AW Fate: The Game (Part 1: Blue Moon Defense)

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

kiwi

Re: AW Fate: The Game (Part 1: Blue Moon Defense)

Post by kiwi » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:54 am

cool we're back!
===============

The recon skidded to a halt on the forest path before Summer turned it around to face the enemy. No one seemed to be hurt apart from the vehicle sporting some extra bullet holes. She was sure the marching infantry heard the gunfire and were on their way. Finding cover and using the recon as bait seemed like a good idea unless their counterparts reached the enemy before they could follow. Either way one team would take the brunt of the enemy attack. "Sir! Orders?"

=========

Party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1-8, 10
Bittman: 3/4/1 healthy, remaining rolls: 8, 9
(Vasil: 3/4/2 healthy, remaining rolls: 1-7, 9, 10)
Teddy: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 3, 5, 6, 7

enemies can move too right?

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:41 pm

"Turn the recon around and charge right back into battle! We shall use it as a joust to pierce their Black Hole hides."

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:39 am

The men rushed for their firing positions and went prone. They all picked their targets as they had been trained to, waiting for Corporal Lewis to fire the first shot.

Vasil and the infantry attempt to ambush Black Hole.

Roll 9 (+2) Skill (+2) for Shoot. Roll 10 (+3) Skill (+3) for Stealth. Roll 7 (+1) Skill (+3) for Notice.

ImageImageImage

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:16 am

Code: Select all

Log-207-E (continued)

Observation: enemies have been lost

Summer: Sir! Orders?
Bittman: Turn the recon around and charge right back into battle! 
Bittman: We shall use it as a joust to pierce their Black Hole hides!
Summer: That sounds-
Suggestion: It might be better to-
Summer: ...like a great idea!
Summer: Fasten your seatbelts!

Observation: this vehicle has no seatbelts
Game log:
Teddy prepares to shoot. (Roll 6, Skill 1)
Remaining rolls: 3, 5, 7

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:44 am

===========

Bittman quickly gave the order to get back in the fight. Summer was a little concerned the recon and its occupants would take damage but knew either them or the footsoldiers would have to engage first. The BH inf started piping in about something so Summer cut it off by revving the engine. "Fasten your seatbelts! I've got a really bad idea!"

===========

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1-7
(Vasil: 3/4/2 healthy, remaining rolls: 1-6)

actions!
Driving back to the danger zone! (Roll 8 + Drive 3)
at RAMMING speed! (Roll 10 + Drive 3)
ImageImage
Last edited by kiwi on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 am

sven, are you going to take any action besides talking? A light sentence like that, even a commanding one, doesn't count as an action for the sake of combat actions. If not, that's fine, but I just want to be sure.

Yes, Enemies can move. They probably will in later engagements. Right now though, they're pretty confused and it's about to get ugly for them :D

Also, a refinement to the rules- earlier I posted you can either move or attack in a turn, not both. Having thought about it after seeing the combat in action, I've already come to the conclusion that that's the type of rule that would kinda make sense in the game but doesn't work too well in play by posting (to be fair, FATE doesn't emphasize movement much anyway, I'm emphasizing it more because come on, it's AW). So yeah, You can move while attacking. So 2 actions per turn now, as long as 1 of those actions is movement related. I just don't want it to become too easy to escape combat through moving so I'll probably figure out a "break away" rolling mechanic. This should make combat more fluid and speed it up a little.

With that in mind then, I'd actually like two Drive checks from you, Kiwi- one to turn around on a dime, and one to ram into your opponents as an attack. Unless you don't WANT to attack this turn, in which case that's perfectly fine. (you can use the 10 on either).
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:47 am

I guess it counts as an attack + move!

does this mean there might be indirect attacks that hit across zones?

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:23 pm

i guess i don't really understand

like can i shoot them or not this turn?

if so i'm rolling 8 to shoot them

Sven

Post by Sven » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:27 pm

nvm i read it i'm shooting them

shoot 8+3 i think

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:15 am

Are you still around pk

Should I just take over and finish the combat myself as the GM?

