Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

scraggypunk

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:16 am

Valerie follows Sakura's trajectory, running after her. "Ohnononononono... Murgen, kill this idiot!" She kneels down next to Sakura and sings her Cure spell, healing for Sakura for 6.

Murgen growls in anger and drives his polearm into the creature's mouth, killing it! Hooray!
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:32 am

Congratulations on earning a very hard fought first victory! The ogre was worth 36 XP each!

If that seems super small, it is. The real XP is the loot it was carrying...

Sakura wakes up, but it feels like her ribs are, well, a mess. You are unable to move without assistance, at least without hurting yourself. This will need to be seen by a skilled professional, or at least a high ranking member of a church, in order to determine how long it needs to heal.

Kugel pokes his head out from the pit. "Is... is... is it over?" He says in a small voice.

There is a cave that the ogre came from, still unexplored.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:36 am

Hanzo is impressed by Murgen's show of skill and strength. He knew bringing the bear was a good idea!

Although he is reluctant, at Valerie's urging, he picks up the ten-foot pole and attempts to shove the chest open. If he can't nudge the lid open using the pole, he pushes the chest down into the pit. He grunts at Kugel. "Get out of the way."

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 am

"Hey there, buddy. Welcome to the world of the living. That was pretty cool, what you did! We won! All thanks to you. You're very brave. You got rather beat up, though, so I'm going to need you not to move. Just lean against this tree that was kind enough to catch you and enjoy the shade, okay? We're going to check some things out then get out of here. The evil chaos can wait a bit, not worth losing you over it!"

Valerie gently pats Sakura on the head, then gets up and walks over to the ogre corpse, inspecting it for cool stuff.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:43 am

@Hanzo:
Kugel gets out of Hanzo's way, muttering something under his breath about how he should have set his fee higher. You are able to open the chest- being a wooden chest with no lock, you're able to catch the latch and push it up without having to push it into the pit. There is no trap, but assuming someone investigates it closer, it is sadly mostly filled with broken plates (as in, the dinnerware, not the armor.). The plates appear to be of exotic design and quality, however, and one of the plates has almost miraculously survived intact, with only a scratch or two. You're pretty sure the exotic plate could be sold for a decent sum, should you avoid breaking it on the way back.

Fragile items like this plate aren't necessarily going to break if you get hit in combat, unless you get crit like Sakura was. But long falls and other high impact injuries could certainly break them.

@Valerie:
The only item of note is the bear hide. It's not of amazing quality, having been used as armor, and really needs a good wash, but it IS a bear hide. The spiked club is too big for use by an ordinary human, and there is no piece of the club that looks particularly valuable. Otherwise, the ogre has empty pockets. Or rather, no pockets.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Narts

Post by Narts » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am

Hanzo turns the fancy plate around in his hand. He figures carrying something so fragile could hinder his ability to sneak around, so he hands it to Acame.

He looks over the huge corpse.

"Take the bear hide. We can use it as a stretcher to carry the wounded and the trader said he would pay for furs."

"It is probably best to return to the town and rest. But first I want to see what is inside this cave."

He approaches the opening carefully, while trying to see inside and listen for noises.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:54 pm

"Oh yeah, the trader! Excellent memory, comrade. Murgen, use the hide to carry Sakura, please."

He frowns.

"Oh, err, uh, yeah. Hm. Heh. Fair, that's fair, fair. Fair. Rowan, you do it."

She sheepishly jogs away from the situation and joins Hanzo at the ogre's cave. "Bet some interesting things will be in here! I'd love to find out how an ogre lives in the day to day."
wisdom

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:15 pm

"Think it might be better if we just stay put while you look around there. I'll make ready to leave while you're exploring."

Rowan kneels down beside Sakura and does his best to make a rudimentary stretcher - employing his axe on nearby branches, if necessary.

"When it comes to survival, I've learned that luck will carry people farther than skill - but you've had none of it today, Sakura. It was a brave thing you did, and we'll make sure you're properly looked after at the keep."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:29 pm

The ogre's cave smells. There are two rooms in the cave, an eastern one that seemed to serve as a bedroom of sorts, and a western one that served as a kitchen- or at least where it ate things. There are some large slabs of meat, raw, half eaten, sitting on the ground in front of a nook that seems to serve as a fire. There is a heap of old bones in the southern section of the cave.

It is worth noting that this cave is 100% natural.

In the eastern room there is a really large leather bag.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Valerie writes all that down, and makes a quick sketch of what Ogre Interior Decorating looks like. Afterward, she opens the bag!
wisdom

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Sakura would thank people for being taking care of her, but it's hard to speak and the pain is just too much, and she coughs over the first words she tried to say.

