Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

This is the RPG, Fanfiction, Story and Roleplaying Forum.

Basically, all creatively writingness stuff goes here, as well as RPGs.

Moderator: Terragent

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 am

Rowan gives the brandy a few longing glances over the journey, but ultimately decides that he can probably find better stuff - and in more manageable quantities - in his own time when they get back to the keep.

[ooc: I say we just sell the stuff]

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:41 pm

I vote we keep the brandy, could be a useful bartering chip in the future.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 pm

I vote we sell the brandy and trade it (or spend the money we get from it) for something that's more obviously beneficial.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:54 am

Selling the Brandy gets everyone:

+ 13 XP
13 gp, 3 silver pieces, and 3 copper pieces.
Again tracking silver and copper is optional and not really recommended, I just don't want to shortchange you.

For those keeping track of hireling gold the hirelings only get 6 gp and 6 sp.

-
-
-

The Return

Picker leaves the group at the gate, promising to report the fight against the Ogre to Captain Borkish. She suggests you focus on getting treatment for Sakura, and recommends the church if that wasn't already obvious.

The clerics at the church are willing to take Airnike in, but it will take two weeks to recover to the point where you can safely go adventuring again.

However: After about a week you'll be able to move but large amounts of exertion such as climbing, swimming, running, or actively participating in long combats will hurt you. The doctors strongly recommend you take the full two weeks but it is up to you. It is worth noting that they do not say it'll be exactly two weeks, rather, "at least two weeks". But for gameplay purposes... it'll be two weeks.

After this, it's about noon. You are in the middle of the Keep, having dropped off Airnike. You now have a satisfying amount of money that has been distributed amongst the party, and have or will likely be about to exchange your loot for gold. The hirelings are still present, but Hector is looking like he's getting ready to leave for some R&R pretty soon. What do you do?

Fair warning- I'm going to be taking a hopefully short break soon, while I get myself organized, hopefully fix my head- I've had constant headaches for the past week, which is why I had an eye exam today, and why this weeks updates have been a bit rushed and lackadasical. Consider this the end of season one. But I'll be happy to evaluate everyone's downtime actions, and am planning to introduce Dragonite real soon. It just might be at a slower pace that we're used to.

EDIT: Narts pointed out this isn't mafia so feel free to give valerie the brandy if you wish. do this as a group and ignore the gold/xp as a group though.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:00 am

Hanzo overhears Valerie talking about buying a horse and a cart. "Yes... we need a beast of burden to carry all these tools I plan to purchase."

He is willing to contribute his own share to this plan. He's not elaborating on the tools he mentioned. He seems rather quiet. He just mumbles something about pits and falling while rubbing his forehead.

He goes straight to the inn, books himself a room and spends the next three days in the bed nursing his headache.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:04 am

"Yes, if we all pitch in, we can get ourselves a horse and a cart! We can make this adventuring thing into a proper mercenary company! How cool would that be, eh?"
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:09 am

@Acame:

The trader seems like the most likely to know the properties of arcane items out of everyone, given that he has a few potions for sale. Unfortunately, as he tells you...

"Look. I've gotten pretty good at identifying healing potions. Anything past that, I dunno. It's blue, maybe that's water breathing? I heard once that's something wizards can do. And I can't read scrolls at all.

To be honest, the Keep is really lacking a full time Arcanist and/or Alchemist in general. Those are pretty rare occupations these days! If you find one looking for work, send him our way- we'll keep 'em busy.

In the mean time... There was a kid with a dog in here just a bit earlier. Called himself a "Mage", seemed to be carrying the proper mage-stuff. You might ask him if he can help you with the Arcane stuff? I dunno, it's worth a shot. Think he wandered off towards the fountain..."

@DRAGONITE:

Conor, you have just arrived at the Keep on the Borderland after quite a bit of travel, along with your dog. You are currently standing in the Fountain Plaza, in front of the Inn and the Tavern. It is around lunchtime. The tavern is very loud and filled with people because of this. (Check the map in the first post to get an idea where you are.)

