WWN FATE: Rules, Signups, and Setting Discussion!

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

WWN FATE: Rules, Signups, and Setting Discussion!

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:40 am

What is this?
Ultimately this will be a hybrid forum RP using the FATE mechanics. The mechanics are rather light, but they do provide some structure for character building and roleplay, which is nice because I feel the main thing that drags down freeform RPs is people doing things they probably shouldn't be able to do, and FATE's main advantage is that it gives you rules around doing incredibly awesome things or even adding your own touches to the story... every once in awhile. Instead of in every post. Because we are using FATE, this will be a bit slower and possibly a bit more GM oriented than some RPs in the past, but I will try to give you situations where you don't have to wait for my confirmation every post.

What you need:
~A way to roll 6 sided dice. I like http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm, though it's a bit more complicated than you need. Random.org works too. We'll be using the honor system here because we're all mature adults... well, most of us anyway. If you have a problem with the honor system we could use Roll20 so I can check that rolls are valid, but I don't want to force people to sign up for a site to play.

~ A word processor, notepad, some sort of system to keep track of your character's few vital statistics and Fate Points. The numbers are low, generally 2 to 4 for each stat, so yeah.

~ Enough time to check in at least once or twice a day and post. This is important so that we can go at a sane click.

Yeah, that's it.

OPTIONAL:
~A character sheet. I'll be providing a text based form, but if you want to look up and download the actual sheet, I find that is always helpful for visualizing the game.

~The FATE Core book. It's a free download, and reading it will always help. However, the game is honestly so simple that this is optional. And there's some stuff that I might even ignore or change around a bit. But if anything confuses you, or you want a head start on character creation, this is where to go.

How the Game Will Work

First, we'll determine a setting and the premise of the setting. That's this topic. (Yeah, there's rules for group setting creation in the book!) Then, knowing what the game will actually be about, we'll create characters in a seperate topic. Finally, we'll start playing in the last topic.

Here's how I envision play- this is technically a tabletop game, so it'll be slightly different than a 100% freeform RP because I'm going to be the storyteller, and give you guys things to do and situations to overcome. So, I give you a scenario, you react to it, etc. Occasionally I'll tell you to make a roll if you want to do certain actions, you roll, I tell you the level of success or failure, maybe add in a little bit of detail of my own, and then you can respond to that result... or just say “yep that happened” and continue on. If you fail, you might get hurt. If you get hurt too much, you might suffer a Consequence, which will be defined based on situation.

There's one other mechanic you should know about. Basically, there's Fate Points that you can use when Stuff is Happening and you want a boost to rolls, or the ability to reroll, or just the go-ahead to do something really cool. As long as you can justify it by linking it to your character's Aspects (Aspects are important character traits, I will explain what these are in more detail when we create characters), you can then spend a Fate Point to do that thing. You can also spend a FATE point when you want to bring in a story element that otherwise you might have to ask the GM about, like saying "oh hey look there's an path deeper into the dungeon here". (just don't abuse this, lol). Basically, FATE points are your currency for doing otherwise gamebreaking things. You start with 3 and you'll get more at a pretty good click. Just say you're spending them at the beginning of the post.

This might seem a little mechanic heavy, but do keep in mind that I've basically just explained the entire game in a nutshell. Sure, I skipped a few details here and there, and yes there's a few more mechanics involved with character creation. Still, this should be a pretty loose game, which makes it pretty easy for forum play, I'd think.

The game will be a play-by-post game, and it might be slightly slow because of timezones and such. This is better than trying to get all our seperate time zones into a game at the same time. I will attempt to define certain times each day that I will be available on the IRC, so you can know that I'll be around during those times if you plan on doing anything dramatic.

So what now?

Well, first, if you're interested, feel free to sign up. Due to the nature of the game, I'm looking from anywhere from 3 to 8 players (8 might be a bit much, but I think if it's forum based I can handle it, and I don't want to turn down anyone if I can avoid it.

