RE: Mafia

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: RE: Mafia

Postby HPD » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:53 am

Actually I am pretty pleased it finished soon enough

however I did expect a mafia lynch on the last day
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:54 pm

I thought I'd post this: http://adv-random-gen.sourceforge.net/r ... ?gen=mafia
It's a rather cool tool for organizing mafia games.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:40 pm

looks nice. A bit more clunky then needed though.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 am

What Draggy said. Really, using random.org and Notepad isn't too terrible by itself.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:10 am

Dragonite wrote:looks nice. A bit more clunky then needed though.
hawkesnightmare wrote:What Draggy said. Really, using random.org and Notepad isn't too terrible by itself.
I figured I'd get a link there since I far prefer that to using more than one tab.
*SUDDEN CHANGE OF TOPIC*
Also, if nobody has concepts ready, I have enough to host the three next games.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:55 am

Wow. You must have been doing work. I have enough for about half a game, and some of that is taken from a clue other mafia games.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Satel

Postby Satel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:38 am

On the other hand, I have slimmed down my crazy roles for another attempt one day or another.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:46 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:Wow. You must have been doing work. I have enough for about half a game, and some of that is taken from a clue other mafia games.

I could share my ideas to not host them myself, since hosting three games while not knowing yet how to host games is a bit tedious.
One is also possibly very unbalanced.

That aside, I think Double Mafia will be good. And yes, I worked it. I got the time.
I don't have the Role PMs or flavor text, but the rules are ready.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 am

Airnike wrote:
hawkesnightmare wrote:Wow. You must have been doing work. I have enough for about half a game, and some of that is taken from a clue other mafia games.

I could share my ideas to not host them myself, since hosting three games while not knowing yet how to host games is a bit tedious.
One is also possibly very unbalanced.

That aside, I think Double Mafia will be good. And yes, I worked it. I got the time.
I don't have the Role PMs or flavor text, but the rules are ready.

Host three simultaneous games of mafia with intertwining overarching roles and abilities!

You'd be the inspector in a game revealing yourself as mafia in another and die THRICE.

how good is THAT?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:10 am

HPD wrote:Host three simultaneous games of mafia with intertwining overarching roles and abilities!

You'd be the inspector in a game revealing yourself as mafia in another and die THRICE.

how good is THAT?

Not as good as HPD getting lynched Day 1 in three games simultaneously, I assure you :twisted:
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:13 am

So, after my brother's game, I wanna see first who has games ready.

So far I have two concepts. I really wanna make the Town/Mafia/Gang game again, to redeem my first legit bad hosting, and I also have a POKéMAFIA in the works, for which I need to know how many are actually interested.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 am

I've also got a concept for a game, and I can make it as many players as will sign up.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:48 am

You know I'll subscribe to any Mafia game.
As of now, I'm still writing Double Mafia. Writing lore AND rules in detail is long.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:58 am

By the way, I notice people usually create arguments based on what a person typically acts like, their quirks and flaws etc. We should try to compile a few of those for fun. I personally think I could play a bit better. It seems to vary from game to game though, But during those last few games I've had trouble to do anything of note.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Dragonite wrote:By the way, I notice people usually create arguments based on what a person typically acts like, their quirks and flaws etc. We should try to compile a few of those for fun. I personally think I could play a bit better. It seems to vary from game to game though, But during those last few games I've had trouble to do anything of note.

We really shouldn't, do it personally for yourself (and share the results with me :P ). Making peoples play public means they are aware of it and can manipulate it. Take airnike, I told him that next time as scum he should focus on not doing some things. (During Christmas Mafia). He did (Last game) and nobody caught him, though his facade was starting to fail late-game. It however can be a powerful tool for yourself to form reads, however it should e used when your certain it's correct as if we start using it people are going to manipulate their play to form fake reads in other people.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:38 pm

MysteriousLad wrote:
Dragonite wrote:By the way, I notice people usually create arguments based on what a person typically acts like, their quirks and flaws etc. We should try to compile a few of those for fun. I personally think I could play a bit better. It seems to vary from game to game though, But during those last few games I've had trouble to do anything of note.

We really shouldn't, do it personally for yourself (and share the results with me :P ). Making peoples play public means they are aware of it and can manipulate it. Take airnike, I told him that next time as scum he should focus on not doing some things. (During Christmas Mafia). He did (Last game) and nobody caught him, though his facade was starting to fail late-game.

