RE: Mafia

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: RE: Mafia

Postby Linkman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am

satel you want to do it, bro

It's okay I don't mind
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:39 am

It's been on the list for some time long. Let's do it. Hyper Beam FTW

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:13 pm

MAKE ME A WEAVILE
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:38 am

I obviously have a lot of questions about this setup, but I will wait for the official lowdown before bombarding Satel with grievances.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Satel

Postby Satel » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:49 am

Sorry for the downtime.

I am ready to delay pokemaf for another game, as in my position (read, house being rebuilt and i dont have my own room right now) i cannot guarantee hosting of the best quality.

If Linky wants to host, let him do so.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Treedweller

Postby Treedweller » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:46 pm

I don't mean to be a downer, but we could do with at least a few weeks of mafia downtime, no? If you darlings are still energized enough to play another, don't let me stop you. However, I won't play for a month, at least.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:48 pm

I can run a non-serious mafia game, one with plenty of non-seriousness.

Wait, wait, wait.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:27 pm

I'd go for that, but as you saw in the previous game, I am afflicted with even more of Satel's problems since I don't have a computer of my own to play with. I'll go for whatever game happens.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm waiting on a responce from linkman, he wanted to go first.

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:50 pm

I might want a little break too. We've been running games constantly. It can be more fun to wait a while and go into a game more fresh, especially if Linky is hosting a larger one. But I'll decide when I see a topic.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:43 am

I'm down for whatever. The board as a whole seems to be doing okay and not relying on mafia to keep everyone interested like it was a few weeks ago.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:50 am

Just a last question before we start this game: since activity seems to be higher since when I originally planned pokemaf, will I need to prepare more roles than what I currently have (10)?

This isn't something I can do on the fly, so I figured I'd just ask.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:34 pm

So with Satel's game blown (shame, great concept) can I run MysteriousLad mafia?
A game fully based of MysteriousLies?
And the Illuminati?

My Birthday is 1st of May. The same day the Illuminati was founded!
We can celebrate both!

It won't be a complex game where I troll you, but the roles remain hidden.

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:55 pm

I think Satel's setup can be viable. It just needs some tweaking.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:01 pm

i was about to say "wow we might actually have a time period without a mafia game" but then you had to post that, ML!

as i said in the IRC, i do think satel's game is redeemable. i think most of hpd's points he made in the other topic are pretty good.

the main thing is yeah don't make people quite so squishy, and make sure people can't switch targets until someone dies. the locking votes in is a good idea, as is day phases lasting a certain length of time regardless of whether people die. either one of those would work to fix THAT exploit.

Other than that, the main thing to remember is that ultimately we are playing mafia not pokemon, so while the stat-rpg stuff is interesting, don't get bogged down in it. It's very, very hard to balance a game as complex as your Pokemaf, Satel, and while I do really do respect the effort you've put into the game , we won't think any less of you if you simplify it some.

...tl;dr, what hpd said
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Depending on the most popular choice I'm willing to make my game open (reveal all roles included) besides one, which requires secrecy.
I'll start the game on the 1st of May, as then it's Illuminati anniversary as well as my Bday.
That gives players over a week to recover from whatever :)
Whose interested and who wants the roles revealed/hidden?

Wait, wait, wait.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:26 pm

I'm interested in this game, but I think Draggy called dibs and I'd like to run one game soon. I have three setups ready.

The order doesn't matter though, I'll play ANY Mafia game.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:38 pm

We're basically junkies at this point.

However, I think it's probably best to do Pokemaf mk.2 first. Tweaking it might not take that long, and we might have a easier time adapting if we play it again soonish. Also, Satel allowed several people to host before he finally was ready, so I think he has the right to decide on this.

My mafia idea is mostly normal-with-tweaks.I have no idea if everything would work, but experiments are fun, and the gimmick rate is high here anyway. I do have to admit that I don't know how hosting exactly works, I'll probably ask somebody for pointers.
Last edited by Dragonite on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:16 pm

I agree with Dragonite. Give Satel a chance first to try and make this work.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Yesterday night he was saying that he'd let people go a little until trying again - maybe.

Still; if you wanna wait for him to confirm this, then please do. It's safe to assume that he'll talk before May 1st. :P
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm gonna get back in the queue because working on this game might take more time than expected.

