STAR WARS mafia - The Force Abides - MAFIA WINS

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: STAR WARS mafia - The Force Abides - DAY TWO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Also,
Satel wrote:i just wanna say that i didn't get a clear roleclaim from linky and could only make assumptions

and i know how badly i messed up but hopefully you guys prove my death woke you up. best thing i can ask for
This was by far the biggest dick move in this game. C'mon Satel.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Treedweller

Re: STAR WARS mafia - The Force Abides - DAY THREE

Post by Treedweller » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:30 pm

roguerickman wrote:also roguemafia is baaaaaaaaaack and i just wanted to tell you that i've been displeased with scriggyhunk's performance and that she's totally darth forcechoking poor dragonite. i asked her not to because he had just eaten dinner. there's mom's spaghetti all over dragonite again
Can I just point out how eerily accurate this post was? Treedrogue at his best, oh yeah.

Also don't worry, Scis, I did want to play legit this round and refrain from using our unshakeable bond for nefarious ends. Mostly because I was way too lazy to write any PMs.

Pkdragon

Re: STAR WARS mafia - The Force Abides - MAFIA WINS

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:38 pm

don't worry treed the squirtle squad is here to pick up your slack
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Treed, no matter how good you think you are at this game, your last few have been poor at best. I actually can't decide who the most useless player was between yourself, q and pk. Basically everything you did was counterproductive.

I think mafia have won like five games in a row now, mostly due to this kind of play from town members. While entertaining to watch, I do understand poor Draggy's frustration at the town's continuous refusal to cooperate.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 pm

This game was impossible to win from day 3 on, and that's after a day 2 mafia lynch. Even if by some miracle people had focused on Linkman(which could have happened if K had defended herself normally), Treed would not have lynched Deoxy the day after, while another townie is forcechoked. A loss was still far more likely, but not being able to win anyway makes it worse.

Can't we just agree to put a bit more effort in next game? Treed's not even that funny anymore, because it's predictable you will do nothing and clown around. We might as well stop playing mafia if it keeps up to this extent.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:37 pm

Dragonite wrote:This game was impossible to win from day 3 on, and that's after a day 2 mafia lynch. Even if by some miracle people had focused on Linkman(which could have happened if K had defended herself normally), Treed would not have lynched Deoxy the day after, while another townie is forcechoked. A loss was still far more likely, but not being able to win anyway makes it worse.

Can't we just agree to put a bit more effort in next game? Treed's not even that funny anymore, because it's predictable you will do nothing and clown around. We might as well stop playing mafia if it keeps up to this extent.
Quoted for truth.
The town has been burdening itself and almost actively trying to lose.

Anyone other than me up for hosting next game?
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 pm

My excuses Linky. I for one thought this was irrelevant and I wasn't sure you were mafia.

This is my mistake.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:13 am

HPD, for all my pretend arrogance, I don't actually think I'm good at this game. I mean, how can you be good at a game that involves guessing your way through online forum social cues?

Admittedly, I haven't been trying in any of our mafia games of late. But I didn't join games to ruin them: I thought playing would bring back my burning mafia passion.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 am

I know it's just an act, dear. I know better than to take your antics too seriously.

But town members definitely should put more effort into playing. Not even much, but basically anything that's not blatant trolling or unesplained inactivity would already help so much.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:25 am

Sorry linkman for playing the game for you, next game it would be nice if we had a quick topic so that we can discuss plans and I'll try to be a little less impulsive as either alignment.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:30 am

Why didn't you ask for one? I honestly just forgot about it.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:13 am

MysteriousLad wrote:Sorry linkman for playing the game for you, next game it would be nice if we had a quick topic so that we can discuss plans and I'll try to be a little less impulsive as either alignment.
All's good buddy, sorry for snapping at you.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 am

Dragonite wrote:This game was impossible to win from day 3 on
Nonsense. I already pointed out linkman to you (he's a terrible actor. How someone can be a bad actor in an asynchronous, text-based medium still eludes me, but apparently some people can), and the heaviest suspicion fell on treed or deoxy to be the third one. (Notice how treed didn't once mention treedileaks? That's usually a sign - even without him acting all weird and silly)

So under my leadership we would've had roughly 50% chance of winning even assuming I couldn't have deduced more information in the later stages.

