AW FATE, Ch 2: The Terror Depot

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Narts

AW FATE, Ch 2: The Terror Depot

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:00 am

Bittman, Summer, Teddy:

After a long walk through a tunnel filled with nothing but dust and the occasional rat that scurries away, you arrive at a metal door that has been rigged with plastic explosives. On your side of the door.

You chuckle for a moment at Black Hole's stupidity and lack of sense to hide their trap when Teddy sardonically points out the trap was probably meant for someone opening the door from the other side.

You disarm the trap and enter warily...

Valerie:

You were stationed at a supply depot with your unit when Black Hole took over the region.

When the Black Hole forces approached the depot you were ordered to retreat underground through a secret tunnel entrance in one of the storage shacks that they hadn't told ordinary rank and file soldiers like you about.

It was a desperate, hasty retreat. You were ordered to bring some important supplies from a storage room but when you came back you found out everyone had left already.

They didn't leave you behind out of malice, you reasoned. They probably just forgot. You've had plenty of time to get philosophical about it.

It seems there had been a secret command bunker hidden under the supply depot. Some very high brass had been hiding there coordinating the defensive operation against the invaders. Now almost nothing is left - save for a strange, experimental vehicle called Rapid Deployment Land Patrol & Weather Control (R.D.L.P.W.C.) stored in a garage in the western portion of the complex, and some communications equipment in a radio room to the north.

You're not a communications expert, and someone with the knowledge might be able to get something out of that equipment, but your best guess is the radio room is simply not connected to the mast. You are not able to get any kind of signal out of the machines although they seem powered and functional.

Even though you were not trained for its operation, you know basically everything about the vehicle, which you have nicknamed Rudolph. After all, its operation and maintenance manuals have been the only reading you've got for all these months. You gain the RDLPWC Operator aspect.

Rudolph was apparently designed to be the personal combat vehicle of Olaf, the supreme Blue Moon leader. It has however seen very little use, possibly because it has some severe design flaws and limitations. Which is probably also the reason why the escaping Blue Moon forces left it behind.

Basically it is an armoured snowmobile - with a pair of experimental snow cannons dubbed the Twin Frozr - which have the ability to turn a 20 metre radius area around the vehicle into a small winter wonderland that makes it possible for the vehicle to make use of its propulsion system even in otherwise non-wintery conditions - as well as to freeze over rivers and lakes for amphibious crossing.

The Twin Frozr doubles as a pretty functional anti-infantry weapon - it's less effective against armoured vehicles.

The weaknesses of the vehicle are its tendency to overheat, heavy fuel consumption and the fact the Twin Frozr is on a fixed forward mount and not a turret.

Finally, there is no gas in the bunker and the vehicle's tank is empty. There might be some in the above supply depot... there is a problem, though.

The supply depot is under Black Hole control.

The ladder entrance is pretty well hidden, and the Black Hole troops stationed above haven't thought to look for it. You have used the entrance to steal some supplies from above - mostly food they occasionally keep in the shack - and to spy on the Black Holes.

You have found out the following information:

-The Supply Depot is under the command of one CO Adder. You know he's a famous figure, because you remember having read about him in the Wars World News years before you were conscripted.

-They are in charge of the supply flow to the east and southeast where they have some kind of operation going.

-In recent days, another unit arrived. These new guys are some kind of special forces, and the old guys don't seem to like them much. They're stationed here temporarily for some unknown reason. They are rumoured to have brought POW's with them.

-Looking through some of the maps left in the Command Room you've pieced together a picture of what is going on in the larger region. Most of the information is probably outdated now. There is one marking on the map which you don't understand: about 50km north from here is / was something labeled "Anomalous Growth".

The garage door to the west is large enough for Rudolph to go through, and while it's well camouflaged from the outside, opening it almost certainly wouldn't go unnoticed from the enemy. You have several times considered just opening it anyway and just making a run for it, but you probably wouldn't get far by foot before being shot or captured.

You know the southeast entrance was going to be rigged with plastic explosives to slow down the pursuers, which is why you haven't opened it. There had also been talk of blowing up the tunnel to block the pursue route, so you are not mildly surprised when suddenly, one day (you think it's a day - it's easy to lose track of time here) the door is kicked open and a team of Allied troops burst in waving their guns.