Unable to speak and pained enough to cry, she just grits her teeth and takes the pain the best she can. Really, the irony of being taken care of this hurts her just as much as the shattered ribs — okay, maybe not. Brothers, Orin... Is that what it felt like out there..? she thinks to herself as the tears come out. She tries to wipe her eyes to not worry the rest, even though the slightest movement hurts. She does her best to just lay down still.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Acame is feeling slightly nauseous at the sight of the dead ogre and refuses to go into the cave.

<OOC: sorry, not much time to post now, can do more once I get home.>
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:27 am

The bag is filled with 7 smaller sacks!

(Zelda treasure chest music starts playing...)

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 am

Allright, here's your real loot. Assuming you check out the sacks, here's what you find in each (sack numbers are arbitrary):

Sack 1: 287 silver pieces (or, to your characters, "a lot of silver")
Sack 2: A wheel of hard cheese!
Sack 3: 489 gold pieces (again, "a lot of gold")
Sack 4: 182 copper pieces
Sack 5: A small keg marked "Brandy"
Sack 6: 303 copper pieces
Sack 7: 289 gold pieces

Once you get back to town we can convert all of this to good ole' GP. But I think it's important you have an idea of *what* you're carrying around.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:14 am

"I've always liked you too, Surya. Haha!" Valerie closes the bag and hoists it out of the cave.

"Friends, I found a bag! It's full of treasure! And it somehow plays music!"
wisdom

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:43 am

OOC: Here's a spreadsheet tracking treasure found to date: https://goo.gl/W1x7kA - it also has some (approximate) accounting to track share sizes. Obviously doesn't have the sale values of any non-cash assets.

I can imagine that'll be a fair amount to lug back since gold is pretty heavy stuff!

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:58 am

It's a magic music playing bag, obviously everything in it is light as a feather.
wisdom

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:59 am

"Please make sure it doesn't jingle all the way to the keep. The sound of it has a tendency to attract bandits."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:06 am

Everything in the bag is definitely not light as a feather : ]

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:10 am

Hanzo kicks the old bones around a bit to see if there is anything interesting hidden under them.

If there's nothing he follows Valerie out and prepares for the return trip with the party.

He suggests they take the same exact route they came (through the previous thicket)

New formations due to Sakura being carried on a stretcher:

For the thickets:

Code: Select all

Front

1 2
  8 9

Rear

1 = Murgen
2 = Hector
3 = Rowan (carries Sakura)
4 = Hanzo
5 = Sakura (on stretcher)
6 = Valerie
7 = Picker (carries Sakura)
8 = Acame
9 = Kugel
For the road:

Code: Select all

|           |
|1         2|
|           |    | = sides of the road
|           |
|           |    1 = Hanzo
|           |    2 = Hector
|     3     |    3 = Acame
|           |    4 = Rowan (carries Sakura)
|     4     |    5 = Valerie
|   5 6 7   |    6 = Sakura (on stretcher
|     8     |    7 = Kugel
|           |    8 = Picker (carries Sakura)
|     9     |    9 = Murgen
|           |
|           |
Rowan is obviously one of the carriers due to being strong. I figure it wouldn't be appropriate to make Murgen carry a strecher made from the skin of his own kind. I'm not sure what Picker's STR is, but I figured since she's a soldier she's probably used to carrying stuff over distances.

If she (or Rowan) gets tired they can always switch with someone else.

The bags of loot can be divided among the rest of the party.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:12 am

Sakura is a 14 year old girl, I can't imagine she weighs much. Seems like a good plan.
wisdom

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:28 am

Narts wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:10 am
The bags of loot can be divided among the rest of the party.
"Yes to all but don't let Kugel carry significant amounts of gold or treasure," Acame whispers to Hanzo.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35 am

Valerie hands the bag of cheese to Kugel. "For your invaluable service as a pit hider inner."
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:20 am

Turn 5 Begins

In the bones, Hanzo finds quite few interesting items, hidden at the bottom. There are six well made arrows that seem to glow with power, a Cleric Scroll of Cure Light Wounds, an unidentified potion, and an unidentified Arcane Scroll.

The potion is blue.

Some fiddling with the six arrows will make it clear that they are +1 Arrows

---

On Unidentified Items: Magic items don't announce themselves. For most magical items, spending a turn playing around with them is enough to identify them- and trigger any ill effects. You can do this while traveling home. Using magical weapons /armor in battle is also good enough for me.