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:17 am

Can I spend a fate point to get my action resolved?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 am

No, ML. I'll make one last update this afternoon, before handing it over to Narts. I'm just going to end this combat prematurely. I don't want Narts to have to deal with it. I'll try to update your situation ML in that last post.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:16 am

Narts is officially in charge of the game at this point

He'll be finishing up the combat and continuing your story, ML. Sorry about this.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:24 am

pk is the man who...

loves his life

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:56 am

I am the man who wastes his by putting way too much effort into a dumb forum RP!

The infantry platoon, with their experienced manoeuvering, led by Corporal Lewis and Vasil catch the already shaken and confused Black Hole infantry entirely by surprise.

Hails of bullets from within the thick foliage mow them all down without much trouble.

The battlefield quiets down, as the Allied troops listen and watch their surroundings for any surviving enemy troops.

Suddenly, one private from Lewis' unit lets out a shout.

"TANKS INCOMING! TAKE COVER!"

Surely enough, only a few seconds later, the hellish rumble of an approaching tracked vehicle can be heard by everyone. If this wasn't bad enough by itself, multiple smoke grenades go off where the Black Hole squad used to be, and shouts can be heard from the forests north and south from you.

Bittman, Summer and Teddy are listening in horror (or the closest computerised equivalent of horror, in Teddy's case) as screams of panic and death can be heard from behind the curtain of smoke, amidst chaotic machine gun fire from all directions.

The occasional Black Hole soldier can be seen moving quickly and determinately among the trees, only to disappear within a second. These guys seem different from the earlier, now dead Black Holes somehow. They seem to be knowing what they're doing.

The Black Hole Medium Tank rolls into view from the north, turned into an ominous black silhouette by the surrounding smoke. Its turret begins swiveling towards the Recon vehicle while its machine gun is firing randomly into the woods with a deafening roar.

Pincered!

The middle zone is COVERED BY THICK SMOKE meaning it's very hard to see anything inside or across that zone - and by extension, to hit anything with any sort of weapon.

The situation looks utterly hopeless. That means, even if you may entertain notions of heroism, if you stick around, you absolutely will die.

Bittman, Summer and Teddy: You have one obvious course of action to take.

You may scramble for the vehicle (Roll for Athletics) if you're not already inside.

If you're driving, you may Drive (duh) away.

In addition, I want everyone to roll for Will as the sudden turn of events is taking its toll on your morale.

Less obvious, but potentially useful actions include:

Notice to gain any useful intel on these newly arrived enemy reinforcements or on the unfolding situation in general. There is the feel that there is something unusual about these troops, but sticking around to gather information may be too risky.

I don't recommend trying to stay and fight the clearly superior enemy force, but if you want to, you may make Shoot rolls as usual. Just remember that none of you have any weapons that can scratch Md. Tank armour.

* Meanwhile, in the mysterious room in an indeterminate location *

Lad has been yelling so hard he is sweating and panting from exhaustion, when he eventually gives up trying to get the attention of the guards.

It has become clear by this point that nobody is hearing you, or if they do, they don't care.

You glance at the man next to you and shudder involuntarily. The man's face has turned white and he isn't breathing anymore.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 am

I would like to spend a fate point to reincarnate Vasil's spirit into a semi-corporeal hawk. The hawk will be jointly controlled by HPD and pkdragon.

Sven

Post by Sven » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:46 am

The hawk can talk of course.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:51 am

Fate point use rejected.

You don't actually have the ability to resurrect spirits as animal guides, and even if you did, you don't really know if Vasil is actually dead! Even though things are looking pretty grim ATM.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:48 am

i don't love my life so much at this point

man look at that map it's beautiful

good to know the game's in good hands

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 am

=================

Smoke started billowing in the area where the encounter had started. What's that, some kind of smoke signal? Summer thought. All of a sudden a thunderous sound echoed across the forest followed by a downpour of bullets. The BH inf made a tense announcement, "Warning: Large Enemy Armor Approaching. Advise disengagement from combat." A large metal silhouette came into view ahead of them. Summer quickly started to turn around. She could see Bittman was about to object while checking the vehicle's surroundings. "Sorry capn' but I'm getting us outta here!"

