Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Town wins on Day Four)

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

Terragent

Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Town wins on Day Four)

Post by Terragent » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Here we are, folks - another Mafia game. But this time, there's a twist!

This town has a weird hive mind; they're able to investigate, protect, and even perform a once-off night kill - but all of these abilities are manifestations of an unconscious collective. On one hand, this means that they can only act through blind consensus (nobody knows who voted for what, after all) - but on the other hand, the mafia can't remove these abilities by killing specific townspeople. Here's a quick review of the rules and setup:

Seven Hivemind townies
Each night, the town can collectively and secretly:
  • Vote to protect one player from nightkills
    Vote to investigate one player (result is given to a random townie)
    Vote whether or not to perform a town nightkill - if this vote succeeds then they vote on who is killed and can not use this ability in future turns
The town wins when all of the Mafia players are dead.

Two Mafia
Each Mafia player knows the identity and role of their Mafia partner. Each night, they can kill one member of the town by mutual consent.

The Mafia win when the number of living Mafia is equal to (or greater than) the number of living town players.

Each day, all players are allowed to vote on a lynch target; an absolute majority will prematurely end the day phase (this includes an absolute majority for "no lynch"). If an absolute majority is not reached at the expiration of the day phase, then the player with the most lynch votes will be lynched. Unlike the hivemind night votes, all lynch votes are public.

Each day has a time limit of 48 hours, each night has a limit of 24 hours - these tick over at 0830 UTC on every applicable day. The first day phase gets a little more time and will end at 0830 UTC on Friday the 6th of January unless ended prematurely by an absolute-majority vote on lynching.

If anyone has any questions then feel free to post in the signup topic or PM me.

The Players
Dragonite
Bonesy
PK
Hawke

The Dead
HPD (Civilian, killed by the Mafia on night one)
Airnike (Civilian, killed by the Mafia on night two)
Linkman (Mafia, lynched by the town on day three)
Satel (Civilian, killed by the Mafia on night three)
Scraggypunk (Mafia, lynched by the town on day four)

Game History
Day One: No Lynch
Night One: HPD killed by the Mafia
Day Two: No Lynch
Night Two: Airnike killed by the Mafia
Day Three: Linkman lynched by the town
Night Three: Satel killed by the Mafia
Day Four: Scraggypunk lynched by the town

scraggypunk

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Day One)

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 pm

the classic cartel of clowns are at it again i see

if we're going Vintage Taste then i suggest lynch hpd
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:16 pm

lunch with treed
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:13 pm

that sounds lovely
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:34 am

Feeling antsy today. Well, all for one, one for all.

On a technical note, we must made sure everybody realizes we've started.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:49 am

inb4 I get unanimously sniped by the blind kill vote

I can't be sure if I survive anything in this game, so let me get straight to the point. We should probably start working on a viable town strategy for this. Since we have to blind-vote on inspection and doctor, this is only going to work if we discuss this during the day phase and try to agree on something. If we get a good majority block going, this could be a very powerful tool. If we squabble too much among ourselves (with mafia kindling the fires), a town loss is pretty much guaranteed I think.

So, I think a good place to start would be to see what everyone thinks about a possible strategy. My initial idea would be to vote to inspect one of the more quiet people to pressure the mafia into showing themselves and protect a possible town leader who can keep the town together and on the right track. Dragonite, Linkman or Satel would be viable options for that, I think.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:02 am

seeing as how the result is given to a random person i don't think that's the best idea
wisdom

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:09 am

can't we also vote on who gets the results?
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:05 am

No, Terr said a random townie gets it. That's probably a larger problem then Terr intended or...

Do we have certainty mafia members won't get picked to receive inspection results? If not so, it's far to unreliable to plan around inspecting at all. If only townies get it, we simply need to ask for the inspection result to told the very next day(assuming we also know if the attempt bombs) The usual factor of the inspector painting a target on himself if he does so earlygame is absent. If the mafia decides to counterclaim, we may mislynch, but this reveals the false messenger to be mafia anyway.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 am

there's no way to verify a claim though? like since it's voted on, 4 vote for A, 2 vote for B, 1 for C and 1 for D then if someone says "ah the results reveal A is a townie" then everyone else can be like "but that's not who i voted for!" and all the lying that entails

i dunno seems like kind of a fudge
wisdom

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Mafia cannot receive inspection results.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 pm

I strongly suggest if we publicly talk about who to investigate that we don't actually decide on any one person. Actually, I don't really care who gets investigated, only that someone does, and they don't get killed right away due to the mafia knowing who is going to be investigated. I'm wondering whether it's better to settle on an array of people to vote on, say [Dragonite/Linkman/Satel/Bonesy] (I add Bonesy because in the past he's been hard to figure out), or to leave it entirely up to chance, everyone voting their heart, so that the mafia barely have a chance of sniping the investigated person.

If there were to be a tie in the investigation vote, that wouldn't invalidate the vote would it? Because that's my only worry with completely leaving it to chance.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:39 pm

cant vote me on day 1 i am too kawaii and uguu

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Well we have to now that you said it.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Ties for investigation and protection will be resolved randomly amongst the tied players.

Current lynch count:

HPD: 1 (Scraggy)

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:38 am

Protect Linkman
Inspect Satel
No Lynch
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:03 am

A option to consider is to investigate and protect the same person day one. Somebody else will die, but random projection working out early is bad odds anyway. Overconfidence kills, but thus setup seems breakable if we take full and transparent control of power roles early on. No time wasted finding out who has them and impossible to remove. Consensus is key to winning this game, and we should take caution not to end days before we have it.

