd he was in Orange Star at some point though. Now that you mention it, I remember his dialogue from Toy Box. D'oh!

okay, never mind guys! Back to the russian accent!
hawkesnightmare wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of Olaf's voice work (nor were you, it seems) so I'm going to give him a try, along with Jugger, Hawke, and maybe a bit of Adder, Koal and Jake. Tomorrow (technically today) is 4th of July, a holiday in the US, so I'll have all day to work it all.
Yep, I'm not crazy about my Olaf. That said though, the videos I did were done without a script. Maybe if I do the script THEN do the VA, it might be a little better. What did you think of my Grit and Colin? Remember that we are going for a more comedic tone, so if something sound silly, it's fine(Usually).

Actually, on the flip side, being July The 4th there may not be many americans online, they might be busy shooting fireworks. I personally don't do that(I'd rather celebrate that holiday to myself, unless I was with a friend), so I will be available most of the day tomorrow most likely.

But yeah, right now I'm mostly trying to type the scripts, and I think I might give Drake a try, but only if I can get the darned pirate accent down. It's wierd, in my head I envision it, but then my voice can't produce it! I guess I might try Grimm as well, among others. I don't have my take on Kanbei recorded, but I felt it was okay. I couldn't quite get what I was going for, though. I also did Sensei and well... I think someone else could do him justice, but I might give him another go too. Other than Jugger, I'm not touching any of the Black Hole COs because I feel kiltman's got that whole country pegged.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Its been referenced a few times now but what is custom wars?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:01 pm

MysteriousLad wrote:Its been referenced a few times now but what is custom wars?
http://www.customwars.com

It was a fan-made Advance Wars community project to make a 'custom' Advance Wars, around '06 or so. It failed for a variety of critical reasons, but it was fun at the time.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:06 pm

I whipped up two more samples. This time I read off a script. Is there a notable difference in quality? Who knows!

AWDS Mission 12(Lightning Strikes): http://youtu.be/4JQxm9eAhEM

I sample Grimm, Sensei, and Jake, with a joke Rachel and joke Max.

AW2BHR Mission 12(Two-Week Test): http://youtu.be/7vSL9-iiiXc

I give Colin, Grit, and even Olaf another go. Don't expect greatness from Olaf, again, it's just filler. Oh and a wierd voice for Lash for funsies, don't take it seriously(or comedically, as the case may be)

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:00 am

Can you lower the game music? It makes it hard to hear the voices.

EDIT: No need to re-edit, just for future vids.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:44 am

Linkman wrote:Can you lower the game music? It makes it hard to hear the voices.

The only way I could "lower" the game volume would be to re-record it on my mic. WMV doesn't seem to have an "amplify/de-amplify" function like my audio editing program does. But yeah I get what you're saying. Thanks for the heads-up.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:30 am

As to the question of which game to do the voices for first: I think AWDS has the most opportunities for people to do different voices thanks to the large cast. I'd say go with that one first.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:56 am

HPD wrote:As to the question of which game to do the voices for first: I think AWDS has the most opportunities for people to do different voices thanks to the large cast. I'd say go with that one first.
For the most part, I agree. In that case, I'll start prioritizing scripts and samples for AWDS from here on out. I won't force anyone to stick exclusively to it, but it might be best to stick to AWDS(Which, coincidentally, have been the majority of the samples lately so... good job guys?).

I still have to record Missions 23-28(Don't tell anyone on my channel though, it's supposed to SUPER SECRET MMKAY), and upload them to my channel before I can edit any samples into those. By all means submit them now, but you might be waiting a while for a video(Not that the video is absolutely necessary to judge the quality of the VA, if anything without the game audio we can judge it more clearly)

In all seriousness though, if you guys saw the script I typed just for the first mission of AW1... that one's a whopper. AWDS scripts will probaly be massive as well, especially if I have to note everyone's pre-battle lines. It would be tedious to record anything beyond the first line they say in battle. I think maybe to save on effort, we shouldn't voice those post-battle quotes, especially since they tend to overlap with the two characters. (For example, if you win with Jake and Rachel, both will start saying their quotes at almost the same time after the results screen. In a VA situation that would be extremely ackward), Just the intro and most of the battle portions. Feel free to offer other suggestions and alternatives though.

