Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Important Information might go in this first post as I see fit.

Terr's Accounting Spreadsheet


Map of the Caves:

Image

Map of Outer Keep:

Image


Hirelings:
Hidden Text
Murgen: hired by Valerie
HP: 6 AC: 7 Morale: 8 (+1 due to being a bear)
Polearm: +1, 1d10 + 1
2 Bear Claws: +0, 1d4

Hector: hired by HPD
HP: 3 AC: 8 (Leather) Morale: 8
Short Sword: +1, 1d6 + 1
Crossbow: +0, 1d6

Table of Contents
Day 1, Early Afternoon (Entering The Keep)
Day 1, Afternoon (Exploring The Keep)
Day 1, Afternoon Part 2 (Party Planning)
Day 2, Sunrise(The Journey To The Caves)
Day 2, Morning, Turn 1 (The Thickets of Chaos)
Day 2, Noon (Return to the Keep)
Last edited by Pkdragon on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:02 am, edited 14 times in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Day 1, Early Afternoon
9th Day of Sunhearth, Summer

You have traveled for many days, leaving the realms of man behind, and entering into the wilder areas of the Borderlands. Farms and towns have become less frequent, and travelers few. The road has climbed higher as you enter the forested and mountainous country. At last, however, you see it- ahead, atop a sheer walled mount of stone, lies the great KEEP!

To the west is the great river Shrill, and beyond that river, to the southwest looms a rather large hill. There are fishermen huts along the river, in the shadow of the keep's mountain of stone. The road you are following continues to the east, but a road splits off from it and leads north, up the mountain to the Keep. It is that road you take, if for no other reason but to resupply.

Image

(A dashingly presented visual aid. I have also marked the general direction of the caves of chaos, for those who heard rumors of the place.)

You now move up a narrow, rocky track. A sheer wall of natural stone is on your left, the path falling away to a steep cliff on your right. There is a small widening ahead, where the main gate to the Keep is. All along the wall, you see curious faces looking down at you- eager to welcome new champions of Law, but ready with crossbow and polearm to give another sort of welcome to enemies. The gate is guarded by moat and drawbridge, a drawbridge which is currently up.

The blue-clad men-at-arms who guard the entrance shout down at you:

"Travelers! State your names and your business here, if you wish to be allowed into the Keep!"

And at this point, you are free to respond how you will, introducing your characters. If anything is unclear (and there will be things that are unclear), feel free to ask questions! I've tried to keep this simple and easy to digest. Take your time, as it will likely be 14 or so hours before I am next able to respond b/c life.

one last note: I've used quite a bit of text from the original module here, this normally would be obvious from my voice, but in text I feel the need to cite that some of the text here is my own, some of it is Gygax's, D&D is weird like that.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Hanzo, the Thief, steps forth.

"Hanzo at your service! I am the peerless tactician and master of martial arts you may have heard of. I traveled across perilous seas from my homeland in the far east in search of opportunities to prove my worth as a warrior. I have lent my bow to the service of this party of adventurers, who will bear witness to my deeds."

He steps aside and nods at the next member of the party to speak.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Rowan, the Fighter, glances up at the gatehouse. Figuring that it might be a while before the gate is opened, he shrugs his gear to the road before gesturing at two of his companions: a tall, thin elf and a golden-haired woman in black and red armour.

"My name is Rowan. These two brought me along in case they ran into the kind of trouble that calls for a strong arm. You'll not hear about me so long as they're safe and welcome here."

With a shrug, Rowan drops his gaze and waits for someone else to speak their piece - but then catches himself and adds: "unless your cellars have anything choice in them. Or your larders. Never know where you'll find something interesting."

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Sakura, timidly hidden behind the men, quietly awaited her turn to speak.

"My name is Sakura. I, um... serve as a healer." She ended her sentence with a slight bow. She was sure she sounded and looked very unconvincing, but stepped back wordlessly as she hated the feeling of the guards' inquisitive gaze.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Valerie does a big wave and shouts, "Hoi there, the name's Valerie! I consider myself a scholar of sorts, though I am a cleric by trade. We'd like to come inside!"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 am

The guards seem suitably impressed with Hanzo's entrance, nodding approvingly, but it is when the cleric introduce themselves that the guards seem to really take note. One of the soldiers whispers to the other, and then yells down:

"A healer, and a scholar... and a cleric! We can always use all three of those things, but, Valerie, which deity do you follow, if you do not mind answering?"

(HPD, you may still post your introduction as if responding to the guards before they said this line, if that is more convenient.)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:32 am

She laughs and thrusts her arm up, pointing to the sun. "Why, the most important deity of them all! Bringer of life, light, and knowledge, Surya!"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:18 am

Acame puts on a jovial face and takes off his hat in a grand bow.

