Mafia 51 signups (pick your poison)

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Terragent

Mafia 51 signups (pick your poison)

Post by Terragent » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Okay, so signups here. But also choices for people!

I'm inclined to run one of two rulesets for this game. The first is pretty much as plain as can be: one cop, one doctor, one vigilante, mafia numbers tailored for the total players, no special mafia roles. If most of our potential players want it, that's what they'll get.

The alternative will (hopefully) give some variation to the town rules: all of functions of the town roles are decided by an anonymous & secret vote of all living townies - each night phase, every town player will need to vote on how each of the functions work.

• Instead of a doctor, the townies will each night vote on who to protect. A simple plurality is sufficient, majority is not required.

• Instead of an inspector, the townies will vote on who to investigate. As with protection, a simple plurality will suffice. The result of the each night's inspection is given to a random town player (re-randomised on each occasion).

• Instead of a vigilante, the townies will vote on whether or not to perform a one-shot night kill; this vote will consist of a YES or NO, plus the name of a player to be targeted in the event that YES wins (players voting NO may still nominate a target). Unlike the other actions, the night kill requires an absolute majority of YES votes in order to proceed.

• Once this happens, there will be a second round of voting, where the townies are presented with a list of every player nominated that night and must number them in descending order of kill priority - these will then be resolved via optional preferential voting: players will be removed from the target list from the bottom up, with preferences reallocated at each removal until either a majority is reached or all remaining candidates are tied (in which case the death will be resolved randomly from amongst the tied candidates).

• Once this kill has been resolved, the victim will be announced along with the a full (anonymised) account of the vote preferences; the kill power will no longer be available for future votes - the town only gets one nightkill.

Public debate over the coming night's votes is encouraged (though obviously the mafia will be able to participate).

Please sign up (along with expressing a preference for vanilla, hivemind, or either)!

I'm aiming for two turns a week (night phases included), but this might slow down over the Christmas/new year period, since I can imagine people are more likely to be distracted.

Signups
Dragonite
Linkman
Scraggypunk
HPD
Bonesy
Satel
PK
Hawke
Airnike

Rules preferences
VANILLA: 3
WEIRD: 5

Dragonite

Re: Mafia 51 signups (pick your poison)

Post by Dragonite » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:13 pm

In.

Might prefer regular mafia to get the rust out jar get a few people back before we attempt complicated setups. It sounds interesting though.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:29 am

In, prefer new and exciting setup.

The vigilante rules are slightly weird, but I'm willing to try them out.

Something to consider is: public vs secret vote? Public ballots make for more deception and open play, which is good for game liveliness.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:16 am

yeah
+weird rules
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:14 am

in

DEMOCRACY rules
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:06 am

My intention is for secret voting with public (but anonymised) results. If we have public voting then it will create problems (if the Mafia aren't allowed to vote then that will blow the game instantly, if they are but we ignore what they vote for then the results can still be used to track them down, if they're allowed to vote and their votes count then that's way too powerful).

The idea behind the preferential voting for the vigilante kill is to make it so the least-hated people are more likely to survive - i.e., in a simple first-past-the-post system with eight voters, someone could get killed with only two or three votes, even if they're someone that the majority of voters don't want killed. I'm actually not sure why I limited the voting options to three - I'll revise the rules so that people will be able to preference every single kill candidate. I'll edit in an example round of voting to give you an idea of how it might proceed.

EXAMPLE VOTING THING (spoilered for space)
Hidden Text
These votes are all private.

Civilians:
HPD votes NO, nominates Treed
Sven votes YES, nominates Dragonite
MysteriousLad votes YES, nominates McTool
Scraggypunk votes YES, nominates HPD
Treed votes NO, nominates Dragonite
Satel votes YES, nominates Scraggypunk
Kireato votes NO, nominates McTool

Mafia:
Dragonite doesn't get a vote.
McTool doesn't get a vote.