And I'll just leave it like that. You can introduce yourself, and tomorrow you and HPD can meet and handle spellbooks and scrolls and all that. You can role play this fortuitous meeting out however you want, just let me know when you need me to process the results of say, read magic.


I will cover the results of last night's carousing soon (tm)
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Dragonite
Rank: My face is beaming.
Location: the netherlands(mostly)

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Dragonite » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:29 am

Conor sighed as his dog, Liam circled around him taking on the noises and scents of the busy keep. ""Easy there, boy. Here, go get some water in the fountain.''. He was used to walking, but a boat trip and a long journey had worn him out. Upon introducing himself as a mage, the guard had warned him about needing a permit. Although Conor was honestly wondering if he needed one. Reading magic kind of requires magical object, and what could be more ''wholesome'' then sleep? Other then that, the place seemed nice and organized, and there seemed to be plenty to do in the surrounding region. Might be a good plan to stick around for a bit. But who to talk to? Conor didn't really like talking to strangers all that much, let alone at a place like this. At a loss, he slumped down on the edge of the fountain and watched Liam lap up his sorely needed refreshment.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:29 am

Timeline so far, because this could get a wee bit confusing:

Day 2, midday: return to keep, drop off sakura at church, 1-2 week recovery
Day 2, continued: Dragonite + HPD meet
Day 3-5: Hanzo spends time recovering, headache goes away halfway through day 5.
Day 3-9: Rowan and Valerie go partying, to be detailed in a future post.
Day 6-12: Hanzo goes training
Day 9: Sakura can technically go adventuring at this point!! She can also move around town.
Day 16: Sakura is fully healed.

This is assuming that people spend time with their activities right away, but the exact days can be shifted. For the sake of simplicity I just used solid week chunks, even though the week of training and carousing probably could/would start in the evenings.

- - -

Hanzo
You are able to shake your concussion-fueled migraine after a couple of days of bed rest. After that, you go for a training session. This could be with other random adventurers, or with the guard- they're certainly willing to give you some training. Regardless, it all goes swimmingly, and you spend 20 gp to get 10 xp out for the deal!

Rowan and Valerie
I'm going to assume you at least start the carousing session together, though that might not last long. Having nothing productive to do, and being cooped up in a small keep town, you hang around the tavern and drink and make merry. You meet a lot of people- regardless of what else happens, you probably know everyone in town who also tends to drink and make merry. Things take an unfortunate turn, however, when a merchant from the city of Marlinko named Mirek gets involved. A psychedelic drug called Hruz makes it's appearance, and Valerie ends up trying the stuff. Valerie ends up with a drug addiction. She needs to either spend some money to get more of the drug (100 gp for a month's supply, 30 for a week's supply), continue carousing before the week is over, try to tough it out, or get someone to cure disease. Rowan, for his part, avoids the whole ordeal.

At this point it was brought up that was a little extreme, which is on me for not making it clear the dangers of carousing, and that this isn't just partying, this is partying with the tendency to get out of control. Hence the high amount of XP. That's my bad, so I'm going to be explicit: The head priest is 5th level and can cast Cure Disease. If you wish to role play this complication, you can, if not we can just assume you get it cured like it was no big deal. Hurray for magic.

Rowan gets 50 experience, and spends 50 gp.
Valerie gets 20 experience, and spends 20 gp.

- - -

Big decision for Sakura: do you want to risk adventuring while still healing or not? I won't try to surprise you with physical exertion, just don't climb, run, swim, mostly. On the other hand, I understand if you want to play it safe.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:58 am

So at this point I'm going to be officially breaking for a bit, not sure how long. Long enough to get new glasses and maybe see the doctor if that doesn't help, as well as reorganize my notes (A GM's constant duty, lol).

Feel free to RP in my pseudo-absence, especially Dragonite's introduction to the group. That's happening on Day 2, so no one is yet involved in timesinks yet. Anyone can get in on it.

