GameFAQs and Undertale

Anything and Everything. It all goes here. Be aware that this is NOT a spam board.

Moderator: Hans Stockmann

Joey

GameFAQs and Undertale

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Undertale is about to beat Ocarina of Time. It is the best.
Last edited by Joey on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

Dragonite

Re: GameFAQs and Undertale

Post by Dragonite » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Should try the game once.. It's interesting it went so far considering it's a fairly new game.
OOT is a mighty enemy though, and it will probably get a spite bonus.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:39 pm

I think FF7 would've kept up with OoT. But FF7 fell hard to Melee. Then Melee fell to Undertale.

Either way, the Undyne parallel is perfect.

And yes, play the game. For god's sake.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:08 am

so fudge annoying

it has ruined, absolutely ruined the pc board

the best part is, no one bitching or bitching about the bitching are actually regulars there

it's like two simultaneous board invasions happening at the same time while the regulars just silently count down to the day the contest ends

as far as the game itself goes, it doesn't interest me at all. it's a shame it's winning due to post-release hype and meme-ability, as opposed to it's own merits. If the game still won 6 months from now, It'd be genuinely interesting, but right now it's just too new to know if it's the "best game ever". It's like those awkward cultural references you sometimes find in books, like a 90s book that mentions N'Sync. Product of it's time, and looking back you just shake your head. I feel like that's sorta going to be how this contest is.

I just wish it was possible for a game to win on it's own merits and not based on either a hype machine or nostalgia "classic" status. Like, something like Shadow of the Colossus comes to mind (even though I don't like the game). It's not old enough to be essentially grandfathered in, but it's old enough that no one cares about it enough to make it win, even though most people that play it consider it to be a great game.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:09 am

how is it possible to muster up that level of care for a fudge poll
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:12 am

I saw this on twitter (I read a lot of r/smashbros), and yeah, it's silly. I mean we cared when we were twelve but now?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 am

It's so hilarious. It's like getting nostalgic about people being mad on the internet.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:44 am

"as far as the game itself goes, it doesn't interest me at all. it's a shame it's winning due to post-release hype and meme-ability, as opposed to it's own merits. If the game still won 6 months from now, It'd be genuinely interesting, but right now it's just too new to know if it's the "best game ever". It's like those awkward cultural references you sometimes find in books, like a 90s book that mentions N'Sync. Product of it's time, and looking back you just shake your head. I feel like that's sorta going to be how this contest is. "

have you played the game

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:47 am

Gaming is mostly series-based though. People get protective as a result. I believe I also got a little tired of the praise The last of us kept getting. But then again, I play mostly nintendo, which is a good lala land on it's own.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:57 am

Gaming is mostly series-based though.
I wish that, as they rightly do with films, people lamented this a little bit more.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:07 am

I'm impressed how emotionally invested people are in this poll.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:18 am

Once Undertale took down Super Mario World, man.

I started seeing people talking about how mad people were on my Tumblr dash and my Twitter feed, and it's really funny.

By the way, I'm not going to sit here and argue that Undertale is better than Super Mario World or Pokémon RBY or SSBM, but I will say that I think it's at least in the same league as all of those. People who still haven't bothered should really check it out! Especially if you like Earthbound. Or if you think Earthbound is kind of cool, but its battle system is absolutely atrocious and makes the game almost unplayable, which is how I feel.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:19 am

I think we can all appreciate this, though? We used to sort of interact with GameFAQs and sort of laugh at it and we sort of even used to get mad!

But now it's kind of cool that a little indie game is getting tons of recognition from one of these things! That's just neat. It's a much preferable outcome to FF7 or OoT winning again, which, oh man, who cares. (Not to hate on OoT or FF7, but, like, we get it. People like them.)

Working man pk

Post by Working man pk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:33 am

I just care b/c it has somehow ruined gamefaqs more than usual and I still go there b/c occasionally there is a good topic

As for whether I've played the game, no, bc I don't want to waste my money on games I'm not interested in. Every time I tell undertale fans my interests they agree it's not really my type of game. Basically I want game play oriented games with deep character customization and strategic options and not so interested in the story.

Still. I was talking more about the Internet super short memory for video games more than anything

Working man pk

Post by Working man pk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:39 am

And to clarify, most regulars of gamefaqs don't care about the poll either. The problem is that this whole thing has brought all the trolls out of the woodwork on both sides.

So as bad as gamefaqs genuinely is, in this instance it looks a lot worse than it actually is.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:30 am

I've only just started playing Undertale (it's adorable so far, by the way), but you should really try Mother 3 too, Joey. I can't bother getting into Earthbound either because the battle system is, like, super bad, but Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) has a serviceable battle system. Plus, its story is great, the pixel art is astounding, and the music is beautiful.

