AW FATE, Ch 2: The Terror Depot

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

kiwi

Re: AW FATE, Ch 2: The Terror Depot

Post by kiwi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:40 pm

hey! exclamation points would be totally appropriate in this case!

sorry for the delay! working on something which'll either be really cool or really terrible!

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:19 pm

I hope it is not that poster.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:04 pm

SIGH here's a completely normal post! art is hard!

===Summer===

The OS soldier moved around the garage, directed to find a "HEALING BREAD" or so she thought she heard. She wondered where the bread was made since the bunker wasn't exactly homely. Then she wondered what it was made of for it to last the month or however long Valerie was trapped there. Just then she found it, in pristine condition despite the circumstances, and noticed it was arranged like a shrine to something...

Above the neatly arranged bread was a poster, no, banner adorned with the burly visage of one commander Olaf engaged in hand to hand combat with what looked like a two-headed shark amidst the roaring winds of a tornado, his beard and belly brandished dramatically against the elements, arms rippling with hair and muscles as they struck out against their foe.

Summer wasn't sure what she was witnessing.

============

party!
Summer: 0/3/1, healthy, 1, 3
Bittman: 2/4/2, healthy, 6, 7
Teddy: 3/3/2, stable, 7, 8
Valerie: 2/2/3, healthy, 7-10?

actions!
take/eat/use the HEALING BREAD!

I'll finish that poster some day!

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Valerie has had access to supplies stored in the above shack, which sometimes included food or ingredients to supply her baking hobby. The Black Holes wouldn't notice if a few grains went missing here and there.

While Summer was confused for a few seconds, she was aware that official Blue Moon propaganda could sometimes be somewhat outlandish.

Wait - what is Bittman's Fate point for?

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:55 am

It appears to be a safeguard against the traps going off.

The closest thing I can find is that players can offer a point to counteract a compel they want to avoid but since that has not happened here, well, it would be up to discretion to accept it or not. On that note, players with no points must accept the next compel their character receives.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:13 am

Counteract a compel? I think you got it backwards. You don't lose points from compels, you are given points for accepting them. They are the main way of gaining Fate points outside of milestone refreshments.

If there was a compel offered to you and you didn't like it you could just refuse it. You would only lose a FP in the sense that you don't get the one as a reward for accepting the compel.

Sounds like the FP has no purpose so I'm going to just reject it and move the game forward.

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 am

Sideslip is in effect. Enemies move at +1 initiative and can move+fire.

Summer eats the bread, which is surprisingly delicious. She almost forgets she is still in the middle of a battle zone and probably soon going to be dead. Summer loses one Stress point.

Bittman and Valerie wait in the corridor, tensed up and ready for anything. But no one appears from the ladder and no one sets off any traps. Perhaps the enemy suspects an ambush. Perhaps the continuing sound of gunfire from above indicates they are otherwise occupied.

Teddy is walking towards the motor pool area, when the guards stop him. "Halt, drone! State your business!" The guards (he can see three of them, but there are probably more amidst the buildings and vehicles in the loading area) point their weapons at him while eyeing him nervously. It seems they are on the edge now that one truck was stolen from under their noses.

Lad pushes pedal to the metal and drives the truck towards the gate, while the Black Hole soldiers keep firing at him.

Suddenly, he hears a louder, heavier machine gun from the behind. Bullet holes appear in the dash board and he feels a sharp pain in his shoulder.

Lad gains the Severe Consequence "Gunshot Wound".

The guards jump aside as the truck crashes through the gate and speeds into the distance.

Lad has escaped the conflict zone.

He won't be able to act until the rest of the battle has been resolved and the next chapter starts, but he got his freedom. But at what cost. What cost?

Combat Round 9

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:28 am

Cool, I was not sure Lad would make it out or not.

Hmm, is that guard who was stabbed still in the Motor Pool?

