attention united kingdom liberals and blairites

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

Joey

attention united kingdom liberals and blairites

Post by Joey » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:23 am

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Dragonite

Re: attention united kingdom liberals and blairites

Post by Dragonite » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:07 am

Just started fresh in Political Sciences, the lecturer spelled out what effects his leadership of Labour might have. Aside from the establishment disliking him, and risk of having the party split, this might also potentionally affect the UK's fate in the European Union, according to him.

What does Bog think of him?

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:10 am

hahahaidontgetwhyheslaughinghaha

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Some labour dude got elected? I googled and it seemed like the only relevant thing.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Supposedly he's an extreme leftist or whatever.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:41 pm

As a moderate labour activist MRW

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:17 am

i never knew there were more than two panels to that comic
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:27 pm

Kiltman2 wrote:As a moderate labour activist MRW

yeah this is exactly what i'm looking for

suck it you moderate coward

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:14 pm

vote dog for world leader

Kilty

Post by Kilty » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:31 pm

Go to hell Una, it's not your country's poor that's going to suffer from an incompetent opposition.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:47 pm

#shotsfired

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Why do you specifically think Corbyn is good for the UK Joey? I get that the New Labour movement in the party is questionable, especially Blair. It would be nice if he was able to turn the current situation around with the domestic affairs. I'm more concerned about how he's going to handle foreign affairs(again, my lecturer referred to that again, but it's still up in the air).

And as for me, I'm just glad we have a party culture that allows more viable parties, and lacks district voting for that matter. I've gathered from my boosk that it's typical for Dutch people to find the district system unfair on first glance, since representation of all votes is just so important to us historically. At least we don't end up in the mess USA and UK politics are in.

Edit: just got more explainations about this. Enlightement whoo.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:37 am

right now I'm more wooed with the fact that Abbott got voted out
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:27 am

^yeah HOLY crumpets right

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:29 am

but anyway "incompetent opposition" is a nice way of validating right wing press attacks that have the chance of terrifying liberal-leaning butts

did you notice at all how many more people voted in your party elections? how many people came into the fold?

anyway re: corbyn he's not god, he's just "acceptable, i guess"

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:27 am

HPD wrote:right now I'm more wooed with the fact that Abbott got voted out
If you really want to enjoy the schadenfreude, he is ineligible for the Prime Minister's Pension by 4 days.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:27 am

Xenesis wrote:
HPD wrote:right now I'm more wooed with the fact that Abbott got voted out
If you really want to enjoy the schadenfreude, he is ineligible for the Prime Minister's Pension by 4 days.
i love this

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:31 am

ps i'm not laughing at the uk people because i think that bad things will actually happen in the uk. i'm laughing at moderates wetting their pants because i believe that a leftist approach to politics actually works

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:24 am

Is he definitely ineligible for the pension?

I'm assuming he's still PM as he hasn't been seen at all, and he needs to actually front up to the GG and formally hand over Prime Ministership.
Maybe he's going to stay in his hermit-hole until Friday.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:49 am

Like so: http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/20 ... ers-office

I'm actually surprised by the outcome. I was pretty sure that the Liberals were going to stick with Abbott come hell or high water, just to avoid making the same move that they had publicly excoriated Labor over - especially since the conservatives in the party loathe Turnbull and will probably be a thorn in his side throughout his tenure. But I was wrong!

Abbott was always going to be a one-term Prime Minister, the only real difference is he was dispatched by Turnbull in 2015 instead of by the electorate in 2016. Turnbull might be able to win, but this "might" depends on him actually changing some of the party's policies, which he's currently said he will not do (likely because he doesn't want an immediate revolt from the right-wingers). Iunno, interesting times and all.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Alecat wrote:Is he definitely ineligible for the pension?

I'm assuming he's still PM as he hasn't been seen at all, and he needs to actually front up to the GG and formally hand over Prime Ministership.
Maybe he's going to stay in his hermit-hole until Friday.
Definitely. Tony signed the writs with the Governor General today and Malcolm has been sworn in as 29th Prime Minister because if they didn't the first action for the sitting of Parliament this week would have been an official no-confidence motion, so no joy for Tony. Of course, I don't think the $300,000 pa pension he's entitled to as a member of Parliament of 16-20 years is anything to balk at regardless.
Joey wrote:ps i'm not laughing at the uk people because i think that bad things will actually happen in the uk. i'm laughing at moderates wetting their pants because i believe that a leftist approach to politics actually works
"leftist" in the USA sense (a.k.a centrist), or leftist in the rest-of-the world sense?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:32 pm

Corbyn is pretty damn Left - in many ways he's a good representative of what the UK Labour party was like before Blair took it to the centre in the 90s. He supports nationalisation of infrastructure, nuclear disarmament, and a few other positions that "New Labour" wouldn't even imagine backing. In Australia you'd have to look even further back to find somebody like Corbyn; I don't think any of our actual Prime Ministers were really close to his position ideologically.