They quickly realise you're not a threat, and since you have little reason to mistrust them, you relate everything you know to them.

Valerie joins the party.
Last edited by Narts on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

Re: AF FATE, Ch 2: The Terror Depot

Maps and diagrams:

Last edited by Narts on Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Narts

SITUATIONAL ASPECTS

Here are some of them affecting players at the moment:

Bittman:
Lost His Gun
Sulking

Lad:
Tied Up

Valerie:
Knows Her Way Around (applies to current location)

Situational Aspects for the Underground Bunker:

All Zones:
Full Of Traps

Rudolph:
Out of Gas

Radio Room:
Equipment Not Working

THE PLAYER CHARACTERS

The Lad
Physical Health: 3/3
Mental Health: 3/3
Fate Points: 1
Remaining Cards: 1-10
Consequences:
Roughed Up (Mild)

Bittman:
Mental Health: 4/4
Fate Points: 2
Consequences:

Teddy:
Fate Points: 3
Consequences:

Summer:
Physical Health:3/3
Consequences:

Valerie:
Physical Health:2/2
Mental Health: 2/2
Consequences:

The cards:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Narts on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:15 am

Aaand the game is go again.

Lad, you'll get an update later, maybe tomorrow. I figured this one was large enough. Sorry for making you wait.

scraggypunk

Re: AW FATE, Ch 2: The Terror Depot

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:15 am

"Yessssssssssss am I glad you guys are here, I was getting pretty stir crazy!!! Did you know it's REALLY hard to sleep with constantly humming florescent lights beaming down on you? I couldn't find a switch for them... heh... haha. So anyway! That's all I got for you lot. I feel like I should have accomplished more in my time down here, but uh, what can I say? I'm just a grunt. No, actually, that's a lie. I cook for grunts. I understand the basic concept though: shoot the zadrota wearing fishbowl helmets. Simple! I can do that, simple... simple...

Errr uh hey anybody hungry?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:05 am

we're back! rad!

=========

The party entered a strange underground complex and found a nervous woman by the name of Valerie. She was apparently BM and had been trapped there when the BH forces moved in. She told them about the situation and where they were. Summer briefly forgot about her own troubles and felt sorry for their new companion. Despite having ample food, the loneliness and constant threat of attack must have been taxing. "Are you OK kiddo? How long have you been down here?" Summer wasn't sure when BH's latest activities happened or how quickly they had taken territory. Bittman mulled over recent events and was outwardly bothered by having to run away from a fight. While the group took a moment to rest, Summer looked around for anything of use. Based on what Valerie had said, it was possible to sneak out around the area immediately above the bunker but it was probably best to wait until night.

=========

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, 1, 3-10
Bittman: 3/4/2 healthy, 1-10
Teddy: 3/3/3 stable, 1-10
Valerie: 2/2/3 healthy, 1-10

actions!
Summer looks around for something of use! (roll 2 + notice 4)

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm guessing the anonamulous growth is where I am.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:26 pm

About the times:

Black Hole invasion began about a year ago. Valerie was trapped 10 months ago.

Current time of day: 6 PM-ish - at these latitudes it would be soon getting dark at this time of year (it's september).

Sven

Post by Sven » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:43 pm

gonna be super busy this week, will post less.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:31 am

Summer:

You're about to start poking your nose around but Valerie stops you.

She's been trapped here for months. She's gone through every nook and cranny already. Anything useful she has already found. (There's not a lot of it. Most of the stuff was taken by the retreating troops)

Not only that but the place is full of traps. Some of them set up by the Blue Moon soldiers before they left, some by Valerie herself in her months of boredom.

If you were to randomly poke your head around you'd likely just get it blown clean off.

You may keep your card.
___

Also, to keep with the formalities of the FATE system I think I should define some Situational Aspects.