Except Sakura.

Please visit Sakura she can't move : (

My other suggestion is to plan your next expedition. When, where, etc. Get everyone's buy-in on that wagon and cart! Murgen and Hector are ok with it!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:32 am

I didn't mention this before, but Hanzo invites Hector with him to the training sessions. If he comes, Hanzo keeps giving him "tips" and "advice" on marksmanship in a condescending tone, and pesters him to switch to a longbow instead of the crossbow he's used to.

He speaks to the guardsmen and others who choose to spend time training with him in the same tone, giving them nonsensical and vague advice like "Feel the target." "Be the arrow." "Strive for perfection." "Flow like water."

Throughout his training, Hanzo acts like he's some great master from the east who's generously sharing his boundless wisdom with lesser men.

Honestly, he's kind of insufferable.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 pm

So do we all agree to pitch in 20 gold so we can buy a horse and cart?
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm

All of the following have agreed to it to my knowledge:

Valerie
Hanzo
Murgen
Hector

(80gp)

Need to shake answers from:

Rowan
Sakura
Acame
Conor?

We need 140gp. With party size of 7 that's 20gp each, but that calculation was made before Conor joined. (Technically he still hasn't joined) If we factor him in as part of the team, the cost is 17 gold, 5 silver for each member.

60gp is still missing. That's low enough that Valerie/Hanzo can easily tank it by depositing extra 30gp, but's let's wait for everyone's answers first.

Hey didn't I say I don't want to be the party accountant?

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 pm

Please visit me I can't move.

Tbh I'm not sure I have the gold (EDIT: nvm with the 13gp I'm at 23gp so I guess I could) (EDIT:nvfm i have enough gold to do that without hesitation)
Last edited by Airnike on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Terragent
Rank: Cussing Aussie
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Terragent » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:02 pm

OOC: Rowan is fine with investing in a horse and cart. Murgen and Hector are likely to be only pitching in at a half share each (given they're only being paid a half share for expeditions) - so that'd be 20gp each from the PCs (120gp total) and 10gp each from the hirelings.

Everyone ought to have enough to pitch in unless they've invested in a lot of other purchases that haven't been mentioned in public, since the individual shares from the expedition were ~150gp each.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:27 am

On the 10th day, Hanzo is seen walking up to the tavern and nailing a poster to the wall.
COMPANY OF THE OGRE-SLAYING BEAST

LOOKING FOR RETAINERS

FOR A DARING EXPEDITION

INTO THE CAVERNS OF CHAOS

BRAVE SOULS ONLY.

COWARDS & WEAKLINGS

NEED NOT APPLY.

FOR A SHARE IN TREASURE.


Come to the Inn and speaketh
to Acame, the Elf, Valerie the Cleric,
or Hanzo of the Indomitable Will.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 am

"Well, that trader was no help at all," Acame mumbles as he exits the shop. Still, he thought, if he's right about a mage being in town, he might be of some help to me. And so Acame walked straight towards the fountain area, hoping to catch up with the mysterious mage.

A young fellow was sitting on the edge of the fountain, lost in thought, absentmindedly petting his dog. His clothing unmistakably identified him as a traveler. And a mage. Without hesitation, the elf walked up to him. The youth didn't seem to notice until Acame greeted him from up close.

"Hello there, friend. I hope I didn't startle you there. I heard a mage had arrived in town just today and people pointed me to you. I take it you're him, yes? My name is Acame, of the elvenkind. Pleasure to meet you. I have also come to this place not long ago with a few companions for some... adventuring. We happened upon a couple of spell scrolls and a potion of sorts and our party seems to lack the skill and cunning to identify them. Perhaps you would be willing to help us? We would pay you, of course. Or maybe we could even interest you in more... profitable opportunities in the near future?"
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Dragonite
Rank: My face is beaming.
Location: the netherlands(mostly)

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Dragonite » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:22 am

Conor looked up to see an elf talking to him on a confident yet refined manner, asking for his specific help. This was far beyond what he expected to happen. And an honest to goodness elf! He never had a serious talk with one of the before. ''Um.. eh, yes, you need me? My name is Conor and.. Ah, uh yes, scrolls?''.