On the other hand, if we mess up now day 1, the town will be powerless if we end up in a rift, since the mafia is a permament disruption block that will grow larger.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:09 pm

oh so you can do both investigation and protection the same night? that definitely makes things easier.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Yes, the town gets to protect, inspect, and vote on whether or not to nightkill every night - you don't have to choose between these options.

Note that while Linkman's formatted requests are pretty much correct. I will only accept protect/inspect/nightkill instructions that I receive via private message - players are obviously free to post stuff in-topic, but I won't honour those posts even if they don't send me anything privately.

Also, a reminder that we are a little less than two hours from the end of the day phase.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Welp that's the end of day 1. Final votes:

HPDL 1 (Scraggy)
No Lynch: 1 (Linkman)

One-all. Dear lord.

Coin flip decides on No Lynch - and with that the first day is over. Please send me your night actions! Mafia, it's just the usual choice of nightkill.

Townies need to provide the following:

• an inspection target
• a protection target
• whether or not they want to nightkill, and:
• regardless of the above vote, a candidate to be nightkilled in case there's a majority YES vote for nightkills.

24 hours to get this stuff in.

Dragonite

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Night One)

Post by Dragonite » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:46 pm

You sure you aren't being optimistic with how long day phases should last? You know how sluggish the forum is.. at least warn of that danger before a time we are blindsided, especially since we spend all of it being sure how to
play under these rules.

Anway, if that's day 1 wasted, so be it.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:00 pm

oh hey it's already over? I only had time to make a single post :/

also dodged a random 50/50 chance of death there, wow

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:15 pm

Damnit, this game is fast!

I'll be listening to my heart only. Also, Linkman's "heart" is full of crap. HE IS INFESTING OUR SUPER HIVEMIND TOWN KILL HIM QUICK PLZ
MysteriousLad be like:
Oh hello, I am MysteriousLad.
Do you know when I was an OP player? When I wasn't in WWN and massclaims were legit good? Yea I miss the days I could force town to claim, rout out the mafia, and win the game for free day 3. Sometimes without being killed!
Senpai HPD notices me everyday when I'm town, do no scum play, and still get lynched day 1.
Anyway, it's time to go and ask people to claim and go lynch those who don't with my high-skill OP role.
I am MysteriousLad.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:22 am

ah right aussie time zones

RIP

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:24 am

HPD wrote:oh hey it's already over? I only had time to make a single post :/

also dodged a random 50/50 chance of death there, wow
You're welcome.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

hawkesnightmare

Post by hawkesnightmare » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Pkdragon wrote:ah right aussie time zones

RIP
Well, British time Zones. Everything is going by UTC/GMT.
daisy: If the UK is worse than the present #5 in the world in terms of GDP come July 1st 2018 I will dye my hair pink.

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:03 pm

i may need to drop out and give my role to someone else, i just noticed the day/night cycle times and I totally missed voting

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:50 pm

On reflection, I agree that the durations might be a bit punishing; if nobody opposes I'll increase the day/night cycle durations to three/two days respectively. I mostly just wanted to be sure it didn't drag on forever >_>

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:08 pm

that would be great

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:38 am

Dragon mafia forever. No objections.

Satel

Post by Satel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:19 am

the game has decided hpd must stay alive

not sure how to interpret this
Joey wrote:i think i was mad at certain players and wanted to wave st3rn's success in their face at the most opportune moment, or something

st3rn fudge st3rn

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:59 am

yeah i agree that an extra day would be helpful.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 am

i am pro more time, for wwn truly embraces the world part of our acronym and is an international community
wisdom

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:33 am

On a tactics note, pretty much spew out your preferred course of night action every time you can check, otherwise we might end up with chaos again since we lack info on each others intentions.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:47 am

this is a good plan

unfortunately it's still night phase

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:07 am

just vote to protect and investigate the same person and things should work themselves out

( i mean if we can come up with a better plan we should do so but i'm still not 100% sure telling the mafia what we're going to do each night is the smartest idea)

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:37 pm

isn't that how a normal game of mafia works anyway
wisdom

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:16 pm

HPD has been killed by the Mafia. He was a civilian.

The town voted against nightkilling.

Day two begins now! Deadline is 0830 GMT on Wednesday the 11th of January.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Day Two)

Post by HPD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:49 pm

sure, yeah, why not

Dragonite

Re: Mafia 51: Hivemind edition (Day Two)

Post by Dragonite » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 am

Okay, we know some sort of inspection is likely to have gone through(I think ties are resolved randomly) so there should be some information to be gained for that.

Last night, I attempted to protect and inspect myself, since I had nothing to go on, and the only thing that was really discussed was validating a town leader. With some luck, perhaps others did.

PK, we have no choice to be open about our actions. Take my gamble to inspect myself. Maybe it went through but... if somebody vouches for me, how can we know we're not a pair of mafia trying to bluff? We're not 100% sure what actually was done last night, and so during the day phase we have the difficult job of piecing that together, while we have people actively hindering this process.

As for my actions, going to inspect and protect myself again, unless more information or a more viable plan emerges. PK is looking somewhat fishy by trying to undermine open play, but that could be genuine with these weird rules. So don't take it personal but.. Lynch PK. I'm sorry, but HPD almost died yesterday tanks to a lack of voting, so yeah. This.