WWN FATE: Rules, Signups, and Setting Discussion!

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

Re: WWN FATE: Rules, Signups, and Setting Discussion!

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:47 am

Just like to say, Narts, really loving those maps, much better than the paint quality maps we'd have gotten from me. The Supply depot in particular is very similar to how I was going to set it up =D

*continues lurking*
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:11 pm

ty

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:52 pm

dogs!

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:45 am

There is a now a skill called Explosives, which is mainly used for building and disarming bombs.

You may assign points to it from any skills you haven't used yet.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:48 am

I decided that those other RPG systems are kind of bad - or just too complicated / heavy for our purposes. There were some nice ideas in them though.

However, I decided a better way to introduce some flavour to the combat system would be to just modify the FATE rules with my own additions, which I will introduce one by one. I will start with...

New rule: Suppressive Fire

Any weapon capable of firing full auto can be used to perform this action during a combat round instead of shooting normally.

Instead of targeting an individual enemy, this targets an entire zone - however, it cannot target the zone the shooter is in.

Everyone in that zone must roll for Will. A failed roll means the character is too busy keeping his head down and may not perform actions during that turn.

When you use Suppressive Fire, you are not rolling for hit or miss - but you must still roll Shoot to determine whether you run out of ammo. If you run out of ammo, well, you won't be able to shoot your weapon again until you find more ammo or another weapon.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:13 am

just copypaste everything from xcom imo
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:21 am

Yes! The original X-com you surely mean!

An alien grenade comes out of the darkness, flies through the window and instantly kills every single one of you in turn 1.

Game Over.

That was a joke, for the incredibly slow ones out there

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:51 am

Just reminding everyone that Creating an Advantage and going on Full Defence are possible actions during combat. These are explained in pk's original post.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Is Creating an Advantage tied to a skill, aspect, roll, or something else?

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:17 pm

There's always a roll involved, but you must specify if you're creating a new situation aspect or taking advantage of an existing one. Note: If you fail the roll badly enough, you may end up creating an advantage for the enemy instead!

"Use the create an advantage action to make a situation aspect that gives you a benefit, or to claim a benefit from any aspect you have access to."

The Aspect can be something in the environment or it can be inherent to your character. It could even be some other character's Aspect - anything goes, as long as you can narratively explain it.

An Advantage, once created, can be considered a type of Situtational Aspect, but (if it succeeded) you can invoke it for free once or twice without having to spend a Fate point on it.

An example of Creating an Advantage could be kicking some barrels over and making an obstacle out of it.

BTW although I may have been a bit lazy at writing Aspects formally down, a good rule of thumb is that if I've described something, anything at all, chances are you can argue it's an Aspect that can be invoked. Even if I've not directly mentioned or described something, if it makes sense for it to be there, you might be able to use it. Be creative.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:15 am

Another rule I've neglected to talk about concerns something called Teamwork.

It's possible for two or more characters to pool their skills towards a single roll. The one who has the biggest skill rolls the dice and gets a +1 bonus for every helper who has a +1 or more at that skill.

However, if the roll fails and if there are any costs or consequences to failure, everyone involved in the roll shares in the cost, whether that is in the form of Stress, Consequences or any other kinds of complications.

BTW, is my current level of description in combat enough, or do people insist on seeing all the dice rolls etc.? Because I could show those too if people want.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:31 am

Just say what happens, I like playing games and seeing what happens though the calculations don't interest me much.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:20 pm

i'm fine with you doing all the bips and bops behind the scenes, not like i'm gonna check your work or something
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm

A bit related are my concerns about FATE.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fine, even a great system, but it does seem to encourage people to think of their actions in a metagaming sense - it's a bit difficult to play if the players aren't constantly using fate points and thinking about aspects and whatever, and I think there's an argument to be made about metagame resources like fate points and loss of immersion.

A more traditional type of RPG system would probably actually be less demanding of the players, even if the mechanics were technically more complicated. You could basically just focus on roleplaying and let me handle all the number crunching. Plus I think my cards basically do the same thing as the Fate points anyway, just in a simpler, more elegant way.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:49 pm

that'd certainly be easy for me, i haven't really fully digested how the system works. but the others probably dig it
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:58 pm

I have the feeling nobody really understands how it works (and I'm not even 100% I understand myself! And I've read most of the manual)

That's why I'm concerned

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Is the argument that meta resources like FATE points increase or decrease immersion?

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:05 pm

I think I'm getting the hang of the stuff that's already been explained. Including FATE points.

Wait, wait, wait.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:39 am

Roflcakes
"We are all equally real and unreal."

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Is it still crumpets avatar week?

Wait, wait, wait.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:50 pm

i'm not good at making images smaller
wisdom

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:55 am

if you save the original image as a png it should scale down better!