Conor did study read magic, as he considers it a base for any serious inquiry in the realm of magic, but the thought of offering his services had not occurred to him. Still, this might be the hook he was looking for. "I'm able to read it for you. But my magical stamina is still limited, so I do need a bit of rest if there's more. That's okay? And you think it's allowed? Well okay, here goes then''.

He began chanting the arcane syllables needed for read magic. Suddenly, in the depth of his mind, the contents of the scroll became clear to him. ''This is a of the spell ''hold person''. That's a more advanced spell though, so I can't cast it at the very least. I only am a novice mage..''. Conor returned the scroll to Acame, and he hit upon a thought. ''You're a adventurer right? Do you have any spells for me to learn too? It's dangerous out there, and I know so little.. need to take what I can get. ''Oh, and are you exploring again soon too?'' Conor gulped, but a poke of Liam's nose gave him the resolve he needed. ''Er.. , do you suppose I could join you? I don't know who else to ask for this kind of thing...''

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:59 am

Acame smiles warmly. "I don't see why not!" he beams at Conor. "We could definitely use a mage like you. You seem to have a good grasp on things, that Read Magic spell was flawless! I'll tell you up front, though. One of our Clerics was beaten to an inch of her life by an ogre earlier today. With that in mind, I can give you no guarantee you'll come out of this alive, since this is dangerous work. But you seem to be of the right material. You'll be alright. Come see us in the inn later today. I'll introduce you to the others. Minus our comatose cleric, of course. And our Thief too, he's bedridden for a few days to sleep off a concussion. But I'm sure he won't say no to people joining. He seemed to have been of a mind to find more strength (and safety) in numbers anyway."

"As for sharing knowledge, I'll tell you I'm interested in your knowledge on Read Magic. I personally have some skill with Magic Arrow. It's all the rage these days, you'll love it!"

OOC: so this is still all day two, for those confused. Right now every character seems to have their own chronology. I'll assume from here on that Conor meets Valerie and Rowan later on in day 2 (and Hector and Murgen, presumably), Hanzo as soon as he gets better and Sakura as soon as she wakes up and is up to it.

I don't know how long it takes to copy/learn spells but I assume that Acame and Conor, if Dragonite agrees on a trade, will spend like a week figuring out how to cast Read Magic and Magic Arrow, respectively, and copy them to their spell books.

As for Hold Person, Acame thinks it's probably best if Conor copies that into his spell book as well. That'll vaporise the scroll, but we'll be able to cast it permanently at some point (and far earlier than Acame would be able to, at least).

There was some talk about buying a cart and horse. Acame thinks that's a great idea, but some thought should be given to who's going to protect it on expeditions. We won't be able to take it safely everywhere, most likely.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am

Picker can guard the cart.
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Image

Spreadsheets are fun! The parts marked with red are time unaccounted for, or unconfirmed assumptions on my part.

Everyone should either fill their two weeks with activity, or confirm they aren't doing anything of note. I've tentatively placed Acame and Valerie into HR duty for the last four days, mainly because I advertised it in the flyer. Sakura also doesn't need to spend the second week recovering at the church, but I haven't heard any firm decisions on her part.

As for guarding the cart, that's part of the reason I wanted to deploy a mountain of NPC troops! We can leave some of them behind to guard stuff without feeling like our main spelunking party is understaffed.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:04 am

It happened a few days ago, but neither Pk nor I updated this. Acame ended up spending two days learning Read Magic, then spent a week practicing magic (with Conor). For training, he spent 70gp and got 35XP. That leaves us with the remaining days for HR duty.

