Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

McTool

Re: 10

Post by McTool » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:38 am

#15 rank wise, Not Bad
Make good choices

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:13 am

i have a different kind of ranking

10. Guesty
always an extremely prominent and super positive member in whatever role it was. i think super conspicuous in his (general) absence these days, moreso than other big members

9. Deoxy
really scary personality initially that stuck with me for a while

8. thefalman
7. RadioShadow

introduced me to my favorite band and favorite youtuber, respectively, that's worth a lot even if i never talked to them!

6. Kireato
always seemed to wind up in the more interesting discussions about advance wars. including heated/memorable ones with me, once or twice!

5. Gipface
i extremely dislike him now, but there was a point where his dedication to AW4 was something i did look up to. contributed a lot to DoR and influenced the way i think about games. it's too bad it's all so overshadowed by every other awful thing

4. CO_Frosty
the best overall contributor to the design/creative side of custom wars by far. i know most people here distance themselves from that but it was just another arm of wwn to me, and frosty was the no-crumpets guy who legitimately wanted to see things succeed and put in smart, consistent work to accomplish that. a lot of people whined and complained about custom wars purely because it was fashionable, or because they had nothing better to say or contribute. when frosty complained, it was because the project, while clearly doomed, was something he was prepared to somehow make succeed if he could. he was generally really easy to get along with too and i personally learned a lot about the game from him. his custom cos were really good, too! i still sneakily check up on this guy's smogon posts every couple years or so

3. Terragent
this man was fudge hulk hogan in the gfaqs days. one of the first 'big impressive smart person with smart words saying smart things' personalities i ever encountered on the internet. 'jess is not underpowered' had me completely amazed and i guess i basically patterned a lot of my thinking when it comes to games off of that for some time. i think i wrote some crappy offshoot about lash that ended up in olaf's chair.

2. Treedweller
an extremely 'unique voice' by any standard, there's really no solid category for treed's wwn personality. super earnest and nice, which already seems very rare on the internet for anyone over the age of 14. it's like treed just took several very good but somewhat boring human attributes and then combined them with his mysterious x-factor that makes him the ultimate pleasant-yet-fascinating individual i've seen online. we didn't really interact directly too much, and when we did i'm pretty sure it was usually some crumpets me/joey drama with him patiently telling us to shut the fudge up or whatever. when he wanted to be, he was one of the most exciting members to talk about the game with though. if you go back and read posts from the early days of dor, treed's presence is actually nonstop joy and delight. two words that, again, really have no business describing the activities of a member of some seedy, outdated video game fansite. treed makes 'straightforwardly good, nice, and thoughtful' cool and mysterious.

1. Sven
super infectious personality from the get-go, combined with, if not the best understanding of the game of advance wars, then the best ability to articulate it, miles and miles ahead of anyone else. obviously i had to latch onto this guy immediately. lack of interest in dor always made me sad and our general ability to relate basically dwindled to zero in the wake of that, but sven was always the one member i craved having a good deep conversation with. i'm not sure it's ever really happened and i guess it probably never will at this point, but he's still that guy to me to some extent. you never know, i guess

now i'm off to alert joey

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVkUvmDQ3HY

fine, video. don't embed.

asshole.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:24 am

No real rankings and stuff for me.

But, honestly, thank you everyone for being awesome and the wonderful community. Sure, it's dying right now and there are been many people I haven't talked to in a long while, but it's been a great time.

Love ya all~
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:57 am

by the way i don't remember what gabe's favorite youtuber is. it's either this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVUMdkg78tc

or this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW6bjWfDzeM

do embeds just straight up not work anymore

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:07 am

ranking people is a pretty crumpets and unrespectful thing to do imo

and mm, people have said we're dying from the very beginning. i've stopped taking that seriously really
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:12 am

BG, reading your description of me made me smile, and made my day. You're a wonderful guy, and I'm glad you're still around. I'm dying to know who your favourite band is, though.

HPD, you're being a total sourpuss. If it's any consolation, you're #1 in my heart. Actually, maybe you're #1 in the upper-mid tier of my heart. But that's still pretty good!

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:16 am

monkymeet wrote:No real rankings and stuff for me.

But, honestly, thank you everyone for being awesome and the wonderful community. Sure, it's dying right now and there are been many people I haven't talked to in a long while, but it's been a great time.

Love ya all~
I haven't talked to you in forever, monky darling, and I regret it. Know, though, that you're still special to me. You introduced me to music that I listen to obsessively even today (M83, Neon Indian, Yelle), and fuelled my burgeoning, late-blooming musical exploration.

Every time I listen to M83's Saturdays = Youth or Neon Indian's Era Extrana, I think of you.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:22 am

i'm gonna be listing stuff, haven't decided if it's ranking. but you'd better believe i thought about ranking people, mostly because that's awesome.

his favorite band is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S10cuVVxF7c

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:27 am

How did I not know about Howling Bells? The lead singer has a beautiful voice.

Also Joey, I'm glad you're back on WWN. You're somewhere near the top of the upper tier of my heart. You're an entire tier above HPD!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:40 am

your friends with him on facebook, yeah? the lead singer is juanita stein, the girl in his profile picture

i've come a long way, that's one thing i'll say haha

i'm "back" but i sort of pop in and out. i'm here right now because gabe summoned me

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:50 am

sorry dear Treedle, I just had a very busy and long week
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:56 am

whats my ranking

is it #114
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:16 am

uh to be clear my list wasn't a 'this is how much i like this person' ranking, as i'm sure many people could surmise by the fact that gipface was on it, it was an 'amount of impact this person has on me or had on me when i was younger' thing, anyway sorry you hate it

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:18 am

also i'm not sure what joey was going for with the youtube thing, but this is of course my favorite guy and i weirdly wouldn't have known about him without radioshadow posting this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zOQq2N3xA

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:20 am

oh fudge i forgot about zeeff

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:20 am

for me he transcended youtube sorta? i guess?