Sorry to interrupt your self-apologia, lad. But really, I didn't listen. I just happened to have a more cool-headed and depressive mood when I played, which leads to less volatileness overall. Your point still stands, but the example had to be me.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Ok, the example still stands. You playing differently dropped suspicion :P

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

I usually play a lot better when I'm happy. Lately I aren't.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 pm

I can make a sheet for what I think of myself so far. There's a need for two, however. Townplay and scumplay are entirely different.

General Airnike:
Strengths: Generally active
Weaknesses: Dependent on taking guesses, incapable of playing the same as both scum and town, posts a lot of nonsense, ultra-aggressive
Town Airnike:
Strengths: None
Weaknesses: Bad at reading people, prone to resorting to both variants of LAL (Lynch All Lurkers / Lynch All Liars)
Scum Airnike:
Strengths: ---
Weaknesses: Maintaining pokerface requires as much effort as it takes a politician to look sympathetic during a televised debate, so under extended pressure collapsing probability drastically increases
Last edited by Airnike on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 pm

aha, i'm not trying to unmask you IRL as it would take a lot out of the actual game, and i consider it cheating in a way.

also your internet pokerface is damn good if you actually try to keep it.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:41 am

I have a pokerface of just acting odd. Sadly, it means that I'm often a targeted townie instead of a hidden mafia.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:54 am

Aside from a possible break, I'm very much in need of a simpler mafia game next. Gimmicks are fun, but not as the norm.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Dragonite, I think you'll enjoy mine. There is an injury system, but aside from that, most of it is stuff you'd find in a vanilla game.

Satel

Postby Satel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Well you're next in line, so we're waiting for you.

st3rn fudge st3rn

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:10 am

I'm doing some last minute tweaks to some roles. The signup topic will be up either today or early tomorrow.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:01 am

so what's the line for mafia games looking like

i had an idea for a short, amusing, low effort mafia game but i don't want to cut ahead of anyone
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:40 am

well im in line behind hawkes

after i don't know

st3rn fudge st3rn

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:44 am

I'm pretty sure it's just Satel who's signed up behind me. We talked about it on IRC <7 days ago, but I can't remember much.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:17 pm

It's like we're gonna start a call order or something.

Are we gonna do hawkes > Satel > pk > myself (this one is by default)?

Wait, am I planning that far ahead? Yes.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:47 am

what about tf2 mafia

i thought that was going to be a thing

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 am

HPD wrote:what about tf2 mafia

put it anyplace in the diagram before whatever I have in store, possibly pk's

mafia planning is so far ahead of the playing, it almost deserves a topic
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:47 am

HPD wrote:what about tf2 mafia

I don't know who is going to head that one. I believe it was your idea, and Pk and I got interested. It all depends on if everyone is burned out by the time we get through the existing host roster.

Satel

Postby Satel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:21 am

Okay, now that Hawkes's game is over, I need to know how many people would play a Pokémon themed mafia.

If it doesn't interest enough people, I'll rehash the three-factions mafia.

st3rn fudge st3rn

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:37 am

Satel wrote:Okay, now that Hawkes's game is over, I need to know how many people would play a Pokémon themed mafia.

If it doesn't interest enough people, I'll rehash the three-factions mafia.

Give me a week for signups and I'll see, tell us about mechanics so we can get an idea what we're joining. Bastard game? Just flavour? Special Mechanics? Etc.

Wait, wait, wait.

Satel

Postby Satel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:44 am

Well I wanted to tell more in the eventual signup topic, but here's what I got so far:

I have ten roles ready, three of which are mafia. Instead of voting, you declare one of your four attacks. If attack-votes on someone is enough to KO someone, it faints (read dies), the attack-votes on other people are cancelled (unless i change my mind) and night starts. Most POKéMON have night actions, and the mafia has extra attacks at night instead of a nightkill.

EDIT: I am available on IRC if someone has more questions.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:49 am

I don't care, I join whatever game there is.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 am

More details:
"Night 0" is going to be for EV training and buying your item. It only happens at Night 0.

I'm working on the items.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:24 am

The game is not officially over and done though, although by this point it's blown in the mafia's favour.

I will be joining, but... can you please at least reveal the roles for this one? I'm getting bored spending the first two days or so to just figure out what the town is supposed to be doing.

Satel

Postby Satel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 am

The roles are tied to the attacks. I probably won't be able to do that without the game becoming unplayable.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:29 am

I must admit... gimmicks are fun, but urgh. I personally want a game that shakes up the recent trend of core rules.

Tired of the mystery role/no PMing combo, and I would prefer something more classic.

Return to “You are at a dead end of a dirt road. The road goes to the east.”