Of course I died before day 3 and it's not my problem if the rest of you are too damn stupid to figure anything out without my superior intellect to guide you through this super slow motion version of a party game usually played drunk.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:17 am

Quicktopics are also great for postgame amusement.

Although in my experience, using skype or facebook is even more effective as a discussion tool if you really want to discuss something complex. Anyway, like HPD said, the only way is up. Town coherence should be on the front of innocent players minds.You can't trust anymore, but in mafia you need allies, and also some effort to avoid upsetting of hindering the wrong person.

If you're tactical about it, that isn't even that hard. I know we're missing social cues Treed, but you can replace that by just stating out loud what you want if you have no particular reason to hide it. You all remember when I sucked at mafia, acted insecure when accused even when I was innocent, didn't speak out much, and was easily confused? And then look how I play today. I'm no master, but a very decent player at the very least.

Let's face it, Narts and I carried day 2 by just playing normally and being very clear about our actions. Even me lynching lynch votes wasn't seen as trolling, simply because I motivated my reasons, and kept my actions true to it. We're all intelligent people here. Intelligent enough to know the supreme power of common sense.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:18 am

Narts, every game we play you seem to suspect me. I've only been guilty in a handful of them.

I think you just find me inherently sketchy.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:23 am

Who the hell makes three "angry" posts in a row on a damn forum if it's not some hamfisted attempt to mislead people

And it wasn't just that I found you suspicious it was that the tactic of accusing each other just made sense for mafia this game.

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:46 am

If the town was actually playing (I mean apart from Dragz and Narts), this game might've been winnable.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:51 am

Narts wrote:Who the hell makes three "angry" posts in a row on a damn forum if it's not some hamfisted attempt to mislead people

And it wasn't just that I found you suspicious it was that the tactic of accusing each other just made sense for mafia this game.
I concur. Linky's angry post barrage made me think that he'd overplayed his hand and was just making way more drama than needed. If town had really caught on to it, I'm pretty sure town would've won. You already knew Treed was R2 and Q was Chewy (both roleclaimed), so Deoxy would be fully exposed as mafia.

But even before that I would've taken the time to deduce Deoxy's role. There really wasn't any other option but mafia, seeing as the only other roleclaim confusion was between Linky and K who both were claiming Obi-Wan.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:10 am

I resent the fact that you think I faked it. I was genuinely pissed at Mlad. I was willing to throw the game to see him lose.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:10 am

So what I'm saying is: yes I am a terrible actor, so much that I was telling the truth the whole time.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:23 am

Even as mafia you can still tell the truth and make a bad play at the same time. Maybe you should've shown more restraint for the sake of not accidentally screwing yourself over.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:29 am

He did have good reason though
I did literally almost kill him without consulting him first and then potentialy ruined any plans he had for later in the game

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:41 am

HPD wrote:Even as mafia you can still tell the truth and make a bad play at the same time. Maybe you should've shown more restraint for the sake of not accidentally screwing yourself over.
It was an awful play.

The point here is that I resent you thinking I was doing it to win. I'm not stupid, c'mon.

Okay maybe I am a bit stupid, but in a completely different sense.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:42 am

I contacted Linkman privately, so I had a easier time believing his anger was real. Which is why I went after K instead, since she was acting oddly prior to the day starting in the topic.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:03 am

Fun thing is, K only protected mafia the entire game. Too bad, she probably should've sacced on Narts night two.

Ah well, a billion things went wrong for the town anyway.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:08 am

Ok so a few things

yes the town "could" have won but that would have required q and k to actually be participating

by day 3 it wasn't a question of town being too stupid it was a question of the town simply not existing, so in that sense it absolutely was not possible for the town to have won

second of all, i was trying to help the town in my own way, but in case you missed it, i had the worst role ever. for one thing, have you ever seen me be night killed by the mafia? ever? ok that one game joey hosted, but that's about it. but even more, i personally thing it's inherently bad design to have someone destined to lose no matter how good they are, even someone as understanding and logical as me was demoralized when i realized no matter how well i play i'm dead after two rounds (i didnt expect the body count would be quite so high, but still, i would have been dead by the crucial day, turn 3).

not to mention me and sven were actively trying to avoid role claiming due to how 100% screwed the mafia would have been if everyone had actually role claimed. it wasn't that we weren't cooperating, we were just trying to keep the game from being over day 1

granted then sven aggrod satel and things went from there

still worth it just for 4/5 of the town specials being dead by day 1
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 am

i mean my initial impulse was to explode in a blaze of glory and take the town with me

thankfully im a good person and left quietly in the night

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:12 am

HPD wrote:Fun thing is, K only protected mafia the entire game. Too bad, she probably should've sacced on Narts night two.

