Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Town wins on Day Four)

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Pkdragon

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Day Three)

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:13 am

Two mafia, it's in the first post. So we have some wiggle room.

So if we lynch linkman and he was to be innocent, you could nightkill me and get a mafia out of it. That won't happen, but since you don't know that for sure, feel free to consider it as a backup plan : )

As for who we should investigate, I think the main options are Dragonite, Hawke, and Scraggy. I can dig investigating Scraggy of the three- I want to investigate you soon, Dragonite, but I think Scraggy is more aggressive with the lynches, and so it'd be nice to know where those are coming from.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:34 am

Pk has a good plan. Even if we wrongly lynch Link, (6 players left), we could try to kill Pk, or lynch him if that doesn't work, at which point there would be 5 players, with the vote ideally being 3 to 2. In an ideal situation, Linky is mafia, leaving 5 town and 1 mafia, which is a ton of wiggle room for the rest of the game. Lynch Linkman.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:56 am

With seven players remaining, four votes is an absolute majority.

Linkman was lynched. He was Mafia.

The day has ended - please send me your night actions before 0830 UTC on Wednesday the 19th.

For the record, votes at the end of the day were:

Linkman: 4 (PKDragon, Bonesy, Scraggypunk, Hawkesnightmare)

scraggypunk

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Night Three)

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm

i'm always aggressive with lynches
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Sorry about this, I didn't play with much heart :(
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Satel

Post by Satel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:19 am

Eh, I don't think it would've mattered a lot in there. Guilty pings are undeniable here.

I want to say that voting scraggy on the account of being more aggressive is kinda stupid because that's the way she plays, whether town or mafia.

I'm not sure of who I want to investigate just yet. Right now I trust pk and that's it. I'm not sure about scraggy and hawke, but I think checking on scraggy or even dragonite can wait.
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:31 am

my reasoning wasn't so much "she's aggressive so she's suspicious", it's more like "she's aggressive, she's likely to throw out votes, she has good hunches, so we might as well be sure of her identity before following said hunches"

i haven't voted yet so if you have a better option i'll hear it
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 am

Hey, it was my idea first. :<

I agree with the way you put it here though. Her track record isn't that bad, but since she isn't wall of text prone I usually can't get a proper read on her most games.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:22 am

don't really want to ghost post but you guys shouldn't keep discussing night actions after the day ended
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 am

I agree.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:04 am

are we not allowed to?

it's a little different than normal mafia, where the town doesn't collectively have anything to do at night

that's really something that should be stated if it's going to be a hard rule

and if it's not a hard rule ghosts shouldn't worry about it >: D

investigating hawkes tonight

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:57 am

I like to chat at night when bored, but I try to steer away from revealing new information or plans. In the context of the game, discussing any new ideas for night actions is broken, which is why I didn't lynch Linkman. He was doomed by deadline anyway, so Hawke jumped the gun a bit by finishing him off, leaving lose ends about night phase. I don't blame Hawke for agreeing with HPD, but it's something he could have avoided.

Satel

Post by Satel » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:33 am

Not gonna say anything relevant.

I just think that not posting anything at all during night phases might just kill the activity. It's already bad enough as it is.
On the other hand, it can get really broken if night phases end up being an extension of the next day phase.

(Says the one that talked strategy right after the day phase ended...)
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:58 am

My only reasoning for not particularly wanting chatter during the night phase is because it potentially breaks the RP of people supposed to being asleep. However I could also see in the context of this particular game the hivemind being able to share thoughts at all times. Either way works for me.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:05 pm

yeah my logic is definitely that i can check this topic ~twice a day and everyone else seems to be at a similar schedule, so i feel like the extra bit of nighttalk wouldn't exactly break things and if it brings more activity thats not bad

besides in the past when people were quiet during the nights that just meant that there was a flurry of PM talk

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:50 pm

i'm going to have to drop out. My laptop charger croaked, there's about 30 minutes left of power, and I won't have a replacement cable for the working brick i do have until the middle of next week at the earliest.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:55 am

I'm sorry to hear that, Bonesy! For now I think we can afford to keep you in as a dummy player, at least.

Satel has been killed by the Mafia. He was a civilian.