I guess if we're gonna do AWDS first, we may as well do the series in reverse order. AW1 will be the hardest because of all the alternate paths and dialogue(Which, thankfully I have recorded all but the alternate version of The Final Battle!, so we're pretty much good on the gameplay front I think, speedy text aside)

In the meantime, let's see if kilty pops back up, and the incoming samples from hawkesnightmare and the others. Since it's Dual Strike, we're going to need VA for every character on the list except Sturm and maybe Hachi. So any and all Sturm auditions will be put on hold, unless I just REALLY want to make a video to match the dialogue, lol.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:09 am

Hello! I'll be a bit patchy over the next couple of days, moving flats at the moment.

As for discussion of the direction that the videos take, I'd really very heavily encourage a comedic spin on the characters and the script. I think that what this project actually is at its heart is ridiculous, and if it isn't treated as such then it will fall flat, y'know?

Also, I know this may make video editing more difficult, but I heavily recommend not trimming the audio clips too much to fit the text as far as possible. I've done a fair bit of acting and theatre, and if I'm treating a text like a script then there will be some natural pauses and gaps between words, because that sounds natural. If those are lost the sentences sound really breathless and sound off. I'd also recommend not using pitch altering methods to, for example, make the female voices higher pitched. You ever seen Bob's Burgers? Tina in that has a quite obviously man's voice, but it works & it's hilarious.

I'd like to do a few more voices tonight if possible, but we'll see how I get on with packing. Oh god so much packing.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:50 am

AzureTranquility wrote:
Linkman wrote:Can you lower the game music? It makes it hard to hear the voices.

The only way I could "lower" the game volume would be to re-record it on my mic. WMV doesn't seem to have an "amplify/de-amplify" function like my audio editing program does. But yeah I get what you're saying. Thanks for the heads-up.
I'm sure someone has a YouTube video of all of the Advance Wars music somewhere. Just download that, throw your own audio in with the download into Audacity, match the music up, mute your video, and record your voice. Then play around with the audio levels on the separate tracks until you get a desirable mix. Then throw that together with the video and upload.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:51 am

Also, in case you didn't see:
hawkesnightmare wrote:UPDATE: I may or may not have found someone to voice lash (an actual girl woo!). I'll give her a Lash transcript and have her do some lines to see how she stacks up with the given descriptions. Soundcloud link(s) will be given alongside my own whenever they turn up.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:14 am

Kiltman2 wrote:Hello! I'll be a bit patchy over the next couple of days, moving flats at the moment.

As for discussion of the direction that the videos take, I'd really very heavily encourage a comedic spin on the characters and the script. I think that what this project actually is at its heart is ridiculous, and if it isn't treated as such then it will fall flat, y'know?

Also, I know this may make video editing more difficult, but I heavily recommend not trimming the audio clips too much to fit the text as far as possible. I've done a fair bit of acting and theatre, and if I'm treating a text like a script then there will be some natural pauses and gaps between words, because that sounds natural. If those are lost the sentences sound really breathless and sound off. I'd also recommend not using pitch altering methods to, for example, make the female voices higher pitched. You ever seen Bob's Burgers? Tina in that has a quite obviously man's voice, but it works & it's hilarious.
Kilty! I'm glad to see you return! Moving can be hard(I should know, in my 22 years of life I've had to deal with more moves than I can count on my two hands), so feel free to take your time, and your input is appreciated. You are right in that sometimes it's okay to have a man voice a woman... though to be fair, Treed already DESTROYED that perception with his Jess and Nell performances. I'd like to think I was a little more silly with the last batch of videos, but I can't help but be super serial sometimes! It will make the editing harder, but I'd rather respect your wishes. I apologize for everything up to this point!