"Esteemed guards! My name is Acame of the Elvenkind. We mean no harm to your or your kin! We are but a band of adventurers seeking entrance in order to restore our supplies and ourselves after a long and hard journey through the countryside. Would you be so kind to grant us entrance, and perhaps show us where we can acquire lodging for the night?"
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:14 am

The guards brighten upon hearing the name of Surya, being a deity well aligned with their duties.

After Acame speaks, the guards reply:
"Understandable, good Elf, it must have been a long road to end up in these parts. We have heard enough. You will not have to wait long for your supplies, we think."

They disappear behind the battlements. A few minutes later, the drawbridge starts to lower, and the gate behind the bridge begins to raise. Once the drawbridge is set and the gate open, three men approach from the keep. Two of them are the guards who were shouting down at you, while a third man is older and evidently of higher rank, though with a somewhat gruff demeanor. The two younger guards wear chain mail and carry polearms, while the older guard wears plate mail and carries a sword and shield. He looks the party over with a solemn stare that borders on being a glare.

(I will post a visual aid when I get home)

The older guard begins to speak:

"Here's how it's going to go- we'll allow you to keep your weapons, but they'd better stay sheathed. No fighting within the keep. No thievery. No spellcasting, unless you're casting good, wholesome spells of light and life", and with this he nods to Valerie.

"Necromancy and the dark arts are forbidden entirely, as if it needed to be said. If you'd like to cast any other kinds of spells within the walls, you'll need a permit. You'll have to see the Castellan in order to get a permit, and you'll have to prove yourselves in order to the see the Castellan. That's just how things work here."

He nods at Acame. "As for your question, Elf, we'll be happy to show you to the Inn. After we get you registered. Any other questions? If not, follow me," he says, turning towards the Keep.

(One note- if you have no intention of responding to a prompt where response is optional like this one, let me know so that I don't hold things up waiting for you. Of course, even if you don't respond in words, you can still post your character's reaction to this!)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:17 am

During the walk, Acame draws Hanzo to the back of the group and whispers to him:

"Please make sure nothing goes 'missing' during our visit. This place doesn't seem to get too many visitors. It probably won't take them long to start pointing fingers if something happens, and then I'm sure we'd all get blamed for it in equal measure. We need these people right now, so we'd better keep on their good side."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:22 am

Valerie beams a toothy grin and gives a fingergun to the older guard's nod. When he turns around and starts walking into the Keep, she jogs up to walk next to him.

"Registration! What fun. Good to keep things orderly. Lots of records. Do you... have a record room? A library? Something like that? If so, may I look around?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:54 am

Hanzo follows the party, expressionless, only acknowledging the Elf with a short "Hm".

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:15 am

Sakura follows behind, occasionally getting distracted by remembering her home (or rather, how it used to be), but making sure she stays close to the rest of the group.

Seeing Valerie, Sakura inwardly cringed because she'd never just go and play that social game. Regardless, she figured Valerie might get something handy out of this, and that was enough for her to keep a smile.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:24 am

"Mmm. We are but a small outpost, so we do not have a library, at least not one for the general public. The Bailiff maintains the records of the outer bailey, that is, the section of the keep reserved for visitors... but his record room is dusty and his scrolls filled with legal jargon. The closest thing to a real library is probably the Castellan's private library... but once again, you will need to prove yourself in order to gain entrance to the inner keep." The older guard responds, more respectfully than in his previous speech.


Predictably, the guard leads the group across the bridge. The other two guards walk behind the party- not in a menacing fashion, but rather you get the impression this is simply how it is done.

The main gate consists of a gatehouse, flanked on either side by towers, both of which have men with bows atop them. Beyond the portcullis gate, there is a short tunnel- the walls of the tunnel have slits in them, the perfect size to allow arrow through. It is clear that it is much easier to enter the gatehouse peacefully than to try to take it by force.

It is this tunnel the guard captain leads you through.

(One note- there is no moat, I used the wrong word. The "Moat" is a deep crevasse in front of the gate. )

(Pausing for Terragent to get a chance before I continue.)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:42 am

Rowan is content to fall in with the company and matches their pace without speaking up.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:47 pm

Valerie laughs. "Oh, Captain! You're so loyal. I respect and admire that and will keep that in mind. But you, my friend! You're clearly an experienced fellow! Salt of the earth type, you must know the lay of land. Tell me, do you know anything about the Caves of Chaos?" She puts her hand behind her head and bends her finger, hoping to beckon Acame and Rowan over. "We're interested in that."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:19 pm

Seeing Valerie's gesture, Rowan advances in time to hear the captain ask Valerie where the party's interest comes from.