Let's go hire people! Acame is excited at the prospect of creating a professional force for adventuring!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:57 am

Yeah, for the record, I've been like officially out of it, so if you did training and I didn't announce it just make sure you write it down the changes on your sheet I trust you. If you said you wanted to do training but didn't roll, feel free to roll for it, I've gotten rid of the mishap chance. It's only if you want to carouse that I need to explicitly get involved.

I will OFFICIALLY RESUME THE GAME on Monday (tomorrow I've got both a game and helping my sister move out, which i didn't know until yesterday, and today is half over somehow).

That said I intend to start HR considerations in an upcoming post today. . The Hirelings... they are coming.


---

EDIT: It also looks like everyone has confirmed they're willing to contribute money towards the cart. Hector and Murgen agree to contribute 10 gp.

Please subtract 20 coins each from your savings if you haven't already. You will gain a cart and a horse to pull it.

As long as you are able to protect the cart, Encumbrance likely will not be an issue- it can carry 400 lbs, which equates to... a lot of item slots.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:43 am

Hireling Invasion!
I used several hireling tables and a little bit of my own inspiration to generate this fine lot.

Over the course of the four days spent doing HR, you get a fair number of people interested. Unfortunantly, most of them are what appear to be farmers looking for glory, not exactly the stuff of legends.

Old Man Paval proclaims himself to be a "officially designated master torchbearer", capable of carrying a torch in each hand with ease!
Jorl is a traveler from the north. He used to work in the sewage industry. He prefers not to elaborate.
Rob, Son of Bob is a young farmsboy looking for adventure.
Bob, Son of Rob is also a young farmsboy looking for adventure. They look very similar, but claim to have no relation.
Mohec the Wanderer, upon further investigation, has never actually left the region.
Alice-Talks-To-Crows argues that despite her nickname, she talks to all animals, and is convinced they speak common but pretend not to.

None of this lot have much beyond farmer equipment and some swords and spears in less than amazing condition. Alice and Jorl own leather armor. They are all filled with enthusiasm that is destined to be snuffed out like a candle's flame.

. . .

Despite this, there are three others that seem halfway competent:

The Masked Man seems to be interested in serving. You think. He does not talk, and wears a mask so you can't really figure out his facial features, but the guy seems interested in the offer. He uses a Mace and Chain Mail, and carries a Sling.

Roderik is a rather jolly Dwarf, geared out in Plate Armor(!) fitted specifically for a Dwarf. Otherwise,he carries a battleaxe and shield. No ranged weapon to speak of, as he abhors ranged combat. He has a tendency to pretend Acame does not exist.

Veera introduces herself, in broken common, as a barbarian hailing from the eastern wilds. She carries a Two-Handed-Sword and a Longbow, but only wears Hide Armor (count as Studded Leather). She looks strong enough to take a hit and possible be able to keep fighting (that is, she got really lucky on the HP roll!)

Finally, a familiar face pokes his head into the inn.

Alba the Cleric offers his services for free, so long as the party commits to searching for the Shrine of Evil Chaos. He is outfitted. He will not count as a typical retainer, as he joins the party of his own free will. He does not wear any equipment at this time, but lets you know he has a set of plate armor, a mace, and shield.

. . .

The Mercenaries
A group of Mercenaries, led by a woman named Jeska Darkblade, offer their services, and are willing to serve for a fee of 40 gp per day. They're really not interested in going dungeon diving, and aren't interested in getting a share of the loot. The mercenaries are willing to serve as guards outside the caves or otherwise set up/defend a position, and little more. Jeska is pretty insistent about these terms.

The group consists of: 1 Heavy Infantry, 2 Light Infantry, 2 Bowman. They work as a single unit, and will count as a single retainer when it comes to retainer limits.

Note that I'm bending the rules here a little, because it's potentially interesting. Mercenaries don't usually accompany adventurers, but since there are mercenaries in the pub, and since I figured they might be interested in such an adventure, I decided to adapt the rules a little.