Looking forward to your next samples!
Kiltman2 wrote:I'd like to do a few more voices tonight if possible, but we'll see how I get on with packing. Oh god so much packing.
Must be some sort of an installation!
hawkesnightmare wrote:UPDATE: I may or may not have found someone to voice lash (an actual girl woo!). I'll give her a Lash transcript and have her do some lines to see how she stacks up with the given descriptions. Soundcloud link(s) will be given alongside my own whenever they turn up.
Oh my lord I hope this turns out good! I don't think the human ears can handle my Lash impression, lol

(I swear, it's like every other hour this thread gets good news)
Last edited by AzureTranquility on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:19 am

It depends. Her natural voice is kind of nasally and the generic "nerd" sort of voice, so it depends. I must say though, she doesn't know what Advance Wars is, so she has no context for anything and probably won't understand what she's even saying.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:22 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:It depends. Her natural voice is kind of nasally and the generic "nerd" sort of voice, so it depends. I must say though, she doesn't know what Advance Wars is, so she has no context for anything and probably won't understand what she's even saying.
You could have her at least play a little bit of Advance Wars 2, maybe? Lash shows up in one of the Orange Star missions, so if she follows a step-by-step, she could make it there in less than an hour. Her natural voice may work well for Sonja, actually(But good lord would it take a while to get to that point in AW2)

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:25 am

I gave her a script from AWDS, since Lash has a much bigger presence there and there are more scenes to choose from. I sorta got a whole range of perceived "tones" to get a full gauge of abilities.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:27 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:I gave her a script from AWDS, since Lash has a much bigger presence there and there are more scenes to choose from. I sorta got a whole range of perceived "tones" to get a full gauge of abilities.
You do have a good point there. Well, let's see how it goes. I have high hopes!

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:18 am

Yeah, I'm with Kilty, of course. The AW games have pretty awful stories but cute and colourful characters, so an irreverent and ridiculous tone suits this project best. I wouldn't be against rewriting or ad-libbing lines for comedy, too. Plus, yeah, the videos need to leave time for pauses without speeding up or switching voices' pitches, as hilarious as it was to hear my pitch-corrected Nell in the vid.

And man, guys, this topic is a treasure. It's an archive of the personalities of all the WWNers I love. Though, like, more of you should submit samples, eh?

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:18 am

Treedweller wrote:Yeah, I'm with Kilty, of course. The AW games have pretty awful stories but cute and colourful characters, so an irreverent and ridiculous tone suits this project best. I wouldn't be against rewriting or ad-libbing lines for comedy, too. Plus, yeah, the videos need to leave time for pauses without speeding up or switching voices' pitches, as hilarious as it was to hear my pitch-corrected Nell in the vid.

And man, guys, this topic is a treasure. It's an archive of the personalities of all the WWNers I love. Though, like, more of you should submit samples, eh?
Well, from here on out I'm not even going to touch the damn pitch changer. That said, the main reason the pitch was raised was because of the program I've been using. For some reason, speeding up lowers the volume, but if it's speed+pitch the volume remains the same(or close to it). But again, no more messing with pitch. I can say that it did mess with not only my own recordings(Good lord my Sensei was raped), but also kilty's and treed's, among others. Adder's voice changed so many times during the Mission 24 video... argh.

(Kilty+Treed VA dream team ftw)

Hawke from a tablet

Post by Hawke from a tablet » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:29 am

I think that in order to get the timing right, record all of the voices first and then go back and listen to the tape while going through the dialogue in game. That way, audio/video sync is ensured.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:37 am

Hawke from a tablet wrote:I think that in order to get the timing right, record all of the voices first and then go back and listen to the tape while going through the dialogue in game. That way, audio/video sync is ensured.
That's not too far off from what I actually do. What I do, is place the audio over the gameplay(Making sure it's muted first), then I keep playing the audio over and over, editing the parts with too much or too little(Usually the former) spacing, until the audio and the dialogue match. Sometimes I get it exact, but most of the times I'm satisfied if it's within a few milliseconds.

Trying to record your voice while reading the game's dialogue go by is also a bit janky. Hence why I've been going the script route since the last batch of samples I did.

(Pretty cool, Hawke from a tablet. It's like a secret alt)

UPDATE: Well, if nothing else, this should at least demonstrate voice filters with Jugger. I guess it's just another terrible performance though.

Jugger & Jake: http://youtu.be/CrCPUhUyFy0

Does Jugger sound better wiht a lighter or deeper voice?