If people want to run one or two more games, go ahead.

EDIT: Items and EVs have received fairly negative feedback and I may just scrap items altogether, and halve EVs if I don't just scrap them as well. I should also have really told what the items do. I notably fudge up with Power Herb that could also negate the -2 SpA from Overheat / Draco Meteor / etc., much like White Herb, on top of the regular Power Herb's effects.

EDIT2: If people want the mafia topic, I can post. If not, I'll delete it.

st3rn fudge st3rn

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:43 am

Dragonite?
Are you fine with me going to signups?

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:03 am

just post the mafia QT for giggles

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:30 am

So much plans for naught, etc.

OK

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:29 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Dragonite?
Are you fine with me going to signups?

Eh, whatever, go ahead. I just happen to have important matters in the upcoming weeks, so yeah, hosting now would be a bad time.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:26 am

Satel wrote:So much plans for naught, etc.

OK

just think of this as a playtest

if viewed in that way, it was a huge success!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 pm

In that light, it was. You got to see exactly WHAT could go wrong, bro. Because even Fogel or yourself couldn't see just from an eyeful of the theories.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Yeah, I guess it's a successful experiment.

Long live test phases.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:20 am

I'm noticing from ML's signups that burnout looms closer though. We'll need to be careful about that.

Satel

Postby Satel » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:26 am

I wasn't intending to play for real though, just for lolz and being an all-around idiot.

st3rn fudge st3rn

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:17 am

Yeah, unless I play like a fool this game, the un-burnoutable Hawke will be burnt out.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Wed May 27, 2015 5:47 am

Ok, so, what's next? Someone who wants to host? Timeout?

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed May 27, 2015 6:17 am

I would enjoy a good game of mafia I think. Last game nobody really put much effort in it, which by itself might have had a effect like a timeout would. But that's just me.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed May 27, 2015 7:08 am

I was trying to be silly with the intention of giving my brain a break so that any future games wouldn't have a ton of lethargic players.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed May 27, 2015 8:15 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:I was trying to be silly with the intention of giving my brain a break so that any future games wouldn't have a ton of lethargic players.

You do have a bad habit of acting so weird you're lynch fodder though.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 am

I don't know why. I think I act pretty normal (except for the last few games)

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed May 27, 2015 10:17 am

Dragonite wrote:I would enjoy a good game of mafia I think. Last game nobody really put much effort in it, which by itself might have had a effect like a timeout would. But that's just me.

hey i put effort into it

and honestly, i tried. back when i got us to lynch airnike, it was so that someone would point out "uhhh this is a stupid lynch" and maybe get some discussion, argumentation, etc going. instead, airnike was killed easily with ease and it wasn't until afterwards that there was a bit of "well that was stupid"

it wasn't until after i verified the game had no hope that i decided to go full pk

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 am

Pkdragon wrote:it wasn't until after i verified the game had no hope that i decided to go full pk

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed May 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Pkdragon wrote:
Dragonite wrote:I would enjoy a good game of mafia I think. Last game nobody really put much effort in it, which by itself might have had a effect like a timeout would. But that's just me.

hey i put effort into it

and honestly, i tried. back when i got us to lynch airnike, it was so that someone would point out "uhhh this is a stupid lynch" and maybe get some discussion, argumentation, etc going. instead, airnike was killed easily with ease and it wasn't until afterwards that there was a bit of "well that was stupid"

it wasn't until after i verified the game had no hope that i decided to go full pk

I was mafia though. It's a bad thing to rise above the average level of competence and effort. Although I did well to fear HPD this time around... and then I didn't get to kill him twice.

Another thing.. did you all see through my priest ''bluff''(as you all saw I conspired with GoD), or did you just kill me for the fun of it?

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Thu May 28, 2015 4:36 am

It's not really a bad thing to rise above average. It's a bit more risky, but all the really great mafia games (in terms of general play, not in terms of meta hijinks) have been when the mafia are active and strongly influencing the games. Bigger risk bigger reward.

As for your bluff, yeah no, i didn't take the time to even consider that you might be lying before lynching you. of course by that point it didn't matter :D

Return to “You are at a dead end of a dirt road. The road goes to the east.”