AW Fate: The Game (Part 1: Blue Moon Defense)

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

Re: AW Fate: The Game (Part 1: Blue Moon Defense)

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:43 am

Alright, my three paranoid friends, nothing happens to you as you march down into the valley. There is no ambush, at least none that you are able to find! Vasil's approach is quiet enough, but the loud plodding of Bittman's boots alerts the soldiers below. They have the look of fear on their faces for a moment, before they notice the uniform of the one making the most noise. Eyes widen in recognition at the hero before them.

"Oh my god, it's Bittman the Great! Amazing! I heard his war room scores were only matched by the great Fogel!" one young and impressionable infantry squealed.

"I hear he's beaten Javier himself," said another.

The de-facto leader of the infantry was a young man who had clearly been given a task beyond his training and experience (yet had somehow managed to keep his charges alive this long, so perhaps there was some degree of worth to him). He had been trying to figure out their next move, hair covered in sweat despite the cold, when he saw the visitors to his camp, and his eyes lit up: Finally, someone with a higher rank than him!

"Sir! I did not expect to encounter you here, Sir Bittman the Great! I am Corporal Ryan Lewis, ranking officer here. If...If I may ask, what are you doing here, in this place? And who are these men with you?", he asked, taking a particularly long look at Vasil.

- - -

So, a few things to consider in the next few posts:

How much information to share with the infantry
Your next course of actions
What to do with the recon
Interactions with Teddy!

You may put words into this guy's mouth, tbqh I was figuring Boris would be the leader of the group, so this poor obviously-created-on-the-spot guy gets to take the reins. Just remember, he's young, inexperienced, and this is probably his first mission where he's had any real authority- but he has some pride in the fact that he's kept his men alive as long as he has.

I will give you the results of your lore check this evening, Summer. Sorry for the delay. I'll also throw an introduction your way ASAP, ML, though as I said in a PM, it's going to be a bit before you meet the rest of the group. Maybe you'll encounter Boris along the way.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:29 am

To Bittman's eyes the corporal had the situation well under control. Of course, Bittman's superhuman will often warped his view of such things.

"Salutations, corporal! It is a pleasure to be recognized in this fair land. To speak of my comrade, he is known as Vasil. I recommend you hear what he has to say, I suspect it will be news most welcome!"

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:44 am

Code: Select all

Log-0201-E
0930 hours

Situation: unknown entities approaching
Scanning...
Scan complete: not hostile, not in need of immediate assistance

Observation: Infantry have moved to greet newcomers.
Observation: This may be a good time to retry repair operations.
Game log:
Teddy is with the stranded group. (3/3/3 normal)
Teddy re-attempts recon repairs while the humans interact. (Roll 10, Skill 4)
Remaining rolls: 1, 3-9

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:28 pm

first 10 is on the table! will it be enough?
====================================

The trio arrived at the makeshift allied camp unhindered. Summer thought for sure there would've been an enemy attack by now- they weren't exactly subtle about their arrival. Still, so far, so good. The camp was situated in a recessed area within the valley, obscured from the sky by dense tree cover but observable from the ground, at least during the day. It had some defensible positions but there were better places to conduct combat. The highest ranking infantry on hand stepped forward to greet them, eagerly followed by his compatriots. They seemed to be mostly Blue Moon grunts and, judging from their low morale, had been cut off from a larger force.

"Aren't you Bittman the Great?" ... "I heard his war room scores were only matched by the great Fogel!" ... "They say he once took a stronghold in the mountains which was then attacked by bears but he had no ammo left so he fought them hand to hand!" The Green Earth soldier's reputation preceded him as he was immediately recognized and hailed for his past achievements. Summer was still unsure he could take the enemy base by himself, however, especially if he was dragging someone along in one arm. She wondered who Fogel was and thought about asking someone about him or her during downtime later.

The formalities were mostly uninteresting to the corporal, apart from noting the highest ranked man was also a corporal, so Summer leaned against a high stump while they were going on. Vasil probably knew the best course of action to take next, being from the area, but he seemed to be waiting his turn. Summer hoped to trade one of her meat-flavored rations for something else, maybe some chocolate. CO Sami, whose command Summer spent a good amount of time under, enjoyed chocolate and often ordered some for her troops. She didn't seem to share this fact with her fellow COs, however.

Summer thought she saw what looked like a Black Hole infantry drone from afar, one those turncoats brought with them, but there was no sign of it now. There was, however, a recon propped up on some rocks beneath a tarp hanging loosely on some branches. There seemed to be someone working on it but they were hidden from view.