Since I haven't yet posted the exact character creation rules, I will understand if you see them and withdraw your sign up. Ideally this won't happen but nevertheless I do understand >_>

Second, I need some details on what we're going to play. If you have any particular ideas on what you'd like to play, I'd be happy if you could chime in on these factors:

Basic Setting: Anything from modern day to fantasy, and anything between.Other ideas: Steampunk, Modern Fantasy, Sci Fi, etc. I'd like everyone to at least chime in on this bit.
Scale: Would you prefer an epic scale, traveling the world, fighting world-changing events? Or would you like something smaller scaled, like surviving in a hostile town?
Issues: More detailed conflicts that the players might face. Are they going to fight a mob boss? A dark lord? An alliance of superpowered soccer moms? Or maybe they need to just pass the most difficult class in the school. Issues are basically the actual premise of the game.

Those three are the main things needed for a game, any other details are also appreciated.

You could also just point to someone else's ideas and say “hey that's good”. Feel free to object to someone else's ideas as well, I don't want to run a game that certain players just wouldn't have fun in.

If I don't get any interesting ideas and people are generally ambivalent to picking a setting, we're just going to do generic fantasy. But if you want to do something more interesting than that, now is the time to make suggestions!

((Finally, this is an experimental game. If this doesn't work, I'll host a 100% freeform RP instead. Though the stuff about picking the setting stands, I don't have any preferences to what we type of game we play.))

EDIT:

Dice Rolls in FATE

So whenever you have to roll something, you roll 4 6 sided dice. If you get a 1 or 2, that's a -1( or just a "minus", if it's easier to think of it that way.). If you get a 3 or 4, that's a 0. If you get a 5 or 6, that's a +1 (or just a "plus"). Then you add up the results. That should give you anywhere from -4 (all 1s or 2s) to +4 (all 5s or 6s). Then you add to that number the corresponding "Skill", and any other bonuses you've got from "stunts" or "aspects".

So if you got a 0, -1, +1, and +1, you'd have a total of +1, which is considered fair. But if you were rolling a skill that you're trained in at a +2 level, that would be a +3 total, which is pretty awesome.

Alternatively, you roll a 0, -1, -1, -1. That's a -3, and even with all your training you only bring it up to a -1. But then you can decide that's balls, and that you're going to be cooler than that because this check relates to your character in some way, and you "invoke an aspect" to play a fate point. You then can add another +2 from the Fate point to get a +1 in total. Not bad for one of the worst dice rolls possible.

So yeah. Roll 4 6 sided dice, add up the result according to the standard above, add bonuses from skills (and stunts, but we'll talk about those later), and if you can justify it maybe spend a fate point.

Sometime you'll be rolling against an arbitrary DC, other times you'll be rolling against an enemy's rolls. But that's gameplay in a nutshell. There's one more major thing I want to go into, and that's exactly what an Aspect is and you use them, but I'm going to do that in the character creation topic.

EDIT EDIT:

OK guys, I apologize, one more bit of rules, this time about FATE POINTS. This is mostly all stuff I've mentioned before, but I wanted to be explicit and have it all in one place. Also, mentioning compels for the first time, which is a great feature, but also a box of worms, which is why I've waited so long to bring it up.

Fate Points

Fate Points are basically wildcards that your characters can use to truly excel in specific situations. You start with 3, and you will gain FATE points for reaching major points in the story, accomplishing major goals, accepting Compels (see the end of this post), and anything else that I find worth rewarding.

Invoking an Aspect

This is the numerical, mechanical way to use a Fate Point. Basically, when making a skill check, you can get a +2 boost to your roll, IF you can explain how it's relevant to your character's aspects or the situational aspects.

Example: You've got “Hatred of Midgets”. You are fighting a Midget. You use a FATE point to give yourself a +2 to Fight that midget, because he really pisses you off. ((Disclaimer: This is just an example, please do not hate on midgets and beat them up.))

Example: It's rainy. Situational aspect is “Low Visibility”. Normally this would be a problem for you, but you can also use it to your advantage by spending a FATE point and using it to enhance your sneak roll. That would represent going out of the way to use the rainy environment to your advantage while sneaking.

Declaring a story detail

Now, this is where things get interesting. Well, I'll just start by actually pulling out the relevant page.
Hidden Text
Hmmm. Very interesting. Now, once again, it doesn't give you completely free reign. You should TRY to keep it reasonable, and relevant to either your character's aspects or the current Situational Aspects. But this is a powerful tool and has a lot of potential uses.

