AW FATE: Characters

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

AW FATE: Characters

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:55 pm

So, sorry for the delay. Life happened, as usual, but I got it more or less taken care of. So here's where you make and post your characters!

Scenario: Black Hole are invading again. They are mean and evil. They've taken a nice chunk out of everybody's lands as usual. The nations of Wars World have united once again to stand against them. Many infantry have been sacrificed to the infantry gods. The harshest fighting has taken place in Blue Moon territory, and that is where the game starts. You are part of an elite group of commandos dropped behind enemy lines... or perhaps you are just normal soldiers or even COs who have been cut off from the main army. In any case, winter is coming, or maybe Olaf is just spamming his CO powers, but it's going to be a cold, cold war that you have to fight.

BEFORE we get started, a few last notes on character creation:

Aspects
Aspects are an incredibly important part of FATE, but they're really simple. They're just phrases that describe things that are important, and because they're important, you can use them as excuses to play a FATE point and give bonuses to your character. Character Aspects in particular are things that define your characters. They are phrases that sum up who your characters are. In general, characters should have a Main Concept aspect, a "Trouble" to give them some depth (think some sort of conflict the character has, because no one is perfect), and because this is AW, they should have an aspect linking them to the nation they fight for. Finally, there's a free background aspect that you can use for whatever. Depending on enthusiasm and activity, I might do a little workshop where players are able to define one final aspect for other characters, to create links between characters.

Aspects are a tad bit more complex than that, but that's the core of what we'll need for this game, I want to keep it simple for now.

A note on making aspects: keep it fairly concise and specific. "Soldier of Orange Star" is a fine Aspect, if a bit simple. "Elite Assassin of Orange Star" is still simplistic, has a bit more flavor. Even something like "Ex-Cook Who Accidentally Signed Up For The Military" would be great, but "Crazy Gunslinger Who Also Has A Tragic Past And Plays Piano As A Hobby" should probably be simplified, maybe broken up into multiple aspects. In general, they should represent one idea.

Skills
Skills are really, really simple. They're things your character is good at, predefined by the game. You get +4 in one skill, +3 in two skills, +2 in three skills, +1 in four skills, so proficiency in 10 skills total. These are added to your dice rolls when you roll, based on what you're doing ...There really isn't much more to it than that.

Stunts
Stunts are really the trickiest part, because there's no good way to make them easy for people who haven't read the book. Basically, a stunt represents a specialty of your character, generally tied to a specific skill. It could be a special move, or represent special training for specific situations. USUALLY, a stunt's mechanical benefit is +2 to a specific skill in a specific situation (when you can use that move, for example, or +2 to piloting jets if you're trying to be Eagle). If you want, you can make a particularly effective stunt move that goes beyond that, but it usually costs FATE points to use. Feel free to be creative though, I don't mind too much unless something is waaay off.

Stunts are generally player defined, just cool things you want your character to specialize in. If you want an idea of premade stunts, in the "Skills and Stunts" section of the FATE book. I'll provide some examples if people are having trouble with this step though. If you want to make a CO type character, this would be where you could make a CO Power, and define CO passive abilities, for example. Lastly, stunts are technically optional. I highly recommend creating a few, just because they're fun, but there's no reason you can't create a character and define their stunts later, as the character grows. You get 3 of them. The book says you can get up to 5 by getting less FATE points, but I'm going to keep it simple. You get 3 of them, for now.

Two Other Important Derived Stats
Just a quick note on HP. There's two "HP" stats, Physical Health and Mental Health. These are derived from the skills "Physique" and "Will". Basically, you have two PH and MH no matter what, but if you have 1-2 Physique or Will, you get an extra HP of the associated type, and if you have 3-4 physique or will you get 2 extra HP, for 4 total. Quite frankly, I recommend everyone have 1 of both Physique and Will, it'll just make your lives easier. The good news is, if you run out of PH or MH, you don't die. Things do take a turn for the worst, though, and you suffer a Consequence, which is a Negative Aspect the enemies can use. The more you have, the worse they get. So yeah, low stress as far as "dying" goes, just know that running out of hp makes life harder for you. I will calculate exactly how much PH and MH you have, this is just FYI so you know where those values come from.