==========================

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1, 2, 7-10
Bittman: 3/4/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 4-10
Vasil: 3/4/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1, 7-10

actions!
idling

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Vasil took one look at the rag tag group of infantrymen in tattered uniforms with shaken faces huddling around the broken recon vehicle. He had expected a larger group. However, now things started making sense to him. A look of alarm was slowly creeping onto his usually composed face. He took Bittman to the side and spoke to him.

"I can see the Black Hole attack has made good work of your group. I hope that this is not all that is left of the AN force. However, we can't stay here for long. The BH communications chatter that we intercepted suggests the enemy knows there is a Blue Moon unit separated from the main force that managed to slip through their grasp. We don't want to be here when the cleanup crew arrives."

"We should make an inventory of our supplies and count the survivors, then move on. I'm no car mechanic but the damage looks bad to me. I fear we may have to scuttle the vehicle."

"Going back towards the south is probably a no-go. Black Hole must be blocking the way to keep us separated from the main army. They have a relatively lightly guarded supply depot nearby to the west. We may have to raid it if we don't have enough to survive for days. I'm particularly worried of food and ammo. But you're the highest rank around and it's your call. The men are waiting for your decision."
Last edited by Narts on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Shouldn't I have 4 Mental Strength as I have +2 will?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:32 pm

You start with 2 Mental Health, then you get +1 for having 1 or 2 will, or +2 for having 3 or 4 will. The bonuses don't stack. So you can have a maximum of 4 Mental Health. That's why most people only have 3 in their healths. I apologize if that was unclear.

Going to sleep now, will post an update tomorrow.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:36 pm

hey ML maybe ask for a respec since you haven't started yet, if you want!
=============

Once introductions were over, Vasil took Bittman aside. The infantry who greeted them were still talking amongst themselves about chivalry and heroic feats which was a little better than their previous condition. Summer noticed Vasil's grave expression though she was unable to hear what he was saying. Given the circumstances, she knew they would have to move, and soon. When they were done talking, she addressed them. "Capn', I'll take stock of the camp here, see if there's any injured, what supplies can be moved by foot, and all that kind of stuff."

Some of the infantry hung back from the greeting party. A pair were from Orange Star, one of them looked worse off than the rest. "It's over, man! Game over!" His counterpart tried in vain to reassure him, "Don't worry! We've just advanced too quickly! The rest of the army will be here soon!" The surrounding men were listening in on the conversation and looked similarly disheartened. Summer thought to intervene, "It can't be game over, we just started! Are you two OS?" The more composed soldier responded, "Yes ma'am. Are you? Hard to tell with your pilot suit." Summer forgot how her suit looked indeterminate compared to the standard uniforms, "Oh, yeah. Good eye. Corporal Summer. No 's' just like the season. You might'a seen me flying overhead earlier. I, uh, had to make a pitstop. Heh."

The more panicked soldier was unamused, "See? Even our air units are having trouble! We're doomed!" Now Summer was unamused. "Are you injured, pal?" He paused, then flashed a look of embarassment. "Well... no..." She hopped on the chance. "Good! You can help someone who DOES happen to be injured. Listen, I know things look grim right now. I'd be lying if I said they weren't. But! I need you to stop worrying and focus. When you start worrying, you open yourself to up weakness. The enemy goes after weak-looking troops first! Didn't they teach you that in basic?" The worried man looked a little better, if only to hide being called out. "Can we... be mildly concerned, instead?" Summer made sure she looked a little annoyed, then cracked a wry smile, "Tell you what, you let me and the other rankers be concerned, you just concentrate on your orders and not getting shot." The group's reaction was hard to read but Summer hoped she encouraged them somewhat.

Summer resumed her rounds. The group numbered about 25 in total, mostly Blue Moon followed by Orange Star. Green Earth and Yellow Comet personnel numbered the least but there didn't seem to be any communication problems, so that was good. They were all part of infantry or light armor units and had been cut off from the main attack force. Each soldier had a firearm and enough ammo for two or so engagements but food was low. Summer gave a ration to a trio of very hungry-looking comrades huddled in a small rut. The corporal also observed a few soldiers who might be injured. If time allowed and supplies were on hand, she could use her first-aid knowledge to help them.