"Should we radio Vasil?" It's not like they don't know we're here. "Yeah, someone get on the radio while I take us to the outpost or whatever we originally planned." Hopefully they had survived the surprise attack by enemy reinforcements.

================

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1-5

actions!
Summer takes the recon party out of combat! (Roll 6 + Drive 3)
Summer focuses on the task at hand! (Roll 7 + Will 1)
ImageImage

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Do we get refunded on account of the mid-scene GM change? If I counted right, Sven gets an 8, kiwi gets a 10, ML gets a 10, and Teddy gets a 6.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Those cards are to be considered to have been used.

There are no replenishments.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:59 pm

My inner munchkin is disappointed.

Log-208-E

Situation Update: enemy reinforcements
New Objective: escape

Summer: Someone get on the radio while I take us to
Summer: the outpost or whatever we originally planned.
Reply: I am unable to reach the radio from the turret seat.
Summer: Oh, that's too bad.
Summer: So, you mind telling us where those troops came from?
Reply: We are in BH-controlled territory.
Reply: It is only natural that there are troops active.
Reply: There is a command center to the north.
Reply: Allied opposition is to the south.
Summer: I meant- Look, those guys seemed different.
Reply: Processing scan data. Inhibited by lack of stable view.
Summer: Well excuse me for trying to get us out quickly!
Game log:
Teddy tried to get a good look at the reinforcements. (Notice check: Roll 7, Skill 0)
Systems are stable. (Willpower check: Roll 5, Skill 1)
ImageImage
Remaining rolls: 3

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:56 am

Teddy: Your sensors do a quick-scan of a couple of enemy soldiers as they rush between covers.

They seem to be part of the small human core of the Black Hole army. Even though the use of human soldiers by Black Hole has become less common in recent years, there are still tasks for which humans are irreplaceable. Most recently, as the limitations of drone infantry have become increasingly evident, BH has scaled back their reliance on automation and reintroduced larger contingents of human troops to their army.

However, not only are these humans, they are elite humans.

Their knowledge of the terrain and the ability to use it to their advantage demonstrates superior training. Their movements bear some similarity to the Terrain Tactics sub-program installed to you by Lash, but they seem more advanced.

They wear powered combat suits that look similar to standard drone armour, however there appear to be non-standard parts attached to their weapons, which you are unable to identify.

The distance is too large, and the vehicle is shaking too much for you to be able to read their badges in detail, but a search based on the blurry, low-resolution imagery through your database of known Black Hole units results in no matches. This is likely to be a new unit formed after Lash and Hawke's defection.

This is all the information you were able to glean of what you've seen.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:47 am

For the will check.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:37 am

Summer, you skillfully drive the Hummer.

Most of the small arms fire coming your way seems to be fired more or less blindly and does not succeed in causing real damage. The Md. Tank's main cannon fires once, felling a large tree some 30 metres away from you, followed by silence. Which is odd, you think, as you are not yet outside the gun's range.

However, the recon vehicle was not meant to travel at this high a speed at this rough a terrain. A short lapse in your judgement causes the vehicle to hit a rock at such an angle as to cause it to roll over.

The door at the shotgun's side is ripped off and Bittman is ejected from the vehicle. And so is Teddy.

Everyone roll for Athletics.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:57 am

Log-20%#!&

ERROR
Game log:
Teddy is ejected from the recon. (Athletics: Roll 3, Skill 1)
Remaining rolls: 0, requesting new hand

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:01 pm

whoops, my bad!

Brace for impact! (Roll 5 + athletics 2)

I think sven needs a new hand after that last check; I kept the hanging rolls last time because I wasn't sure they were accepted or not!

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:09 pm

There is no need to request a new hand; you will be automatically replenished with a new 1-10 hand whenever you run out.

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

so i've got my new 1-10

i have 3 in athletics. rolling 1.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:20 pm

thanks for lying about that rule tweak dp!

so I guess Bittman is annoyed about not fighting anything yet and decides to faceplant like a champ!

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:23 pm

I decided having to manually issue replenishments would have been just unnecessary friction.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:40 pm

The vehicle settles gracefully into a roof-down position with one of its wheels and some other parts missing.

None of you thankfully were seriously hurt by the impact. Except the two privates in the backseat who are dead. Though it appears at least one of them was dead from gunfire before the crash, nobody just thought to check their status. Oops.