- - -

As it turns out, Roderik, Veera, and the Masked Man are the only ones who will need to make a reaction roll to determine if they join. Everyone will take up a retainer slot except for Alba ( and the Mercenaries only take up one), so who hires who is important. Feel free to consider offers, and dicuss who hires who. This should give you conversation for a day or two!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Dragonite
Rank: My face is beaming.
Location: the netherlands(mostly)

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Dragonite » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:39 am

Conor spends 30 GP to train. He also concluded throwing magical force missiles is awesome. He also perfected the art of throwing glowy stuff to play fetch with the dog, although it vanishes when hitting anything. This confuses Liam greatly.

Conor is intrigued by the dwarf, and may opt to approach. He’s convinced that whatever caused the major rift is of great historical significance.

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Hanzo listens intently to Old Man Paval's boasting.

"Excellent. We were in dire need of a master torchbearer. Hanzo will hire this one."

He is also impressed by Roderik's costly armor. "This dwarf must be a successful freelancer. And I have heard these short people know their way underground. Should be useful where we are going."

Hanzo also indicates interest in hiring Veera and Darkblade's mercenaries, but he thinks it's best for Acame to handle their hiring.

Hanzo hires Old Man Paval and Roderik the dwarf.

Unrelated to the recruitment effort:

Hanzo visits the general store and buys:

Grappling hook (1 gp)
2x Rope, hemp (50 ft.) (2 gp)
2x Axe, hand (2gp)
Hammer (5 sp)
Ladder, 10-foot (5 cp)
Pick, miner's (3 gp)
2x Spade (4 gp)
Spikes, iron (24) (2 gp)
Stakes, wooden (30) (5 sp)

Total cost: (15 gp 5 cp)

He loads these tools onto the cart. They're Hanzo's, but he intends them for communal use. Except the grappling hook and 1x hemp rope, which he keeps in his inventory, suspecting he may need them in the caves to scale heights or cross chasms.

He enthusiastically explains to Rowan this new genius strategy he has invented, which involves digging pits into the ground and covering them with leaves and branches, tricking unsuspecting enemies to fall down and hit their heads.

While Hanzo is out in the town, he stops in his tracks, with a quizzed expression on his face. He suddenly remembers he never saw a Holy Symbol on Valerie's person, even though he's pretty sure clerics need one to be able to cast spells.

He visits the church of Surya to purchase a Wooden Holy Symbol for 1 gp and brings it to Valerie. "A gift. For you."

User avatar
Dragonite
Rank: My face is beaming.
Location: the netherlands(mostly)

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Dragonite » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Conor noticed the archer Hanzo acted without hestistation while he was fidgeting. That man was a professional at this! ‘Well, can’t help to chat..’

‘Hey, eh, mr. Paval? Are you competent in the sublime art of lantern holding too?’’ Conor shows him his Lantern. ‘Might broaden our options.’ He has some reservations of sending the somewhat strange man into danger. His boasting about a singular basic skill is odd. Has he done it before?

After that, Conor goes and introduces himself to Roderik.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Acame appears to have an animated conversation with Jeska Darkblade and is impressed with her leading a small mercenary company. He thinks 40gp is quite a price to pay, though, seeing as they can't be used in dungeons and therefore are likely to just lounge around most of the time. Acame is trying to haggle the price down. He is willing to offer 30gp per day instead.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Airnike
Rank: The red in a world of black and white

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Airnike » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 am

Sakura walks around town, but is thoroughly uninterested in the recruitment efforts.

Instead she simply walks around town, doing some window-shopping and otherwise isolating herself to try and force herself to talk out loud.

User avatar
Dragonite
Rank: My face is beaming.
Location: the netherlands(mostly)

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Dragonite » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 am

Conor introduces himself to Alba, who he hasn't met before.

He inquires what's special about this group that he's willing to take a risk traveling. The shrine of chaos sounds dangerous. Has it seen recent activity that it needs to be tracked down? He's also wants to know what his range of spell casting ability is in a battle.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:25 am

[the start of carousing]

Valerie and Rowan walk out of the Temple of Surya, having dropped off Sakura. "I'm glad she's okay, but that was harrowing! Our poor Sakura got beaten to an inch of her life! And she's so young! Ugh... " frowns Valerie, burying her face into her hands.