============

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1, 2, 8, 10

actions!
try to raise morale! (roll 9 + rapport 0)
look for wounded, notable supplies, etc. (roll 7 + notice 4)
ImageImage
"wounded" would be guys who can't fight and so we shouldn't make them because they'll probbly die!
"notable supplies" would be medkits, explosives, basically cool but consumable stuff!

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:21 am

"Are you suggesting we run from combat? That sounds like retreating!"

Bittman would not be swayed from his original mission.

"Friend Vasil, I have gotten you to my allied comrades. With this done, I must retrieve the lady and continue onward with my own orders."

Bittman goes through the camp searching for Summer.

"It is time for us to continue onwards. To victory!"

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:56 am

Someone is writing a book.

How are party arguments handled? Command check? Or are parties free to split up?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:05 am

Ideally the party should avoid splitting up if at all possible. It's basic role playing, because not only do things become much more lethal when the party is split, it's also much more work. That said, it's certainly a possibility and option, and the FATE system can handle it better than some. I was hoping the threat of being deep in black hole controlled territory with problems on all sides would help keep it from happening, but what happens happens.

Command checks vs Will could be a mechanical/ in character way to resolve these arguments, though in this particular case it wouldn't be too terribly effective because Bittman has particularly high Will. Another way it to contact each other out of character and discuss what it would take to work together, that is a perfectly valid thing to do in a situation like this.

And yes, if ML or even anyone else wishes to lower or raise Will (or Physique!) now knowing how it works, feel free to. I'll be a bit more stern with switching stats once we get into combat, but right now I don't mind.

Post coming.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 am

A sound shocked everyone- somehow, the Recon's engine starts, despite the fact that no hope had seemed possible on making the repairs. The drone that had been working on the vehicle backs away.

"How did it do that!" one of the men said. "It shouldn't have been possible"

Between the fixing of the recon unit and Summer's attempts to cheer them up, the infantry looked revitalized. They were cheerful, but there was an undercurrent of edge to their cheer. They all knew they weren't out of the fire, but for a moment, just for a moment, thing were looking better.

Fully aware of the situation, and suddenly aware that Bittman the great had no plans to support them, Corporal Ryan Lewis closed his eyes. He gave himself a few moments to think, to prepare himself and make his decision.

"Men. Prepare yourselves to move out. We're going to hit the supply depot fast and hard, take whatever supplies, weapons, and vehicles we can, and then we're going to get ready for war. No more feeling sorry for ourselves!"

He then turned to Bittman. "Sir! I do not know what your orders are, but I believe that this deep into black hole territory they're extremely dangerous. I know you're a war hero, but we can't let you go alone. Please, accompany us on our attack on the supply depot, and we will do what we can in return. It's insane for us to split up in this situation!"

He spoke with conviction, not truly knowing if he was right or wrong.

UPDATE TO SITUATIONAL ASPECTS:

- Still Cold As fudge
- Stuck in BH-Occupied Blue Moon Territory
- Low Fuel and Ammo
- Temporary Morale Boost
- Recon is Fixed!

Meanwhile

The Lad lay, cloaked in the shadows of the room. His only companions was a large adult, who was still unconscious. He seemed to have a high rank in the Blue Moon organization. Their situation wasn't a good one. They had been captured, taken as prisoners of war- but for some reason they hadn't been taken to the camps on the war front. No, The Lad had been blindfolded so he wasn't sure where exactly he was, but it was far from the sounds of gunfire. Still, it was a prison he was in- a dark cold hole in the ground. It seemed to have once been an old wine cellar, before the Black Hole troops had repurposed it. He had been disarmed, stripped of his equipment, beaten when he'd tried to resist, and manacled to a wooden post. It wasn't comfortable. A similar treatment had been given to his other companion, who now seemed to be stirring..

((Yes, that's you HPD. Hopefully. I gave you and the Lad a simple, albeit potentially difficult to wiggle out of, scenario. Sorry though to Boris, you are momentarily divested of your mercenary bodyguards! It won't last long, I promise!))

(( As usual, I left the details vague- Boris may not have even been on the front lines, he may have been in the occupied Blue Moon settlements to begin with.))
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 am

Can I use a Fate point to cause Bittman to stumble and fall into that hole with Lad and Boris.

It's related to the aspect, uhh... Recon is Fixed!, I guess.

He got distracted by the sudden loud sounds behind him and wasn't looking ahead!

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:36 am

Such an offensively minded alternative was acceptable to Bittman.