"We've business there, and I'd rather we all come back alive from it. I imagine a man in your position would know the lay of the land - entrances, dead ends, and the like. I'm sure you see plenty of the creatures that live there, too."

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:26 pm

I'll post a full post tomorrow when I've had some sleep, but in the meantime, this is about what the guard captain looks like:

Image

Something like that.

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow, so posting may be sporadic.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:17 am

Her interest piqued by the mention of "Caves of Chaos", Sakura's interest turns towards the conversation, despite not breaking her usual pace. She briefly glances around to see if Hanzo is piqued as well, but her attention is silently directed towards the conversation. If she didn't associate with Valerie, she could definitely be mistaken for an eavesdropper, or so she told herself in her head.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:19 am

Hanzo interjects in the conversation.

"Furthermore on the subject, what do you know about the great hill to the southwest? I heard there used to stand a monastery, a long time ago."

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:51 am

The guard captain flinches at the mention of the Caves. "Yes, we're well aware of the Caves, the place makes our work out here that much harder. A warren of evil creatures, about two and a half miles to the east of here, maybe a hour's travel on foot if you follow the road. It's dangerous work, but we're always grateful to anyone who thins out the bastards, not that I recommend it- there's a reason we haven't cleared the place out. Still... for people like your Hanzo, who are looking for glory in battle... There certainly might be something there for you." He rubs his chin.

Turning towards Rowan: "Valuable instincts there, good questions. I've only been there a handful of times, myself, but I can tell you that entrances aren't an issue- there's quite a few caves on the surface that are easy enough to find. Beyond that... it was a mess. Didn't have the time to take careful notes, because I spent most of the time running for my life. Wasn't glamorous, but I made it out alive, and so did most of my men."

"Honestly, the people in town can give you more details, if you ask around, and you should be able to find a guide who can show you the exact location. Quite a few of them are adventurers who have been trying to crack the Caves. Who knows, maybe you'll be the ones to pull it off?"

"As for the Hill, I don't know too much about that. We mostly stick to this side of the river Shrill, guarding the road. All I know is that it too is a dangerous area at the best of times, and these are not the best of times. There's an old-timer in the inn who seems to know a lot more about the hill. I will say this- if you want to cross over to the Hill, you should talk to the fishermen, they may be willing to row you across the Shrill... for a fee."

(More post coming, but I wanted to get this response posted early)

EDIT: edited to address Terr's post which I managed to miss!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 am

As you talk with the guard captain, you arrive at the other side of the tunnel. You enter into a fairly narrow alleyway of a road, in between the keep walls to the east, and buildings to the west- buildings that also have parapets on their roofs. To the north looms even more keep walls, leaving only the south, where the road bends around a corner. You can see another tower in the southeast corner, with a door that is lightly guarded with a single guard.

Image
The Entrance to the Keep

The road below you is paved with stone, and in the shadow of the gatehouse a tall, humorless man sits at a desk, quill in hand. The man is a scribe, who takes your names one by one, as well as some other basic info (race, general appearance, occupation, that sort of thing).

A worker exits one of the doors on the western wall, but upon seeing that the party has no horses, returns back into the building, which appear to be stables.

Finally, after everything is settled, the guard captain calls another guard in chain mail, and tells her to show you to the inn, before going back to his duties. She nods, and asks you to follow her, then begins walking south.

Fast-forwarding through these important but not super interesting details, but if you wish to interact with anything here you may, as it will be a some time before my next post!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:25 am

Hanzo gives his occupation to the scribe as "archer", rather than thief.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:35 am

Acame just goes with "Adventurer" and makes no mention of his family.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:32 am

"Well, friends! That's certainly a lot to take in. Ideas?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:58 am

"Ideas? We should explore this town for all its worth, but not dally for too long. Let us not get distracted by jesters, entertainers or peddlers of useless items. Remember the reason we are here."

Hanzo is a serious man, and not one to be distracted by amusements. He gives a brief, stern glance in the direction of Rowan, whom he suspects of having a weakness for such things.

"At some point, we should seek out the old-timer in the Inn, and inquire about the old ruins on the hills - I have a feeling it may be significant to our purpose here."

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:40 am

(Sakura only responds to the question about occupation with "I'm just a traveler, really...")

Sakura speaks in response to Hanzo, but stays relatively silent as not to grab the attention of other people — as though there was a danger the guard heard it. "I heard the hills around here were a dangerous area, so... maybe we shouldn't go..?"