Paying for Stunts
Some stunts are powerful and require an active FATE point to be payed to use them. I think we've covered that pretty well.

GM Fiat

If you're asking for a favor, I may very well say “hey bro, spend a FATE point and you can do that”. Or I may not. Depends on the request. But again, FATE points are a wildcard and a bargaining chip. For example, asking me to throw certain vehicles or equipment your way, I'm totally willing to do so if you're willing to spend a FATE point for it!

Compels

Ok, there's one more important FATE concept that I haven't talked about yet, mostly because they're really tricky to adapt to the forum setting. But basically, something particularly bad happens to you and you get a FATE point out of it to use later.

For example, I might PM you “hey do you want to fall into this pit, even though you passed your notice check? I'll give you a FATE point”.

And you can say “hell yeah sweet FATE point!” or “hell no I don't know what's down there”. You might even say “wait a second... just how deep is the pit?”

So that part is something you don't have to concern yourself with. It's mostly on my end. HOWEVER, there's one other thing to be aware of:

You have the right to suggest a compel for your character. You can ask me “Hey can I fall into this trap even though I passed this check with flying colors?” and I will probably say “Sure” and give you a FATE point. This is completely 100% optional, but it is a way to get FATE points, as well as enhance the drama of the story.

The main take-away here really is that FATE points (and Compels) can be used to change the story in unexpected ways. There's a lot of room for creativity here, so don't be afraid to ask.

--

As far as I know, there's only one segment of rules I need to introduce, and that's Combat. Because there is a structure to combat, and I think it's best just to explain when we get there. It's not that hard though, and is mostly just a variation on the standard mechanics.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Sven

Re: WWN FATE: Rules, Signups, and Setting Discussion!

Post by Sven » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:51 am

AW RP where we're all COs going up against blackhole.

it'll be the closest all of us have been to real AW in years yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:18 am

Oh man make me a child again and do some fun AW roleplaying. Just for kicks.

I'm in with whatever though.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:44 am

That is a fantastic idea, Sven.

I'm going make a suggestion though- let's not limit it to COs. Characters can be jet pilots, tanks drivers, infantry grunts, whatever they want. COs are fine too, of course, but I see a lot of potential there.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:04 am

I would've picked high fantasy or something, but AW works too. I just hope we can take a AW setting serious enough.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:36 am

Well again, if you feel there's something more interesting out there than AW, feel free to bring it up. The jury is far from decided.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:27 am

While I've always wanted to play FATE, I'm not sure I can commit to the 'once every other day'.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm in, need to read the rules though.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm in. Either Advance Wars or whatever will be come up with is fine by me.

As long as I'm not forced into being blandguy.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm down for AW! I think it'd be better than fantasy lore not all of us are familiar with.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 pm

If we're doing advance wars I must be grit, nobody else likes him or thinks he's good.

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:21 pm

MysteriousLad wrote: nobody else likes him or thinks he's good.
what

Yeah, AWDS neo-gippy play happened, but..

what

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:43 pm

i'm interested. AW would be preferred over high fantasy as I'm not a very big fan of the latter.

will read the rules and stuff first
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:58 am

Here's the suggestion via the rules in pk's post:
Advance Wars
Epic
Some problem with neo-black hole or caulder

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:14 am

Maybe Caulder transplanted his brain into a Andy clone!

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:29 am

AW I think would work best if we're an infantry squad or something. Maybe commandos behind enemy lines to give a bit more freedom.

BTW I might be in

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:32 am

Yeah, roleplaying AW CO's is probably not that good, but soldiers in an AW universe probably is.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:02 am

I don't know how well FATE's mechanics would support it or if it would actually add to the gameplay, but it would be kind of amusing if you were soldiers but you kept getting shuffled around between COs and your stats changed when you did, with the occasional CO power happening at seemingly random intervals.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:25 am

Ok so it looks like AW it is! I agree with Narts that a squadron of soldiers would work better than COs, but as long as you made an active CO like Sami or Max, who clearly fight on the frontlines, I could make it work. I really do like the trapped behind enemy lines bit, I'm strongly considering having that be a Premise of the game, unless anyone has objections.

early interest signups

1.Sven
2. hpd
3. dragonite?
4. ML
5. Linkman
6. Monkey?
7. Narts?