On a naive left-right axis I suppose Whitlam would be the best comparison, but he was much more concerned about social issues than economic ones and he didn't have any of the class struggle ideology that Corbyn subscribes to.

As far as I'm aware, Corbyn's two big problems are the fact that almost none of his parliamentary colleagues much care for him (he'd never have won the leadership if it were determined by caucus the way it is in Australia, though that's hardly a bad thing) and the simple reality that the UK isn't due for a general election until 2020, which means that there's not even a guarantee he'll still be the leader of the opposition when it finally rolls around.

Also there's the simple fact that the UK's first-past-the-post electoral system massively advantages the party in government, since any protest votes will be split between Labour and the Liberal Democrats (and that's before you take the Scottish National Party into account), which means that it's entirely feasible for a candidate to win a seat with an extremely low primary vote, even if they're the least-preferred candidate of all the voters voting for the other candidates.

Democracy: like everything else, early adopters tend to have the worst systems.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Heh, the Dutch system seems so much more logical. Get 50% of the votes, you get 50% of the seats.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Alecat

Post by Alecat » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Xenesis wrote:Definitely. Tony signed the writs with the Governor General today and Malcolm has been sworn in as 29th Prime Minister because if they didn't the first action for the sitting of Parliament this week would have been an official no-confidence motion, so no joy for Tony. Of course, I don't think the $300,000 pa pension he's entitled to as a member of Parliament of 16-20 years is anything to balk at regardless.
Yeah I'd written the post before there was any peep from him this morning.

Looks like the writers just had to put the final touches on his speech and make sure there was another "we stopped the boats" in there too.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:47 pm

looking forward to the rise of the proletariat
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:40 pm

The weird bits are unconfirmed, but... what the hell is going on with Cameron? You Brits are weird.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:04 am

oink

Sniffit II

Post by Sniffit II » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:42 am

i don't know what a bishop ninja is but if it can still move diagonal without being seen it's got my vote - Pkdragon

FEAR ME, FEAR THE FIRE THAT BURNS IN MY BALLS, VERIDIAN FOREST! - Dragonite

Vote Sniffit for Space Dictator.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:18 am

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:20 am

Xenesis wrote:
Joey wrote:ps i'm not laughing at the uk people because i think that bad things will actually happen in the uk. i'm laughing at moderates wetting their pants because i believe that a leftist approach to politics actually works
"leftist" in the USA sense (a.k.a centrist), or leftist in the rest-of-the world sense?
rest-of-the-world, yo

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:22 am

Terragent wrote:Corbyn is pretty damn Left - in many ways he's a good representative of what the UK Labour party was like before Blair took it to the centre in the 90s. He supports nationalisation of infrastructure, nuclear disarmament, and a few other positions that "New Labour" wouldn't even imagine backing. In Australia you'd have to look even further back to find somebody like Corbyn; I don't think any of our actual Prime Ministers were really close to his position ideologically.

On a naive left-right axis I suppose Whitlam would be the best comparison, but he was much more concerned about social issues than economic ones and he didn't have any of the class struggle ideology that Corbyn subscribes to.

As far as I'm aware, Corbyn's two big problems are the fact that almost none of his parliamentary colleagues much care for him (he'd never have won the leadership if it were determined by caucus the way it is in Australia, though that's hardly a bad thing) and the simple reality that the UK isn't due for a general election until 2020, which means that there's not even a guarantee he'll still be the leader of the opposition when it finally rolls around.

Also there's the simple fact that the UK's first-past-the-post electoral system massively advantages the party in government, since any protest votes will be split between Labour and the Liberal Democrats (and that's before you take the Scottish National Party into account), which means that it's entirely feasible for a candidate to win a seat with an extremely low primary vote, even if they're the least-preferred candidate of all the voters voting for the other candidates.

Democracy: like everything else, early adopters tend to have the worst systems.
this is a pretty good analysis. fun fact: in the US, people think about ranked choice/alternative/instant runoff voting so little that they wouldn't know what the hell "first past the post" means. we don't really have a word for it. most people are barely aware there are other options

i care more about righting this than even campaign finance reform. it's just BAD SYSTEM CRAFTSMANSHIP

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:24 am

meanwhile is anyone paying attention to the house of representatives. the republican party is basically imploding

to those not in the know: http://www.vox.com/2015/10/8/9483343/ke ... eaker-fail

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:29 am

CMS_wp1W8AAz0Et.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:38 am

corbyn in the uk. abbott ousted in australia. the republicans in flames in the US. an election on the 19th in canada.

thrilling times.

McTool

Post by McTool » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:48 am

What the *hell* is going on
Make good choices

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Some lukewarm pinko commies are taking over from other lukewarm pinko commies.

So, nothing in particular.

In the meanwhile Putin is continuing to warm up the third world war.

Some of these days he will succeed in what the other commies tried hard to do but failed in - destroying everything.