Blame Game

Post by Blame Game » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 am

yes me too but 'still'

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:45 am

sven and deoxy pretty much wrecked my posting style for years

im still recovering

so yeah they're probably 1 and 2 in terms of influence, in no particular order
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:47 am

^do you mean the no caps plus double line break?

yeah i still do that crumpets

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:00 pm

I'm always happy to read overly in-depth analysing of what we all mean to each other.

Well, since I'm in the mood now,(and it's the 21st anyway) HPD does a good job of being both a admin, a active poster, and a lynch magne, and bearing it all well. You deserve some kind of compliment at least.

I also remember being a bit more as ease here in the very early phase(I started as guest poster), with him also being a dutch guy. I had never posted really much on a internet forum before, and my experiece prior to WWN wasn't all that great. This always has been a very safe place to me as a teenager,especially when I ran into hard times in late 2008, and also as a young adult I feel very comfortable.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:31 pm

sweet, i'm really scary. rawr
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:07 pm

So, y'all wanna hang around on the IRC/forum on the 21st and 22nd (depending on your timezone, whatever) and see if we can round up more old members to celebrate with us?

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 pm

warning: i am pretty fudge tipsy as i come home tongiht, i'm gonna be drinking a little bit more tonight as i make this post. w/e i won't regret this fudge too much.
HPD wrote:ranking people is a pretty crumpets and unrespectful thing to do imo

and mm, people have said we're dying from the very beginning. i've stopped taking that seriously really
fudge you buddy, you told me once you thought i wasn't a real WWNer, this was like in 2006 or something. after that i thought for a long ass time that you had a huge ass stick up your ass. then you travelled the fudge around the world to meet xen and chilled the fudge out basically post your undergrad hahaha. you hella cool man. wanna make sure you know i love you and i razz the fudge outta you just cause you have the best fudge reactions. xen is fudge stone and i can't get crumpets out of him.
pkdragon wrote:sven and deoxy pretty much wrecked my posting style for years

im still recovering

so yeah they're probably 1 and 2 in terms of influence, in no particular order
aww. <3. i never relaly tried to make a style, this was mostly just the most convenient way for me to post after a while. while i certainyl try to entertain to some extent with this style, i mostly want to just stay true to the way i genuinely think about things. also the lower caps are to make sure i never take myself too seriously.

i just want ot let you know you were one of the people that made me completely okay with having 'nerrdy' hobbies. you'd go on and post about the animes you'd watch and the fudge scifi novels you'd read without a care in the world, and i'd just be like uhhhh i'm normal i swear. i dunno.

sometimes when i'm donw i just open up the angst topic and i see the first quote you've posted from fudge shinji or whatever the fudge saying i will not run away. and to me that's fudge mindblowing, to me it's a bold statement saying look, i'm fudge aware this is as pathetic as fudge hell, but this is what i honestly enjoy spending my time on. fudge take me or leave me as i am, this is my fudge angst topic.

to me that takes a huge amount of fudge balls and i've reread that post of yours often over the past five yeras.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:38 pm

You're the best, Sven, even (and especially) when drunk. I love you, man.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:46 pm

aww treed.

dude you were one of the first people i'd run into either online or off that genuinely accepted the idea of using self help books unironically in a reasonable way. like i'd met people who'd found books that solved all their problems or whatever, but that's obviously fudge crumpets. and i'd also dealt with people 24/7 who were huge math nerd types who were like "WOW THAT SELF HELP BOOK IS A COMPLETE WASte OF tiME get GOOD SVEN."

its like you know about the importance of being earnest or some crumpets. i aint gonna lie that being well read helped make your posts more entertaining.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:52 pm

ha haa ha sven reads self help books LOL

McTool

Post by McTool » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:33 am

happy 10 years y'all

damn
Make good choices

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:04 am

top quality topic
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:36 am

Kids, join us on the IRC! I have a million things to do today, but I'd rather wax poetic with you all on the good old days, and look forward to better times to come. Or the sad, eventual, slow death of our forum. But I'm sure there'll be some pretty okay times before that point!

Happy birthday, WWN.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 am

Yo guys, thanks to my mad social skillz, the IRC's jumping. Join us!

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:58 am

http://z9.invisionfree.com/AW2_Debate_a ... =1474&st=0

"Awesome stuff you've sent me, Growshroom. I enjoy it muchly.. hehehe..." - HPD, circa 2005

">_> I shoulda chosen the last one, but I'd say 9-12 >_> Actually, probably less, because we've been moving dry.gif

I haven't actually taken that much of a count." - PK, also 2005

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:37 am

ahhhhhh history is delicious

also will totally jump into the irc later but today was a bit of a family day

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks to all who came to the IRC today. I had a ball with you all, and it was great hearing from the members that we've lost touch with lately.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Also Sven, please shrink this and turn it into your avatar:

EDIT: Yo, admin darlings, could you fix the BBCode? It's turned off here.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Fixed.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

daisy

Post by daisy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Out of interest, who is that? I want to say Stalin.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:39 pm

it is indeed stalin

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:33 pm

stalin was hotter than a mug
wisdom

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:51 pm

So is Sven, incidentally.