UPDATE2: Oh look, my millionth attempt at Colin! This time I go for a meeker demeanor(Trying to make it more comedic...), but with my crappy VA skills maybe it won't be reflected. Ah well. I love this little guy. lol

AWDS The Ocean Blue Full: http://youtu.be/ab-w-2gX_6E
Last edited by AzureTranquility on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:06 pm

I actually just got working on my own Jugger stuff. It's only one line, but it should encompass what I am thinking, and the requisite voice effects.
https://soundcloud.com/hawkesnightmare/jugger-line

Seems to be a bit quiet. I'll edit that in future iterations.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:21 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:I actually just got working on my own Jugger stuff. It's only one line, but it should encompass what I am thinking, and the requisite voice effects.
https://soundcloud.com/hawkesnightmare/jugger-line

Seems to be a bit quiet. I'll edit that in future iterations.
Bam, you just completely stomped my performance. In one line. Oy!

Next, your friend will probaly squash my female voices

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:11 pm

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:17 am

https://soundcloud.com/hawkesnightmare/ ... characters

The differing volumes in the lines is because it's three separate tracks pasted together, and I individually amplified each track, so it's not a uniform volume. Still, just some more lines to play with.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:28 am

You should change your name to juggersnightmare. To be honest, I was thinking of Jugger having a voice similar to E-102 Gamma from Sonic Adventure. I tried to do it, but I couldn't make it sound the way Iw anted it to(Big shocker), so I decidedto go with the Macho Jugger instead, which you do a better job of. I'll be revising your rank from A to S.

As STUPID, DOPE, HIP n' HAPPENING my Jake is, I think Blame is better suited. Will be revising your rank as well.

If things keep moving at the speed they're going, we might be entering beta in a couple months or so. In beta, we'll be directly recording lines for the game, which will be edited into the videos, and they will be the real deal, not samples(Though some bonus ones could be added to a bonus video!)

This might be a bit pre-emptive, but I've compiled a list of who I think should voice whom;

:os: Andy
So far, I've voiced him, kiltman has voiced him, and linkman has voiced him. I hear tell Dragonite makes a mean Andy, so I'll wait to see if he submits a sample before we conduct a poll(Should this be a separate topic or keep it in here?). Right now in my opinion, I really liked kilt's wacky take on him, and Linkman was pretty good too though he had more Eagle and Sami lines, so I don't think he reached his full Andy potential, so to speak.

:os: Max
kiltman has voiced him, in a surprisingly non-comedic manner. I also tried Max, but it was nowhere near as good as kilt's(It was one line, so it doesn't count AFAIC). I think we need to hear a couple more samples before polling.

:os: Sami
If we can't find a female VA for her, we will have to rely on kilt's funny as hell voice, or Treed's potentially awesome voice(Because he hasen't tried to voice Sami yet)

:os: Jake
As I mentioned, blame seems to be the best candidate so far, though the other ones weren't bad. If I could do my Jake a little better, it'd probaly be a worthy contender as well. (Nah!)

:os: Rachel
Treed delivered the lines really really well, but I think Rachel is too peppy to have even a medium-pitch voice. Treed, for what it's worth, I loved your performance, and I'm going to try and immortalize it, same with the other "Great, but didn't make it" voice samples.

:os: Nell
Treed nailed it. I think we can get away with a dude voicing her, especially when it's as good as Treed's performance. If we don't get a female VA for her soon, we won't need to conduct a poll either.

:bm: Olaf
Other than my crappy performances, no one has tried to voice him yet. Crappy is better than nothing... I suppose if one can't do a russian accent, go for the obvious Santa Claus reference.

:bm: Grit
I wonder why I'm the only one who's tried to voice him so far? I thought there'd be a long line, kinda like it is with Eagle and Hawke. I think I'm getting a little better voicing him, but I don't know if everyone else is on board with it or not. Being the guy doing the editing, I guess voicing at least one or two characters is expected... possum spit!

:bm: Colin
Same situation as Grit.

:bm: Sasha
I surprised myself when I tried to do a voice for her. But, it'd probaly better to let a girl do the job.

:yc: Kanbei
The only one who's done an impression was Joey, and it seemed interesting, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet. I did dabble with it, but I didn't like it, so it never got recorded. I get the feeling that the wait will be worth it.

:yc: Sonja
the female friend hawkesnightmare mentioned could probaly voice her, if her Lash VA is good. Sonja and Lash have a'lot in common.

:yc: Sensei
my performance of him made me cranky. We need more samples.

:yc: Grimm
See above. HPD promises to give him a try... SAVE US.

:ge: Eagle
Both kilty and Linkman did Eagle justice, but I'm leaning towards Linkman. Once again, there will be polls.