"There is honour in your words. You act not out of obligation and duty, but of your own volition! I see the flames of courage burning bright within you! I cannot help but assist you in such a task. The hindquarters of Black Hole shall be righteously spanked."

The corporal looked incredibly relieved at such words.

"Summer! Vasil! We charge onwards, to battle!"

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 am

Log-202-E
1000 hours

Situation: recon repair successful

Announcement: Recon repair successful.
???: Gah!
???: BH inf! Freeze!
>run truce.exe
Reply: I am not hostile. I am here to assist.
Query: Who are you?
???: You first, BH scumbag!
Reply: "You first, BH scumbag" was not found in the ID database.
Retort: I do not answer to you.
???: Then I guess we're not going anywhere!

Internal Notes: I am being held at gunpoint by an unknown woman in a flight suit
Internal Notes: and the surrounding infantry are too dumbfounded to do anything
Internal Notes: and another unknown is shouting.
Internal Notes: Clearly my purpose is being fulfilled.
Game log:
Teddy completes (temporary) recon repairs.
Teddy meets Summer.

Remaining rolls: 1, 3-9

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:41 am

I'd like to use a fate point to make it so that most CO abilities/command abilities literally imbue their troops with superhuman fighting abilities. There's something weird that goes on when a unit changes command, and it's not just the efficiency of orders given. COP/SCOPs can turn commanders into literal gods on the battlefield, increasing the abilities of those around them to even greater heights.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:42 am

graaaaaghblargh it's too early for me to be writig rp postssssss
but I guess things are happening soooooo

======================

The corporal had finished surveying the camp and arrived at the recon last. She was about to see who was working on it when that distinctive booming voice cut through cold morning air. "Summer! Vasil! We charge onwards, to victory!" She groaned to herself and leaned against the vehicle. Just then, it shuddered and heaved as the ignition started. "Gah!" The person, or thing, working on it appeared, "Recon repair successful." Summer was mortified by the sight of it, a Black Hole infantry drone. She saw many of them lay waste to her home and helped waste many of them in return. On a reflex, she drew her pistol on it, "BH inf! Freeze!"

"Reply: I am not hostile. I am here to assist. Query: Who are you?" Its machine voice was grating. "You first, BH scumbag!" Its hands stained with oil and grease. "Reply: 'You first, BH scumbag!' was not found in the ID database. I do not answer to you." And its red eyes looked empty. "Then I guess we're not going anywhere!"

After a few tense seconds, the calmer OS soldier from earlier intervened. "Ah! Ma'am, that's just, ah, Teddy! It's a friendly drone assigned to one of our units!" Summer scoffed at the idea. "Yeah, right! I bet it's feeding intel to BH right now!" Teddy made no movement or sound at this accusation. It was unnerving to Summer but some of the infantry were amused at this confrontation. "What are you grinning about?!" Another infantryman spoke up, "Teddy's weird, sure, but he's harmless alright. He was with our unit since the operation started and he's a real whiz with repairs!" Summer wasn't buying it but she also realized by now that none of the stranded infantry objected to the drone's presence, or cared. "Tch! Well! I guess you should introduce yourself! And don't leave any details out!" Summer lowered her pistol but kept it at the ready.

============

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 2, 8, 10

actions!
provoke Teddy! for information! about stuff! (roll 1 + provoke 0)

pending actions!
get a feel for the area (roll 5 + Lore 0)
look for wounded, notable supplies, etc. (roll 7 + notice 4)

do indents not work on this forum? how are we gonna have dramatic dialogue without it??

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:18 pm

I assume the Flak card plus 0 in the skill does nothing, even if it is fitting. For reference, all those "reply," "observation," and other things are not actually spoken, based on the grand ten or so lines of dialogue drones have in the games.

Log-202-E (continued)

The woman looks annoyed.
???: Well! I guess you should introduce yourself!
???: And don't leave any details out!
Reply: I am a frontline supply and repair drone.
Reply: My serial code is 44050-TDY.
Reply: "Teddy" for short.

