WWN FATE: Rules, Signups, and Setting Discussion!

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Narts

Re: WWN FATE: Rules, Signups, and Setting Discussion!

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:15 am

From what I've read of the FATE rules, I'm definitely of the opinion it's one of the best, if not *the* best RPG system I've come across and not just for forum play. Consistently aware of the fact it's meant to be a role-playing game and just focuses on that instead of pointless detail and statistical numbers wankery.

Some people might not be delighted of the way the fate points give the players the ability to "magically" alter the world around them and it indeed might not fit all types of settings but with AW it's just fine.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:26 pm

shame aw doesn't ever have knives, needs more shanking

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Have been thinking about this. I start uni fresh in a week. I might join sometime, but to do so now is probably unwise until I settled a bit into managing that.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:39 am

Knife combat would probably be a Stunt governed by Fight, such as a bonus against fleshy targets and penalty against armored ones, plus a knife is something easily kept on-person at all times barring an equipment loss Consequence.

Mid-game joins are GM territory, but I could see reinforcements or something along those lines.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:44 pm

I doubt it'll cause problems, with the casual nature this game/WWN has. It's bound to be slow paced anyway.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:39 am

Ugh I can't bring myself to actually do this. :(
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:59 am

come on dood just channel your inner politician! lie, cheat, steal, but with words instead of frog splashes!

so you wake up in that basement and have like a line or two for an intro and the lad will be all brooding like "I'm Ladman" and then you bust out and charm your captors while Ladman punches them in the neck from behind! and then probably Bittman and co. barge in and he's all like "OUTRAGEOUS" and then the adventure continues!

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:48 am

Ehhh, if he can't do it he can't do it.

I honestly understand. When I started this I had all the free time in the world, but the past week that's changed and while it shouldn't be that hard to post once a day, I've had some trouble sticking to that recently. To be perfectly honest, I do feel I made a bit of a mistake creating this so that everything has to go through me, but it would have been difficult to use the FATE rules otherwise.

If it helps, HPD, my "post once a day" original request is completely out of date by the fact that I've been only posting once ever few days myself >__>

Oh, and latecomers are perfectly fine... If this thing survives that long.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:52 am

I mean, I could step in to relieve you of GM duties, but that would strip the game of its most active player

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:12 am

I could step in to relieve you of GM duties, conditional on the fact you would have to take control of BITTMAN THE GREAT.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:42 am

I'm still yelling in a wine-cellar
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:54 am

I would make a poor GM on account that I am evil.

Still, I think everyone should have a shot at running a forum game of their inclination.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:17 am

i would much much much rather be a player

but i'd rather be GM then watch it just die.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:36 am

I have some ideas about where to take it

but I would have to write Vasil off the party because nobody likes GM mary sues

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 am

I'm strongly considering it

from what I've seen so far, Narts would probably make a better GM than me, lol.

I don't want to force that on you though.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 am

I'd be quite fine with it if you absolutely can't do it anymore. You don't have to force me. I tend to like GM'ing at least as much as playing.

And we could of course make it a rotating duty if this goes on long enough. Kind of like mafia hosting. Once someone gets tired of it they can just pass the torch to the next guy in line.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:15 am

To make it easy to figure out who does what, you could host in different "chapters" of the story. So Pk could call the end of this firefight a chapter and have Narts pick up where it leaves off and do however much he wants.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:20 pm

next time everyone gets sick of mafia I'mma run a BUNKERS N' BADASSES game!

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:32 am

Yeah, I'm thinking that's best, Hawke. I'll finish off the firefight and let Narts go from there

Posting tonight. And tomorrow, hopefully, lol.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:36 am

I'm just observing the card system(and also the fact that early game is rather simplistic), but isn't it slighty odd the current combat situation will be resolved in a huge combo of favorable ''rolls''? Of course, the GM can always troll and introduce some extra danger, but still, there's no tension a action will go badly, and the good rolls outweigh the natural skill by a fair degree.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:17 am

I believe that was covered briefly during setup, whether to use a RNG dice or card stock, with statistically similar outcomes but spread out in different ways. However, from a player standpoint, I much prefer getting to pick and choose the magnitude of my character's attempts to do stuff.