Character Sheet
Name:

Aspects
-High Concept: (Should be self-explanatory, but this is the basic character idea)
-Trouble: (Some kind of conflict. Preferably something more personal than “oh crumpets black hole is invading". What motivates your character?)
-Nationality: (An aspect that relates to the nation you are from. Can be as simple as “Soldier of Green Earth” to “Reluctant Refugee From Orange Star Drawn Back Into The Fight”. IDK. Black Hole characters are ok, btw, because this is post-AWDS so there could be ex-black hole soldiers after the Hawke alliance.)
- Background Aspect: (Optional, but some other cool piece of information that defines the character. Could be a relationship with another character, or a piece of background history.)
-Free Aspects: (Aspects that I give you. Pick from the two below, as well as any others freebies I might give you)

Skills
Great +4: (Pick 1 skill from list)
Good +3: (Pick 2 skills from list)
Fair +2: (Pick 3 skills from list)
Average +1: (Pick 4 skills from list)
(Skills are Campaign specific and I will update this once the setting is determined)

Stunts
Stunt 1:
Stunt 2:
Stunt 3:

Extras
Description/Bio/Anything Else:

Woah that's a lot I dont have time for all that
It doesn't have to be finished right away. You can easily get away with saving your free aspect for later. Stunts are nice to define, but also can be developed later. You could even get away with just picking Great, Good, and Fair skills, ignoring the average ones, but I don't recommend it. Really, everything is optional except for those 3 main aspects, and making sure you're good at at least SOMETHING so that you aren't dead weight, but the more the merrier.

Free Aspects
One other thing- As this will begin behind enemy lines, you can belong to either two character backgrounds. You will get a free character aspect for picking either of these.

“Part of An Elite Commando Squad ” : You were part of a multi-national team of elite infantry sent behind enemy lines. The mission has gone sour and you are currently regrouping and reconsidering your plans.
“Cut Off From Main Army” : You were with one of the main armies, now you aren't. It's not looking good, but you've shown yourself to be good enough at surviving to make it this far. Perhaps not as useful, but allows a bit more diversity in character concepts.

If you think of other excuses to be in the area, feel free to go with them. If they're good enough, I might even give you an aspect for them.

These aspects can be used to justify FATE point spending, like any other aspect. They may or may not change depending on the situation.

So yeah character creation is officially open, good night WWN XD

EDIT:

Equipment
If you noticed, I didn't mention anything about equipment. The reason is, I don't really care. You may or may not be wealthy, but this is the battlefield, so chances are most of your belongings are Somewhere Else. That said, things we can assume everyone might have:

- A gun. Machine Gun if you are a MAN, maybe a pistol if you are a CO. Maybe both!
- Pick 1: grenades (like, 3 or so) , nightvision goggles, a giant wrench, basically what I'm saying is that you can start with a niche item too if you want.
- If you have a stunt like Sniper Specialty, Heavy Weapons Specialty, etc, you can start with a weapon of that specialty.
- Quite a bit of ammo, not infinite but enough to last a few heated firefights. You don't have to track the exact numbers, but I might create a Situation Aspect "Low Ammo" if you go too crazy with it.
- If you are a CO, you could start with a radio that allows you to communicate with the rest of the army, though right now you're in a dead zone and there's quite a bit of static.
- If you want to start with something particularly crazy like your own B-Copter, you need to spend a stunt on it
- Rations for a few weeks.

You don't have to list this out (if you don't want to). It's just something to consider.

You'll also be in contact with a handful of other soldiers, who will have more guns, conventional ammo, bazookas (well the mechs will :D), and a few Recon vehicles.

A couple more examples of stunts
This might give you an idea on ways to use stunts.

Sniper Training: You know how to use a Sniper Rifle. Don't suffer a penalty for using these untrained.
Heavy Vehicle Training: Tanks, Artillery, etc[/b]: Pick one. You know how to "drive" that vehicle. Don't suffer a penalty for using these untrained. (Note: Recons, APCs, and T-Copters are simple enough that basic Drive and Flight skills would be enough to use them. You can still specialize in their use, though.)
Body Armor: You were set up with easily worn body armor that can take a few hits. Significantly reduces the severity of consequences of getting hit in a Firefight.
CO Aura: [Insert Unit Here] benefits from your expertise. Allows you to use Command to create situational aspects when units of X type are nearby and can be communicated with. (for example, you could make a Command check to give all nearby Mechs a bonus if that was your thing, which would result in a nice situational aspect you could then use to play FATE points for bonuses).
CO Power: This is where you can really go crazy and I simply can't offer any guidelines. These should have a very specific short term effect with a wide battlefield-level range, and you definitely want these to cost a FATE point to use.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Pkdragon

Re: AW FATE: Characters

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:57 pm

SKILL LIST

So yeah. Pick 4 from this list to be Average at (+1), 3 to be Fair at (+2), and so on. I used the FATE skill list as a base, but removed a few and added some for a more AW flavor.