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Day 1, Afternoon

This is a good conversation to have so don't stop on my account, but here's a bit more to work with...

The guide leads you around the corner, taking you to a square. There are nondescript buildings lining the south wall of the town, but there is also a smithy, a couple of shops that seem to be general stores based on their signs, and what appears to be a bank of some sort: "Tustvold's Lending". A road leads to the north, and another to the east. The square is not what you would call "bustling", but there are a few people walking around it- mostly traveler types and laborers. There seems to be a loud, animated discussion coming from inside the shop furthest away from you.

"This area where visitors can do their trading. If you continue traveling east to the fountain square, you'll find the inn and the tavern- can't miss 'em." your guard guide says.

"Also, the church of Surya is up to the north," she says to Valerie, bowing slightly, and then excuses herself, returning to the walls.

(Welcome to D&D, where a god created yesterday now has a church in the town. Surya's domains fit the bill for a local church.)

Image
Here is a basic map of the square. Doors are all facing the square.


---


At this point I'm going to turn you loose into the town. Feel free to investigate where you'd like, talk to who you wish to talk to. Feel free to go off the bounds of the map. I mentioned supplies, but I'll just be assuming you take care of that "off-screen", so to speak. Unless you want to haggle over the price of bread.

Town segments can end up going on forever, even in a town as small as the Keep, and it's going to be worse in a play by post, so feel free to at any time to make it clear you're done for the day, ready to leave town, etc. When you leave and what destination you travel to will need to be decided as a group, so you may want to talk about (Informally) how you're going to handle decisions like that: Leave it to a vote? Have one person be a "group leader" and make a final decision? Due to the time zone issues, I recommend using a method similar to that to avoid stalemates.

New players: You might want to gather information. You can ask specific people you meet information, but you can also attempt to gather information on a broad topic asking anyone you can find. If so, just tell me the general strategy you use and I will tell you what happens.
Last edited by Pkdragon on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Valerie puts her arm around Sakura. "Caution is a valuable trait, my demure friend! Dangerous hills, dangerous caves. A real sticky wicket! Acame here was telling me about a woman who is trapped inside the caves a few days ago. I'd love to help, but hearing at how precarious the situation is... hrmm. She might already be dead! Or, there is no woman! And it's a trap! Hmm, trickery. Nasty stuff."

She rubs her chin in thought for a moment.

"Oh ho! I've an idea. The rest of you, find out what you can!" She lets go of Sakura and chases off after the guide.
"Ms. Guard! Ms. Guard! Excuse me! Can you take me to the captain? I'd love to chat him up a bit more!"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:08 pm

For a split second, Hanzo is left holding his finger up with his mouth agape as if he was about to say something, but he smoothly transitions to sweeping dust off his shoulder.

"You heard what the cleric said. Scout out the town and look for clues, or anything of use. We are probably not in any danger, so may as well split up, but we should meet at the inn in an hour. Watch out for thieves and pick-pockets, though - this place may look honest and lawful, but scoundrels can be literally anywhere." The slightest smirk can be briefly seen crossing his face.

"You girl", he gestures at Sakura, "follow your cleric friend and relay this to her. At the inn, one hour."

Without waiting for debate or opinions, Hanzo walks in the direction of the commotion coming from the shop. He won't be sneaking around or hiding in shadows, but intends not to get involved, merely get close enough to find out what the discussion is about.

If the discussion turns out to be of no interest, he walks around the town judging the wealthiness of the people who live there. He expects the place to be poor, and although a thief he may be, he is not petty and not interested in the humble belongings of ordinary people. He's only after the richest loot. He pays attention to any adornments outside buildings and the kinds of clothes, armor, weapons and jewellery people wear. (But he's not going to steal anything. Unless I specifically confirm so)

He also looks at the walls of towers, the keep walls and taller buildings, and judges whether anything looks scalable to a thief. Particularly anything leading up to interesting looking windows or balconies of any sort.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 am

Oh I forgot one thing, should probably add, Hanzo also looks for signs of a local Thieves Guild, though he doesn't put much purchase in the possibility of such a thing existing in such a small town.

Regardless, he looks for people and establishments that he might recognise as being connected to the underworld.

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:15 am

"One hour... Yes.", Sakura answers Hanzo, not wishing to say anything out of line.

She immediately goes off and chases after Valerie. However, since Valerie is far ahead already, she instead goes straight for the goal and tries to find the captain.

"This is gonna be a quest of its own in there...", she thinks to herself, lost in the city.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:47 am

@Valerie:
The guide turns back towards Valerie, blinking. "Captain Borkish is likely in the Gatehouse, and is very busy. Visitors are not allowed within the Gatehouse, even esteemed Clerics of Surya. If you'd like me to deliver him a message, I can." She is polite, but firm.