Certainly, they both have logistical issues. Picked rolls is more taxing on the GM since they need to moderate valid ones from not in addition to keeping tabs on who has what rolls remaining, and that is on top of all the other numbers. Digital dice on the other hand require something of an honor system or the hassle of having everyone register with and using a service for accountability.

In the end, I feel picked rolls add a small but strategic layer to the game. I prefer to reserve my higher rolls which has, up to now, been working out well and playing the middle cards more freely. Another approach is to burn through your stock quickly to get a refresh; finding valid checks would not be difficult if your character is proactive enough but this runs the risk of having only bad rolls in tough situations.

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:11 am

I prefer dice rolls.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:31 pm

It'll be a bit more natural in more complicated missions, where it more matters WHAT you do rather than exactly how much damage you're dealing. When you start getting more Fate point flow, more opportunity for compels. I already regret making the first combat so simple, because the card system does seem overly simplistic then. TBQH, I too prefer dice rolls but I can't figure out a good way to do them online without having everyone roll their own and use the honor system, or requiring some outside site.

Will post ASAP tomorrow. Brain fried right now.

I'm going to sent Narts info on my plans pretty soon, and I'm planning on turning this over to him as soon as we're done with this combat. If anyone has objections please tell me. I think this weekend made it pretty clear that I can't run something that requires me to be consistently online and posting every day. (It was much easier back when I was young and had aeons of free time and I still failed to finish almost everything I started @_@) I mean, unless the pace of an update every few days is ok with people, because I just don't see it becoming more consistent than that.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:17 pm

are there not-random tabletop systems? kinda sucks if you flunk an action even if you put points in it because of randomessosity!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:39 pm

There are hundreds of RPG systems out of there, but yeah there's definitely a few out there that don't use dice/randomness.

The prevailing consensus from the hobby is that people like the randomness that some aspect of dice includes, though.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:16 pm

FATE is a random system. It normally uses something called Fudge dice, but we just house ruled the cards in because they seemed more convenient for forum play.

I'd say we have not tested them enough to have grounds for valid opinions yet.

We are now experiencing the benefits of the players having saved up good rolls for a combat situation that came at a predictable moment and was basically advertised beforehand by a GM that was going pretty easy on us. (Maybe because it's just a tutorial battle. Maybe because pk is nice)

By all means we can go back to dice rolls if it turns out that's what people prefer, but let's roll with this for now. (There are also ways to make the card system more unpredictable)

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:03 am

I'm proposing a small tweak to the system:

Instead of player hands always being replenished with the full straight 1-10, you (or rather, in practice, I) will pull 10 random cards from a pool that I will build to match exactly the distribution of results in 3dF.

This would mean you could get "streaks" of bad/good luck like you would with real dice and you couldn't rely on a newly replenished hand always having those +2's and +3's in it.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:37 am

seems sensible
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am

Could there be some option for a "stable" replenish, namely, to 1-10 through resting outside combat?

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:24 am

Ok now I've actually read the combat rules. I'll explain a couple of things here, firstly regarding the concept of Initiative, and then Consequences.

Initiative

Pk didn't think we could have initiative in a forum game. I think different!

We will use Notice to determine the order in which characters move, but everyone will describe what they do before anyone's actions are resolved.

You can post to describe your actions in any order, but the results of the actions will be resolved in the order determined by Notice, after everyone has given their orders. ("WEGO" system)

Example: dragonite posts to shoot sven in the face, then sven posts he will jump to cover. Sven's character moves first because he has higher Notice, so he avoids being shot.

In the cases where two characters have the same Notice, a secondary or tertiary skill is used as tie-breaker. That's usually Athletics, then Physique.

Before every combat round I'll probably post a list that shows in which order every character, including enemies, will be moving so you can plan around that.

Damage and Consequences

Basically, in combat, whenever you take a hit, one of two things will happen. You will either die or you will absorb the damage.

There are two ways of absorbing damage - either you suffer "stress" (basically, lose a hit point) or you suffer a Consequence.