Physique: Ability to deal with physical pressure, also represents raw strength.
Will: Ability to survive under mental pressure, general mental fortitude.

Fight: Melee fighting ability. Ability to fight with fists, or even weapons like knives.
Shoot: Ability to wield and fire conventional ranged weapons. Think Sami.
Atheletics: Ability to run, and more importantly, to Dodge. I recommend this one.

Drive: Ability to drive vehicles, wheeled and treaded. If you want to specialize, use a stunt.
Flight: Ability to pilot helicopters and other flying vehicles.
Command: Ability to issue commands to soldiers without question. Most COs would have this one.
Repair: Ability to perform maintenence on vehicles and machinery. Think Andy.
Medical: Knowledge of diseases and medicine, and ability to treat injuries.

Rapport: Ability to get along with others, even those you just met. Can also be used for Diplomacy.
Decieve: Ability to bluff, disguise yourself, and otherwise manipulate others.
Provoke: Ability to be a jerk, get people pissed off, and intimidate others into following you.

Stealth: Ability to sneak around and not get caught.
Sleight of Hand: Ability to steal, pickpocket, lockpick, and disarm traps.
Notice: Ability to... notice things and not get ambushed.
Empathy: Ability to understand others. Can be used to detect lies.
Lore: General knowledge and education. Used to figure things out about obscure topics.

So ultimately you will pick 10 skills out of that list of 16. You won't be good at everything, but you can be good at a lot. Use stunts if the skill list alone isn't enough to fully define your character.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:28 pm

I saw you game of thrones reference, will now read the rest.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Character Sheet:
Name: Nobody knows except himself, people call him the "Lad" to make up for this and that's what he goes by.

Aspects:
-A silent young lad that brings a dark atmosphere with him wherever he goes.
-He saw his parents and siblings killed during the war while they were fleeing from Black Hole's forces, leaving him as an empty hate driven being with nothing to live for.
-He is a Black Hole refugee, although nobody knows that he comes from their lands and why his family were forced to leave them.
-While on the run he learned to survive and fend for himself, this hardened him.

Skills:
Deceive: +4
Lore: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
Provoke: +2
Will: +2
Stealth: +2
Athletics: +1
Shoot: +1
Notice: +1
Physique: +1

Stunts
Stunt 1: The Lad is capable of drawing himself into his mind to cope with heavy mental strain. This was his way of coping with the loss of his family.
Stunt 2: While the Lad had to survive for himself he soon discovered it was easy to deceive adults as they underestimated and took no notice of him as he was still a child.
Stunt 3: Open, will see how I develop for this.

Extras
The Lads name is actually Ruben von Bolt, his father had served amongst the higher ranks of Black Hole's command. When the war broke out his father conscious got the better of him so he started leaking plans and information to the other nations, he was caught however. He still remembers the night clearly, the night his dad came in and told them they had to leave immediately. Though whereto was never mentioned. They grabbed a few of their belonging and fled to a nearby forest, it was however too late. A group of commandoes were sent after them and they were caught besides a river, here they were one by one shot. Ruben had managed to climb a tree and avoid the slaughter, however he mentally snapped because of the events.
A few years later he had become a ruthless shell, he had no feelings or emotions besides hate and his hunger for revenge. When he had heard of the group to be sent behind black hole's lines he took his opportunity. It however did take a little... convincing with a blade... to allow him to join however.

Ruben von Bolt is usually silent, and doesn't speak of his past. His name is also unknown. People tend to avoid him as he is known to agitate others quickly and manipulate them. There are also signs he is a smart kid, yet he only uses his mind for deceit these days.

Wait, wait, wait.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Name: BIttman "the Great"

Aspects:
High Concept: A man who values chivalry and honor above all else.
Trouble: Will not retreat or undertake other 'cowardly' actions.
Nationality: Served under Javier as an infantry captain.
Background Aspect: Earned his nickname "The Great" by completing the capture of enemy headquarters during a rocket barrage despite heavy unit casualties.
Free Aspects: Part of An Elite Commando Squad.

Skills:

Physique 2
Will 4
Fight 1
Shoot 2
Athletics 3
Drive 1
Command 3
Rapport 2
Notice 1
Empathy 1

Stunts:
-Rumor has it that he ordered the rest of his unit to take shelter while he took the full brunt of Von Bolt's Ex Machina.
-To be discussed.