:ge: Drake
kilty's is the only performance so far. Unlike Olaf, her was actually pretty good so if no one else attempts him, we're going with GERMAN PHANTOMIME.

:ge: Jess
<3 Treed. Nuff said. Sorry girls.

:ge: Javier
Treed's is the definitive, but Linkman's different accents were good too. If we go with the "alternating accents" Javier, then we'll have our first(and maybe only) dual VA. "I'm french!" "Wait, no, I'm spanish!" "Now I have a lisp!"

:bh: Sturm
Farting in a trumpet, anyone? hawknesnightmare could probaly nail this guy.

:bh: Flak
kilty is all we need. DONKAY!

:bh: Lash
Waiting on hawkesnightmare's female friend.

:bh: Adder
Same as Flak. It's closer to the truth!

:bh: Hawke
kilty's performance seems definitive, but more samples might be good to have. Maybe he might be better having different VAs for AW2 and AWDS, seeings as he's a villain in one and a hero in the other.

:bh: Jugger
hawkesnightmare nailed it. Don't think anyone else will attempt him... unless kilty pulls a sneak attack.

:bh: Koal
My small performance was kinda funny, but maybe someone else can do better. Besides, I HATE this guy. :S

:bh: Kindle
TREED! WE NEED YOU!

:bh: Von Bolt
I don't think is a hard one to do. There will be more wheezing than anything, so this will be on of the least taxing VAs(Or one of the most, depending)

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:46 am

AzureTranquility wrote: :os: Jake
As I mentioned, blame seems to be the best candidate so far, though the other ones weren't bad. If I could do my Jake a little better, it'd probaly be a worthy contender as well. (Nah!)
I'll see what I can do. I was imagining Jake as the generic "bro" so if I can pull off that constantly stoned sort of voice, I'll give it a shot.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bm: Olaf
Other than my crappy performances, no one has tried to voice him yet. Crappy is better than nothing... I suppose if one can't do a russian accent, go for the obvious Santa Claus reference.
I can pull off a Russian accent fairly well, so I'll also try some Olaf and see how it turns out.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bm: Grit
I wonder why I'm the only one who's tried to voice him so far? I thought there'd be a long line, kinda like it is with Eagle and Hawke. I think I'm getting a little better voicing him, but I don't know if everyone else is on board with it or not. Being the guy doing the editing, I guess voicing at least one or two characters is expected... possum spit!
I live in the Midwest US, so all sorts of US accents are around us. There are about four different types of southern accent, so I'll be experimenting with which one I think suits Grit best.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bh: Sturm
Farting in a trumpet, anyone? hawknesnightmare could probaly nail this guy.
More filters will be needed so that Sturm is almost imcomprehensible, but very doable.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bh: Lash
Waiting on hawkesnightmare's female friend.
Gave her the script, waiting on the sound files. It may take a little bit due to her school and work situation, so if anyone else thinks they can pull off "hyper 14 year old girl," go for it.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bh: Adder
Same as Flak. It's closer to the truth!
I'll be testing a slightly different take on Adder when I try out my Hawke.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bh: Hawke
kilty's performance seems definitive, but more samples might be good to have. Maybe he might be better having different VAs for AW2 and AWDS, seeings as he's a villain in one and a hero in the other.
See above.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bh: Jugger
hawkesnightmare nailed it. Don't think anyone else will attempt him... unless kilty pulls a sneak attack.
NEVAR
AzureTranquility wrote: :bh: Koal
My small performance was kinda funny, but maybe someone else can do better. Besides, I HATE this guy. :S
I may know someone who will be willing to try this little rat. The guy lacks all emotion though, so quality may be iffy.
AzureTranquility wrote: :bh: Von Bolt
I don't think is a hard one to do. There will be more wheezing than anything, so this will be on of the least taxing VAs(Or one of the most, depending)
He won't be too hard to do for me as well. Pretty much just Dark Knight Rises Bane with heavy breathing.

Additionally, we might want to see if we can get Monkymeet or Deoxy (females) to do some of the voices if they're up for it. Man-actors are all well and fine, but can almost never match the way an actual girl's voice sounds.

tl;dr I'll be trying anyone who isn't a kid and/or a girl.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:05 am

I mean, I'm fine with voicing Koal in the end(a bad performance for a character I hate? I'm ok with this), but it would have to be a DEFINITIVE job in order for there not to be multiple samples, and even some of the more hi-tech performances had a sample or two prior or after(In your case hawke, like, seconds).