Narts

Post by Narts » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:38 am

Even if you knew about the stabbing, you couldn't tell if he's around or not. The area is too big and full of obstacles to vision.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:45 am

Yep yep yep yep yep yep... not gonna wait around for them to realize grenades are a thing. Gosh I've just been hankerin for some fresh air, the outside, yeah, yeah... yeah I'm gonna go. Yep! Bye! You should probably come with me but I understand if your professional soldier honour or whatever prevents it! I got none of that though! Bye!!

Valerie runs to the exit the group came from!
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 pm

something tells me the tunnel isn't an exit!

==Summer==

While eating the bread Summer heard Valerie panicking in the corridor. She peered through the doorway but the recruit had already stormed off. Bittman was shaking his head. Knowing their odds of survival were even worse if they were separated, Summer went to try reasoning with Valerie.

===========

party!
Summer: 1/3/1, healthy, 3
Bittman: 2/4/3, healthy, 6, 7
Teddy: 3/3/2, stable, 7, 8
Valerie: 2/2/3, healthy, 8, 9, 10

actions!
move to command room!

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:03 pm

Woooooo
I guess, how much one can celebrate in a hypothermic, shot and beaten up state.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:13 pm

A win is a win.

Teddy states it is doing vehicle checks due to the surprise attack on the outpost (Deceive 2).
It also inquires about the vehicle that drove past and if something is wrong.

Remaining rolls: 8

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:22 pm

oh I forgot BITTMAN!

==BITTMAN==

BITTMAN furrowed his brow and wondered how things would've gone if he had stormed the enemy HQ by himself. He was sure the mission would've been completed or he would've died heroically by now and not be stuck in a tunnel, but for as long as there were soldiers in his wake that did know the true meaning of valor he would stay his impulses.

============

ACTIONS
DEFEND think of heroic one-liners!

STATUS
2 HP / 4 WP / 3 FP
roll 7 left!

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:15 am

So how was this supposed to play out with a stealth-oriented approach? I presume we would have entered combat at some point, but I suppose there would have been a few turns to sneak around.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:11 am

I wasn't aware stealth-oriented was an "approach".

You don't wander around like puppies and just do whatever in a war zone.

Or maybe you do, eh.

Anyway, we still need to play out your GRUESOME DEATHS. I might give you a rundown of what went wrong afterwards.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:54 am

Valerie and Summer had only just arrived in the command room when a deafening explosion shook the bunker around them. The room was filled with smoke, dust and panicking shouts coming from the opposite corner. Someone was firing a gun on full auto, the rounds hitting the ceiling and walls at random.

When the two regained their senses they saw soldiers in heavy armour pouring in through the tunnel entrance. Two of them were lying motionless on the floor, having triggered one of Valerie's traps.

There are 3 Power Armours in the Command Room.

Bittman guards the empty corridor bravely.

Teddy speaks to the guards. They continue to observe him suspiciously. "This area has been cordoned! No one moves in or out. That includes drones, toaster boy."

After you inquire about the truck one of the soldiers picks up a walkie-talkie. "Sir, we have a stray drone here asking questions. No I don't know where it came from. Instructions?"

Your situation analysis sub-routine begins warning you that sticking around might be unwise.

Combat Round 10

BTW forget what I said earlier about not being able to fire between zones in the bunker. You totally can! As long as the doors are not obstructed by enemies.

Also this is the 10th round and since everyone should have used one card and only one card each round and none of you used any before the combat started you should all have precisely one card left.

Your hands will refresh for the next round.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:04 am

AARARARRGH THIS IS STUPID

Valerie shoots the bad guys!
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 am

I hope the best possible solution was not something like "kill dragon with bare hands."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:45 pm

probably was

killing me would have avoided this whole situation
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Judging by your avatar that would be improbable; Fighting attacks are ineffective against Flying types.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:59 pm

No one is dead and you still have plenty of fate points left.

You are in no place to complain.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:50 pm

I assure you I am merely contemplating, which I freely admit is like complaining in a roundabout and self-important way.

