Insider Mafia - Setup info & SIGNUPS

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Airnike

Insider Mafia - Setup info & SIGNUPS

Post by Airnike » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:55 am

"Many towns have been losing to the local mafias these days..."
The look on Mayoress Aurora's face was one of sadness and mild annoyance. But this was a serious matter.
"It is indeed worrying. ", answered Principal Advisor Tigre. "Mafias are extremely good at making people paranoid. And it seems the general town climate is at being paranoid and distrusting each other...
- What can we even plan to do about it. Even though I am the Mayoress of this town, my hands are tied. The financial lobbies already disbanded the police force because of the low crime rates that didn't bring them the accursed money. Bunch of stinky rats."
Sounds of boots stomping though the hall had made their way through the city hall.
"Lady, I must inform you quickly...", said Tigre who was getting in a rush. "Even though our situation is hopeless, I've taken measures. One trustworthy citizen in our city actually detains vital information about everything that has transpired in the city recently. Surely this will inspire him to fight the GFE's hounds.
- And if he isn't trustworthy?
- I have a safeguard. My own personal folders are hidden within someone else's home. Even though he doesn't know it yet, motivation will be enough to find it."
The stomping noises that had been increasing in noise stopped.
"Lady, I'm afraid our time has come. May the Insiders save us.", said the second-in-command before standing up.
Mayoress Aurora first gulped, but a ball in her throat made it hard to really do it. She walked aside her advisor and opened the door. One side, herself and the only man who trusted her. On the other side, an army of goons armed to the teeth. One second later, it was all over. Both were still standing, but dead.
The battle for Auroraville had just begun.
Welcome to Insider Mafia, an open setup that is borderline inviting a town victory. I'm sure the townies are able to lose this one here.
Insider Mafia for dummies:
Insider Mafia is a game with a Town-aligned Cult (the Insiders), with its own QuickTopic. The scum all have counters to the Insiders.
The Mafia (and the third-party) can obtain INTEL points, mainly by targeting Insiders. Whenever one faction has 5 INTEL points, they instantly win the game.
It's possible to no-lynch, and scum can also no-kill.
Good luck.
Naturally, it centers around the town sub-faction known as the Insiders (in-lore known as "the Messengers of Tigre").
Each night, one of the Insiders targets someone to recruit. Mafia roles will shoot an Insider trying to recruit them.
The Insiders will have the benefit of a QuickTopic to communicate.
The Insiders actually have a Backup Insider.
If half of the living players are Insiders, the town wins the game.

The Mafia have of course a counter to it: the INTEL mechanic.
The Mafia who do not perform a nightkill can still visit people. Whenever they target an Insider, they get 1 INTEL point. Shooting an Insider instead gives 2. At 5 INTEL, the Mafia wins the game.
Whenever targeting or targeted by an Insider (this includes nightkills), they all have a special effect.

There is a third-party role who wins solely based on the INTEL mechanic: the Overseer.
He gets INTEL by visiting Insiders and snatches INTEL from Mafia he visits. He cannot visit the same person twice in a game.
If he gets 5 INTEL, he ends the game and wins alone.

The game starts at Day 1. I would start it night zero, but then people would die before getting to play.

The roles: (with base numbers, I doubt I'll even get 12 players)

- Auroraville / Town (8) (6):
-- FACTIONAL WIN CONDITION: When the GFE is routed, you win the game.
-- FACTIONAL WIN CONDITION: When 50% of the living players are Messengers of Tigre, you win the game. (This is rounded up.)

Vanilla Townie x6 x4

Tigre's Trustee / Backup Insider x1 (Tigre's Trustee is not aware of his role and will be PM'd as Vanilla Townie.)
- PASSIVE: Cannot be recruited into the Messengers of Tigre normally.
- REFLEX: At the beginning of each phase, if no Messenger of Tigre is alive, you become a Messenger of Tigre and bring Hugh Westburgh back to life from the dead.

- Messengers of Tigre / Insiders (1):
--- SUB-FACTIONAL UNIQUE NIGHT ACTION: Attempt to recruit target player. (UNIQUE means it cannot be performed by several members of the faction, and can not be used along with another night action)

Hugh Westburgh, son of Tigre x1
- REFLEX: At the beginning of the game, you are given the identity of Tigre's Trustee.

----

- GFE / Mafia (3) (2):
--- FACTIONAL NIGHT ACTION: Visit a target.
--- FACTIONAL UNIQUE NIGHT ACTION (UNIQUE means it cannot be performed by several members of the faction, and can not be used along with another night action) - NIGHTKILL: Shoot target non-GFE player.
--- FACTIONAL REFLEX: Targeting an Insider gives 1 INTEL point. Shooting an Insider gives 1 extra INTEL point.
--- FACTIONAL PASSIVE: No two members of this faction can target the same person in the same night.
--- FACTIONAL WIN CONDITION: 50% of the living players are GFE.
--- FACTIONAL WIN CONDITION: Whenever you have 5 INTEL points, you win the game. (This counts the sum of all Mafia members' INTEL points, not each Mafia member's INTEL points individually.)