Extras:
To be discussed.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 pm

laughingelfman.gif

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm in. Let me introduce you to my character.

Character Sheet:
Name: Karano Gosen

Aspects:
High Concept: An emotionless child soldier.
Trouble: Paranoid. Has problems trusting anybody and obeying orders. Blatant disregard for teammates' lives. Doesn't understand the concept of 'mental strength' that doesn't involve him being laser-guided on his own choices. Envy for his brothers' fortune; once the invaders are out, he will forcibly take what's his part of the family enterprise.
Nationality: Yellow Comet, somewhat unofficially.
Background Aspect: Trained secretly as a soldier since age 6 by his family. He highly resents the rest of his family for not letting him have access to education like his brothers. He was a paramilitary mercenary whose unit got services bought by Yellow Comet. He was attached to his best friend Fuuko, a non-military, but the one time he was sent alone, he would turn out to not be able to go back home as he planned...
Free Aspect: Cut Off From The Main Army

Skills:
+4:
- Shoot: Karano has been trained since his young age to wield firearms. His physical strength is far better than would be expected for a young soldier.
+3:
- Fight: Karano has received combat training as the core of his education since preschool age. He is also able to wield a variety of melee weapons.
- Athletics: His intense training made Karano very athletic.
+2:
- Physique: Since he trained as a soldier from a very young age, Karano has developed superior physical strength.
- Notice: Karano's paranoia urges him to take awareness of his surroundings at all times. However, since he is constantly stressed, it doesn't always work for him and he sometimes sees danger where it is not, causing him to fail at seeing the real danger.
- Repair: Karano has been trained on the battlefield and has had to repair vehicles more than once as training.
+1:
- Provoke: Karano's blunt nature, cold heart, and selfishness makes him a natural at looking bad.
- Lore: From eavesdropping and chatting with his non-soldier friend Fuuko, Karano learned a few things that aren't battlefield-related.
- Command: While Karano disregards the value of life, he still sees soldiers as assets that cannot be lost purposelessly and is able to plan heartlessly and efficiently.
- Stealth: While primarily a soldier at heart, Karano had a little training at infiltration. Though he's far better at fighting out of sticky situations, he can also escape losing fights.

Stunts:
Stunt 1: Heavy Firearm wielding: "Since he's been trained in wielding heavy weaponry, Karano can use bazookas, gatlings or other heavy weaponry with the greatest of ease." He doesn't suffer penalties from using heavy firearms untrained, because he's trained.
Stunt 2: Sword Fighting: "Karano carries a sword with him, and was extensively trained in its use, allowing him to easily subdue foes without guns." Once again, he does not suffer penalties from using swords untrained, because he's trained.
Stunt 3: CO Power Prototype: "Karano didn't complete CO training quite yet but has developed a little equivalent to CO Powers, in using his energy to distort a wide area in front of him, causing pain to anyone but him upon using it. The lingering distortion lasts a while and allows him to run faster while the enemies suffer from reduced speed. Since this can only be unlocked the same way as a CO Power, Karano needs to feel the weight of losses on his side and would need a few injured or dead allies to use it. Since he isn't close to people, this rarely shows." It costs 6 FATE points to use it.

Extras:
Born as the last kid of his family, Karano Gosen was the butt of the jokes and subjected to the harshest training by his father. As his training was far more military-oriented, his brother got to enjoy culture and corporate management studies. At age 9, Karano attempted to brutalize his two brothers, but was subdued and calmed down. His reward would be to have a friend to help calm his frustrations, to heal his pained soul. Thus young schoolboys were offered a chance to see Karano once per day. Eventually, a boy named Fuuko was the one who managed to make a friend out of Karano. So Karano would enjoy talking with his friend after rough days of training. Five years later, his brothers were called to offer their paramilitary for the defense of Yellow Comet. Thus they sent their entire unit, including Karano, to the frontlines. Karano sees going behind enemy lines as an opportunity that will be dealt with shortly... but he couldn't be more wrong.

His power causing a black-hole-like distortion is a hint to him having links to the old Black Hole, more specifically his family link with Koal.
Last edited by Airnike on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:51 am

welcome EmoLad, Bittman the Great, and Kareno Gosen. Welcome to the game.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:42 am

Character Sheet
Name: 'Uncle' Boris

Aspects
-High Concept: Former investment banker, now a Blue Moon diplomat and trusted advisor of both Colin and Sasha. They refer to him as 'Uncle'.
-Trouble: Generally hated by the Blue Moon populace for his taxes to fund the army (the 10% Sasha tax was particularly harsh). Generally disliked by everyone else for his capitalist ethics.
-Nationality: Blue Moon
- Background Aspect: Often referred to as "the man behind Colin's and Sasha's financial success". Resembles Olaf in terms of girth, but are polar opposites on the political spectrum.
-Free Aspects: Cut off from the main army in a suprise attack. Awaiting rescue from a surrounded BM bunker.