Here are some of them affecting players at the moment:

Bittman:
Lost His Gun
Sulking

Lad:
Tied Up

Valerie:
Knows Her Way Around (applies to current location)

Situational Aspects for the Underground Bunker:

All Zones:
Full Of Traps

Rudolph:
Out of Gas

Radio Room:
Equipment Not Working

edit:
Also, while sneaking out through the ladder entrance is possible, Valerie has never gone farther than the shack where the entrance opens to. There are two guards always posted outside the shack. She has gained most of her intel by listening to the bored conversations of the guards and looking through the small window of the shack using her binoculars.

edit2:
A note to everyone about posting style:

There's no need for you to write long prosaic posts - this isn't character battle XVIII. You especially don't need to describe something I've already described. We already know you're in the bunker with Valerie.

Actually I'd prefer if people would stick to talking to each other, in their character's voice preferably, but in a normal, non-contrived manner, as if they were in the described scene. Scraggypunk has the right idea. I'd like to see less Dostoyevsky, and more planning and scheming. How are you going to escape your current situation?

Then describe actions in a simple way. "I shoot the bad guy" is just fine.

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:15 am

Lad:

After maybe ten minutes of waiting, the door slams open again.

A very foreboding woman in her twenties with purple hair descends the stairs.

She is followed by Vetch and three women in lab coats who are pushing a vat the size of a bath tub that hovers using some kind of anti-gravity technology. The vat is filled with what looks like soil.

She ignores both you and Baggett, who snaps into attention, and beelines straight for the plant thing.

She caresses the plant and speaks in a soft murmuring tone.

"My beautiful synthetic seedlings. You have grown so. Did the bad man hurt you. I'll never let bad men hurt you. Aww."

This continues on for a few minutes with everyone in the room just watching in silence.

Just when it looks like she would start making out with the plant she straightens up and declares: "This experiment... is a success!"

"I have proven that live humans can be used as fertile soil for growing plant life. The fools, they doubted me. Assistants, lift the patient and load her onto the repulsor. Bring her to the helipad. Vetch - You go ahead and tell the pilot to start warming the engines. We're leaving."

Vetch leaves and the women start working with the plant to displace it onto the levitating tub.

"Melanthe! Ma'am!" Baggett speaks in excitement. "Are we going to plant seedlings in the lad too? I want to see him explode!"

The woman turns slowly towards the soldier addressing her. Her one eye not covered by a fringe looks at him with complete apathy.

"No. My experiment here is done. I'll hand this one over to the garrison commander. He may do with him as he pleases. I'm returning to the HQ. I have a war to attend."

Baggett looks disappointed. He really wanted to see Lad explode.

CO Melanthe

Aspects:

Black Hole Regional Commander
Mad Scientist
Misanthrope
Plant Lover

The lab assistants complete loading the synthetic life form onto the transportation device and start pushing it up the stairs. Melanthe turns on her heels and follows.

You are left alone with Baggett. Whistling merrily, he pulls up his sleeves and starts beating you up.

You gain a Mild Consequence: Roughed Up

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:38 am

yesss
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:05 am

=========

Summer started to look around but was warned off by Valerie, "Wait! Don't touch that. It's trapped." Summer started to inspect another object only to be reprimanded again, "That's trapped too." Annoyed, she gestured to a bag in the corner, "Lemme guess, that's not trapped, that's just your food." Valerie seemed genuinely surprised if only because of her ordeal. "How- How did you know?"

"If I had to make another lucky guess, that giant snowmobile is our ticket outta here. We need a ton of fuel for it though?" Valerie nodded. "Then we need a plan to get some. If the shack above this place has guards posted outside it, there has to be a guard change some time, unless they're tin cans like this one." Teddy made no response. "Is the path leading outside trapped?"

========

questions!
is there a guard change?
notable traps to keep in mind?

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Valerie has been around long enough to know when all the guard chances occur. There hasn't been lot to memorise, though - the guards have shifts of one hour, a change occurring every o'clock. The guards are all humans, with regular dark grey uniforms, with the occasional dog to accompany moving patrols. No drones or powered suits. The new special forces unit that arrived is different, but they're not participating in the guard duty. Valerie thinks the guards are nearly blind (how else would she have survived this long) - the dogs are probably your worst concern. The dogs are the only ones in the above compound who know about Valerie, but they willfully ignore her because she is an Animal Friend.