Stress is a bit more complex in normal FATE rules but we'll be treating it as just hit points. Once you've lost all your hit points (either mental or physical), and you receive damage of that type your only option is to take a Consequence.

A consequence is usually some type of serious injury or setback that affects your character after the battle. It's of a more lasting nature than stress. (Stress is supposed to go away, if not immediately after the fight, soon after) A consequence can go away, but it normally takes a long time and may require a skill check.

A consequnce can be thought of a negative Aspect to your character. It's almost always negative. It should be described in some way, like Aspects.

Your character can have up to three Consequences at a time. Each of them has a different level of severity.

One Mild, one Moderate and one Severe.

Once these three slots are full, if you receive another blow you will probably die - though if you have Fate points left I'll probably let you use one to avoid dying. No. No I won't. fudge you.

Finally, there is the Extreme consequence. This is a last ditch option you can use to stay alive once you've exhausted everything else. You can only do it once in the game. (Rulebook says "once between major milestones" but let's see if we will ever reach a major milestone first)

An extreme consequence is something that replaces one of your Aspects - the traits that define who you are! It's so serious it literally changes who you are. Think Anakin falling into the lava river bad. It's permanent and cannot be recovered.

And finally...

About dying - The Fate rulebook talks about "being taken out" or whatever which can mean anything from dying to getting captured or whatever yadda yadda - that's carebearland. Not on my watch. When you die, you die. fudge you.
Last edited by Narts on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:31 am

BTW if someone is still thinking of joining, now would be a good time to speak up.

It will probably still be a few days before I start Chapter 2.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:00 am

put me in coach i'd like to do something silly
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:13 am

Ok you need to create a character. PK explained it here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13781

If you have anything, ask.

Possible backgrounds for your character could be:

-a straggler that was left behind when Blue Moon retreated and has been in the hiding until now
-an allied spy on a secret mission in the area
-a commando sent in as a reinforcement to assist Bittman on his mission
-another rebel fighter from Vasil's guerrilla outfit

I mean, you can be pretty much anything you want, but if you pick one of these it will be easier for me to explain you joining up with the rest of the party. In any case, so that we can keep it plausible you should think about your character's background and how it explains why you are in the area, why would you want to join the other heroes, and what you can give them so they want to take you in.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:46 pm

k
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:25 am

Just a small survey of two questions for everyone to answer before we go on:

1. Let's say I propose a change like this to the cards / rolling system:
Instead of your cards being used as a roll result as-is, they would just tell how many times a roll is made, before the best one is picked to be the result.

Examples:

If you use a "+3" card, that would mean I would roll dice four times for you and pick the best result.

A "-1" would mean I roll twice and pick the worst result that comes up.

"0" is just dice being rolled normally once.

During a combat round you would only need to use one card and that determines how many times all your rolls are re-rolled during that turn.

The question: Would you prefer such a system over the current one?

2. The above leads us to the next question.

Suppose we are using both the WEGO turn system (where everyone gives orders first and then everything is resolved simultaneously) and we are using a rolling system like described above I believe we have a robust enough framework that I could propose using a more complex combat system taken from some other RPG than FATE. (possible alternatives that I have identified: Various editions of Twilight 2000. RECON. GURPS) We would probably still use Fate points and the zone-based movement from FATE because I like them.

The question: Do you think more complexity / detail would make the combat more interesting or do you prefer simple combat?

We'll probably play the first fight using the FATE system regardless of what people answer, but I'll ask this question again afterwards.

But I'm ready to change the rolling system now if the group agrees to it.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:26 am

do what you think is best
wisdom

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:58 am

I like being dealt a random set of cards more than the suggested dice variant. It feels like you have more control over your actions while retaining the element of randomness to a certain extent.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:13 pm

I prefer simplicity, but that is just me.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:08 am

I just realised these are kind of pointless questions.

I could use any system or non-system I please and just keep it under the hood.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:44 am

I hinted earlier that it would be possible to avoid death by using a Fate point as a kind of extra life.

This is wrong and I must retract my statement.

If you were allowed to use them like this it would just undermine their primary purpose - using them as hit points would be too powerful and no one would want to use them for anything else.