Skills
Provoke +4
Deceive +3
Rapport +3 (diplomacy)
Command +2
Empathy +2
Lore +2
Will +1
Notice +1
Physique +1
Drive +1

Stunts
Mercenaries [needs further ironing out]: Boris hired a bunch of goons to do battle in his stead. Boris has to make a Command check every so often during combat in order to keep them in line.
Filthy rich: Boris' past in both the banking world as well as his position alongside Colin and Sasha left him with an arbitrarily large bank account. +2 to Decieve or Rapport checks when money is involved.
Contacts: Over time, Boris has built up an extensive network of useful influential people, both in the financial sector and the upper class military. He can occasionally call upon favors from them, and get a +2 on rapport checks in places and situations where that contact has influence.

Extras
Description/Bio/Anything Else: See Aspects. Rest TBD

e: woops, accidentally picked Lore twice there. Changed it to Drive, but I really want to stress that Boris is not a soldier but a politician and has very little in terms of combat skills.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 am

If I were the GM I'd ask half of you to scrap and reroll your characters

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:53 am

;)

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:02 am

I wonder how many emotionless soldiers with a troubled past we are going to see
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:26 am

I'm actually planning a empathy-specialist(ever since I saw the skills). That's going to be a blast if half the players are focusing on being compulsive liars. >_>

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:32 am

Narts wrote:...

If I were the GM I'd ask half of you to scrap and reroll your characters
im a nice guy

and a bad gm

and most importantly i think the interactions between the characters we've seen so far will be quite amusing. the tone of this game is obviously not super serious, so even someone like XXXemoLadXXX will have their place

Sven

Post by Sven » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:24 pm

HPD wrote:I wonder how many emotionless soldiers with a troubled past we are going to see
excuse me

i am bittmanthegreat

i have heard you are a very mighty warrior hpd

i too am a very mighty warrior

and as we all know

a mighty warrior doesn't cry

this rp gonna be great

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: Stunts

As I thought, people seem to be having a hard time with these, so I'm going to post some examples from the book. While you should be able to get the "jist" of them, some of them use lingo I haven't explained / rules I've plain omitted for ease of forum gameplay, so I'll translate in some cases:
Hidden Text
Nose for Trouble: I'm not going to be using Turn Order, really. That said, this will allow you to easily justify acting swiftly in the situations it describes.

Psychologist: Healing consequences (of the mental variety, it is implied) is a very good thing. Consequences are bad things that can be abused by the enemies.
Sprinter: What "zones" mean will become obvious the first time I post a combat map, (should I post one). This effectively doubles your movement in combat situations.

Dazing Counter: When you dodge really well, you can counterattack with a Daze attack. This is a very good thing.

Strength from Determination: "Overcome" rolls are FATE shorthand for "rolls against things that aren't enemies". So you can't use this against enemies, but you can use it in other situations you might need Strength.

Hard Boiled: Consequences are penalties that you guys will accrue, and this lets you ignore them, which is VERY nice. You have a broken leg? You can force yourself to run despite that. But you'll hurt yourself in the long run.

Best Foot Forward: Basically, instead of creating short term boosts with rapport, you create a somewhat longer term positive situation... and then you can use that situation as if it was an aspect, without spending a FATE point, to get a boost to an action based on that positive situation.

Popular: The "Contacts" it refers to doesn't exist because you're behind enemy lines and I felt it was too obscure to bait you guys into taking a skill in it. If you want Contacts, this would be a way to get it. You could create a similar Stunt for

Should be fairly self explanatory. Provoke Violence uses a lot of "game-y" words, but it's basically a taunt.

Mind Games is pretty huge because that's a way to attack people's mental state to the point they actually start taking damage. Otherwise, these should be self explanatory.
(^^^ cool stuff in spoiler ^^^)

If anyone else wants any specific skill's stunts posted and explained, I will do the same for that skill on a request basis. "Command" and "Flight" aren't actually skills in core FATE, I made them up because come on, AW, so there's no stunts for those skills by default. As always, feel free to make up your own. Also, feel free to change stunts around, or even your skills around, if you see a stunt that you really want.

