Advance Wars Upick: The Underdogs (Mafia) Win!!!

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Airnike

Re: Advance Wars Upick: Day 4!!!

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:55 am

You know, it was more or less an advantage for some of the town. They were in pairs of freemasons, which is perhaps a bit better than going all alone.
There's of course the fact that three townies were freemasoned with Mafia though, which was misleading in all sorts of ways.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:56 am

Has anyone claimed dibs on hosting the next game? If not, I have a setup I'd like to try out.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 am

I did. Sorry man, you'll have to wait it out.
Double Mafia does have a chance to flop however.
Last edited by Airnike on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 am

MVP: Deoxy
I didn't absolutely hate you: Kireato
the rest: can all go to hell

In honesty and fairness, well played mobsters.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:57 am

Everyone has a game or two ready or what? xD
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:58 am

Linkman wrote:MVP: Deoxy
I didn't absolutely hate you: Kireato
the rest: can all go to hell

In honesty and fairness, well played mobsters.

lolwat, Deoxy MVP?

Oh well, you don't wanna have me in hell, cause Satan will get angry against you for the taste of missiles he would get. xD
Oh wait, I AM SATAN HIMSELF YAAARRRRRH -- oh wait, that's pk's gimmick.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:59 am

Yeah, it was unfortunate that Kir revealed, because he legit didn't know that there would be spies in the topic.

Still, had he not actually roleclaimed in the topic, we would have been in a bind because it would have made Ainiku really, really obvious as a mafia if we roleblocked him every turn. Same with Q7, sadly. We figured he was investigator and tried to kill him night 1, but the fog protected him. We thought that he was being protected or worse, we were being roleblocked. Once we knew how his fog power worked, he was easy pickings. Those two things were huge.

Still, there were a lot of really cool powers that were overall underutilized. Only Deoxy truly got shafted, with her RNG powers, but to be fair it fit her playstyle rather well =P That was one of the reasons I focused so much on charging up Kir's powers, if all the stars were concentrated on one guy, and we had him roleblocked, we'd have less to worry about.

Honestly, the biggest problem with the town was everyone complaining about their powers. Morale took a hit, which was our job! Our job was being filled by the town itself, so I was able to act as one of the only cheerful people, trying to help people realize the true potential of their powers etc. Let me tell you, nothing is as sweet as being able to act in a way contrary to your goals, and still watch your goals be fulfilled by the town itself. =3

And Linkman, HPD, that's the second time I've used your squabbles for my victory. You two seriously need to kiss and make up, lol.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:00 am

Nice manipulation by Kir by the way, making it seem his night kill protection was absolute when he posted it in the main topic.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:01 am

for all we "squabble" I never onced attempted to lynch HPD

I am certain that HPD didn't think I was mafia either.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:01 am

Dragonite wrote:Nice manipulation by Kir by the way, making it seem his night kill protection was absolute when he posted it in the main topic.

He only fooled the townies. Really. I was already on to him from the very beginning, and immediately spilled the beans to my scumbuddies.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:02 am

Seriously, I was only playing depressed, because I knew my SCOP was good.

A shame I couldn't set things up with HPD because that was my plan, but YOU would've been aware.

I SHOULD ALSO STOP UNDERESTIMATING PEOPLE

EDIT: And lying in the topic too... maybe

EDIT2: I OFFICIALLY HATE YOU GUYS THIS IS MY FIRST LOSS EVER
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:05 am

My list:

Epicest mastermind ever: Pk
Pals4Life: Hawke
Best townie: Linkman. He managed to annoy me for legit reasons.
Just an annoyance: Twelve Boats. Managed to annoy me cause she was just being a b*tch.
Background tiles: HPD, Dragonite, Kiltman (lol), Satel (he didn't get a chance to be more because of the aforementioned annoyance)
Tool: Kir (unwittingly)
Easy Kill: Qbie
Last edited by Airnike on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:07 am

Looking forward to being mafia with pk and/or HPD one day.

st3rn fudge st3rn

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:08 am

Pk/HPD/Dragonite mafia team is a guaranteed win.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:09 am

I love how much I wanna be leader of anything and end up just being lead around and compromising my position because I'm a loudmouth.

Also, I'mma make that topic for next game.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:13 am

Yeah Linkman really was MVP for the town, it's a shame he was so grumbly and thus fairly easy to discredit, but man we came closer to losing our cover dealing with you than anything else.

For the record, I probably would have sided with you, Linky, had I been a legit town. Granted, if I was legit town I would be oh so suspicious of kireato and probably would have gotten myself killed trying to get him lynched =P

and i don't suppose we can wait a bit before the next game signups, lol?
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:15 am

You can. I'm not in a hurry to start the game. But I called dibs, so I will open the topic now, even if we play the game later.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:20 am

It's my fault really. I get bored when the town theorytards too much and then later on when I check again after a while I go "ugh guys why are you being so obtuse."

I am aware that it might seem bipolar to you guys but that's because I constantly switch from not caring to caring a little.