That's more than enough interest to get started. I'm going to go into a bit more detail into the actual rules rules in the next topic. I'll try to get that topic out by the end of today but I've got some stuff going on.

@ Xen : yeah I understand the problem with demanding consistent activity, I just have seen in the past the number one issue with RPs dying is people going missing when other people need them to post. Maybe if this is a success (or if it's not a success, and I need to change things) I can figure out a different way to set it up so that people aren't required to post as often.

@ Dragon Fogel: FATE's mechanics are super loose, so they don't support that sort of thing by default, but there's also nothing saying we couldn't do something like that. At the end of the day, FATE isn't a super stat driven RPG. Yes, It has some basic skill-use and dice rolling, especially when combat breaks out, but is ultimately more about storytelling than anything. And due to the forum nature of the game, I'm probably going to be doing even less dice rolling than normal. I might be able to work that concept in, but only if it fits the narrative. Don't want to force it.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:29 am

Fits the narrative... This basically means we're going to roll dice to damage tanks, isn't it? >_>

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:38 am

"It's a 2HP B-Copter! Run for your lives!"

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 am

And so, Sven became a MAN. He knew the true duty of a MAN. Men who joined the ranks of MAN rarely returned home to their families. He would stand in front of the ARTY and defend it until his health gauge depleted completely.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 am

beautiful, sven. brings a tear to my eyes.

I have updated the rules with a section on how to actually roll the dice. 90% of the mechanical part of the game is just rolling dice and declaring when you get bonuses to the rolls. So that's important.

There's a few more concepts I want to talk about in more detail, but I'm going to talk about those in the character creation topic. I've mentioned them, "Aspects" and "Stunts". Aspects are pretty simple, and Stunts are ultimately pretty minor. Then I really will be done with all the rules. 90% of the mechanical gameplay is rolling dice, adding bonuses, and seeing what happens. Most of the fun is in the RP.

Getting close to being done with the character creation stuff, hopefully will post it this evening.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:35 pm

I've started pulling juggerbot out of retirement.

If you're on the irc you can go !dice xdy to roll a x dice of y sides.

I make no promises that my internet won't die at like 3 am causing the bot to disconnect and never reconnect, though.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Pkdragon wrote:@ Dragon Fogel: FATE's mechanics are super loose, so they don't support that sort of thing by default, but there's also nothing saying we couldn't do something like that. At the end of the day, FATE isn't a super stat driven RPG. Yes, It has some basic skill-use and dice rolling, especially when combat breaks out, but is ultimately more about storytelling than anything. And due to the forum nature of the game, I'm probably going to be doing even less dice rolling than normal. I might be able to work that concept in, but only if it fits the narrative. Don't want to force it.
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that very seriously and I have no idea how well it would work even if you did it. It was just a silly idea for playing with a quirk of the setting. and I was wondering if the mechanics could fit it in.

Even if you don't have formal stats, there's probably some way to reflect "infantry are stronger"/"artillery are stronger" or whatever the hypothetical day-to-day ability is. But unless that's the way people want to play, it's more a curiosity than anything.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Dragon Fogel wrote:Even if you don't have formal stats, there's probably some way to reflect "infantry are stronger"/"artillery are stronger" or whatever the hypothetical day-to-day ability is. But unless that's the way people want to play, it's more a curiosity than anything.
Yeah, FATE has an aspects system where you can define powers like "Fights better at range" or something where you can add those sorts of defining edge powers.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:42 am

Sorry for the delays in getting this started, something came up. Better to delay things now than to have an awkward lull after everyone gets their characters created. Again, will try to have everything posted by tonight, just need to write up a good explanation of Aspects.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:12 am

I keep thinking of this as ''Advance wars fates'' now. >_>

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:17 am

Advance Wars Fate.