So far, the stunts that have been posted have been very fine. Heavy Weapons Specialty is a perfect example of a stunt, btw, because trying to use complex weapons without training in them would give you a penalty, and by spending a stunt Airnike's character can use those things without much difficulty. Bittman's first stunt is a bit vague, try to be a bit more concrete about what that means. If you mean he can take CO Powers like a boss, that is actually a fantastic stunt (I'd say that it allows you to roll Will to defend against enemy CO Powers), just be a bit more specific about it.

I will pm people my interpretations of the mechanical benefit of their stunts, if they have any mechanical benefits (sometimes awesome flavor justification is a benefit in itself). So, don't worry too much about the mechanical angle, focus on flavor.

Also, in the opening post, I added a few notes about starting equipment, and some more examples of stunts. Hopefully this helps get some inspiration flowing.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:51 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT

I will be available on the WWN IRC channel at about 7:00 PM UTC (1:00 PM mountain time, in case I messed up the conversion!) I should be around there for about 2, maybe 3 hours. You might catch me other times, you might not. I will be available to answer questions, because I'm sure you have them, and help with stunts/aspects if you need the help. If I don't respond immediately, make sure you say my name in the chat, and then wait 10-20 minutes. I will check the tab eventually. If you can't make this time and have serious questions, feel free to send me any questions through PM, or we can try to schedule a time to talk about it)

If I'm not there it means I forgot and the alarm I just set didn't work, and I will set another time and figure out a better method of reminding myself XD.

EDIT: oh one last thing

if you wish, provide me with an image of your character. this is purely optional, if you don't want to do this i will grab AW sprites or something. this is just for the sake of mapping out the battlefields, so i can have your character avatars if we need visual aids

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:59 am

<Jugger>: HPD: Firefighter Tasha Thomson-Sachs reporting for duty! Hit: Mechs : Miss: Western Civilization
<Jugger>: HPD: My CO Power is Beneficial Interference! It is 2 stars!
<Jugger>: HPD: My Super CO Power is Direct Pulse! It is 10 stars!

<Jugger>: HPD: Art Director Kaede Tolansky reporting for duty! Hit: Movies : Miss: Monkeys
<Jugger>: HPD: My CO Power is Global Hordes! It is 5 stars!
<Jugger>: HPD: My Super CO Power is Old-School Doomsday Fist! It is 7 stars!

<Jugger>: pk: Diabolic Resource Specialist Bertram Traiman reporting for duty! Hit: Causality : Miss: Fuzzy slippers
<Jugger>: pk: My CO Power is Demonic Counter! It is 5 stars!
<Jugger>: pk: My Super CO Power is **** of Chaos! It is 5 stars!

<Jugger>: Satel: Painter Akira Kramer reporting for duty! Hit: Rocket science : Miss: Spaghetti bolognese
<Jugger>: Satel: My CO Power is Worthless Ensnarement! It is 2 stars!
<Jugger>: Satel: My Super CO Power is Shoot and Kill! It is 10 stars!

<Jugger>: Satel: Systems Analyst Felix Ling reporting for duty! Hit: Bread products : Miss: Exponential growth
<Jugger>: Satel: My CO Power is Ninja's Matching Missile! It is 3 stars!
<Jugger>: Satel: My Super CO Power is Multiply and Destroy! It is 7 stars!

<Jugger>: HPD: Local Store Marketing Specialist Yuanti Hayashi-Kubota reporting for duty! Hit: Chocolate : Miss: Wars World News
<Jugger>: HPD: My CO Power is Dive the Transfer! It is 5 stars!
<Jugger>: HPD: My Super CO Power is Bitter Knowledge! It is 8 stars!