Exceptions: Potions need to be sipped to identify- this doesn't take a turn. An alchemist can help here, too. Cleric scrolls just need to be read by the cleric, so I won't hide their nature. Arcane scrolls require either the spell Read Magic or the Magic User/Elf spending a day of study+ an INT check. Once an Arcane scroll is identified, it can be cast at any time. Magical Arrows are so common I'm not going to waste your time and will just tell you if they are the basic +1, +2, + 3 variety.

TL;DR: Sip potions, leave Arcane scrolls to HPD + Dragonite. When in doubt, play around with the item for a turn.

Cursed Items exist, so I will never assume you are identifying an item other than arrows and cleric scrolls (If those are cursed, just handling them won't provoke the curse).

---

If you spread the sacks out, the encumbrance addition won't be significant enough to worry about.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:40 am

Hanzo is delighted with the magical arrows, and pockets them immediately in his quiver. All of them. In his mind he calls them "Storm Arrows"

He can't wait to get to test them in battle!

He brings the rest of the magical items to Valerie and Acame.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 am

"Another scroll of Cure Light Wounds! Fascinating. So this ogre was a Cleric? That's interesting. Maybe there's some artifacts of Ogre Religion in the cave!"

She runs back in and looks around in the "bedroom".
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:53 am

Kugel is delighted at Valerie's gift, until he realizes that it is just a bag of cheese. "I, well, cheese is very fine but I expect to be paid my 10 gold as well!" He calls after her.

Murgen is unhappy about his skinned kin, but recognizes it is important to keep Sakura stable. He goes along with this plan, as long as he does not have to carry the skin.

Picker is just quietly impressed. You guys killed the Ogre. That thing was famous. She whistles a bit.

Hector volunteers to take one of the bagss. He's been keeping watch on the general surroundings. "I think we should hurry. That ogre was rather loud in it's death throes," He says. "It's making me nervous."

--
EDIT: There is no artifact of Ogre religion, sadly. You seem to have cleared out the place.

--

Feel free to continue the little RP touches, but when you're ready to go let me know. Updates may be slower than they've been, I've got a lot going on this weekend.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 am

Valerie dejectedly walks out the cave, academically unfulfilled. She places a hand on Kugel's shoulder. "My friend. A wheel of cheese is worth far more than ten gold! You should be grateful. Think of the opportunity! You can make yourself a little sandwich booth. Kugel's Korner! Charge 3 gold a sandwich, one slice of cheese in each one. It's a veritable goldmine, Kugel! A mine! Of gold! But it's in your hand, and it's cheese!"
wisdom

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Rowan sighs and shakes his head at Valerie's antics. Walking over to Kugel, he crosses his arms and does his best to reassure - or at least intimidate - the crestfallen old man.

"Pay her no heed. You'll get your gold, don't fear - once we're all back at the keep."

Once he's out of Kugel's earshot, he takes Valerie aside. "A small piece of advice for you - mind it if you will. In all my years working in caravans and the like, there's only been one sure way for an employer to get betrayed, and that's unpaid wages. I think we've had enough trouble for one day, and I don't like the idea of him going bleating to our boar-hunting friends if he's feeling hard done by."

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:02 am

Kugel does not seem perfectly convinced, but he does seem consoled by the suggestion to charge outrageous prices for cheese sandwiches- it speaks to his inner soul. He is much more consoled by Rowan's promise, though.

Everyone gets ready to retreat, the way they came. As they exit the thicket, pretty much anyone who is actively watching can see some small creatures poking their oversized heads out of the southern cave (the one that you heard shrieking from). The creatures are gangly, green skinned, with large eyes, and seem to be looking about frantically. There are about six heads popping out of the cave- several of the creatures are climbing all over the others to get a better view. They seem to have trouble with the daylight, blinking rapidly, shielding their eyes from the sun with their hands as best they can. However, one of them sees your procession and starts pointing. For what it's worth, it does not seem like angry pointing so much as vaguely curious pointing.

These creatures you can instantly recognize, for while they are not *common* in the south, they are well known pests. These creatures are Goblins.

You are between the two thickets, and can make it to the other thicket with ease, but they have seen you. What do you do?

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 am

Hanzo sees others in the party hesitate, but only urges them to move faster.

"We cannot stop now, move the payload!"

1 vote for make a run for the thicket as fast as we can.

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:55 am

"Agreed, time to skedaddle!"
wisdom

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:46 am

"Hold on, Hanzo," Acame interjects. "They don't seem all that dangerous to me. Rather curious creatures even, if you ask me. And they've already seen us anyway, so there's no point in trying to hide. They'll know these thickets better than we do and we can't risk moving too fast because of Sakura."