But mostly I am waiting to see what Bittman does.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:52 am

Waiting for: Summer, Teddy, Bittman

Come on get your act together chumps

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:59 pm

If nobody posts heads will start rolling.

One of you already escaped with PLOT KNOWLEDGE and I'm under no obligation to spare any of you side characters.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Code: Select all

I do not have time for this.
Teddy enters the nearest truck and exits through the north gate.

The key is in its designated this-is-where-the-key-goes-when-not-in-use place and therefore easily found.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm

Bittman hears the chaos in the command room and fires upon the enemy from the doorway.

He is probably shouting something about honour.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Ooh, a game about me
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:53 pm

It is certain to be a mysterious game.

Summer shoots one of the enemies on the ground.

I trust this is an acceptable alternative given the circumstances.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:15 am

What does Teddy do to the guards who are attempting to stop him from doing exactly that?

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:08 am

he uploads fudge.exe
wisdom

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:01 am

ERROR: cannot find fudge.exe
Result: no fudge given
Teddy employs the stubborn machine act, pretending to inspect the target vehicle over the bewildered guards' protests before hopping in; on starting the truck it declares that this one is working, placating the onlookers, then it nonchalantly drives off.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:15 am

One of the guards steps forward and thrusts his rifle's butt straight into Teddy's faceplate.

"Can't you understand plain english, rustbucket? No entry!"

You sustain no damage but it's clear they're not going to let you just walk into the parking space.

You may try to force yourself through but you have to either kill the guards or otherwise neutralise or divert them.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Hmm, let me brainstorm a bit. Perhaps our errant player will show up in the interim.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:59 pm

I would hope so since brainstorming is supposed to be a group activity.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:24 am

"Fire in the hole!" An object falls down the ladder and hits the floor of the corridor, clattering and rolling around. Bittman recognises the fragmentation grenade and shouts: "Fear not, fair ladies! Bittman the Great shall be your shield!" Arms outstretched, he throws his massive body over the grenade just before it explodes, absorbing the brunt of the explosion and heroically saving everyone else in the room, never mind that there was no one else in the room.

Bittman is dead.

The elite Black Hole infantry just keeps pouring in through the door. Even though Summer and Valerie give it their best, the enemies are just too many and eventually they must succumb to the hail of bullets.

Summer and Valerie are dead.

Adder steps out of the shadows and presses a button on a remote. Teddy goes limp, with the word "TILT" flashing on his faceplate in big red letters.

Teddy is... dead?

Time's up. The errant player did not show up. Everyone died. Mysterious Lad is the only survivor.

Roll call. Who is still interested in playing? If there is still a group I am not opposed to starting a Chapter 3, though we'll probably switch to a different system that does not require people to think about fate points or aspects or other nonsense.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:26 am

congrats lad, you did it. you won
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:37 am

By harshly being shut down on the innocent looking cynical kid route(by understandably failing to impress a sociopathic soldier), half freezing to death soon after, and then getting a plot coupon to escape with a gunshot wound.

In hindsight this chapter was to complex for the usual WWN style of doing things combined with not really getting the rules. Perhaps Nart should have warned them a few times you all ignored stealth in that doing this the reckless way was impossible. The card system was also a utter faillure: all it did was goad players to take risky actions thinking their high roll picks would carry the day. They didn't, and even if it did, the scope of the situation wasn't altered at all. Nart seems to have ran some hidden calcs, I would like to see them. A advantage of random rolls is that it encourages thinking about the risks more. With AW you usually attack based on the given damage range, and perhaps just about 3% more as a acceptable gamble in some cases. It's probably the same with this.

I think nobody cared that much after the battle had begun with no plan in sight but.. as I said a few weeks ago, this was painful to read.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:05 am

This was in no way impossible. In fact you all still had a very good chance of escaping alive (but no can do if nobody's playing) All you needed to do at this point was walk through the east gate - you already had one vehicle outside the map.