friends, meet your npcs

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:36 am

xxEmoLadxx: The Slaughter Part 1
It was just like any other day. The sun once again warred against the clouds for dominance, yet again without success. The men left their homes and families to work another day, keeping the war machine running, motivated by the thought of when they returned, there would be smiling faces to greet them. Either that or drink, it was not uncommon to find one drowning their fears and pains in a sea of poison.
At least it made them happy.
As for me, I was doing what I did every other Saturday. I was sitting on my floor, next to my bed, playing with some stupid war figurines. When your young war always seems like a game, fun, exciting, a place where men go for glory and honour. It makes me laugh how different those childhood views are to reality. Those were the days when the war hadn't yet touched my life and left it's searing scars. The ones were I would re-enact heroic battles with small plastic things that were meant to represent soldiers, I would always get bored eventually. Then I would sit by the window and watch the world go by.
That day it had been gloomy, a clouded sky smothering the sun which tried desperately to get its light to world below. At least it hadn't been raining. I would sit, and wait for that old black car to pull up into our driveway, to stop, and open its doors to release the man who was my father. He was a man who inspired my small youthful heart, there was nothing more that I wanted to be than my daddy. It's a good thing I didn't become like him, otherwise I'd be lying somewhere in a forest rotting. While the wild beasts took the flesh from my bones to fill their hungry stomaches. He didn't deserve to die. But he did.
It was this one day, were I heard the car pulling up onto our driveway earlier than it usually would. I couldn't yet tell time, however I knew in my stupid little brain that daddy didn't come home shortly after lunch. Not that it bothered me, what in this world did I have to fear?
It was only when the door opened, and I heard the shouting coming from the hallway a floor below that I knew something was wrong. Daddy never shouts, not even when he's angry. However that wasn't enough to disturb me from my game, whatever was happening it was daddy's business. It quickly became mine, as when my father walked up the steps and opened my rooms door he told me:
"Ruben, put down your toys. We're going out so go fetch your coat, bring babbit as well. He'd like that."
His voice was calm and soothing, and I did as I was told. I put on my shoes and got my favourite coat; the brown one with a giant orange monkey on the back. I also got babbit from my bed, I had had this toy rabbit since birth, and we went everywhere together. Mama waa crying in the kitchen, she was stuffing some stuff into a bag while telling Elena to get her coat on. Then we were shepherded out and we lead to the woods besides our street. I loved the woods, they were full of adventure and surprise. Being there calmed me, however it didn't calm daddy who rushed us through the woods. We were gone for about an hour and then my weak young bladder had to empty itself. Daddy brought me to a tree and told me to wee on the leaves there. I was also told to "be quick" about it. He walked back to mama and my other three sisters, as I stood there and released my waters to the earth which absorbed it gratefully. That was when the first shot was loosed.
A sharp loud bang and then a scream, it sounded young and feminine so I know it was one of my sisters. Which one I'll never know however. Then came the shouting and the black men which where running to where my daddy had went. I climbed up a tree to see what was happening, probably the most stupid decision I've ever made. What I saw, broke my young mind. There was my mother and two sisters lying on the ground with gaping holes in their clothing, leaking a dark watery substance I knew could only be blood. Then came more shouts and more shots, and I caught a glimpse of daddy running towards a river that flowed nearby. The black men however wouldn't let him reach it, and they closed in on him like wolves ready to feast on their game. Lyla, my youngest sister lay limply in his arms and I could see that his eyes, those warm green eyes, were crying. The gods must hate me as before the black men shot him, daddy caught my gaze. His eyes opened wide and his mouth opened to say something. What though, I'll never know. One of the officers I knew as Jason sent his shotgun's shells through his brain before he could finish whatever he wished to voice. A pity.
That was when I snapped, and blacked out.

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:47 pm

PK, this seems like it'll be a lot of effort and I'd hate to sign up and be inactive.

Is it okay if I step down? Perhaps I can write some guest flavor :)
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:14 pm

It's fine. I'm realizing myself how much effort something like this takes to set up... and how little effort I have in me these days XD

Personally I don't think it'll be super-bad once it gets started, but inactivity will be killer so yeah, feel free to abstain.

But yeah, it is experimental. What I want to know, from those on the fence, is- would it be easier if I dropped the FATE setup entirely and it was just a standard text based RPG? I think it's made for interesting character creation, and I really do think there's benefits to the FATE style (simple and fair dice-roll style of conflict resolution in key moments, FATE points to allow your characters to go crazy in a fair and balanced manner) but I do understand if that might be a deal breaker.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:52 pm

I would prefer playing with FATE stats, so I can use that as a guideline what I can/can't do.

I also really need to get around to writing up a bio.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:11 am

i'm in no rush, but do we have a set day to start? let's say beginning of august?

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:19 pm

yooo how do skills work in this game? is MATH involved or the checks are just "roll equal to or greater than X to succeed" with difficulties like easy-hard?

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:39 pm

According to the setup thread, it sounds like the latter.

Sometimes I wonder why game developers pile on complexity when the result benefits little from it.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:04 am

The latter.

Occasionally you'll fight ENEMIES who will also roll and you'll try to beat their role. But that's it.

The only math involved is basic addition. Of very small numbers.