Are monkey and deoxy active? Like, have they been online recently? You'd think a topic like this would spark their curiosity. :o

Oh yeah forgot to mention, someone on YouTube watched one of my... VA samples, and offered to lend a hand. He's only had a little experience with the first game, but it's better than nothing. Maybe he can voice some of the characters without many samples, like Kanbei. He never said he'd limit himself to the first game though, so expect anything. His youtube is GrayFoxxGaming. He also has a dub channel).

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:12 am

I just had a thought. We seem to think that Green Earth is based on Germany, given Jess' love of tanks and the obvious Kraut helmets. But Javier is from either France or Spain, Eagle might be from the UK (RAF, anyone?), and no one knows where Drake is supposed to be from. So Green Earth might be the entirety of Europe, so a uniform German accent may not be required.

EDIT: Found name origins for Drake. It's apparently Old/Middle english, which makes sense since England had a pretty impressive fleet back in the day. (Not sure about its state now)

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:18 am

I gave Grimm, Sensei and Grit a go. My accent is a tad slippery but I can work on it

Yeah, I'd like to redo Eagle & give Olaf a go. I uh. May be biting off more than I can chew. But yeah, boom!

As for Green Earth, I think just vaguely Western European is fine.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:27 am

Oh jebus. Grimm is perfect. That's all I got to listen to before I had to turn it off so I wouldn't look like a lunatic giggling in the corner.

AzureTranquility

Post by AzureTranquility » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:20 am

Kiltman2 wrote:I gave Grimm, Sensei and Grit a go. My accent is a tad slippery but I can work on it

Yeah, I'd like to redo Eagle & give Olaf a go. I uh. May be biting off more than I can chew. But yeah, boom!

As for Green Earth, I think just vaguely Western European is fine.
Grimm is great! I haden't thought of taking it in that angle, actually. Sensei was alright; Didn't sound like his age affected him much though! Grit sounds like a cowboy from the old west... which is great!

Another great batch from kilty, and probaly another locked role. We'll be getting at least two Olaf samples, so I think I can rest in peace with that guy. I'm still iffy on Kanbei though!

hawke, were you giggling because it was funny or because of how good his performance was? Because I felt a similar feeling with Treed's Javier. PERMANENT SMILE I KID YOU NOT, I don't even think it was voluntary. My brain obviously loved what my ears were hearing and sent an involuntary pulse.

i wonder though, should there be a limit of the amount of character a VA should do? We want this to be a group project, and with only about 25-30 characters, if we had 4 guys doing 5 voices each, or 5 guys doing 4 voices each, it would seem a bit... can't think of the word, but you know what I mean right? lol
I'm talking about the final roles though, because we can make samples of whoever the hell we want just for the hell of it. I think 3 characters per VA would be fair, but I'm going to take everyone's input into consideration.

(Alternatively, maybe there could be a version where kilty voices everyone, even if he doesn't fit the character. If his Sami was any indication... it would make a great blooper reel.)
Last edited by AzureTranquility on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:42 am

This project is only as limited as our resources are. If we can only get five people to voice the characters, so be it. The good thing is, the voices that require heavy filters (Jugger, Sturm, Von Bolt) won't be easily recognizable, so whoever does those will in theory be able to do more without overstepping the "voice familiarity limit" (gave my girlfriend the link for my Jugger bits, and she couldn't tell it was me talking). Another way to get around the limit is the person having a wide variety of accents and being able to alter their voice enough so that each one is unrecognizable from the next. So far, the only one who can adequately do this is Kilty. I believe I can as well, but I'll let you all decide after I put in more samples.

Editing voices is also an option. I've considered dropping the pitch of my voice slightly in post for my Hawke lines, to get that "big manly serious" sort of voice. The same may be viable for anyone who cares to try a female voice. If Kilty would be kind enough to send me a download link for the Grimm/Sensei/Grit sample (remember, Soundcloud makes everything quieter), I'd like to play with pitching options there and see if I can pull out a slightly more gruff voice for Grimm.