RE: Mafia

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

RE: Mafia

Post by Bonesy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:46 am

I know Joey's Vote Barn Mafia is still going, but i wanted to make this thread anyways before I forget.

For those of you regularly/semi-regularly in mafia: What seems to "work" the most in mafia games you've played in terms of fun/the game not turning into a fudge? What doesn't?

My personal vote is that abuse of the board software/PM shenanigans really needs to not happen anymore.

MysteriousLad

Re: RE: Mafia

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:19 am

Bonesy wrote:I know Joey's Vote Barn Mafia is still going, but i wanted to make this thread anyways before I forget.

For those of you regularly/semi-regularly in mafia: What seems to "work" the most in mafia games you've played in terms of fun/the game not turning into a fudge? What doesn't?

My personal vote is that abuse of the board software/PM shenanigans really needs to not happen anymore.
Godfather and framer seem to work well.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:19 am

i don't like posting screenshots

everything else is fine

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:12 am

i for one like games where i can film my inbox
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Pkdragon wrote:i for one like games where i can film my inbox
I do hope I haven't started a MysteriousLies legacy.

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Inspector works with Godfather and/or Framer.

Other special townie roles are silly. Lunatic adds some complexity, Vigilante too, but I don't think either really works.

I still like prettiest princess.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 pm

jester is fun but also terrible and needs to pretty much never be used

we need another mafia/werewolves thing
"Unakau has nicked off. And there was much rejoicing."

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:11 pm

Joey wrote:jester is fun but also terrible and needs to pretty much never be used

we need another mafia/werewolves thing
I do agree with this

werewolf mafia is excellent mafia, as long as the werewolf mafia don't leak
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

<_<
>_>
the dream

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:10 pm

I actually quite like the Vigilante role when the Vigilante effectively teams up with the Inspector, gives the town another way to fight back against the Mafia.
Your political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Vigilante is too easy imo.
The Godfather is a great role, the Framer may be a bit weak but it's also a good idea to fight the Inspector.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:04 pm

PM's make the experience more personal and involved, as long people don't involve their role PM's it's fine.

I liked the 2/3 majority vote, and this new voting system at least makes the days last longer(it could be downsized to 5 votes as HPD said). Boring day phases are the main danger when playing mafia here, since many people here like to play efficient.

We should try ultimate vanillia mafia with 2/3 votes once.And by that I mean no roles whatsoever except mafia townies. I'm interested how viable that is in practice.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am

I think as long as communication outside of the game doesn't happen (or if it does, it's posted immediately to the topic), the game works well. That way, everybody has the exact same information, and there aren't shenanigans. Shenanigans make the game less fun.
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
RadioShadow wrote:Including having SEX? :o
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:58 am

I like werewolf mafia, all it really needs is for any dual-role players to require a win as *both* werewolves and mafia (which makes leaking early-game really stupid and late-game almost a necessity). I also enjoyed the red vs blue mafia game, silly as it was.

I actually really enjoyed the mafia-account game, where we were given not only accounts but also some personality cues for our characters that we could build on. I realise it was clunky and discouraged people from participating actively due to login issues, but for me it was really fresh and enjoyable.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 pm

the double win condition was in there from the very beginning
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I'd be willing to try factions again, but it's kinda difficult to stop them from offing each other.

If you want, after Joey I'll host a carbon copy of mafia VI (that's factions+prettiest princess).
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:10 pm

It's funny, I read this one just yesterday. Sounds fun.

I'm still waiting to host a Mafia game myself :)
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:53 pm

St3rn wrote:It's funny, I read this one just yesterday. Sounds fun.

I'm still waiting to host a Mafia game myself :)
For more chaos in WWN mafia: Possible multiple games running at the same time.

Wait, wait, wait.

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:34 pm

We don't need that for chaos. There's enough with one mafia game, and then we run the risks of having unvoluntary leaks.

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:02 pm

I'll try and host a new Werewolf Mafia at some point. As long as everyone promises not to leak the effing list.

Might use the mafia accounts again as well, seeing as those are a way of getting rid of metagaming and possibly PM shenanigans as well.

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Metagaming, sure it will.
PM shenanigans are bound to happen at one point, though, but at least it will not be because people know who they're talking to.

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 pm

St3rn wrote:Metagaming, sure it will.
PM shenanigans are bound to happen at one point, though, but at least it will not be because people know who they're talking to.
I mean I could disable the accounts being able to send and receive PMs.

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Didn't think you'd go this far, but hey, why not. I'd like it.

st3rn fudge st3rn

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Seconded
thefalman wrote:Honestly, just when I thought we could all have a nice topic about mocking ridiculously, overly hardcore fundamentalists, it has to turn into a religious debate.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:
I know it's an alien concept to you RS, but there's no need to act so surprised.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:02 pm

If you restrict PM communication, we'll just do it by e-mail, irc, chat, whatever.

Don't be a nazi about mafia.

EDIT: Oh, if you mean about the accounts then sure.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Alt account mafia with personality types would be so freaking cool. Would make it like, a murder mystery party which are so lame and yet thus fun.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:14 am

You know... it was just a joke when I said that in the next game voting should be resolved by playing Advance Wars, but it got me thinking...

What if we played a game, using AWBW, but inspired by Mafia. It would be on one of those "Black Hole vs everyone" type maps, in fog of war. Black Hole is being controlled by the game's host, while executing the directions of the "town". The host posts a screenshot of the map from BH's perspective and then town fights / votes / discusses over what to do and eventually gives the host a list of orders to execute.