Kireato

Postby Kireato » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:26 am

Aww. Well unfortunately, I had already revealed myself to Airnike. So basically from the beginning of the game, I took the decision to blindly trust him and hope for the best. I couldn't think of a way to test his allegiance since I was mostly blind as to what could be done.

I did find his insistence on using his COP instead of his SCOP troubling last night but I couldn't do much about it.

All the extra votes today had me reconsidering everything, but as I thought, it ended up before I could say much.
"Hey, it's the Kir. Wee." - Linkman 145
"I can't help myself sometimes... :cry:" -Help Topic Guest

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:30 am

Kireato wrote:Aww. Well unfortunately, I had already revealed myself to Airnike. So basically from the beginning of the game, I took the decision to blindly trust him and hope for the best. I couldn't think of a way to test his allegiance since I was mostly blind as to what could be done.

I did find his insistence on using his COP instead of his SCOP troubling last night but I couldn't do much about it.

All the extra votes today had me reconsidering everything, but as I thought, it ended up before I could say much.

In a way, it was too late.
Also, from the moment I insisted on going COP, I counted you as "not trusting me". Also, my SCOP still sucked. Except for sending three townies into space, that is. I mean come on, who can survive that?
Also yes, it makes two games in a row that I participate in a lightning-fast mafia quickhammer. 7-minute on the first, and one minute on the second.
Can't top this.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:30 am

You saying something wouldn't have changed anything. We had the necessary five votes all by ourselves, so no matter who you voted for, you were screwed.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 am

I had a hunch linkman and HPD were innocent, but yeah, I failed to realize what was going on until endgame.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:You saying something wouldn't have changed anything. We had the necessary five votes all by ourselves, so no matter who you voted for, you were screwed.

QFT.
The only way you could win was outrun us at lynching someone. And you still had 50% chance of choosing the wrong guy and winning it for us xD
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 am

Not to mention you weren't looking that good yourself, Draggy.

st3rn fudge st3rn

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:39 am

And I was bossing everyone around in a way, like Linkman said. Mole in charge BAHAHA--

Enough being evil. I still have my 100% make-it-to-endgame record after 6 games or something :)
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:47 am

Exactly. And I would have it too, were it not for Deoxy and her meddling Deathray!

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:59 am

ugh, yeah, grats mafia

Town was in a really bad position right from the get-go due to the stupidness of the faction chat and a bunch of horribly unbalanced powers.

I literally had nothing to work with, except for Kireato. Besides Satel, he was the only one I figured I could trust.

Dragonite and Linkman did very little beneficial to the town except post the occasional grump. Deoxy is just Deoxy and I sort of know what to expect. Then Kilty dropped out and we were in deep crumpets.

On top of that, I really got screwed out of powers and had nothing to use that would somehow help.

This game was easy for the mafia. Next time, every ability and whatnot should be made public at game start, so that the town actually has a chance to consider things.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:01 am

Ok, SO. Two things for anyone who makes a game like this:

1) Deoxy's death ray rng was hilarious and all, but really, don't do it again. Death by RNG sucks and also, not knowing how your class works sucks. Maybe Deoxy would have actually gave a crumpets about the game if she had a functioning class. IDK.

2) If there's mafia in the chats, for the love of god tell people right away. It might have been a completely different game if Kir hadn't roleclaimed. Maybe. I think the chats were underused and a good idea overall, if HPD had pressed me in there I don't think I would have done as well as Ainiku did with Kir.

That said, COs I liked:

Satel's was very interesting. The win condition sucked, especially for HPD, but she had a cheap, potentially gamewinning SCOP that was entirely based around politics. I think we've covered it to death, but it would have been cool had the game not blown up in Satel's face (literally =P)

Linkman's actually was pretty great too, if he had been able to use it. Basically, instead of trying to figure out who's evil, Linky needed to figure out who's innocent and then help them anyway he could. In a game with limited communication, the ability to communicate secretly was huge, I would have used it to create a code that we could then use in the topic. Biggest problem is if you ended up helping the mafia, but this was overall a class with huge risk/reward for the town.

Caulder, let's face it, would have been a BOSS had Twelve Boats not been in the game. The idea of a player who starts out weaker than everyone else but slowly ramps up into an unstoppable force perfectly fits the bill. And his SCOP wasn't QUITE as bad as he thought, would have been even better if Satel had joined us as planned.

So yeah there we go that's my thoughts on the mechanics side of the game. I wasn't lying when I said the mechanics of this game were genuinely interesting. And all bs theorycrafting about "perfect voting patterns" aside, I do like the fact that the mechanics push you to lynch people.

I strongly suggest people read the NBH topic btw =P

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:05 am

Pkdragon wrote:Ok, SO. Two things for anyone who makes a game like this:

1) Deoxy's death ray rng was hilarious and all, but really, don't do it again. Death by RNG sucks and also, not knowing how your class works sucks. Maybe Deoxy would have actually gave a crumpets about the game if she had a functioning class. IDK.

2) If there's mafia in the chats, for the love of god tell people right away. It might have been a completely different game if Kir hadn't roleclaimed. Maybe. I think the chats were underused and a good idea overall, if HPD had pressed me in there I don't think I would have done as well as Ainiku did with Kir.