Day four has begun a little late, and I will not be available over the weekend - as a consequence, you've all got extra time for this day phase - until 0830 GMT on Monday the 23rd, to be precise. The day will still end prematurely if a majority lynch vote is reached, but I won't be able to process the results etc until Monday.

Dragonite

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Day Four)

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:55 am

Okay, results. Hawkesnightmare is innocent. Also, Satel died, which counts him out.

PK is responsible for bringing down Linkman. Of the active players, that leaves me and Scraggy. Scraggy lynched Linkman, but but he was doomed by inspection result.
Bonesy might be mafia, since if both day and night phase last their longest, he might make it to use his action. Still somewhat of a stretch. A very long night phase would blow his cover at this point though(or Terr decides to randomize the kill). The moost rational course of action is Lynch Scraggy..

Satel

Post by Satel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:07 am

Kinda mad about dying but I did what I could.

Go town, you can do it!

st3rn fudge st3rn

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 am

Dragonite wrote:Okay, results. Hawkesnightmare is innocent. Also, Satel died, which counts him out.

PK is responsible for bringing down Linkman. Of the active players, that leaves me and Scraggy. Scraggy lynched Linkman, but but he was doomed by inspection result.
Bonesy might be mafia, since if both day and night phase last their longest, he might make it to use his action. Still somewhat of a stretch. A very long night phase would blow his cover at this point though(or Terr decides to randomize the kill). The moost rational course of action is Lynch Scraggy..
Pk received inspection results, which means he cannot be mafia.
Dragonite received inspection results, which means he cannot be mafia.
Dragonite's results prove I am not mafia.
Bonesy was inspected but results were given to a dead man.
Scraggy is completely unknown.

There is no way to lose this game. Lynch one of the unknowns, nightkill the other if the lynch is a miss. Lynch Scraggy.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:Bonesy was inspected but results were given to a dead man.
Am I missing something? Because while Satel did die, he pretty clearly confirmed Bonesy's role why he was alive:
Satel wrote:I've got the inspection results: Bonesy is innocent... for whatever that's worth.
Seeing as Satel has been proven to be innocent through his death, that makes Bonesy innocent by extension. If I missed something where Satel admitted that was just a fakeout, please alert me.

So then we have Dragonite and Hawke. At this point in the game, the situation is desperate enough that I can see mafia throwing out a fake inspection, and fake inspecting an innocent result is the only sane move that won't get them in trouble.

That said, if Dragonite is civilian, then Hawke is innocent. If Dragonite is mafia, then Hawke is innocent because there's only one mafia left. So Hawke is definitely confirmed civ. So by my count, that leaves Dragonite and Scraggy as the suspects. So shoot one nightkill the other applies here, but I'd say Dragonite should be the nightkill, not Bonesy.

I'm not going to apply my vote until we have a consensus on what to do during the night, but I definitely agree with the general idea here.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:59 pm

I forgot Bonesy was confirmed..

If scraggy turns up innocent, we need to know if a nightkill loses us the game. Because if Scraggy is innocent, PK is the only possible mafia. Probably it's Scraggy anyway, but got to plan..Beem thinking about it, and in the worst case a nightkill results in a double civ death and the game ends. So does seem like a bad idea. Inspection is unreliable because Bonesy.

Let's hear Scraggy out, we're in a sour spot if we mislynch, but she's the least risky option.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:32 am

It's certainly a possibility that I'm a mafia, but in my defense,it would have been a really bad idea.

Sacrificing Linkman would have been a sketchy idea even in the best situation, but if I had been fakeclaiming an inspection result and someone else got the real result and claimed it, then 2 of the three people involved in that situation would have been mafia. It would have been really easy to kill one claimer, nightkill the other, then kill Linkman today. While there was certainly a chance I could have made it out of that situation alive, the odds were really, really bad. This is of course assuming that there's even a chance that results can land in a dead player's hands (which I don't think was ever confirmed could happen).

Such a move would have been really stupid. So the chance I am mafia is about equal to the chance that I would bank on a mechanic that I'm not even sure exists in order to have a slim chance of not throwing the game. I know I have a bad reputation from past games, but I don't think it's that bad >_>

please tell me it's not that bad. :?