From my perspective the card system worked well - it allowed me to run the game much faster instead of having to go back and forth requesting rolls every time someone got shot at. I don't want to even imagine how slow that could have been. Yes, there were "hidden calculations" and that wasn't even a secret - all the cards do is determine your amount of re-rolls but each roll is still using dice the normal Fate way. My hope was that the cards would be a sufficient psychological substitute for rolling your own dice in addition to the tactical element of timing their use. The cards are one thing I would like to carry over to whatever system we may still use (if we're still playing)

I could post a log of the dice rolls (if I can find them. I re-installed an OS a couple of times and may have lost some of the logs)

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:30 am

Yeah as I thought. I could find the logs only for rounds 1,3 and 9, but here they are anyway:
Spoiler: show

Round 1:
Summer - shoot guards 10(+++)

+3
+2

Result: +3 +2   (+5!)

Defence: +1 +1

Summer wins by 3   (Succeed with style!) (added benefit?)

The entire mob is mowed down.   also gets one guard behind the wall

Valerie - shoot 5(0)

Bittman - strangle guards, battle cry - 1(---)

Lad - wiggle 9(++)

+2
+3
+1

Break free!  

Teddy - sneak to the central building 5(0)

-1 +3 = +2

success

Round 3:

summer  (suppressive fire on south yard) 8(+)  shoot 2

- 1 - 1 - 1 + 0 = -3
0 + 1 - 1 + 0 = 0

result: +2   (can keep shooting)

guards 5x defence:
1: - 1 - 1 - 1 + 1 = -2
2: - 1 - 1 - 1 + 0 = -3
3: 0 + 1 - 1 - 1 = -1
4: 0 + 0 + 1 + 1 = 2
5: - 1 - 1 + 0 + 0 = -2

4x guards suppressed.

valerie  (move west)

success

power armour  (shoot) skill +2

@Summer  Stealth +1

roll: 0 + 0 - 1 - 1 = -2

Defence:
- 1 + 0 - 1 - 1 = -3
0 - 1 + 1 + 1 = 1

Attack: 0 versus Defence: +2

Miss!

bittman   (shoot)  3(-)

@guards

1: - 1 + 0 + 1 + 0 = 0
2: 0 + 0 - 1 + 0 = -1

Result: -1 +2 = +1

Defence:
1 + 0 + 1 + 0 = 2

Miss!

lad    (->north yard)           7(+)
success

teddy   (search)            4 (-)   notice 0

1: - 1 - 1 + 0 + 1 = -1
2: 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 = -2

Result: -2    Nothing found.

Stealth roll (skill +3)

1: - 1 - 1 + 0 + 0 = -2
2: 0 - 1 + 1 - 1 = -1

Result: -2 + 3 = +1 success

bh guards
 south yard ->east    1x moves east. 4x suppressed

shacks   
   3x guards: shoot

Teamwork roll. Skill: +1 +2 = +3

0 - 1 + 1 - 1 = -1

-1 +3 = +2

@Summer

Defence:  Stealth +1

1: - 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 = -1
   2: 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 = 3

Result: +3 +1 = +4

Miss!

Round 4:

1:
Summer (4 Notice)

card: 7 (+)

full defence

2:
Valerie (3 Notice)

move north

3:
Power Armour (2 Notice)

shoot Bittman   (shoot +2)

1 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 1

1 + 2   =   3

Bittman defence:     (stealth 0) card: -

1: 0 - 1 + 0 + 0 = -1
2: 0 + 1 + 0 + 1 = 2

-1 + 0 = -1

3 vs -1   (hit!: shift 4)

Bittman -1 pHP

4:
Bittman (1 Notice, 3 Athletics)

card: 4 (-)

Fight +1

melee attack scarface  (defend: +1)

1: - 1 + 1 + 0 + 1 = 1
2: 0 - 1 - 1 - 1 = -3

-3 + 1 = -2

defend: 
- 1 - 1 + 1 + 0 = -1

-1 + 1 = 0

Miss!