Putting his hands to his mouth, Acame shouts in the shrieking Goblin language towards the creatures, trying very hard to intimidate them.
what he wants to say
"Stay away if you hold your lives dear to you! We are the Cult of the Bear in search of any who pursue malice against their kind! Behold! One of its mighty warriors is among us [Acame points and genuflects to Murgen]. He has slain the Ogre who resided here, in revenge for the one he had slain and will neither show mercy against lesser evil. Do not suffer yourselves into the daylight only to be slain for naught!"

what he is actually saying in Goblin
"You! Away! We mighty warriors of BEAR. We kill! We have BEAR! He kill Ogre! Ogre bad! He kill Ogre hard! He kill you harder!"

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:09 am

The goblins look at each other. They look at Acame. They look at each other again, scratching their heads. They huddle together for a moment, the scraggly creatures putting their overly large heads together and whispering. Finally they all look towards Acame, and all at once start shrieking in absolute terror.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH BEAR EAT US BEAR EAT OGRE!!!!! BAD BEAR!!! BAD ELFMAN!!!" they scream in goblin at the top of their lungs. They start running in circles, bump into each other, pull each other up, and disappear into the cave.

Airnike

Post by Airnike » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:52 am

Sakura could only look at the goblins showing up, but as she was resigned to the possibility of a cruel fate awaiting her, she found it low to be ended by goblins.

Thankfully, Acame had none of that and sent the goblins packing just by voice. If I have to die, it's gonna take something more than this...

As she sighs (in a way more audibly scratchy than she'd like because of the pain) her head that had popped out to look at the goblins laid back into its place as she once more laid down to await the moment she returned to the Keep.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 am

Returning to the Keep
Day 2, 10:00 AM

The rest of the retreat from the caves of chaos proceeds smoothly, with the goblins scared off. You are able to disengage from the caves without further combat, making it back to the road. You were in the ravine area for about 50 minutes, we'll round it to an hour. At this point it is still midmorning, about 10:00 AM.

As a reminder, the road back to the Keep heads south for a bit, before turning west. To the west (and then to the north, once you take the western road) is a great forest, of which you have just stumbled out of. To the south is the marsh. To the east is a land of rolling hills.

Will you be doing anything unusual, any specific tactics, on your way back to the Keep?

scraggypunk

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 am

Valerie makes a map so we don't have to bring Kugel around next time.
wisdom

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:11 am

My head says, yes, there should be an encounter on the way back. My dice say no. My headache says no. I listen to such things, even if it results in an anticlimax.

Congrats! Taking the precautions that were suggested on the discord, you make it back to the Keep without significant event. As you are carrying someone on a stretcher, it takes an hour and half to get back, but with map in hand you are fairly certain that you will be able to return to the Caves in the future in the span of an hour.

Now that you are back, a few bookkeeping measures- I'm not going to be focusing on haggling unless people *really want to haggle*:

- The merchant is only willing to buy the bear hide for 20 gp due to it's low quality. You get the feeling this is still a fairly good deal.
- The brandy is rather nice quality, worth 80 gp if sold, though I note that alcohol has other uses (like getting drunk), so I'm not going to assume you sell this.
- The plate, being an antique, is worth 300 gp if sold!

Unfortunately, at some point during the investigation, it is discovered that the seventh bag the ogre had, with 289 gold coins, was actually filled with copper coins with gold paint sprayed on them. If you wish to role play out this depressing discovery, go ahead, I'm telling you now because it affects XP.

Which you are finally getting.

Selling everything but the brandy, and handing out equal shares of the loot, will get you a total of 141 gp.. And 8 copper, if you care to record that. The hirelings end up getting 68 gp each (and some silver).

Everyone will gain 145 XP.

The additional 4 XP is from avoiding an encounter with the innocent boar hunters.

I will do a more formal in-character post about the return to the keep, hopefully tomorrow. Consider this the bookkeeping post.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:36 am

I'd say sell everything, unless someone really wants to keep the brandy. Hanzo doesn't care for it.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 am

Narts wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:36 am
I'd say sell everything, unless someone really wants to keep the brandy. Hanzo doesn't care for it.
Agreed. Acame is more of a wine guy anyway. He's planning to hit the tavern tonight, probably for some good ol' gamblin'.

He also pays Kugel's fee, as promised. The cheese wheel is a bonus, I guess (don't know what that should be worth anyway).

Acame is planning to find a place where he can get the Potion and the Arcane spell scroll identified, and asks the shopkeepers they're selling to where he might be able to have some luck with that (he's definitely not going to try himself).