???: And how did you get here?
Reply: I am on loan to the Allied Nations
Reply: as part of ongoing reparation projects.
???: Uh-huh. Like they can't just make more of you?
Reply: Drones are made to be disposable
Reply: but are finite and non-renewable.
???: Good.
Reply: "Good." Response satisfactory.
???: ...
Reply: ...
Retort: Well. I guess you should introduce yourself.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:02 pm

The Lad looked around the room through his swollen eye, his captors hadn't held themselves in when they retaliated due to his attempt to break free from their grasp. He couldn't recall who had struck his left eye, however it had swelled up and forced his eye to remain in a semi-open state. There were also other pains, particularly his legs which sent up regular pulses of agony to his brain.
He has struggled against the ropes which constrained him against the wooden post, however they wouldn't give. After what felt like an hour he had given up, the ropes had cut into his wrists and he could feel what he assumed was blood running onto his hands. He simply didn't have the strength to break his shackles, nor could he loosen them it seemed. Whoever had done the job had done it well.
He spent the time trying to spot something of use, a hard task as there was barely any light and only one of his eyes was of any use. On his own it wouldn't be possible to escape his bonds, he would need someone else. Perhaps there were guards nearby which he could manipulate. If he could lure one to his cell there was a possibility he could provoke them into doing something they wouldn't usually do.
Alternatively he could abuse the fact his was from Black Hole. He knew the many a name of those with authority, if he was lucky he may recognise a few of his captors. If he could get them to believe he was on their side various options would be made available. Though he would have to tread carefully, as to not reveal his background which could lead to his death.

Then there was the figure slumped against the other post. He had been silent for a long while, yet the Lad noticed he was stirring. He had no idea who this adult was, though he recognised the features of a Blue Moon citizen. He had undergone the same beating he had went through, it too had left its marks. Perhaps this man will turn out useful, it wasn't worth considering for the time being however.

=============
The Lad
Physical Health: 3/3
Mental Health: 3/3
Fate Points: 3
Remaining Cards: 1-5, 7-10
Consequences:

Party
????

Actions
Notice wether there are any objects of use in the wine cellar and if there are nearby people outside of it. (Roll 6 + Notice 1)

Wait, wait, wait.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:59 am

uh this might be dumb of me

but reply is teddy talking

so what is retort?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:59 am

Spectator Hawke wrote:Retort is still Teddy talking, however the tone seems more aggressive than the reply function.
Last edited by hawkesnightmare on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:40 pm

I was thinking smug! munchkin characters are like that!

still waiting on those rolls before making a report to B and V!

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Apologies, there isn't going to be an update today

will do it tomorrow, cover responses to the fate points, respond to your rolls kiwi

sorry for the delay but uhhhh this is something that is going to happen every so often lol

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:08 am

So... first order of business: Our first two FATE points have been spent.
I'd like to use a fate point to make it so that most CO abilities/command abilities literally imbue their troops with superhuman fighting abilities. There's something weird that goes on when a unit changes command, and it's not just the efficiency of orders given. COP/SCOPs can turn commanders into literal gods on the battlefield, increasing the abilities of those around them to even greater heights.
Sven, I accept your Fate point use, and will certainly keep that in mind. I was honestly running under the assumption that this was the way thing worked but to a less obviously supernatural degree. I quote this post because I will be referring to this wording when it comes to how COPs are used!

Narts, sadly that hole is not in the current area and without a certain degree of reality warping Bittman would be hard pressed to fall in that hole at the moment. Nevertheless, I will accept your Fate point use and keep it as a pending story element :D

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:30 am

@ Summer: There aren't as many wounded as you might think. There's a few men who look like they are wearing bandages, a couple men who walk with slight limps, but almost everyone in the camp are able fighters. There are very few specialized supplies, other than a few rocket launchers of the sort that mechs carry, a few medkits- not enough by a long shot-, and some canned food in the back of the recon.

(Your provoke was a failure because teddy has positive will, lol. Normally Teddy would want to roll a Will check to resist that, but in this case it was such a minor attempt that I agree, it didn't need to be rolled. Eventually I'm going to write up some guidelines to iron out when exactly to use skills...).

@MLad: You can hear the occasional loud pacing of people on the floorboards above you, but no other sound of people makes it to you. As for in the room, there are quite a few wooden boxes, some old furniture, and some wine bottles resting on the boxes. Only a sliver of light comes from a small window, now boarded up. One of the boxes is just out of reach of your legs.

((Allright, so I'm going to move the scene forward tomorrow, so Teddy and Summer should finish up their conversation, and anything else people want to do before camp is broken.