5:
Lad & Teddy (1 N, 1, A, 1 P)

lad: move west 

card: 10 (+++)

teddy:

move up

card: 3 (-)

Black Hole guards

south yard:
move east

shed:
shoot summer    (+1)  

1 + 1 + 1 - 1 = 2

+2 +1 = +3

+3 (mob bonus)

result: +6

defence:  stealth (+1) full defence (+2)

1: 1 + 1 + 0 + 1 = 3
2: - 1 + 0 + 1 + 0 = 0

+5

scarface: fight bittman (+1)

0 + 0 + 1 + 0 = 1

1 +1 = +2

defence: +3 

1: - 1 + 0 - 1 + 1 = -1
2: 0 - 1 + 1 + 1 = 1

-1 + 3 = +2

Tie!  locked into WRESTLING.

Round 9:

Lad defence: (1 re-roll, smallest result counts)
Roll 1: 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 1
[b]Roll 2: 0 + 0 + 1 - 1 = 0[/b]

+2 Stealth + 0 = 2

Enemy roll:

1 + 1 + 0 + 0 = 2
Postmortem analysis:

Bottom line is, I'm still not sure what was so difficult about this. It was supposed to be simple - get Lad free (optional), get the fuel, escape.

My original intention was that the beginning of the chapter would have consisted of the party poking around in the abandoned bunker uncovering clues about what happened and discovering stuff like Rudolph on their own. But since I came up with the idea of having Valerie be found in the bunker I realised there was no reason she wouldn't already know everything worth knowing about the place and simply tell the party. This allowed me to skip that part by means of good ole infodumping and get to the exciting stuff faster. I expected the party to be found out and having to fight their way out but it wasn't supposed to be right at the beginning.

I guess it was pk's intention that Lad and HPD could pass the time by RP'ing with each other until the rest of the party would get around to rescue them. Of course it didn't quite work that way. It's usually a bad idea to separate the party in an RPG like this since it almost always results in someone getting bored as the GM can't give everyone equal love and attention and certain things need to happen at a certain order and pace.

So, understandably Lad was getting impatient and wanted to leave the prison. I couldn't let him escape too easily, though, since the idea was the rest of the party would rescue him (probably when the guards would take him outside to transport him somewhere) Escaping confinement in a military complex all by yourself shouldn't be exactly easy anyway.

Lad using the Fate point to set off the alarm was however something I did not expect, but I'm not one to refuse a fate point when it makes so much sense.

Things were still going pretty fine though all things considered. Especially since Teddy managed to enter the central building - I hadn't planned for anyone to actually go inside there, but a disguised drone getting through unnoticed seemed plausible enough. I thought you already had it in the bag - all you needed to do was to search the building and get the gas canister (the central building and the motor pool were the two places where you could find gas). Only you gave up only after one turn of searching and decided to go to the roof instead - for what reason? Oh yes, the antenna.

Again I had not planned the radio to be important but I figured I could let you call in some reinforcements - maybe there were some rebels hiding in the nearby forests who could answer to Valerie's plea for help (assuming that's what she was planning). There wouldn't have been enough of them to take over the depot of course, but they could have provided a useful diversion. Only you then decided to abandon this course of action as well. (genuinely I thought "what the hell" at this point)

Lad's plan to sneak into the motor pool to steal a truck seemed daring, but it also was sensibly executed and some good fate point usage oiled the wheels enough to seal the deal. Overall Lad was the one player who consistently role-played and made sensible decisions. It's no coincidence he got away. He also helped the rest of the party by diverting the enemy's attention - literally the enemies were doing nothing but trying to stop Lad for those turns and the other players could have used that to their advantage and escaped. Could have.

Teddy's idea to emulate Lad may have been pragmatic but it also was rather boring I thought so I wouldn't let that happen - it wouldn't make sense for the guards to let him there anyway right after a truck was stolen from under their noses.

But yeah maybe I'm too used to playing with experienced groups where everyone plans and strategises every move and I made things too complex and (seemingly) difficult. Maybe a "behind the enemy lines" scenario isn't the best fit for this group.