While there are traps leading to, and in the ladder entrance, they can be avoided with Valerie as a guide.

edit:Oh and related to my above note - I guess I should make my point more clear. You don't have to pretend you're in a novel, all the time. Asking simple questions is just fine. "When do the guards change? Are they robots? Is the entrance trapped? I guess whe should find some gas!" is fine.

BTW Valerie thinks the most likely place to find fuel in carryable canisters is the Motor Pool. There is probably some in the Central Building too.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:54 pm

The guards can't see nothing with those ridiculous fishbowls they wear. Got some fishies swimming around in 'em I bet! Haha... listen though, listen LISTEN see the thing is, is that: you lot came from outside. I greatly suggest we all turn around and go back outside. Outside is good, you know? Very good, too good to not do! Yes YES it's a must! Traps everywhere! What good is getting fuel for Rudolph? No good for talking or for traveling with a group. Unless the flying toaster can carry Rudy? Eh? Little... little tin can?!
wisdom

Narts

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:02 pm

The guards don't actually wear fish bowls.

They are the palette swapped OS infantry sprites from AW1.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:35 pm

Busy.

Code: Select all

Log-211-E
1800 hours

Situation: busy
Game log:
Teddy creates two [2] remote explosives from non-critical radio room equipment and traps, probably the one at the tunnel entrance. They are strong enough to destroy a wall but need to be detonated underneath a vehicle to destroy it.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Mechanically this would create two aspects that govern the charges' deployment such as Explosive Charge (A) and (B). The user(s) would also need to spend a FATE point to detonate them.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:25 am

Gonna make use of my aspects here :)
==========
The Lad spat blood onto the floor, he had made a mistake trying to manipulate this bastard. It seemed to have amused the retched black coat. But that isn't what had bothered him most, he'd recognised that woman!
Although it was many years ago and he didn't know her personally he recalled his father mentioning her, something about him and some others frowning at her pursuits. He'd also gotten to know quite a few faces on those occasional days his dad brought him to work... Heh, it's almost funny how little these people knew. If they figured out he was the son of a traitor (not to say, a traitor which had authority) they wouldn't hesitate to... "Make him explode" in some bizarre fashion probably involving that lotus he'd grown fond of. It's a shame they had taken his green friend from him, what are they planning to use it for? It didn't really matter. His only goal was to get out of this crumpets, preferably while slicing Bag's throat on the way out. The thought made him chuckle, which in turn drew the attention of the idiot.

It was obvious playing feeble wasn't going to cut it. He was going to have to find some other way to convince the black coat to free him or he'd have to see how things went wherever they wanted to bring him. Speaking of which... who was in command? Mmm.

"Since when is Melanthe in command Baguette? She was merely a project coordinator last I heard of her."
The walking French bread frowned, obviously the Lad's change of tone and knowledge of his commander's name had take him aback. Maybe he'd be rewarded with another kick for doing so, oh joy. Better hurry this up.
"Yeah, you weren't expecting me to know her name where you? Might be so that you don't know a lot about me. What is it that you want? I have money if you want that, let me speak to some people and I could kick you up a position or two. Heck you could be the one to work Vetch's retched arse to bits. I was meant to reach Blue Moon's scattered forces (please say that the situation hasn't improved since he last overheard townsfolk) and infiltrate their ranks s a person of importance (if asked about this he'd reply that he would tell the Moon Men that he was the son of some commander or summin) to feed them false information to prevent them from regrouping.
If you let me go free, I can give you what I've already mentioned. Plus I won't tell Hawke of the hinderance you've been, I'm sure he wouldn't be pleased with that."
Now lets see if that earns me a blow to my crown jewels. It doesn't matter anymore, if I die I die he thought.

=============
The Lad
Remaining Cards: 1-9
Consequences:
Roughed Up

Party
Baguette du Fromage

Actions
Bribe and sweet talk this runt into freeing me. (Roll 10 + Deceive 4 + Stunt)

Wait, wait, wait.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:33 am

If this fails then Baggat has some sick high level of mental resistance. I've got like legendary or something deception levels now.