That said, COs I liked:

Satel's was very interesting. The win condition sucked, especially for HPD, but she had a cheap, potentially gamewinning SCOP that was entirely based around politics. I think we've covered it to death, but it would have been cool had the game not blown up in Satel's face (literally =P)

Linkman's actually was pretty great too, if he had been able to use it. Basically, instead of trying to figure out who's evil, Linky needed to figure out who's innocent and then help them anyway he could. In a game with limited communication, the ability to communicate secretly was huge, I would have used it to create a code that we could then use in the topic. Biggest problem is if you ended up helping the mafia, but this was overall a class with huge risk/reward for the town.

Caulder, let's face it, would have been a BOSS had Twelve Boats not been in the game. The idea of a player who starts out weaker than everyone else but slowly ramps up into an unstoppable force perfectly fits the bill. And his SCOP wasn't QUITE as bad as he thought, would have been even better if Satel had joined us as planned.

So yeah there we go that's my thoughts on the mechanics side of the game. I wasn't lying when I said the mechanics of this game were genuinely interesting. And all bs theorycrafting about "perfect voting patterns" aside, I do like the fact that the mechanics push you to lynch people.

I strongly suggest people read the NBH topic btw =P

Death by RNG sucks. No crumpets.

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:09 am

no, pk, contrary to what you believe, caulder was not a very good co

by the time he's charged enough, the game is in too late a stage for his abilities to matter

I think it'd be better if the more stars he gets, the harder it'll be to kill him, or something
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:12 am

I did use my powers. On Kireato.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:14 am

Okay. So according to IRC Chat feedback, I'll apologize to everyone for my recent obnoxiousness.

Also Linkman has extra apologies if he takes them for my antagonizing him. You have my congratulations as well, for being the only one except the Lad who found me out.

Also, screw RNG. I was scum like 4 games out of 6/7?
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:18 am

honestly that's the third problem with the game, in general stars charged a bit too slow and therefore everyone's stars went off at the end of the game. But it's hard to pin down exactly what the problem is there, and even harder to balance it.

Of course, it might have been different if the game had been longer than 4 days (one of which nothing happened and the other was basically game over), either because there were more players ,or the town had managed to kill off one of the mafia.

Still think it was better than you made it seem and had there not been a fudge of powers going off round 4, including both of the mafia voting powers, it might well have turned out different.

@ Linkman

Ahhh I missed that, that explains why he was able to protect me (>_>) last night despite us not charging him up.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:24 am

The neo black hole discussion is hillarious btw. 'Yeah, I've noticed that Dragonite is hard because he hardly follows what's going on, meaning mafia ploys tend to not work on him. He's also very stubborn and resistant to being manipulated. He doesn't really help the town so much as is really hard to control.'' stubborn, eh? It's nice to have that one perk at the very least. >_>

I agree with HPD we should have claimed more openly. As I said before I started, I tend to play very passive if I have to many unknowns. I'm mostly blaming myself for not actively trying to fill the gaps, such the unknown CO powers. I also had that insta-kill charging up over time, and was hesistant to go public with it. Had I surivived to activate it, I would have used it on one of my own suspects, although it probably would've been useless with Kir's protection.

Overall, this game was pretty good in hindsight. The mafia seem to have had a blast with them having a better grasp on the situation. It would have been closer if Kir's gambit didn't bore the town. The lifeblood of mafia is urgency after all. With Kilty bailing out and Deoxy being a wildcard(and not being very clear about it), our midgame was shoddy as well. Would be down for trying this again with a few tweaks.

One suggestion would be dropping the SCOPs. The game would flow better if COP of all prices are used throughout different phases, but that just my opinion. Perhaps we can also add more charging options, half stars seem like a good start.

I also aren't really a fan of nightkill immunity that last longer then a single night. Being pressed to rat out mafia as soon as possible makes it easier for the town to rally together.

Twelve Boats

Postby Twelve Boats » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:47 am

yeah my usual laissez-faire "strategy" when i play mafia was compounded pretty hard when i discovered my character was pointless
the dream

MysteriousLad

Re: Advance Wars Upick: The Underdogs (Mafia) Win!!!

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:18 am

Sorry for the bad end flavour, I had to rush to a waterpolo training.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:32 am

This game was also a test, I wanted to add some even more wacky mechanics however I resisted. (Think even more spawns and unit battles.)
This game has given me a lot of info; you guys dislike lynchers, star charging needs a tweak ect. I'll keep the neighbourhoods, it allows for talk for those who want to. The masons could of also abused it.

Wait, wait, wait.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:38 am

Yeah, I think I' redo this some time far in the future.

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Dragon Fogel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:39 am

MysteriousLad showed me the setup ahead of time, but there were just too many factors for me to get a sense of balance. I told him it would be best to go ahead with it and see where the problems popped up.

Probably should have thought about what people should have been informed of before the game started, though. If I'd been thinking of that, I definitely would have recommended a warning that mason partners might not be town-aligned.

Good to see that people enjoyed the basic mechanics, at least.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Return to “You are at a dead end of a dirt road. The road goes to the east.”