The world's safety hangs in the balance because Mr. Evil is fooling around again.
All COs must stop Mr. Evil before he uses a Tag Break with himself and causing Days of Ruin... Oh wait, doing that would break the space-time continuum forever! We're all FUDGED anyway! *shoots self*
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:51 am

Dragonite wrote:I keep thinking of this as ''Advance wars fates'' now. >_>
if i get too many people wanting to play i might have to split it into two games :)

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:00 am

Do you side with the lovable idiots of Warshido, or do you choose the angsty badasses of Ruinohr?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:26 am

Dragonite wrote:Do you side with the lovable idiots of Warshido, or do you choose the angsty badasses of Ruinohr?
But you really should take the third path when you snub them all and at the side of Mr Yamamoto unite the worlds from Bean Island.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Post by QQQQQQQ7777777 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Room for one or two more? No?

> Keeps forgetting to sign up to games because he's too lazy to log in on his phone
BUY GOLD

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:39 am

there's still room, but i do expect a certain degree of activity

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Since I'm in here at least once per day, I'll join.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:02 am

So I have clearly been lax in one area- and it wouldn't have been an area that mattered with dice but does with the card system. Namely, there's potential for abuse in using up negative cards in skill checks that don't matter. So I need to lay down some rules about trivial skill checks:

Trivial Skill Checks
-Interacting with players- this is something that shouldn't really require rolls except in extreme cases. Extreme cases being trying to get a character to do something that their player doesn't want to do. At which point opposed rolls and fate point battles begin, lol. But that's a last resort, first resort is messaging the other player or just asking in game.
- Too general of tasks. Rolls in general should be specific actions, not... "well... I provoke... something!". There may be exceptions, in which case I'll bring them up. Notice being the biggest exception, with "I look around" being the most basic form of Notice. Still, you're usually looking around for a reason- either I asked you to roll it, or you feel there's a reason to look around. I'm just saying, don't waste skill checks if you don't have at least an idea of what you're going to get out of it.
- Easy tasks. This is the biggie, but also the trickiest because of the question "what's easy?". Easy tasks are things we do every day, that even normal people like you and me could achieve with relative ease. Such as brushing our teeth, walking, driving our cars, talking to people for the sake of talking, etc. When in doubt, do feel free to roll, but if I reserve the right to call a roll a trivial roll and "refund" you your card.

In the case of Trivial rolls, you may roll it if you really want- you may use any cards you currently have. But they won't be counted as being removed from your hand. The effects of success may not be as spectacular as they normally would be. And I reserve the right to ignore them if there's a lot going on.

How to know something ISN'T a trivial roll:

- Trying to do a task under pressure or time restraint (such as... during combat)
- Trying to do a task that requires some degree of skill and delivers a result
- Trying to do a task in a direct attempt to overcome a Challenge of some sort

There's a lot of room for wiggle room, but the bottom line is this: don't waste cards and time on skill checks that aren't actually skill checks.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Combat Rules

So we're finally here, it was going to happen eventually. Someone was going to get attacked, this is AW we're talking about. Thankfully, combat in FATE is ultimately pretty simple.

Initiative and Turns

How are we going to determine Initiative (that is, turn order)? Quite frankly, we aren't. This is a forum RP. Combat is going to be really slow if we go that way. In order to simulate Initiative, I will generally ask for rolls before a combat- usually Notice, Athletics, Physique, Empathy, or even Will. If you fail these checks, you will get a temporary negative aspects, "Surprised" or "Slow" or something similar. (If you beat those checks hard, you might even get a positive advantage!) That doesn't mean that you have to wait for everyone else to post before you do, but it is something you should take into account in your first turn post. After that, they usually can be ignored. As for the enemies, chances are they go when I get a chance to post their turn, but I WILL roll similar checks for them, and will keep their results in mind... but just being realistic, they're going to go when they get a chance to go.

(PS, because I'll probably use these fairly often, this is what these two negative aspects will mean:

Surprised- -2 to defense checks, can't move zones this turn.
Slow- can't move zones this turn.

They only last for the first turn though.
)

Actions
So Turns will be a bit of a mess with everyone going whenever they log on, but this is the rule- everyone can make can take (1) action per turn. Actions are major tactical decisions, you can still talk and move (within your zone) without breaking the 1 action rule.