I may have had something to do with that...
Who specifically?

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:17 am

Pk, only you have the silliest notion that you 'lose' when you die. This game is always a team effort and quite often getting killed for a higher cause is as much part of the game as anything else. Never be afraid to die in this game, honestly.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:17 am

MysteriousLad wrote:
HPD wrote:Fun thing is, K only protected mafia the entire game. Too bad, she probably should've sacced on Narts night two.

I may have had something to do with that...
Who specifically?
you first, then deoxy

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:30 am

Maybe not then
I urged her to protect linkman
Why did you chose us K?

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:35 am

How does that make sense?

You first anagonize Linkman, you try to get him lynched, you have a roleclaim conflict with K herself and still you want her to protect him? What?

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:43 am

HPD wrote:Pk, only you have the silliest notion that you 'lose' when you die. This game is always a team effort and quite often getting killed for a higher cause is as much part of the game as anything else. Never be afraid to die in this game, honestly.

except there's no point to it if you're dying for no reason. there is no higher cause with the yoda role, unless you're lucky enough to take a single mafia hit. but even then, you're basically AT BEST coming out even (because chances are, knowing Yoda is in the game, mafia isn't going to risk attacking the same guy twice) because you die shortly after- you save one but lose one. that's the best case scenario

so your role achieves absolutely nothing it only mitigates the consequences of it existing in the first place, and i personally would have needed a miracle to achieve even that

combined with the fact that you can no longer play after a certain period of time no matter how hard you struggle, it's just plain demoralizing

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:17 am

Next time I won't put that in then, I guess. If it doesn't work, there's no sense in keeping it in. ;)

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 am

Satel and Airnike also aren't fond of dying, or so they told me. In the end they are winning to roll with it if that means victory though.

About the Yoda role, it was a highly flawed one in retrospect. PK trying to fight it the way he did wasn't the best decision though, we have enough trouble earlygame as it.Making the same arguments you just did now at HPD day one when it wouldn't strictly matter would have have more of a impact. Would you have blandified it midgame HPD?

I guess Sven's idea to weaken the town advantageworked though. Since he got the counter card to force choke in the first place, he managed to turn into mafia advantage quite handily. And about the claiming thing, just avoid creating named civs? It aided the star wars flavor, but WWN is a madhouse. We could discuss a more balanced setup at a group and then try to play it seriously. Airnike already started a new game though. Probably going to join that, but I still desire a big normal game played normally.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:31 am

Yeah, this setup had obvious flaws, but in the end everything worked out well for this game. It's not wise to do a similar setup again, though. At least not without adding named aliases for mafia as well.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 pm

HPD wrote:Yeah, this setup had obvious flaws, but in the end everything worked out well for this game. It's not wise to do a similar setup again, though. At least not without adding named aliases for mafia as well.
Well, open setups like that are vulnerable to massclaims. But what really plundered the game was Sven playing for the Mafia, and that lead to my attempted manipulation of pk backfiring as I ended up being lynched for diverting attention off of Dragonite.
Townies should play with the town, or otherwise we should "change" how the game plays. :(
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Pitying the mafia is generally a bad idea. Even when powerful roles or a claim structure is pitted against them, they hold a powerful natural advantage of information and being able to being certain about their lynch activities. If they town goes soft of them any way this advantage is boosted to the point of it breaking the game.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:41 pm

It's not hard to counter roleclaiming in a themed setup lile this by just adding fake role names to cover for the mafia

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:02 am

I know. Was referring to what people concluded about the mafia(and acted accordingly) in this game. A few years ago we had a follow the cop winning streak, and that was the start of the current playstyle once people got frustrated.