"Airnike presents: Cop Mafia!" Signups

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Airnike

"Airnike presents: Cop Mafia!" Signups

Post by Airnike » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:19 pm

This is a quite simple setup I've had in mind for a long time.

The simple key to this setting is that EVERYBODY IS A COP! Of course, everyone has their quirk and the Mafia has roles specifically oriented to counter the Cops.
Will you the Good Cop or the Bad Cop or the Mafia Cop?

Ask questions if the setup seems flawed to you.

For now, the setup includes 5 Cops, 3 Mafia, one Godfather, 1000 ways to be wrong, and one cat.
  1. In:
  2. Dragonite
  3. HPD
  4. Satel
  5. MysteriousLad
  6. Hawkesnightmare
  7. Q
  8. K
  9. pkdragon
  10. Sven
  11. Gentleman of Dread
  12. Linkman
Last edited by Airnike on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Re: "Airnike presents: Cop Mafia!" Signups

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Well, you're upfront about it. I expect Jester-ish antics, but it sounds like fun.

In.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 pm

I was hoping for a more serious game, but whatever.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Don't get me wrong, this is supposed to be serious.
You just don't have to rely on one Cop to investigate is all.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:43 pm

i'm in
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:46 am

So you're giving me a chance to lie and manipulate?
/in
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:39 am

God damn it airnike, MysteriousLad is gonna lie to us! How could you allow such tomfoolery?

Also in
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:08 am

Q and K on the scene!
BUY GOLD

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:14 am

I miss the GLORIOUS INSPECTOR, mr deemo...
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:31 am

me too

in
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 am

where pk goes i follow

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:57 am

sven i apologize in advance i told airnike i would be good this time

after ruining both his and his brother's mafia games in the span of a single day, i feel the need to stick to that promise

for at least a day or two
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:18 am

where sven goes
i'm there
stalking him

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:26 pm

sven mafia gameplan options

1. latch onto funniest member in game rejected by pkdragon
2. prey upon pkdragon's insecurities and the fact that all euros come off as stiff.
in case of Joey, try:
3. become a tryhard to make sure his calculations are wrong.
Spoiler: show
2 seems likely.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:19 pm

HPD wrote:I was hoping for a more serious game, but whatever.
Can we make sure it isn't too broken?
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 pm

It actually looks fairly tame.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:46 pm

C'mon guys. These "everybody is different" games are fun from time to time but they are certain to derail. See: PokeMaf, IlluminatiMaf...

I'm all for trying new things, but in moderation works best :)
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:48 pm

Don't worry, no role's too flashy this time.
There's a lot of ways for the Cops to be wrong,; given that they're so numerous.
I have only two potentially broken roles out of eight so far, and I need to make 2 more, which will probably be one mafia one townie, for a 6-4 ratio.
7 Cops - 3 Mafia is a town that's too powerful.

Also, only a few roles are wonky this time around.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:35 am

I thought Illuminatimaf was more vanillia at first though.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:58 am

Dragonite wrote:I thought Illuminatimaf was more WTF at first though.
Fixed.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:49 am

hmmmm so what i'm getting is we're going to have information overload to the point where we can't trust any of it so it might as well be vanilla with no investigator at all

got it

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:27 am

trust yourself

that'll be a good start, even though that IS going to be hard
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:35 am

What PK said, basically.

The thing with a setup like this is often that it can also become a mass roleclaim where everybody just posts their results in topic and see whatever adds up and what doesn't.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:59 am

You'll see who is lying. I should disable one role from talking though.
But there will be roles that screw up results globally, not individually.
Last edited by Airnike on Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:21 am

Please consider hypo-copping though.
Were everyone claims a result (even those that didn't get any, they make it up/say so) each day so as people flip the town can puzzle it out.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:51 am

It's a fine balance, I guess, between giving so much information that everyone can figure it out pretty much instantly by roleclaiming/sharing results, or having so many variables that no one will care about anything and we revert to Pk's scenario.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:15 am

listen
when the europeans die first
kill sven

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:23 am

>they've figured me out

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:37 am

>sven we enacted this plan out together i know of your plan

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:03 am

I will join but I seriously suggest checking the balance Air Jordanius!

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Don't you worry, I'm trying to find counters to mass claiming first. I've already - I think - balanced the roles between each other.

The fact that the Mafia starts with a 40% headcount only two kills away from victory makes it Mislynch-and-lose from day one, which is another issue I've discovered. So it's probably ending up 7-3 with less powerful Cops.

Maybe 6-3-1 with a third-party role sounds good. THIRD PARTY -- THE SOLUTION TO EVERYTHING

Working it this morning while my brother's not here to see.

EDIT: With now 11 players, maybe a 7-4 with no third-party is in order...
EDIT2: I'm also balancing the roles as Cops with powerful modifiers when they're outnumbering the Mafia nearly 2-to-one is too stronk. While I like town victories, it shouldn't be this easy.
EDIT3: This should please you. Taken out the Mole, one of the wonkiest roles.
Welcome, Airnike, you are the Mole. You are aligned with the Town.
You are a hacker friend of the Mafia... or so it looks. You're working secretly to root out the Mafia, but your activities might be suspicious to the Cops' eyes...
-> PASSIVE: Returns guilty on investigation.
--> TRIGGER: Each night (barring Night 0), you receive the name of one Mafia member.
---> If you already know all Mafia members and should receive a result, they instead receive an investigation result on you.
----> If all alive Mafia members have an investigation result on you, you die instead.
EDIT4: Working credible fakeclaims.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:50 pm

So that mole is a timebomb who at one point in time holds all the cards? Yeah, leak your list, die in some manner,reveal role on death, rout mafia. Probably for the best.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:11 pm

This role was unbalanceable, which is why I took it out.
The original intent was the Mole was right but couldn't be trusted by townies, but I would have to lie on his death to not instantly prove him right. There's limits to what I accept to do.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 pm

So, are you providing a bluff role for mafia members if I'm reading it right? My faillure to bluff a fake role on the spot has given me troubles before, so it's nice if that's the case.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Mafia roles have workable Cop claims. Those need to be perfected though, as anyone with half a brain could've done what I have at the moment.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am

I will be very interested in seeing exactly how this game will blow up within one day phase. That's not to say that I don't have faith in your setup abilities, Airnike. I'm more concerned about the actions and reactions of this game's participants.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:23 pm

roleclaiming investigator

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:19 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:I will be very interested in seeing exactly how this game will blow up within one day phase. That's not to say that I don't have faith in your setup abilities, Airnike. I'm more concerned about the actions and reactions of this game's participants.
Considering there is a Night 0, people could very well lie and blow up the game. This is equally concerning to me, if not more. I'm hoping some names will have the decency to not do that.

The game might start in the next two days.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:17 pm

roleclaiming sven

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:19 pm

Roleclaiming Treed.

Treedilinks is the new thing.