I have a few questions, before we move on:

-How do you intend to travel? There's no way to get this group of infantry to move 100% stealthily, so do you intend to move as one group, or have an advanced guard / rearguard? Do you intend to have a scouting party? If so, who will be in those groups? Who is driving the recon, and is anyone using it's guns? If you want to make Notice and Stealth checks for the travel- and you should- you can make them now as well (just to keep things flowing)

))
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:56 pm

(Your provoke was a failure because teddy has positive will, lol. Normally Teddy would want to roll a Will check to resist that, but in this case it was such a minor attempt that I agree, it didn't need to be rolled. Eventually I'm going to write up some guidelines to iron out when exactly to use skills...).
You might want to make those rules not guidelines. That was a pretty obvious attempt at dumping a Flak on a pointless roll.

Anyway...

Vasil and Bittman listened to Summer's report and had a small, hurried chat about what to do.

It was good that they didn't have too many wounded to slow them down, and since the car had been fixed, they were not tied to traveling by foot only. However, since the vehicle could carry only around 6 men, 8-ish if tightly packed, it would not help them move faster. Since they had no heavy equipment that couldn't be carried by foot, Vasil still favoured leaving the car behind. Its engine sounds would have attracted too much attention.

25 men. A platoon. It was slightly more than Vasil had grown used to sneaking around with in his latter days (the rebels were not a very large outfit after all), but it was not nearly unheard of for a group of this size to move unnoticed in enemy territory. Infantry was trained to use foliage and shape of terrain to their advantage. If they stuck to the woods, they should have a pretty good chance of staying unseen, barring ambushes set along the way.

There were many standard platoon formations they could pick. Vasil was the opinion they were too big for a simple file. He favoured a platoon wedge:

The group would be divided to four squads. The lead squad would contain their best fighters and most able spotters, probably including Summer.

The middle squad should contain Bittman as the platoon leader, the medics and the wounded as well as Vasil as the radio operator. Corporal Lewis should lead one of the flank squads and assign one of his most capable team leaders to the other flank.
Last edited by Narts on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:14 pm

I totally did not write out a long report only to find Narts took care of it! nope!
==============================

Summer was cut off in her confrontation by the infantry drone's quick closure to discussion and her own unease. She realized she would have to compose herself before interrogating it for further information. When asked for ID, she only muttered her given name, reminded the surrounding infantry to prepare to move, and suddenly looked forward to report to Captain Hero Brows the Great in spite of herself. He intended to move and had somehow "enlisted" the accompaniment of the stranded squad. Unsurprisingly, he intended to move **right now**. Summer was in no mood to argue and instead plainly asked him to summon Vasil so both of them would hear her update, which he quickly obliged. "Hark, Vasil! Fair lady, what tidings do you bring us?"

The two men were relayed the camp's situation, its lack of an extensive inventory, and the fact that there were no seriously injured soldiers requiring assistance in movement. Oh, and that there was a piece of Black Hole technology amongst them. If the pair were surprised, they didn't show it, and elected to discuss their immediate course of action. Vasil quickly took charge of strategy, to Summer's relief. He proposed a standard platoon wedge formation which would best suit this number of personnel with Summer on point, Bittman at center with the weaker members along with himself as radio operator, and Lewis on one of the flanks. The drone would probably be on the other flank. Summer thought to ask what radio contact they even had out here when a monotonous machine voice bluntly cut through her mind.

===========
party!
Bittman: 3/4/2 healthy, remaining rolls: 4-10
Vasil: 3/4/2 healthy, remaining rolls: 1, 7-10
Teddy: 3/3/3 healthy (for a bot!), remaining rolls: 1, 3-9

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:31 am

The Lad was grateful for the fact that his blindfold was just some random slab of cloth tied around his head. It had graciously bestowed upon him the ability to scan his surroundings, albeit with difficulty as there was barely any light and the makeshift blindfold caused everything to be covered in a dark haze.
He had also made out the sound of what he believed were footsteps above the room they were kept in. If he could manage to draw however was above them down it would open various opportunities for escape. But then what?
The figure that shared his cell was still motionless, although mutters could occasionally be heard. Once this man woke up he'd make sure to discuss with this man, he may know somewhere flee to or better still; be some rebel from the Allied Nations. Oh, wouldn't it be fun to take the lives of those who matter from those who had taken his family's lives. A delightful prospect.

Now, back to getting whoever was nearby to them...
They were probably some sort of patrol or guard. If only he could provoke them; when angered people tended to think irrationally and do stuff they wouldn't usually do the Lad had learned. Yet what would he have to say to get a reaction?
===========
Attempt to provoke whoever is above. (Roll 10 + Provoke 2)

Wait, wait, wait.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:04 am

Log-203-E
1030 hours

New Database Entry: Summer
Internal Notes: Very distrusting. Unknown nationality. Pilot? 