Max Mercury, CEO of the Goldenrod Financial Empire / Dismantler x1
- PASSIVE: Does not shoot a Messenger of Tigre that attempts to recruit him. Instead he "joins" them.
-- PASSIVE: While in the Messengers of Tigre, he does not count as an Insider for the GFE's abilities. (He still counts towards accomplishing the Messengers of Tigre's win condition.)
- REFLEX: Whenever targeting or targeted by a Messenger of Tigre, gain 1 INTEL point.

Merle Julia Yellowfield / Planner x1
- REFLEX: Whenever targeting or targeted by a Messenger of Tigre, you shoot Tigre's Trustee.

Marcel Johnson, Shock Trooper of the GFE Militia / Kamikaze x1
- REFLEX: Whenever targeting or targeted by a Messenger of Tigre, you blow up and kill the Messenger and Hugh Westburgh (if he wasn't the Messenger of Tigre you interacted with in the first place). If you targeted them for the factional nightkill, this ability kills all Messengers of Tigre instead. (Changed from "kill all Messengers of Tigre")

----

- Devil / Third-party (1):
Avaritia, Queen of Greed / Overseer x1
- WIN CONDITION: When you have 5 INTEL points, you win the game and everybody else loses.
- REFLEX: Whenever targeted by Insiders or scum, you gain 1 INTEL point.
- NIGHT ACTION: Brand an unmarked target with the Seal of Greed.
-- If they are GFE, you snatch 1 INTEL point from them.
-- If they are a Messenger of Tigre, you gain 1 INTEL point.

----

KARMAF': Every single player will have a slew of passive abilities both positive and negative tied to them by name, and they will be distributed regardless of alignment.
These abilities will be kept secret until distributed.

----

Extras:
- Night Action priority is as follows: Merle's Night Visit > Max's Night Visit > Marcel's Night Visit > GFE Night Kill > Messengers of Tigre Recruitment
- It is possible to no-lynch. Pansies be satisfied.
- The GFE can also not use their nightkill, by all using their night visit which cannot be used in conjunction with a nightkill.
- The Messengers of Tigre can target someone who already joined them, in which case they basically recruit no-one.
- Inactivity will be punished by making the targets easier to lynch. To avoid Mafia quickhammers, the minimum vote requirement is the number of living Mafia +1, and if the "normal" vote requirement to lynch them would be inferior to that, lynching them does not end the day phase.
- I added a patch to avoid an easy Mafia win: No 2 Mafia members can have a common target in one night.
- I fixed Marcel's ability adding gameplay confusion and making it useless for him to go nightkill a Messenger of Tigre: he gets back his total-party-kill, but only if his ability is triggered by him making the night kill.

Notes:
- Lynching, despite its reduced importance, is still a major requirement to routing the GFE, seeing as otherwise you're letting their power roles ruin the Messengers of Tigre's chances at winning the game. With a potentially massive kill count, a backup-kill, and the possibility of a Mafia instant-win regardless of numbers, Auroraville cannot just rely on the Messengers of Tigre, as their one counter-measure to the party wipe can be countered beforehand.
- I recently replaced the term TRIGGER by REFLEX in referring to actions that are used automatically in response to a certain occurrence. (Example: Whenever targeting or targeted by a Messenger of Tigre, ...)

More importantly, information will be updated here on demand.
----
In (9):
- Satel
- HPD
- Dragonite
- pk
- Terragent
- MagnificentLad
- Sven
- Linkman
- Hawkesnightmare
Last edited by Airnike on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Insider Mafia - Setup info & SIGNUPS

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:28 am

sounds complicated

but what is still the value in lynching people (or play day phases at all for that matter) in this setup?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:59 am

Lynching is for killing the mafia, as usual.
I mean, if unchecked, the Mafia have a total party kill, an infiltration, and a shoot-the-failsafe on the Insiders.
Also, no-lynching leaves the Mafia and the Overseer with enough time to farm INTEL and win.
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:45 am

i am obviously in
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:53 am

considering the effort you've put in this, I can do nothing else but join
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:18 am

My brain hurts, but I shall join. Just try to avoid any major balance tripups while you can still amend it.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Welcome to Insider Mafia, an open setup that is borderline inviting a town victory. I'm sure the townies are able to lose this one here.
im in
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:11 pm

Sounds hilarious, count me in.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Pkdragon wrote:
im in
Please, play the darn game :)
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Please
In
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:03 pm

fiiiine but I'm not reading those rules
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:35 pm

dont worry linkman i didn't read them either
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 pm

Sven wrote:okok
Linkman wrote:fiiiine but I'm not reading those rules
Am I to count these as "I'm in" or not?
Insider Mafia for dummies:
Insider Mafia is a game with a Town-aligned Cult (the Insiders), with its own QuickTopic. The scum all have counters to the Insiders.
The Mafia (and the third-party) can obtain INTEL points, mainly by targeting Insiders. Whenever one faction has 5 INTEL points, they instantly win the game.
It's possible to no-lynch, and scum can also no-kill.
Good luck.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:49 am

I am in as well.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:30 am

Sign me up, Scotty. Though I do have a concern. It looks like there is a way to get the mafia/GFE a really easy win. If Merle targets an Insider, the Trustee dies. Which makes it impossible to revive the cult if it were to be killed. If Marcel also targets or is targeted by an insider, he suicide bombs every insider. These two in conjunction ensure a mafia victory nearly instantly. If we don't rally up twelve players, I would consider cutting Marcel first, to avoid this possibility. I may run probability numbers later to see exactly how likely it is that both Merle and Marcel make a hit and instantly wipe out the Insiders.