Wait, wait, wait.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:35 am

Teddy:

If you use a Fate point to Invoke the Full of Traps aspect in the current Scene, yes, I'll let you try and build a remote explosive device.

However, building an IED is a task which requires expert knowledge and can fail, with deadly results.

Which made me realise there is no Explosives skill. There probably should. But for now I'll treat it as an Aspect. Which you seem to not have. But I'll let it slide since you have Engineer as a stunt, which I guess is a reasonable substitute, together with your +4 Repair skill. I really need to add that Explosives skill though. Assign some points to Explosives and then we'll talk.

In addition to using a Fate point, you need to make an Explosives check.

Since you are a robot, if you fail you won't necessarily die. But you'll still get a Severe Consequence. And you might alert the guards above.

Do you still want to play around with explosives?

(Others can also stop him, if this plan seems too risky to them)

Lad:

If you want your father to have known Melanthe you need to spend a Fate point to declare it as a story detail. Otherwise, you learned her name by listening to the earlier conversation. This is the first time you hear about her.

In any case, I won't let you try to deceive Baggett a second time so soon after the last attempt. He already knows what you're up to and is too wary to trust you. He just punches you to shut you up. He doesn't need mental resistance when he's not even listening to you.
Last edited by Narts on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:46 am

Gah,
Okay
What can I do? And do I get that 10 back?
Also:

Wait, wait, wait.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:01 am

You can wait for the rest of the party to get to you. Which shouldn't be too long now.

Or you should come up with a more creative plan to get out.

Yes, you still have the 10.

Fate point accepted. Yes, your father knew Melanthe, but not very closely. She indeed used to be a low-ranked CO who stayed behind in Black Hole territory when Bolt Guard was raising hell in Omega Land. However, after the Bolt Guard's defeat, the politics within the organisation shifted and Melanthe started gaining prestige and climb the ranks to where she is now - a second in command to the shadowy new leader of Black Hole no one seems to know anything about.

The organisation has changed a lot since your father's time.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:16 am

Well that worked the Lad thought, that bloody bastard had cut his flow of words short with a stunning blow to the left side of his face. He must look spectacular right now, he took a mental note to count the colours that were bound to be covering his body. It was obvious his tongue wasn't going to get him out of this situation. So here he was, bound up with weakened ropes, beaten bloody, stuck in a room which had been used to feed mutant plants with the company of a sadist that wanted nothing more than to see him "explode". I guess things could be worse.
In a last ditch effort he decides to scan the room for anything of use. Inwardly he also hopes that his companion would just leave the darn room.

==============
The Lad
Remaining Cards: 1-6, 8-10
Consequences:
Roughed Up

Party
Baguette du Fromage

Actions
Scan the room for anything of use now the door is open and there's light to see things with.
(Notice 1 + Roll 7)

Wait, wait, wait.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:06 am

The door isn't actually open. Unless you want to spend your remaining Fate point on it.

You don't see anything of note.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:13 am

The lad goes to sleep. This isn't geting him anywhere.

Wait, wait, wait.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:14 am

You can't sleep when you're being physically abused.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:10 am

ML is getting a tutorial from hell here?

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:23 am

Seems the party is intended to rescue him.

So as to skip deliberations about Teddy's newfound hobby I will hold on to the point but still switch in explosive training in exchange for, uh, provoke training. Value is 2.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:29 am

Ok, done. (The skill reallocation)

I should probably remind people that Fate points can be used to declare story details. This should be especially useful if you feel like you're stuck.

You can use points to "find" specific useful items or even claim you were carrying them all along. Works better than doing Notice rolls I never asked for.

Though you should be able to move forward from this situation even without Fate points.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:25 pm

So let's recap:

-You are in an underground complex.

-You may or may not have shaken off your pursuers. If not, they could be here any minute.

-The snowmobile could be used for escape, but it doesn't have fuel.

-Fuel can be found above ground.

-Above ground is guarded.

-The guards look rather incompetent, though. Someone skilled in Stealth should be able to sneak around.

-The shed at the top of the entrance has a window and a door / walls that let in sound. It could be used to get intel on the situation.