>move to collect other unknown IDs

Scanning... ID match found.
Database Entry: Bittman
Notes: Capable combatant. Very loud.

Scanning... No ID found.

Log-203-E (continued)

Observation: Bittman is discussing strategy with Summer and unknown.
Observation: There is a break in the discussion.

Announcement: Recon repair successful.
Summer: Ugh. Yeah, I just told them that.
Reply: Awaiting orders on its usage.
Summer: It sounds like we're gonna leave it behind.
Reply: It would be a waste not to use this asset.
Summer: It'd also be a huge target.
Summer: Bet you didn't think of that.
Reply: Acknowledged.
Reply: The recon can be used in the forward-most position
Reply: or at the far end of the formation.
Reply: Additional functions are as advance scout.
Reply: Its mounted weapon has not been compromised.
Reply: Its combat abilities exceed on-hand firearms.

Observation: The valley has open areas in its center.
Observation: Recon crew can disembark at any time
Observation: to take cover behind vehicle or elsewhere.
Caution: Repairs are temporary.
Caution: Full repairs require additional resources.

Summer: Tch. So an unlucky scuffle will disable it completely?
Reply: Yes.
Reply: I can attempt additional modifications while camped.
Reply: For example, I can also rig it to explode.
Summer: That sounds- wait, what?
By the way, the Engineer bonus only applies to Teddy. Obviously other characters can still use things Teddy repaired but the usage check relies on their own skill list.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:45 am

[I would like to spend a fate point to establish Bittman's prior meeting with a drone, Bittman's seemingly absurd passion for drones, and all the mechanics of drones I mention as canon. To be refined in another post later today, along with word for word transcription of the drone's description of his heroic experience that so utterly moved Bittman.]

By all accounts Vasil was outlining a solid and effective plan. It seemed the group was going to go with the platoon wedge. Near the end of the discussion, the Black Hole drone announced the repair of the recon. Bittman paused to stare at the drone.

Certain black hole drones were indistinguishable from real soldiers while in combat. While this one was not one of those models, in his experience they were all capable of intelligent thought. After Lash had defected it was not unheard of to run into one of her inventions being field tested on the allied side. They were almost human. Almost. Bittman had talked to one during an awards ceremony dinner and noted they did not seem to recognize the thrill of serving under a commander.

After much cajoling, Bittman had managed to trade war stories with the robot.

[story]

The drone described the rest of the experience in the same clinical fashion all robots did. But they were words Bittman would not forget.

BIttman did not think it was a coincidence that the only machine troops were capable of serving under was Jugger, a purely chaotic being who had accepted there was more to the world than what was in his databases.

"The drone."

Summer looked at Bittman with dread.

"This drone!" he continued loudly, "Does not know the meaning of honour and glory! Surely you have felt it yourself on the battlefield, while under an officer's command. By their sheer will the blood in your veins begins to run hot. Bullets cannot pierce your steely hide, your shots all hit their mark. Artillery fire rains down upon you and you miraculously emerge unscathed. Such personal willpower is what even allowed me to take the full brunt of Von Bolt's Deus Ex Machina in the last war.

But the drone, do you not hear it speak? It is almost human. It is my duty to ensure such intelligence should know the full extent of the human condition."

Summer and Vasil stared at Bittman dumbfounded.

"I simply will not be swayed on this manner. It shall accompany me on the recon as a scouting party. Summer, it is your choice whether or not to join us, someone else will need to take command of the main forces. We shall make a man of this machine!"

ROLLS:

Force Teddy to join Bittman on a scouting mission. Command 10+3

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:58 am

Log-203-E (continued)

Summer: WHAT?!
???: What?
Interjection: What.
Calling it now, Green Earth commandos are handpicked veterans of war who have psychological trauma but remain physically capable. The rehabilitation program encourages them to adopt knight-like personas as a stablizing agent. It is more effective for some than others; for some, too effective.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:01 am

Would you like to spend a fate point for that? ;)

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:06 am

It is mere player speculation.

Also, keep the card. I have a feeling we might need it soon.

Sven

Post by Sven » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:09 am

[I'll leave that up to PK, the card is there to show I'm willing to strong-arm the game in that direction if necessary.]

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:42 am

(Of course I just said "use checks to force other players as a last resort!" But in this case, there's more than just forcing Teddy, he's also COMMANDing a different plan of action- using him, Teddy, and the recon as a scouting party. Personally I think the check is valid but if that wasn't the effect you were going for, then I suppose you could hold the card.)