Also, sorry sven i swore i answered- I don't have a set day to start. Honestly beginning of August is later than I was thinking, but actually does work pretty well, gives me another week or so to prepare. Anyone that needs to start earlier than that?

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:40 am

No. I'm in no hurry.

Nor is my Marty Stu wannabe prototype (if I trust HPD's words). To reassure everyone, I'm very well aware that my character isn't cool by my current definition of the word. His past doesn't matter and he's like one of your guys: a man with a gun and an objective -- or something.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:50 am

Name
Frontline Supply and Repair Drone 44050-TDY
Teddy for short

Aspects
Teddy is an Infantry Drone brought under Allied command by the Black Hole rebels. It is typically tasked with support duties which it carries out with mild contempt, but only because it was programmed that way. Incidentally, Teddy would rather be flying but has been programmed to be Very Bad at it. Maybe if it survives this next war through cunning, subterfuge, and staying behind other meatshields, that flight module will be installed, or so Teddy hopes. You may be wondering why a machine has dislikes and aspirations; in addition to being more adaptable than non-sentient machines, Lash finds them more fun to toy with. Currently part of a group separated from the main forces.

Skills
(+4): Repair
Being a support drone confers mechanical expertise which mostly means fixing someone else's mistakes.
(+3): Stealth / Sleight of Hand
Teddy is not so much espionage material as it is plain and unnoticeable, and looks like a Black Hole infantry.
(+2): Deceive / Notice / Provoke
In the unlikely event Teddy is ousted, its Misdirection and Self-Preservation protocols activate.
(+1): Physique / Will / Shoot / Athletics
Standard drones have capabilities on par with basic training.
(-3): Flight

Stunts
Normalize: (Action) reduce severity of tech challenges and consequences (costs 2 points for self, 1 for others)
When you're a machine who's good with machines, everyone thinks you're their personal tech assistant.
Engineer: (Passive) adds half of Repair for usage checks if object was repaired by Teddy
Instructions are for the unattentive, the unimaginative, and humans.
Decode: (Passive) substitute Notice for Empathy checks
This will probably be useful somewhere eventually.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:00 pm

that is amazing

i am 100% down with Teddy joining the group

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:48 pm

yessss

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:15 am

I am going to retract from playing. I feel like I need some time off to take a vacation from here.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:34 am

Aww, who will use a CO Power to save everyone from the brink of destruction?

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:55 pm

One of my self-made rules before using it was that 3 people needed to be dead to use it anyway, otherwise this would be plotkai. Also, if you're not playing as someone who can save their own behind when in a pinch, why are you playing?

AFAIK, I'm quitting because I know when to fold and I will probably be more detrimental to the experience than anything else.

Have fun.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:54 am

That's a shame. =/ I understand though. If you need a break, you need a break.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:57 am

after seeing an actual good character I think I'm rerolling mine

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:28 am

You could just polish it. Maybe focus on the Stunts so you have a nice complement of role-specific perks that help you and/or the group. A speech class might feature buffs and debuffs, focused on self as a politician. Some of the example stunts can give you an idea, plus any RPG experience you had before.

Not sure how useful the social skills will be, however, unless the enemies and obstacles are not purely Black Hole. Maybe a certain botanical CO has developed frenzy pheromones?

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:49 am

melanthe created only to be the main antagonist of a forum rpg years later

i'm sure deoxy will be thrilled if she sees this lmao.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:42 am

Well, the social skills may be a bit less common than normal combat, but they will certainly have their moments, if only because I will try to make all the skills relevant in some way.

Of course, someone like Boris is going to have a tougher time, due to being a fish out of water with no combat skills. On the other hand, he has a trick for any social situation they find themselves in, so if there's a way to avoid combat through social graces, he's the most likely to find it. He's somewhat decent at driving, so perhaps in combat that he is not equipped to deal with, he could make use of the vehicles you find (again, you'll start with access to a Recon, though there's inevitably a catch) to do... something.

I don't intend to ever really force combat, except probably an early "tutorial" type fight. I mean, Combat may be "forced" based on actions and lack of "Notice" scores, for example. But in a lot of situations you should be able to maneuver around combat if you have the skills to do so.

Anyway, my point is- if you want the easiest game, it's best to grab something like Fight, Shoot, Physique, Atheletics, etc. That way you are prepared when the worst happens. But clever planning, the right stunts, and situational awareness will get you pretty far, if I do my job right.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:45 am

BITTMAN THE GREAT DOES NOT RUN FROM COMBAT

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:00 am

alternatively, let bittman the great handle it