Summer only suffered some minor scratches and bruises - your body hurts everywhere but all of your limbs seem to be working and attached and you manage to crawl out of the wreck.

Teddy landed into a relatively soft patch of land and vegetation and he has a tough carapace. The impact forced a couple of non-critical systems to reboot but you are otherwise fine.

Bittman is nowhere to be seen. You are surrounded by pain and darkness and you have no idea which way you lie. You don't remember drinking last night. You may roll for Notice to regain your situational awareness.

Summer + Teddy: You may use Notice to search for Bittman OR to observe the pursuers' status.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:58 pm

I was wondering when Bittman would fall in that hole.

vehicle overturned, hostiles near

Scanning for wounded...
Scan complete, back seat passengers deceased
one appears to have died before the crash

driver is missing, may be on other side of vehicle
front seat passenger is missing, should be nearby

Calculating most likely trajectories...
Game log:
Teddy searches for Bittman. (Notice check: Roll 8, Skill 0)
Remaining rolls: 1-7, 9, 10

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 am

His throat had become raw and it hurt to swallow, yet it hadn't helped one bit. Nobody had heard his cries, or at least they hadn't responded to them. Those bastards. The guy which had been murmuring and spluttering on the other side of his cell had also gone eerily still, the Lad believed to see his face had gone pasty white, though that could just be his eyes deceiving him because of the lack of light. If he was dead, good on him. At least he wouldn't be the one to enjoy the delightful aromas of decaying flesh.
The prospect almost warmed him.

If he wasn't going to be able to get someone else to free him, he'd have to find some other way. All his tools and gear had been taken from him, along with his clothes which had contained concealed pockets containing spare weaponry and rations. He spat on the ground, this is no good. He looked around and all he could see was the vague image of the a box near his feat. If only he could reach it, maybe he could flip it over to see what's in it...

=============
The Lad
Physical Health: 3/3
Mental Health: 3/3
Fate Points: 2
Remaining Cards: 1-5, 7, 9
Consequences:

Party
Corpse

Actions
Force against the ropes to try and stretch them enough the reach the box with his feat and tip it towards him. (Roll 8 + Physique 1)
FATE Point that the ropes aren't of good quality.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:32 am

Fate point... accepted!

Your valiant efforts were not in vain and you manage to loosen the ropes enough to reach the box with your legs. It's hard to get a grip on the heavy object by your toes alone, but slowly you manage to slide it closer to yourself... you are interrupted when you hear a faint rustle from the other captive's direction.

You thought he was dead! Surprised, you turn your head - even in the dimness of the cellar, you can distinguish movement from the man's body.

Unfortunately, it is not his body that is moving. It is something inside him. And whatever it is, it wants out.

Sven

Post by Sven » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:13 am

IT'S THE SPIRIT OF THE HAWK!?

roll for notice 2 + 1

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:08 am

Teddy: You fail to find Bittman's location.

Bittman: You roll around on what feels like a flat, stony surface and bump against a wall. Although your body is aching, nothing seems to be broken, as far as you can tell. You just happen to be blind.

The air feels dry and dusty.

...what was that? A faint hint of light? You stare upwards lying on your back, squinting, and indeed it looks like there is a small hole above you letting in sunrays to light up a cone of dust floating in the air.

Fate works in mysterious ways. It appears you have fallen through a hole in the ground.

You could use Notice again to search your surroundings, or you could shout to get your comrades' attention.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:41 am

===========

The recon accident left Summer briefly dazed. Despite the vehicle completely rolling over, she wasn't badly hurt. Unfortunately, the two nameless infantry in the back were dead. Great, my lucky streak continues, she groaned to herself. Some yards away the BH inf lay in a patch of grass and turf completely intact. Figures. There was no sign of Bittman or bits of Bittman so Summer scanned the distance for enemy activity.

===========

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1, 2, 3, 5
Bittman: 3/4/1 healthy, remaining rolls 3-10
Teddy: 3/3/3 healthy, remaining rolls: 1-7, 9, 10

actions!
Summer looks for signs of pursuit! (roll 4 + notice 4)