War RP

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

ThunderWalker

War RP

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Hm, last night I got the idea of starting a war-themed Roleplay, but instead of the standard World War II theme, I'd give it an interesting historical twist; the dices at the Congress of Vienna in 1814 and 1815 would be rolled again, and with massively different results. This would give history a massive twist as the events lead up to a Great War more than a century later, but with entirely different roots and causes as the current World Wars (and indeed, no Hitler!), and indeed just a single one instead of two as it currently is.\\

I am writing this short post just to see if there's any interest in partaking in this, before I'll finish writing it out in full.
My sig is a void.

MysteriousLad

Re: War RP

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Sounds interesting but we currentely have an Advance Wars RP running. Cone join if you like and possibly run this in the future.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:14 pm

It will take a while anyway before it starts, certainly not before the end of October.

First I'm looking for people that might be willing to participate - give or take a week or two - before writing up the introduction and change of events which takes another few weeks, and then people can enter their characters. Then I'll start the war and the stories begin and will eventually intertwine at a point in time.

At that point we'll be at least a month or two away from now. It'll be a freeform RP too - though there will be a third thread; the Strategy thread in which strategic moves of the country you represent will be made. I don't care everybody can read it - moves made in WW II with capital ships weren't exactly a secret either (point in case: Midway). Moves made there will be important as they decide the storyline.

Edit: Before we start there's also the rather crucial phase in which we have to design admirals. Admirals can decide not only how a battle ends but also how bad a defeat will be (there's a difference between a retreat and a rout). I can't make a realistic battle roll without knowing how the admirals will act.

I expect the AW RP-game to be done by the time this can finally start, so participants there don't have to worry.
My sig is a void.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:33 am

I'd possibly be interested however I'm going to finish the AW RP first and I'd like to see an explanation of all the structure of the RP before I join.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:04 pm

can i be viceadmiral dog

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:39 pm

sounds lame
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:21 am

To be honest, we probably want mafia back by the time FATE is finished/crashed.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Bonesy wrote:can i be viceadmiral dog
You can be anything you want.
The RP itself is freeform (except that it is guided by the results of the occurences in the Strategy Thread). Note that a story of a common soldier is much less likely to be influenced by major happenings than that of an admiral. Even lesser fronts have to be defended after all, but admirals have to make decisions.

A sailor will be somewhere in between as his ship will be sent to another place [due to Battle X about to happen or the result of Battle Y, or a combination of both], but it might not be told to him why the ship suddenly changed course.

Note that a bit of knowledge about WW II era naval strategy would not hurt if you partake - except there'll be a relative lack of submarines - without any combat experience no country dared to build a whole lot of them.
My sig is a void.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:38 pm

The mechanics are as of yet rather vague.

I am also more of a cat person.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:03 am

DieselPheonix wrote:The mechanics are as of yet rather vague.

I am also more of a cat person.
That is partially because as of yet I don't know how I will roll the naval battles. I want a fair system that we all have influence upon, but also heavily influenced by decisions an admiral would make. I have no clue if there's any mathematical program on the internet or up for download for this.
It is a freeform RP that basically is over when the war is over, and the 'roll' of the battle basically mostly decides the storyline and nothing else. You can't get knocked out of the RP in any shape or form (no matter how I end up rolling the battles). It won't drag on because sooner or later we'll run out of ships on one side which decides the war rather quickly (either a surrender, a nuke, or a D-day-scale invasion and a march to the capital).

Land battles will be too strategically insignificant to need a roll unless it gets out of hand, so you can basically do what you want there as long as you don't make it ridiculous.
Natural barriers prevent land battles from being decisive unless a D-Day-scale operation is mounted, but naval superiority has to be assured first anyway in that regard.
My sig is a void.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:56 am

And the first question will be tossed around: What kind of role would Aircraft Carriers have? Would they even exist if there was no First World War? Would they exist but only carry a small group of biplanes?

On the other hand, all European countries had to build the majority of their navies from scratch, as well as the Empire of the Rising Sun, which could mean that the fleets are centered around Aircraft Carriers instead.
So the opposite (nothing happened that prevented the invention of airplanes, after all) could also be true; battles centered around aircraft carriers even more than they did in WW II.

It could literally go anywhere and I'd like a few more opinions about this.
Last edited by ThunderWalker on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My sig is a void.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:00 am

imo there should be flying aircraft carriers

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:17 am

There oddly enough have been a few of these, but they don't look like they could take their planes back on board.
My sig is a void.

DieselPheonix

Post by DieselPheonix » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:21 pm

Obviously the flying aircraft carriers need to be shaped like manta rays which would solve all their problems. You could just make a very, very large plane but that looks far, far less pretty.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:11 pm

The USS Macon was the last flying aircraft carrier in service, carrying four biplanes. It crashed in 1935 due to a combination of human errors.

My sig is a void.