@Sakura:
So you are trying to find the captain? Do you go in the direction of the gatehouse? Or are you well and truly lost, heading in a random direction?

- - -

@ Hanzo:
Do you actually enter the shop, or do you listen in from the outside? If you enter, you'll risk being drawn into the situation, whatever it may be, but there's no fail chance. If you listen, you can make a hear noise check (on a 1-3, instead of the usual 1-2) to get the exact details of what is going on. Otherwise you will get "the jist" of it. There are also small windows you can look through, in the front of the shop. None of this would look particularly sneaky or shady, provided you aren't stupid about it.

- - -

The Walls: All the walls of the Keep and even the buildings look like something you could climb with a Climb Walls check*, due to being made of stone. They'd be tough (not impossible, but tough) for someone not trained in scaling walls, but for a Thief, it's definitely doable. The bigger problem is that there are two guard towers watching this area of the keep- one to the southeast, one to the southwest, and there are guards looking down on the interior of the Keep from the tops of those towers.

The architecture of the keep is somewhat conservative, being made for defense. Windows are small and often barred, even on regular buildings. You did notice one window in the southeastern tower that looked like it could be squeezed through by someone with a lithe physique- someone like Hanzo. You also notice that the roof of the Smithy has parapets on them like the walls do, implying that it might be possible to get onto the roof from the smithy. Or inside the smithy from the roof.

In addition, the tops of the walls and towers are clearly possible to walk on, and it is extremely likely there are entrances into the interior of the towers from the roofs.

*and to be clear, none of that 3.X make a check for climbing every 10 ft nonsense. One dice roll, to see if you succeed or not.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:57 am

I'll listen outside, and look through the windows, pretending to be a window shopper.
Jugger wrote:@Narts, You rolled 3! (Total: 3)

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:34 am

"No visitors! You must get lonely! How dull, cooped up all day. Tsk tsk tsk. Isn't right. Enjoy the sun Surya provides! It's the best way to live. Well, when you can, please tell dear Borkish that I have a proposition for him! We can solve both our problems. Better to hash it out person to person though, so, summon him quickly, if you would! Off you go! Tell him to come to the inn!" She smiles and makes brushing motions with her hands.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:32 am

@Hanzo
Through the window you see a tall, lanky man wearing a foppish hat, who seems to be arguing with the shopkeeper. "You mean to question my reputation!?" the man in the hat yells.

The innkeeper, gritting his teeth, replies, "You have no reputation, Kugel. That's the problem. The map is amateurishly drawn, and even if it does lead somewhere, I have no guarantee any treasure that was there hasn't been plundered already. I can't sell this map."

"You wound me! If you will not purchase the map, then I will take the opportunity elsewhere!" Kugel replies, and after a minute more of last ditch haggling, he storms off and out of the door. He takes a moment to regain his composure, adjusts his hat, and looks around, likely for someone to sell his map to.

Does he see you?

This is primarily directed towards Hanzo, but can also be relevant for Acame and Rowan. This is an open question- but if Hanzo isn't seen, tell me what you do to prevent his attention being directed your way.

@Valerie:
"Yes, I can tell him that," this guard nods, and walks off. She seems unenthusiastic, but does seem to intend to deliver the message.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:46 am

At hearing the word "treasure", Hanzo sharpens, but he is not convinced by the man's performance at the counter. He seems too much of a charlatan, and Hanzo has seen plenty of those in his time. If the shopkeeper does not trust this peddler, then Hanzo has no need to either. He simply harrumphs and continues on his way, making no attempt to talk to this man, or be seen by him for that matter.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Valerie heads on over to the inn, singing to herself.
Last edited by scraggypunk on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:34 pm

As Hanzo and the clerics depart, Rowan turns to Acame. "The inn it is, then. I'm going to ask around about the lay of the land - maybe you could head there early and see what you can learn about the caves?"

Unless Acame has a specific request or instruction for him, Rowan decides to look for some off-duty guards and check how active the threats to the keep are - whether patrols are attacked, how often travelers are preyed upon by bandits or monsters, whether the keep itself has come under attack, and try to gauge how dangerous the countryside is and how well-resourced the keep's soldiers and administrators are.

If he has time to spare after pursuing this line of inquiry, he intends to take a look at the smithy and some of the provisioners in town (mostly window-shopping to get an idea of what they're able to provide), but he will do his best to be punctual and arrive at the inn within the time suggested by Hanzo.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Multivac [Bot] and 0 guests