EDIT: There was some crazy math stuff that I couldn't figure out, so these numbers are actually very optimistic. Which makes the findings even worse. On night 1, if I understand the rules correctly, each GFE member can target a different person. And since the GFE know who they are, they only have to search among nine people for the cult members. On night 1 alone, if they both target different people to maximize coverage, there is a 23.6% chance that either Merle or Marcel will find the cult member (This number is changed to 47% if the Trustee counts as a cult member, even if they don't know it). If neither of them hit a cult member that night, they have even better chances the next night. 62% chance of hitting the cult members assuming someone was recruited on night 1 (93% if the Trustee counts). By night 3, the GFE is 100% guaranteed to hit the cult members and either shoot the backup plan or wipe out everyone and the Trustee is pulled in. However if the cult members recruit someone that was already targeted by the GFE (or recruit the CEO), then the numbers for night 2 are halved and the GFE victory moves to 100% by night 5.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:23 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:Sign me up, Scotty. Though I do have a concern. It looks like there is a way to get the mafia/GFE a really easy win. If Merle targets an Insider, the Trustee dies. Which makes it impossible to revive the cult if it were to be killed. If Marcel also targets or is targeted by an insider, he suicide bombs every insider. These two in conjunction ensure a mafia victory nearly instantly. If we don't rally up twelve players, I would consider cutting Marcel first, to avoid this possibility. I may run probability numbers later to see exactly how likely it is that both Merle and Marcel make a hit and instantly wipe out the Insiders.
I patched this out: no two GFE members can target the same person in the same night, to prevent killing the entire gimmick of the game in one night.
hawkesnightmare wrote:EDIT: There was some crazy math stuff that I couldn't figure out, so these numbers are actually very optimistic. Which makes the findings even worse. On night 1, if I understand the rules correctly, each GFE member can target a different person. And since the GFE know who they are, they only have to search among nine people for the cult members. On night 1 alone, if they both target different people to maximize coverage, there is a 23.6% chance that either Merle or Marcel will find the cult member (This number is changed to 47% if the Trustee counts as a cult member, even if they don't know it). If neither of them hit a cult member that night, they have even better chances the next night. 62% chance of hitting the cult members assuming someone was recruited on night 1 (93% if the Trustee counts). By night 3, the GFE is 100% guaranteed to hit the cult members and either shoot the backup plan or wipe out everyone and the Trustee is pulled in. However if the cult members recruit someone that was already targeted by the GFE (or recruit the CEO), then the numbers for night 2 are halved and the GFE victory moves to 100% by night 5.
I didn't make calcs about it, but I wanted to make sure the GFE remained dangerous under all circumstances. As far as the game goes, the Trustee doesn't count as an Insider, and cannot be recruited.
Also, since when has any WWN game actually reached Night 5?
That aside, the point is made that the number of Insiders expanding only makes them more vulnerable to the Mafia's power roles. Marcel nerf incoming. Thank you for your oh-so-early contribution.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:04 am

Since our birthday is over now, I'm back here and seeing no change.
If noone more enters by tonight, I will proceed to make adjustments to the settings, and start the game.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:53 am

You make patches midgame should problems arise early on?
I'll know how to find you on skype, at any rate.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:49 am

Dragonite wrote:You make patches midgame should problems arise early on?
I don't patch midgame, just pregame.
If balance problems arise early, the game blows up and I start something else.
If balance problems arise later on, the game blows up, and it's time for next game.

With the current number of players (9), I'm likely to do a lineup with 6 townies, two GFE, and the third-party. The role of Merle will be erased.
Since I'm off tonight, you can expect the game to start tomorrow morning or afternoon, in 16 to 20-ish hours.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Post by Satel » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:41 am

Why erase Merle? Marcel is far more dangerous.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:49 am

Satel wrote:Why erase Merle? Marcel is far more dangerous.
Marcel was nerfed and I went through the trouble of balancing him. Meanwhile, Merle is far more gimmicky. She should see much less use in a small game.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Entrants are locked. Role PMs and game topic are to be opened shortly.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:25 am

Alright the GFE seem a lot more balanced now. As for Airnike's question, while Marcel could do a lot more physical damage, Merle could neutralize the insiders' ability to recover if they all died in the early game. For a game that's supposed to be heavily town sided, she was a big problem.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.