Lad: I noticed you still have an open Stunt slot. You should come up with something for it.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Or I could do this and save that for later:
=======
God fudge darn this bloody crumpets, this jerk also denied him sleep. So here he was in agony which he was mentally subduing being worn down physically. How long he'd be able to hold in without cracking he couldn't say. Whatever, he thought. I'll be put out of my misery at some point. Wether that release was death or freedom he didn't care.
Just and he was pondering wether to mentally lock himself from the world and his situation a deathening wailing sound started. Is that, a siren? Holy crap, if people were assaulting wherever he was he could soon be freed. Fudge, he may even be rid of Baguette for a while!

=========
The Lad
Fate Points: 0
Remaining Cards: 1-6, 8-10
Consequences:
Roughed Up

Party
Baguette du Fromage

Actions
A siren starts going off in the distance. It could be a false alarm or not, the Lad doesn't know it's cause.
If there's still room for more in this FATE point usage I'd like Bagget (who would know what the siren's usage is) to leave and do whatever soldiers do when sirens go off.

Wait, wait, wait.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:11 pm

yeahhhhhhh I swear I start out with short sentences but paragraphs keep spilling out! just read the summary at the bottom for the important stuff, the rest is flavor!

==========

"Sorry kiddo but going back the way we came isn't an option. Last time we were there, the plants were going nuts and there were hostiles everywhere." Valerie was disheartened by the news. "Hey believe me, if a simple option like that were available I'd take it too."

"If I have the time right it should be dark or close to it. Compy here probably has the best shot at sneaking around. It sounds like the regulars are way beneath these Strangle Vine guys. Hitting the guard change correctly will be the hard part if there's more than one. We need some kind of distraction. Or we can just wing it." The rest of the group looks unimpressed. "Then I guess we should find out some last minute intel but we gotta move soon."

===========

actions!
have Valerie demonstrate how to leave the bunker without setting off traps!
enter the shack above the bunker!

questions!
what kind of control does Val have over animals?
where would prisoners be kept?

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:36 am

Summer:

Answers to questions: Valerie's exact influence over animals depends on the situation, but she isn't some kind of an animal sorcerer who mind controls foxes or anything like that. Animals just like her, because she is kind to them. They may be moved to help her if they sense she is in danger.

Question 2: Valerie doesn't know where the prisoners are being held. Like, she literally just doesn't know.

You enter the shack above ground and take a peek through the window.

It is twilight. There is a T-Copter parked on the roof of the central building, with its engines running. It looks like there's something being loaded onto it. Some kind of a floating high-tech bathtub or something. The loading operation is being watched over by a woman in purple or blue hair who looks like some kind of an officer - maybe even a CO. You have to squint hard but you are pretty sure it is not Adder.

Suddenly, a dog starts barking. The door to the shed opens and two Black Hole Palette Swaps burst in. Upon seeing you they start shouting and reach for their guns.

An alarm goes off.

Lad:

Fate point accepted.

Baggett stops beating you and raises his head in surprise and confusion. The door slams open again and a soldier addresses Baggett.

"Jerkop Daitenzen! Sir! General alarm! We're being invaded! Adder needs you!"

"Drat!" Baggett curses and ascends the stairs. Both of the soldiers leave, with the door left swinging open. You can hear the siren from the outside loud and clear among with shouts of men and the barking of dogs - as well as the engines of a helicopter taking off.

You realise Baggett's beating of you has loosened your ties enough you could probably wiggle yourself out of them without too much trouble.

Combat begins.

Round 1

Bittman, Summer, Valerie, Teddy: Your location: Storage Shacks.

Lad: Your location: Unknown as of now - but you are somewhere in the supply depot.

The T-Copter is taking off and heading towards north.

Enemies:

The compound is crawling with them, but here I will list individuals that have been spotted by you.

2x Black Hole guard: Location: Storage Shacks. These are the guys who entered the shack and sounded the alarm. They wear plain grey uniforms and caps, no powered armour. They have rifles slung over their shoulders but they are reaching for the pistols on their belts.

3x Black Hole guard: Location: East Entrance. You can see these guys through the window. They seem confused and aren't sure which way to go. They seem as lightly equipped as the ones in the shack.