(@ MLad: I'm going to wait to give HPD a chance to post before addressing the glorious effects of your check. )

(Likewise I'm going to wait for reactions to sven before moving the scene ahead.)

(btw i'm color coding my text now, tell me if it makes it hard to read, i just want to seperate in-game and out of game stuff better. )
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:46 am

Maybe PK can use his own judgement to mess with the rolls deck, restoring bad rolls after abuse, and perhaps granting good ones if they pull of a nice bit of roleplaying or whatever?

I'm home now, but I'm still observing how the game works. Perhaps I'll join in a bit if I feel confident.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:51 am

Bittman the Great's force of command is strong as he grabs the drone by the... whatever it is you grab drones by, and tosses it onto the back of the recon. He stands on the roof of the recon, and proudly declares that he is going scouting!

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:57 am

Also Vasil, here's the first Compel of the game!

Bittman the Great is screwing up your perfectly logical plan by stealing the recon, the drone, and some of the men to form a -very loud- scouting team. I'll give you a FATE point if your character is not successful in stopping him.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:45 pm

pfffffft hahaha
============

Bittman was now standing atop the recon and rallying the troops. While raising morale was good his plan of action was not. Summer thought quickly about what to do to try salvaging the more reasonable strategy they were just talking about 5 minutes ago. "Captain Bittman, I would be happy to join you on the scouting team," happy to call in every enemy unit in the valley more like "my only request is that I drive." and keep an eye on that BH inf she thought to herself. Bittman briefly turned to her and grinned, "Well met, Summer! Long has it been since I've fought together with the fairer sex!" His wording made her briefly think of him genuinely arguing with a woman which led to her thinking of a Mrs. Bittman which led to her thinking of what a Mrs. Bittman would be like. She quickly pushed the thought aside as quickly as it had arrived.

Summer addressed Vasil while the others were preoccupied. "Sir, it seems you'll need to redraw the formation. Still, it could be useful having a lure ahead of the troops. I'm sure 'his Greatness' can hold off any attackers while you follow with the rest of the men," actually she wasn't so sure, "Given the shape of the valley, if I may suggest, one group should flank any engagement of the recon team from the cover of the forest line. Another would attack the now-exposed opposite side from the more dangerous valley clearing. The last group moves to reinforce the recon team, although they don't need to move last. Sound good? My main concern is an engagement from behind the formation." Actually her main concern was that the recon team would be wiped out before the rest of the troops arrived.

============
Bittman: 3/4/1 healthy, remaining rolls: 4-9
Vasil: 3/4/2 healthy, remaining rolls: 1, 7-10
Teddy: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1, 3-9

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:11 am

Hey should we bring back the convention of colour coding our in-character stuff like in the grand battles? I claim blue.

"Perhaps it will be fine," Vasil said with resignation. "These things, after all, are manufactured to be a bit quieter than the Battlecars we rode back in the day."

Summer's eyes widened. "Sir! You served in the SUPER WARS?" Vasil did look a bit grey but she had no idea he was that old.

"Yes... under CO Rojenski himself," Vasil said reluctantly, now that he realised he had been spotted. He decided against mentioning he went way back to MAN WARS. He didn't want people questioning his fighting ability. His crippling war wound only limited him some of the time, after all. "I used to be a Captain in the navy. Used to. I don't think they would give me back my stripes, though, even if I wanted them."

(BTW, I want to add the aspect "Dishonourably Discharged" to my character. It's a negative social aspect that may affect him when dealing with members of the Blue Moon military, particularly older officers who might remember him.)

He changed the subject. "Oh, regarding the radio contacts you asked about before. Yes, I carry this radio so I can speak to my people back in the rebel HQ. I believe the recon vehicle also comes with its own radio equipment so in theory we could separate into two groups and maintain communication. I would advice against breaking the radio silence, though. The enemy has listening posts everywhere. If driving the car is using iron boots to sneak around, opening the radio is just shouting on top of the roof and calling the entire Black Hole army to come and fight you."

"Don't give him ideas, though." He gave a resigned look at Bittman, who was now rousing the troops on top of the vehicle at the top of his lungs.

I accept the Compel. I believe that gives me back the Fate point I used before. I hope the idea wasn't that I need to try and stop Bittman to earn it, though. Vasil doesn't want to openly challenge the captain's authority because it could affect morale.