RE: Mafia

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Dragonite

Re: RE: Mafia

Post by Dragonite » Thu May 28, 2015 4:50 am

That's true.. but yeah, when the average is ''nobody posts'', it's hard to rise above that, haha. Although, to be honest, I didn't really get around launching any anti-town plots because was to busy being confused as hell. When ML hinted there was another mafia(me not knowing the other two new players are broken), I basically set up to kill that one since the inspector was dead and a unknown mafia was of no use anyway.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu May 28, 2015 5:28 am

My role was definitely broken.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 am

excuse me dragonite

i was incredibly useful in killing of the fake illuminati such as yourself

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sun May 31, 2015 12:12 am

Nobody wanna run next game?
Cause otherwise I might be up for hosting. I do have 2 setups handy.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:15 am

I think you should :D

I promise to be good this time.

well, goodish
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:48 am

Yeah, go ahead. I'm game. I'll try to be more constructive as well!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:57 am

if i ever get net at home i want to do dog mafia

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:14 am

Where'd the net go?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:39 am

i havent had net at home for like over a year now

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:46 pm

So, now that Cop mafia is over, who's hosting next?

I can host a little (almost) gimmick-free game. We've been lacking them for a while now.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:50 pm

I vote break.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:34 am

Sure, everyone's a bit burned out.

The few who wanna play can get to play a little game, can't they?
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:36 am

I'll pass, I've got exams :/

Wait, wait, wait.

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:02 am

Sounds like a break it will be then. So be it.

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:04 am

agreed
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 pm

So this is a break, but despite all of that i'm already thinking about my next hosting, but before I launch this concept I need to be sure you'll like it. From the looks of it, Cop Mafia turned out to be pretty unpopular (the mafia's overpoweredness may or may not have a thing to do with it), so I wanna really be sure before you launch this one.

My second Mafia concept is Insider Mafia.
The concept is based on the sub-faction known as the Insiders. Basically, they are the town's counterpart to the Mafia. If the Insiders are half the town, the town wins. And each night, the Insiders choose someone to recruit; if they try to recruit scum, the recruiter dies (plus extra spice depending on the Mafia target: one blows up the entire Insider faction with himself, another kills the Backup Insider, and another doesn't kill the recruiter, instead infiltrating the Insiders). The Insiders are a way to confirm townies as they work as a Town-aligned freemason cult. There is also (currently) one Backup Insider that becomes an Insider if there is no Insider left.
The Mafia also have a counter-mechanic to the Insiders in that they get INTEL points for spotting or killing Insiders, since there is no other town role, all the Mafia's roles are centered around countering the Insiders. Their night action basically does nothing, but allows them to target Insiders and get INTEL points. They also get specific effects when they perform the kill (one again blows up the entire Insider faction with himself, the second gets an extra Intel point if he shoots an insider, and the third makes him learn the names of all Insiders), but they cannot both kill and do the night action. When the Mafia has 5 (number might be adjusted to half the number of starting players rounded up) INTEL points, they win.
Please note that Satel would have a specific role that knows everything (he's far too close for comfort sometimes :/) and he would choose the targets of any inactive. Also, he'd be in charge of making the Insider and mafia QTs and manipulate every random aspect of the game in whichever way he feels like.

The other concept I have in case you don't like the above is Solo Mafia (also referred to as Bastard Mafia).
Everyone tries to achieve a specific win condition. There is a Mafia but they don't know each other and only one can nightkill; the others have unrelated (or related) roles.
Winners and losers (there's no such thing as death, bastardry means keeping you alive knowing you're a loser) can talk freely in this one because it's more fun this way.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:02 pm

I kind of want a normal one next, with all roles announced.
But not in a month or so.

Wait, wait, wait.

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:11 am

Just so everyone knows, I'll not be hosting the next game, and I'll wait for either the second coming of POKéMAF or that of the three-factions Mafia.

It'd be a shame if I were to miss out on a vanilla game. I kinda miss those actually.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:36 am

Guys, I will say this one more time: if everyone's special. no one is.

These 'whatever' mafia games are fun sometimes, but if you want a truly fun game then you need to have few special roles. Half the fun is figuring out *who* is special. In fact it's the whole point of the game, figuring out who has the different role.

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:18 am

Yeah, I figured out I need to trim down some of the roles in the next game. Having Goons and Townies is half the fun.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:10 am

Yeah, I'd like to state my preference for normal games here. It's been 75% gimmick while it should be the other way around. It's kind of like always playing special smash :P

I wouldn't mind playing mafia this month though. It mostly depends on everybody's vacation plans. Some people might be unavailable, or the horror, Idevice bound(cough), while others might have more free time to burn then usual.

On the other hand, we could try to enforce this break now and then let loose with a Joeymaf caliber game again, and making sure we fetch those who don't always enter.

Satel

Post by Satel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:01 am

It's been almost a year since an actual normal game, or at least it feels like it.