Turn order:

Move order determined by Notice, Athletics, and then Physique. I will wait until everyone has given their actions, and then the actions will be resolved in this order.

1:
Summer (4 Notice)

2:
Valerie (3 Notice)

3:
Bittman (1 Notice, 3 Athletics)

4:
Lad & Teddy (1 N, 1, A, 1 P - you will move simultaneously with...)

...Black Hole guards - these guys are such noobs

Lad: You may not move or perform combat actions, but you may roll for Athletics once each round to try and wiggle free.

Some notes about combat rules:

Pk was crumpets about move + fire. You may not move between zones and perform a combat action in the same turn. The whole point of a zone is that it's an area where you can move freely anywhere and punch someone in the gut during a single round. If you could move to another zone and do that we might as well not have zones then!

You can, however, fire ranged weapons between zones. If you fire into an adjacent zone, you will get a -1 penalty on the roll. If it's two zones away, -2, and so on. However, you can't shoot if your line of sight is blocked. One obvious landmark blocking your line of sight is the Central Building. If you were fighting in the bunker, you also couldn't fire between zones because they are separated by walls and doors.

You only need to use one card every round. This will be used for all your rolls during that round. There is an element of randomness, though, so beware - even the best card won't necessarily guarantee success in any situation.

There is a new concept I'm introducing, called Suppressive Fire. House rules OMG! It's not a complex thing, but I'll explain it in the rules topic.

Objectives:

This looks, again, a desperate fight you can't win. At least, if you define "winning" as the total routing of the enemy. Which it doesn't have to be!

You also are no longer protected by plot armour, because I now know how damage works! Oh noes!

Your primary objective, probably, should be to escape the compound. There may be several ways of achieving this, and not all of them obvious.

FATE normally allows something called "conceding" in a Conflict. I guess it would be useful for a My Little Pony RPG. I'm, however, not allowing that here. You'll need to find your way out into the open before you can try to escape. If you surrender to the enemy, you'll likely just get shot. In fact, just getting out might not be enough. You probably will need a vehicle. Luckily, there are almost certainly some in the Motor Pool. You could also retreat to the bunker if you think you have better chances of surviving there. But not before you deal with the two guards in the shack.

You may start planning your combat moves.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:09 am

Oh, btw, Bittman:

Even though you have no firearm with you at this time, you do have basic close quarters combat training as a commando (Fight 1). You have your trusty commando knife as well as a garrote with you. These, of course, can only be used against enemies in the same zone with you.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:43 am

===

"Welp."

===

party!
Summer: 3/3/3 healthy, 1-9
Bittman: 3/4/2 healthy, 1-10
Teddy: 3/3/3 stable, 1-10
Valerie: 2/2/3 healthy, 1-10

actions!
shoot the two guards right in front of us! (roll 10 + shoot 2)

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Code: Select all

Log-212-E

Commencing Operation "Wing It"
Teddy takes advantage of the chaos to sneak to the central building. (Roll 5, skill 3)
Teddy also takes an insignia from one of the soldiers in the shack.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Wouldn't that be a stealth role?
Also, woops.
Anyway, for when it's my turn:
========
Ahhh, the sweet, sweet sound of chaos. Bagget had left the room in a rush cursing, forgeting to close the door whole doing so. Mens voices cried out to each other while orders where barked by those with commanding positions. Then there was that beautiful wailing siren, god bless it.
If he could now get out of his shackles he'd be able to loot the room (he knew a suit and cigars had been found in one of the crates, who knew what's in the others?) and get out of here. Then? Well if he got a gun he could go find Bagget, a bullet through his brain would be a worthy way of thanking him.

=========
The Lad
Fate Points: 0
Remaining Cards: 1-8, 10
Consequences:
Roughed Up

Party
Finally Nobody!

Actions
Try to escape my shackles.
(Roll 9 + Athletics 1)

Wait, wait, wait.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:41 pm

I should probably remind you that you are allowed to discuss plans with each other.

You are not in an impossible situation but working as a team will increase your chances of survival considerably.

I'm still waiting for actions from: Bittman and Valerie

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:51 am

this post was all wrong
Last edited by scraggypunk on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wisdom