Then the "mafia" players get to play their turns using one allied nation each.

Each turn, Black Hole can vote to exile one of the players from the "town". This probably shouldn't destroy a mafia player's army, but obviously they'd lose influence over town decisions. And if the Black Hole army ends up controlled by mafia CO's then obviously they lose.

Could this work?

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:32 am

I'd love to try what I was doing at a different time, but things unrelated to my setup happened and now I'm sad.

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:43 am

custer's revenge mafia

Twelve Boats

Post by Twelve Boats » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Bonesy wrote:custer's revenge mafia
no
the dream

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 pm

i nominate bonesy for next host

Bonesy

Post by Bonesy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:31 pm

but i don't have any really good ideas atm outside of custer's revenge mafia in which the goal is to avoid getting impregnated by custer clones in drag

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:48 pm

So, after we've had time to catch our breath, is there then enough enthousiasm for a next mafia?

It seems there's a general agreement on the following:
- Werewolf Mafia (ie. mafia X setup, explained below)
- Use of special Mafia accounts (see mafia 26/27) *
- Flavour roles & RP personalities (probably following a general theme/story)
- Not too many power roles in play
- Either 2/3 majority system or a toned down version of Joey's voting system (for example, only list 3 or 5 people)

I'd like to see if more people agree with this, as a setup like this can only be succesful if many people join AND they're willing to invest time and effort into role-playing. I'm sure that if this works, it's going to be a great mafia.

* I'm not sure whether I can disable PM for them. Sure, I can restrict the mafia accounts, but then werewolves and mafia will be unable to communicate with each other without giving up their identity. It might be more fun if the mafia and werewolves know each other only by their aliases.

---

For the uninitiated, how Werewolf Mafia works:
In short, Werewolf Mafia is two games of mafia superimposed on each other. Every player receives two alignments unrelated to each other: one that is either Civilian or Mafia and one that is either Human or Werewolf. This way, four different role types can be distinguished: Human Civilian, Human Mafia, Werewolf Civilian and Werewolf Mafia. Both alignment types are rolled separately based on a fixed number of both werewolves and mafia. This way, there's no a priori knowledge of how many of each role there will actually be.

Victory conditions change accordingly to the role you've been assigned to. Normally, civilians win when all the mafia are dead and the same counts for the humans when the werewolves are dead. If you superimpose that, the Human Civilian roles win when both the mafia and the werewolves have been eliminated. Human Mafia wins when the werewolves are dead and the number of mafia is higher than or equal to the civilian count. Likewise for the Werewolf Civilians. Werewolf Mafia, finally, win when both werewolf alignment and mafia alignment would win, so if the werewolves and mafia would outnumber humans and civilians, respectively.

There would be four power roles in play: Inspector, Doctor, Seer and Angel. Inspector and Doctor have a Civilian alignment. Seer and Angel are the respective roles for the Human alignment. These roles will be randomized together with their respective alignments, which may result in mafia receiving a human power role or werewolves with civilian power roles. The only exception is made when a player would receive a power role from both alignments. In that case, the Mafia power role takes precedence over the Werewolf one (so a player can not be both inspector and seer, for example). The next person on the list will then assume the power role instead. Werewolf Mafia can obviously never receive a power role.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Just keep thinking of it being a double mafia game, both of which run simultaneously and interconnect because of the double victory condition.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm in.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Why the alt. accounts? It gets rid of the possibility to analyze people from older games and seems like quite a hassle. Pm's are fine as in themself they don't blow up te game. Last game didn't blow up because of pm's no it was people revealing their roles and quitting/dq as a reaction to pm's. The pm's did nothing wrong, how people chose to handel them was by revealing their role, like sven. Werewolf mafia seems cool except I would prefer it without the alts.

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

with wherewolf mafia you have two guilty layers people are trying to hide. A list gives more information then the 2/3 vote.

We need to consider what the best rate of information is for such a complicated game. And I'm all for a 5 people list. 17 people is.. not something I want to do again.

Kiltman2

Post by Kiltman2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:02 pm

The alts allow for fresh play, that we're not too influenced / confined by our previous behaviour.

I would argue that a simplified game of Mafia, without werewolves and the like would still be fantastic. Let's not overcomplicate too much too soon - we can get some mafia alts going, sort of standard game (possibly with a more elaborate voting system) and that will be enough of a difference. If it is then successful, we can look at Werewolf mafia?

But I mean I'm not planning on hosting any time soon, and will sign up to the next one regardless. I had a blast the game before last.

onewaystreet

Post by onewaystreet » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:44 pm

HPD wrote:I'm not sure whether I can disable PM for them. Sure, I can restrict the mafia accounts, but then werewolves and mafia will be unable to communicate with each other without giving up their identity. It might be more fun if the mafia and werewolves know each other only by their aliases.
Just use something like quicktopic.

You bastards.
thefalman wrote:

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 pm

onewaystreet wrote:
HPD wrote:I'm not sure whether I can disable PM for them. Sure, I can restrict the mafia accounts, but then werewolves and mafia will be unable to communicate with each other without giving up their identity. It might be more fun if the mafia and werewolves know each other only by their aliases.
Please don't pm's are great.

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:08 pm

onewaystreet wrote:
I'd need to figure out how to best use that. Probably something like use dummy email addresses for the mafia. I'll look into it further.