- Attack the Enemy
- Attempt to create an advantage
- Attempt a skill check
- Move between zones
- Full Defense : by giving up your action you can get +2 to defense, basically the equivalent of taking cover.

Zones

So combat takes place in Zones, because we aren't going to deal with tracking exact movement, ESPECIALLY on a forum. In general, you can move 1 zone per turn as an action. There may be times where you will need to make a check to move to a zone, in which case I will either note the check you need to make or tell you the check you need to make if it's hidden. Anyone in a zone can attack others in that zone, but situational aspects can modify how hard it is to attack characters. Attacking between zones may be possible with shooting attacks, but you'll take a penalty unless you are using long ranged weapons like sniper rifles or artillery.

Attacking and Defending

If you attack enemies, then you make a check- Fight if melee, Shoot if ranged, Drive if you're trying to attempt vehicular homicide, etc. Generally they will either counter with a Fight check of their own if in melee, or an Atheletics check to dodge. Enemies can do the same to you, so you will have to roll Atheletics or Fight checks of your own to dodge when I tell you to.

Damage

"Damage" is calculated based on how badly you fail your test. If you fail by 1-2, you take 1 points of damage, if you fail by 3-4, you take 2, and 5+ is 3. What happens when you lose all your HP, then? You don't die, but you will take a consequence. First you take a mild consequence, then a moderate consequence, then a severe consequence. Consequences are bad things, like "bullet wound" or "broken leg". In general, mild consequences are short term and will vanish after the battle, medium consequences are longer term, and severe consequences are very long term and will take a long time to get rid of. If you lose all your health AND all your consequence slots, you get taken out, which may mean anything from death to being taken prisoner depending on the situation. It's not good though.

This is also something that is modified a bit for ease of use on forums. I may have broke it in the process, so I reserve the right to modify the damage mechanics in the future.

Creating an Advantage

Instead of attacking, you can create an advantage. This is a catch-all for any action that shifts the situation in your favor. Generally this creates special advantages that change the way the battle flows, that players can use FATE points to abuse- but there's another bonus when you do this against specific foes. For example, feinting an attack would create an advantage against the enemy you feint against. This allows you to automatically add +2 to all checks made against that enemy, as if you were using a FATE point (but it's free for you because you created the advantage). The rolls needed for this vary depending on what you're trying to do, but they otherwise function the same as any other skill checks.

Unit groups
Being a warzone, There's a lot of squads of units running around, so some "enemies" that you fight will actually be groups of enemies. They won't get 5 attacks (they're mooks so it's assumed most of their bullets are going to miss horribly anyway!) but they will have more HP than your average foe to represent their additional numbers. Most allied NPCs will function this way as well.

Conceding

Sometimes it's better to lose gracefully than draw a battle out long. Conceding means that you give up the fight and have to face the consequences of that, but you won't die (usually), and you get a FATE point for doing so, to help with the loss. It's an option.

So that's about it. Everything else is generally a variation on "Attacking" or "Creating an advantage", and if it isn't, I generally will still allow it. The main difference between combat and everything else is- 1 action per turn, controlled zone movement, and people are trying to kill you :)

Combat Flow

- Combat starts, I define the situational aspects.

- Each player makes one action each.

- I confirm whether the actions were successful or not, enemies take their actions.

- Players defend against enemy actions

- Turn ends, next turn begins. Repeat until finished.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:50 am

Just to be sure, there is no formal "run away" action? It would be something like create an opportunity then roll Athletics/Drive/whatever to try breaking off from the engagement?

And then roll Stealth and circle around for a delicious sneak attack critical.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:04 am

something like that would definitely be handled with creating advantages- maybe some zone movement as well, depending as the situation. There's a lot of formal actions that are missing, but in general you should be able to do anything, and if you can't do it with the actions covered, then I'm willing to be flexible.

Combat is really basic in FATE, which is generally a limitation of the system- but also one of the things that makes the system ideal for playing on a forum- trust me, normal tabletop rpg combat would be godawful to try to work in a play by post system.

I'm probably not posting an update tonight, but I'm going to get some of the busy work done- counting up cards that have been used, statting out npcs, etc. Just no actual posts, because tomorrow is going to be a long day as well for me, and I don't want to start combat until I'm finished with that.