That said, doing a fakeclaim now is almost as risky, though the odds are certainly better by this point, especially because Bonesy's laptop is RIP. So I'm definitely more inclined to lynch Scraggy over Dragonite, but I don't think we should hold back from the nightkill- odds aren't particularly better if we don't nightkill and are left with Bonesy, 1 civ, and 1 mafia alive. this is assuming terr replaces bonesy for a round so that he can even vote, otherwise it's a draw. let's just end the game sooner rather than drawing it out, then.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 am

By how contrived it all gets, I'm 90% certain the remaining mafia is Scraggy. You had no reason to betray Linky, and no one else claimed a PM.

So in other words, town should win today. If I'm mafia, Hawke and PK still reach a 50% nightkill vote. Unless terr is nasty with requiring Bonesy for majority, it's over.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:20 am

ah, but have you considered: i'm not mafia
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 am

Well, gee, I'm not either. But the rest has been ruled out, since there's only one mafia left. Also, if I'm mafia, my PM would be fake, and somebody would have gotten it. I guess Bonesy could get it in theory if Terr was evil enough, but it's more probable it would have been send to you since he declared Bonesy a dummy, since the rest didn't mention getting one. And you didn't bring it up.

So tell me if you think I'm mafia, if you got a PM, and if so, about which player it gave a result?

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:57 am

Pkdragon wrote:
hawkesnightmare wrote:Bonesy was inspected but results were given to a dead man.
Am I missing something? Because while Satel did die, he pretty clearly confirmed Bonesy's role why he was alive:
Satel wrote:I've got the inspection results: Bonesy is innocent... for whatever that's worth.
Forgot Bonesy was confirmed as well. The rest of my post is accurate though, and that leaves only one unconfirmed: Scraggy. My vote stands.

MysteriousLad

Post by MysteriousLad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Secretly I'm the final mafia member. Orchestrating this entire game.
"i put on my robe and wizard hat" ~Pkdragon
"rocks fall everyone dies" ~HPD
Welcome to the optimistic world of WWN :D

And logic doesn't work on MysteriousLad... ~Kireato
Wait, wait, wait.

Organized crime is selling bagels on television? Since when? ~Dragon Fogel

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:38 am

Oh snap
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:55 am

well my head currently really hurts so i'm just going to

lynch scraggy

you're simply the most likely mafia

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:08 am

that's majority i think
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:37 am

Indeed it is. Now we just wait for Terr to tell us we were idiots and we missed something incredibly important.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 am

I probably should add Terr to facebook just for the instance I want to nag him about mafia..

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:43 am

He said he was going to be late this time around anyway. I'm in no hurry.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 am

Ah, that's true. My bad, I forgot. Fitting wait I suppose.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 am

Scraggypunk has been lynched. She was the last member of the Mafia.

Congratulations to the town! This was a rather wonky ruleset, on reflection, but I hope people enjoyed it anyway. I suspect that the inspections were just too powerful (since they couldn't be prevented and fakeclaiming was even more suicidal than it is in regular Mafia). Thanks for playing, everyone!

Dragonite

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Town wins on Day Four)

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Reporting inspection results also caused a semi confirmed innocent effect, since fakeclaiming is improbable. First game in a long time that was completely figured out before it ended.

Of course, going for HPD was a bad call, as it caused me to suspect her from the start. Airnike dying was also a mistake, as we mistrusted each orher. Linky being swamped in work didn't help either.

Up for another game soon, and maybe ML is feeling better now as well.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I guess it required a lot more meddling from the mafia and scraggy and I just didn't go too much into it. Gg town!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm

i fully admit i generally lose enthusiasm for a game when i'm mafia as i don't find it as interesting as sussing them out
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Yeah, this was definitely leaning towards the town- essentially we got a free semi-confirmed each day. While I think the mafia's kills could have been better, and maybe you could have swayed the town's inspection votes away from Linkman, but ultimately that was pretty hard to beat.

I think it would help if either the mafia could vote in the night actions, skewing the votes, or if the mafia could recieve the investigation results (or possibly both). That might make it a bit too tough in the opposite direction, but as it was mafia didn't have much of a chance.