The results of the vote are then published in the topic, so:
The town has agreed to perform a vigilante killing by four votes to three. The kill nominees are:

Treed
Dragonite
HPD
Scraggypunk
McTool
Each of the town players (including those who voted against performing a nightkill) would then submit a vote on who to kill. Let's say we have the following ballots:

HPD's ballot wrote: 1. Treed
2. Dragonite
3. McTool
4. Scraggy
5. HPD
Sven's ballot wrote: 1. Dragonite
2. Treed
3. HPD
4. McTool
5. Scraggy
MysteriousLad's ballot wrote: 1. McTool
2. Dragonite
3. Treed
Scraggy's ballot wrote: 1. Dragonite
2. HPD
3. McTool
4. Treed
Treed's ballot wrote: 1. Dragonite
2. McTool
3. HPD
4. Scraggy
5. Treed
Satel's ballot wrote: 1. Scraggy
2. McTool
3. HPD
4. Dragonite
5. Treed
Kir's ballot wrote: 1. Scraggy
2. McTool
3. Treed
4. HPD
5. Dragonite

Note that some of these do not contain every player - they are still valid votes. Some votes also don't have that player's kill nomination at the top of the ballot, and that's also entirely okay - people are allowed to change their minds on who they think is most kill-worthy! A last-place vote is almost always identical in effect to not voting for someone. These ballots would resolve so:

First Round
First we tally the first-preference votes:

Treed: 1
Dragonite: 3
HPD: 0
Scraggy: 2
McTool: 1

HPD has no first-preference votes, and is excluded from the ballot immediately. This leaves Treed and McTool with the fewest first-preference votes; McTool is randomly excluded and ML's vote now goes to Treed:

Treed: 2
Dragonite: 3
Scraggy: 2

Treed and Scraggy are tied; we randomly exclude Scraggy and redistribute Satel' and Kireato's votes. McTool and HPD are already excluded, so Satel's vote goes to Dragonite and Kireato's vote goes to Treed:

Treed: 3
Dragonite: 4

We now have a majority of votes for Dragonite and he is killed.
There's a bit too much randomness in it for me to be entirely comfortable with it (mostly because low voter numbers make ties at the bottom of the preference order very likely), so I'm open to suggestions for tweaking it; in principle we could instead simultaneously exclude *everyone* who's tied for least-preferenced, for instance - or we could perhaps give YES voters a vote worth 1.5 rather than 1 to reflect their greater conviction.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:29 pm

i suggest we use an electoral college voting system
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Pkdragon wrote:i suggest we use an electoral college voting system
Too bad, you get to use the Australian Senate Voting system.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:45 am

vanilla, i'm boring

Satel

Post by Satel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:58 am

in, no matter what style, idc
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 am

jokes aside i'm in but this is going to be a minimum effort game for me. i don't have the energy for anything more than voting.

i'm going to be boring as well and say vanilla, mostly because it should be the one that requires the least time investment
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:11 pm

I'm back and I want to play. I'm down for weird/hivemind rules.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:39 am

/in as long as it's weird, anarchy (praise Lord Helix), or whatevers. Hivemind sounds cool, reminds me of the True Cop Mafia I never hosted.
Grasp the truth! Hold it high!
Thrust your fist, that's how you're supposed to use it!
You must've heard it, go!
Don't be afraid to look yourself in the eye!
Big Blast Sonic, that's my heart beat anew!
—from Big Blast Sonic

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:31 am

so just nine folks? Jeez wwn that's what's left of you :(
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 am

jobs n crumpets man

it's sad but unavoidable I think
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:58 am

I'm lurking around, but I'm in no state for mafia right now.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:21 am

Aw.. Well, let us know should you change your mind.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:39 am

HPD wrote:jobs n crumpets man

it's sad but unavoidable I think
pretty much

even pk has a regular job by now, we've officially grown up

for the record i've got the intention of keeping this a drama free game. no scapegoating meme-victims, no massive wall of texts (j/k i can't promise this), no posting of my ever evolving pkleaks brand even though i don't actually leak anything, and i'll try to avoid posting my vote rationale to ensure that i don't reason myself into any corners

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Same - there's the fact that I'll be modding another game elsewhere and naturally giving it priority over this one.
Grasp the truth! Hold it high!
Thrust your fist, that's how you're supposed to use it!
You must've heard it, go!
Don't be afraid to look yourself in the eye!
Big Blast Sonic, that's my heart beat anew!
—from Big Blast Sonic

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:15 am

Am I now the only non-grown up person remaining?
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:50 am

You cannot resist us ML. Soon you will join the horde.

Aaand basically acting like a teen again seems to be optional though. Without a new game bringing teens in this is what eventually happens yeah. I've been here for over nine years now, but I was slightly behind most other regulars in age when I was joined up(at least back then that difference was relevant).

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:13 pm

im jobless but no net at home still so yeah

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:56 am

well at this point i guess it's gonna be nine.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:23 am

Yeah, we're not getting any more people in here so let's just start.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Yep. Role PMs have been sent, mafia are set up for private discussion. If anyone has any questions, put 'em here or PM me.