EDIT: BTW, my schedule remains untouched. I'm still under contract until July 21st, then absolute free time.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Airnike wrote:The other concept I have in case you don't like the above is Solo Mafia (also referred to as Bastard Mafia).
Everyone tries to achieve a specific win condition. There is a Mafia but they don't know each other and only one can nightkill; the others have unrelated (or related) roles.
Winners and losers (there's no such thing as death, bastardry means keeping you alive knowing you're a loser) can talk freely in this one because it's more fun this way.
This is basically Jester Mafia, barring a detail or two.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Dragon Fogel wrote:
Airnike wrote:The other concept I have in case you don't like the above is Solo Mafia (also referred to as Bastard Mafia).
This is basically Jester Mafia, barring a detail or two.
Barring the jesters, and authorizing deadtalk (I mean, I don't hold deadthreads). It's even modeled after your game, man :)
Linkman wrote:Guys, I will say this one more time: if everyone's special. no one is.
These 'whatever' mafia games are fun sometimes, but if you want a truly fun game then you need to have few special roles. Half the fun is figuring out *who* is special. In fact it's the whole point of the game, figuring out who has the different role.
I guess I think differently. It's even my goal to have everyone be able to do something special. Just so that there nobody who's frustrated by lacking abilities. I for one hate being a vanilla townie. The Lad probably does so, or maybe it's just that he thrives in overpowered roles so much. I'm thinking too much.

I guess I can scrap my prototype for an FF-themed Mafia. Heh.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Nah, I love being VT as it stops me going full jerk.
Or I just make up a role completely.

Wait, wait, wait.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:05 am

I think it's me, but Pure Mafia has been over for quite a while.
Who here is "not burned out" like myself? Just so I know if I can organize a tiny game the time the burned-out recover.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:13 am

I would be okay if there was a game that was silly in premise but played seriously. Like the game was about clown mafia, but there weren't and gamebreaking Pk shenanigans. Because Pk ruins everything I hold dear.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:18 am

its not my fault ml decided to go after the one person i cannot lynch

im not actually as burnt out on mafia as i could be, but i've had little time to devote to things the past week or so. which is basically the same result

i wish we did things other than play mafia though. like, am i the only one who wishes we had other things to do on this forum? mafia is fun and all, but so is other stuff.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:00 am

What do you have in mind? I totally could go for anything except collective writing (because that one wwn grand battle thing was pretty bad for me).

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 pm

I could host the resistance again but I really feel it lost too much from being on a forum instead of real life.

Other options involve just hosting mafia anyway, another RP of some sort, or maybe some weird game that looks kind of familiar.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:12 pm

Warlight?

>_>
<_<

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:12 pm

Well, I have a plan for something Mafia-like that wouldn't quite be Mafia. Maybe a three-factional RPG or something.
Still something with day and night phases, day moves are public and follow no fixed order, night actions are premeditated in QTs and transmitted by PMs so those would be done in a specific order... and i'll try to make it not as broken as POKéMAF. What would you say to this?
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:16 am

no

too complicated

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:53 am

Linkman wrote:What do you have in mind? I totally could go for anything except collective writing (because that one wwn grand battle thing was pretty bad for me).
Yeah, the Grand Battle didn't work so well for me either. I'd be willing to try it again, personally, now that I have a lot more time on my hands, but I can understand your apprehension to that.

I think a play by post FATE game could be pretty interesting though. It's a tabletop game like D&D, except super-easy and free (and I could probably sum up it's rules in a single post), and is so minimalistic that it can be applied to any genre, not just fantasy. My previous attempts to recruit for Pathfinder didn't work too well, but FATE is just so much easier to deal with in every way. I dunno. It's a thought.

AWBW could be fun but I'm actually really bad at AW, lol. I'd be down for a game of Warlight though, if that's still around. I was thinking more, games that we can play on the forums just to get some activity going besides Mafia.

Mafia hybrid games like the one Airnike proposes, probably out (I mean, I'll sign up for it, but wasn't really what I was talking about). The Resistance is different enough that I'd be interested in seeing it played out again. I don't really know other forum games but I guess I could always do some research, lol.

Then there's always eat poop you cat :?

I mean, I was just wondering if the mafia exhaustion might be because we never do anything else except play mafia anymore (And occasionally have awesome chats on the IRC). I love this site, I love that it's still around all these years later, I just wish we could do more as a community. I just wanted to know if anyone else feels the same way, or if we're happy and content to keep playing endless mafia games.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:14 am

I'm with you all the way PK.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:34 am

Yeah, sounds good. We haven't had a proper RP going in ages.

Also, yeah, WL is good, but I'd probably beat the living crap out of everyone in a fair game (no offense) since I'm still sort of active there. Though I'm not the top player anymore like I was two years or so ago when I actually played competitive 1v1.

I have a very strong 4v4 team now though. That one's still undefeated after three full tournaments. Pretty crazy crumpets.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:09 am

Wait, you actually stuck around? I should recover my account/ make a new one. It's basically risk at it's core, so.. I don't really mind getting my ass kicked as long if it's interesting :p

I propose a free for all(coughlynchhpdcough)

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:37 pm

I would push for pk's idea, it could be somewhat cool. I'm quite fond of RPing, but the two main RPs I was in both shut down, so it could help me pick my pace back up.
As for Warlight, I don't really know. If it's Risk, then I would get my ass kicked. Hard.

push Pk
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:57 am

Linkman wrote:I'm with you all the way PK.
To elaborate a bit more, I think where PK is going here is that our activity is dwindling despite the fact that there's 20+ of us that still check the site daily.

I occasionally try to make new discussions or whatever, but it's difficult. Specially so since we now have like one topic for everything (music, games, happy, sad), it seems like the community will slowly die off.

I know I check daily, hit 'New Posts', see nothing too interesting, and move on. I'd like that not to happen I guess.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:25 am

I would join the nostaliga however I've only been here for a year so I don't know what this place was like at its peek (I feel like i've spelled that final word wrong).
Perhaps we should just simply have more discussios in the HiT forum and stuff. Speaking about life idk, it's usually the personal discussions that draw people

Wait, wait, wait.