It has a professional-grade English translation patch. I can get you hooked up with the proper deets to play it.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:31 am

Remember that this is a place where the Tetris L-block has won a character battle. Troll results are not new.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:23 am

It's the same result every year. Zelda or some J"RPG" that I have about as much interest in as I have in nailing my bollocks to a table.

Used to post on the PC board a lot but but got irritated with the fanboyism and elitism. And the trolls from the console boards.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 am

Terragent wrote:Remember that this is a place where the Tetris L-block has won a character battle. Troll results are not new.
Ehhhh it's not quiiiiiite troll results. It's got an element to that and some people will interpret it as that, but it's also coming from places that are legitimately absolutely hype about this game.

Draven, though.

Ugh. Draven winning the character battle.

How does anyone even look at League of Legends without falling into a coma?

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 am

Treedweller wrote:I've only just started playing Undertale (it's adorable so far, by the way), but you should really try Mother 3 too, Joey. I can't bother getting into Earthbound either because the battle system is, like, super bad, but Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) has a serviceable battle system. Plus, its story is great, the pixel art is astounding, and the music is beautiful.

It has a professional-grade English translation patch. I can get you hooked up with the proper deets to play it.
I'll do this at some point. But man, I could not get through Earthbound. It has so much obvious greatness in it, but oh man. It just ended up feeling like work, and that's bad.

daisy

Post by daisy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:53 am

Joey wrote:How does anyone even look at League of Legends without falling into a coma?
As with most games, look at the community and you'll have your answer.

Working man pk

Post by Working man pk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:53 am

To be fair Draven is one of the few champions in the game who is halfway fun to play because of his axe mini game. It isn't much but it makes the game a tad less mind numbing.

Some of my Internet friends are hard core into league, to the point of not having fun because they are too focused on being pro. We hardly play anything else these days. It's pretty sad :(

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:34 pm

I couldn't stand Earthbound. The gameplay was boring and the writing wasn't anything that I really appreciated.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:41 pm

I couldn't even get past, like, the third "area." It was just, oh man.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:49 pm

That's why we conveniently had a let's play, you guys
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Yeah, I need to watch a longplay of it on YouTube sometime.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:44 pm

i thought it was fun at the time, but i probably wouldn't enjoy it much now

these days i'm looking for a very specific type of game to play- i occasionally roam out of my comfort zone, but not much. now that i have an income again maybe i can afford to broaden my horizon a little (like how i bought European Parking Simulator 2) but still i know what i want and what i want is MIN MAXING and PARTY SETUP and BUILDS
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:18 pm

understood, understood

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 am

Well, Undertale is in the lead. Impressive. I voted OOT though, was feeling rebellious(by this point it's the underdog), and well, I did play it and enjoy it. I might try undertale one time, but it's not high on my gaming budget priority list. Visiting the smash board reminds me what kind of place gamefaqs is though.

Can we have WWN character battles again?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:26 am

problem with character battles is that they require some overlap on games we've actually played to be worth doing

we've got pretty diverse video game tastes and preferences. like, my favorite characters are from games i can tell you right now dragonite you have never played. your favorite characters are from games that i've probably not played, given that i haven't played most nintendo games in a generation. i doubt we'd be able to agree on anything, except maybe possibly fire emblem characters.

the result is, you get a joke character like pong winning, an AW character (lol), or maybe another character from nintendo. if lucky maybe it'll be one of the good nintendo characters. And even if you don't care who wins, the fun part is in the debate, there's no room for debate if half the people have no idea who half the characters are

with more people that wouldn't be so much of a problem but we don't have a ton of people here anymore.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:28 am

WAR IS ALL THAT MATTERS PK

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 am

We can solve this problem by basing the votes on rule 34

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:07 am

Nearly a decade on I'm still disappointed that the moderation crew refused to honour all the Gravity (Tetris) nominations in the first Villains poll.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:58 am

LISA The Painful/The Joyful are better than undertale anyways.

daisy

Post by daisy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:Nearly a decade on
GTFO.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Hmm true, it might've been 2004 they did the first one.

It was Q2 2005. So slightly over a decade.

daisy

Post by daisy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:28 am

It feels like last week.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:Nearly a decade on I'm still disappointed that the moderation crew refused to honour all the Gravity (Tetris) nominations in the first Villains poll.
That's brilliant.

By the way, Toby Fox was to games in 2015 what Kendrick Lamar was to music, what Ta-Nehisi Coates was to the written word, what George Miller was to film, what Steph Curry was to sport, what Noelle Stevenson was to comics. If you still haven't played it, get on that. Best description of its excellence I've heard so far:

"By and large, Undertale succeeds because of how it utilizes social signifiers in conflicts with game signifiers, and that's why people love it and that's why they call it subversive. That's why they call it challenging. It is taking two different languages that we know – the language of video games and the language of social engagements – and placing them in contest, against each other, and seeing which ones you are going to believe when."

- Dan Olson

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:42 pm

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:47 pm

more like