Would you like to represent WWN in a multi-site mafia tournament?

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Would you like to represent WWN in a multi-site mafia tournament?

Postby Linkman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:38 am

Uh

Hi Linkman

I saw you hosting a mafia game and was hoping that maybe you could help me out. I'm hosting a very big mafia championship tournament, featuring 136 different sites, and would like to extend an invitation to your community, but I'm not sure how best to go about this. Is there an appropriate thread for me to post this in, an appropriate person to talk to, or might you be willing to present the invitation on my behalf to the community? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Here's the information/invitation:

Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

Hello fellow Mafia enthusiasts! :)

My name is Thingyman. I am making this post with the hopes that your community would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. The representatives are officially and democratically chosen to be “Champions” by their respective communities.

Season 1 (2013-2014) featured 100+ players from 45+ different communities, and the Season 2 (2015) boasted an even more impressive count of 70 different communities represented. The creator of Mafia himself (Dmitry Davidoff) has even supported and endorsed the series by previously offering to privately chat with the ultimate winner.

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet.

Are you interested?

I am hoping very much that this all sounds exciting! If interested, I would need you all to name one representative to play on your community's behalf. How you decide this representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next week (until April 4th). Following this, you will have an additional two weeks to decide your nominee (until April 18th). Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

When deciding your nomination, please consider the following: You should of course be aiming to send one of your best players. But more importantly this individual needs to be able to participate adequately in terms of activity. Be prepared for at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage 10+ posts per day phase. I repeat: These games will be active.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.
• 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.
• 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.
• 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The first Qualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

I can link to the setup if a link is okay.

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

I cannot for the life of me afford the time for something like this, but if one of you guys wants to carry the WWN flag I think it would be pretty cool!
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Would you like to represent WWN in a multi-site mafia tournament?

Postby HPD » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:14 am

500 posts per 24 hours

Uhh no thanks
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Postby Narts » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:34 am

Maybe bonesy will have the time for that

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:43 am

HPD wrote:500 posts per 24 hours

Uhh no thanks

Technically, I'm in a MafiaScum game (inb4 "traitor DX") and we're at 360+ posts in two days in-game -- meaning one month.
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Satel

Postby Satel » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:19 am

This is just too much. Do those guys think we have no jobs?
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Working man pk

Postby Working man pk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:27 am

I feel like it is my duty to bring the glory of the wwn meta to the rest of the world, but yeah, activity requirements are a bit much

Unless it's mostly crumpets I am good at that

scraggypunk

Postby scraggypunk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:38 am

how the fudge is there that much to say in a mafia game
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Sven

Postby Sven » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:42 am

imagine 40 mysteriouslads

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:10 am

Thank you, Linkman :)

With regards to the activity requirements, if it would be okay, I can link to the season 2 finale and you can try to get a sense of the pace.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:20 am

Feel free Thingyman.

(also there is no need to ask permission to do these things, enjoy yourself! :D)
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:39 pm

mr thingy

i am totally interested in your games if for nothing else but the idea of breaking the ice by asking "hey everyone what side of the atlantic ocean do you live on?" but i only have about 4 hours of life which i could possibly devote to this on monday through thursday, and in that 4 hours that would have to compete with my significant video game addiction

to be perfectly honest, it is not the posting that is a problem, i can easily post 10 posts in the span of 5 minutes, it is the reading of the posts that would get me, see, i am not very good at paying attention to people other than myself

however the idea of 40 mysteriouslads is suitably horrifying enough that i still maintain a sliver of interest despite my reservations so please, post your link
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:23 pm

I'm in
Definitely

I've handled a 4000 post day 1 before so this isn't anything too large if nobody else wants to join.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Also I'm guessing MS denied again because "other site advertisement" thingyman?

Wait, wait, wait.

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:33 pm

MysteriousLad wrote:Also I'm guessing MS denied again because "other site advertisement" thingyman?

They haven't gotten back to me yet. Last year, we ended it on a note of "maybe next year". I remain hopeful :)

Here's a link to the season 2 finale, which had 13 players: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/thr ... hip-Finale

That wasn't the most active game last season, but it's just to give you a sense of what types of posts and how long they are etc. to expect. If you read through that and feel that you could manage being in a game like that, you will probably be fine.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:47 pm

That setup was basically just a mountainous vanilla with the chance of things snowballing in the town's favour if the cop gets lucky.

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:02 am

All in favour of Mysterious Lad representing WWN say aye?

AYE

Sven

Postby Sven » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:16 am

skip vote put him in already

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:21 am

Someone make an avatar containing everything WWN

Wait, wait, wait.

scraggypunk

Postby scraggypunk » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:39 am

art
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Narts

Postby Narts » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:04 am

Ah, rules against time stamp metagaming.

This truly is professional mafia.

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Postby monkymeet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:51 am

damn this is some hardcore crumpets

though wwn is such a small site. its actually kind of a wonder that someone was able to find this website through something not-AW related
imageshack swallowed up my sig. This is a placeholder.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:59 am

ML is our man. Give 'em hell.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

hawkesnightmare

Postby hawkesnightmare » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:40 am

HPD wrote:ML is our man. Give 'em hell.

Literally, if at all possible.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:10 am

MINDGAMES?

Wait, wait, wait.

Satel

Postby Satel » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:22 am

MINDGAMES FOR WWN
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Postby Bonesy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:14 am

Narts wrote:Maybe bonesy will have the time for that

lol nope

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 pm

MagnificentLad iz best WWN! Glory to MagnificentLad, the Illuminati and pasta! :D
MysteriousLad be like:
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:13 am

Apparently we need a bio. We need something about me and if anyone has any good ideas we could do that. Write a paragraph about how awful I am or something.

Wait, wait, wait.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby HPD » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:37 am

It's more fun to write a bit about WWN, I think.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:45 am

I don't know if that's allowed, if so then we should definitely do that.

Wait, wait, wait.

Sven

Postby Sven » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:52 am

mysterious lad is mysterious no one knows about him the end

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:57 am

The youngest member of a dying clan of strategists.., he can scheme.., he can bluff.., MYSTERIOUSLAD!

Good luck though.

Airnike

Postby Airnike » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:02 am

Use my sig as your bio.
MysteriousLad be like:
I am MysteriousLad.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Wed May 04, 2016 6:30 am

The game we've been scheduled into starts next month. There's a spectator Skype group which I can add people to, it's full of random people from random forums right now but as more games start discussion will increase. My Skype name is wegeurts.

Wait, wait, wait.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Fri May 06, 2016 11:48 pm

Man this is taking a long time to get started

Pkdragon

Postby Pkdragon » Sat May 07, 2016 2:01 am

it's also a lot bigger in scale than our normal mafia games

makes sense
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

MysteriousLad

Postby MysteriousLad » Sat May 07, 2016 3:51 pm

They also schedule all euro games months later, racism I say. Three have already started.

Wait, wait, wait.

Dragonite

Postby Dragonite » Sat May 07, 2016 7:46 pm

It's not like you haven't got experience with that here.

Return to “You are at a dead end of a dirt road. The road goes to the east.”