Rowan thinks for a moment. "Want to get wasted?"

"Yes."

[after several fun filled nights of partying]

Valerie sits alone at a bar, spinning a silver coin in place on the countertop. She is concentrating very hard on this task. A person sits next to her and introduces themselves. "Ho there, friend! My name is Mirek, I am a merchant from Marlinko. I've heard you killed an ogre! That's very impressive."
"I don't want to talk about that."
"Ha, fair enough, fair enough! What is it you're doing there?"
"I'm trying to see if there's a way to map out what direction it will go."
"That's, uh. Okay. Unique thought process you've got there. Say, would you be interested in... expanding your mind?"
"Oh, I'm always very interested in that!"
"You seemed the type!"

[a few hours later, Murgen tracks down Valerie]

"It's brilliant, Murgen! We're all interconnected! Including the heavens themselves! Every action has an opposite and equal reaction! Can you feel it?! I'm onto something, aren't I?!"
Image
"Hrrm... you're on something, all right."
"I'll prove it! Quick, find some glass bottles! We'll break them and I will be able to predict how the pieces land!"
"Eh... I have a better idea."
Image
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:47 am

this is beautiful
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:00 am

Dragonite wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 am
Conor introduces himself to Alba, who he hasn't met before.

He inquires what's special about this group that he's willing to take a risk traveling. The shrine of chaos sounds dangerous. Has it seen recent activity that it needs to be tracked down? He's also wants to know what his range of spell casting ability is in a battle.

"The risk does not bother me," Alba says, with a serene look on his face. "I am on a divine mission, so some personal risk must be expected. If I can help others survive the experience, all the better. I saw the flyer that you were recruiting for an expedition, and I recognized Valerie's name. As she too follows a respectable Deity, I see no harm in helping out a fellow pilgrim."

He pauses, rubbing his chin.

"I specialize in healing and light spells. I imagine both will be useful on this journey. I am curious, young Conor, what spells do you plan on bringing to a fight? I believe you are a mage, was it?"
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:27 am

HPD wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 pm
Acame appears to have an animated conversation with Jeska Darkblade and is impressed with her leading a small mercenary company. He thinks 40gp is quite a price to pay, though, seeing as they can't be used in dungeons and therefore are likely to just lounge around most of the time. Acame is trying to haggle the price down. He is willing to offer 30gp per day instead.
Jeska accepts this price, and seems to enjoy the haggling process.

"30 gp is a good fee. Enough to feed and house this band for a bit, at least."
Dragonite wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm

...‘Hey, eh, mr. Paval? Are you competent in the sublime art of lantern holding too?’’ Conor shows him his Lantern. ‘Might broaden our options.’ He has some reservations of sending the somewhat strange man into danger. His boasting about a singular basic skill is odd. Has he done it before?

After that, Conor goes and introduces himself to Roderik.
"Ehh? Lanterns? Sure I can hold a lantern, anyone can, but can't hold two of them. Not certified. Legal obligation, you see. Torches are better anyway. You have a torch, and you can set anything on fire without having to fumble for oil. And let me tell you, a lantern fire is a lot easier to keep from spreading than oil fire. An oil fire is a right old mess! Yes, Torches truly are the best. But even though it's a waste of my considerable Torchbearing talents, I can hold yer darned lantern."

---

The dwarf is happy to work with Hanzo and/or Conor, though at one point he whispers (loudly, dwarven whispers are not subtle), to Hanzo:

"So why are ye luggin' the knife-ear around?," bushy dwarven eyebrows pointing at Acame, "I don't see much point in them, other than to set off traps. But 10ft poles are just as good for that, and don't prance around as much."

---

Veera and Alice-Talks-To-Crows are also happy to join. Alice seems scatterbrained, but despite this somehow seems like a better prospect than the rest of the farmers, in that she actually knows one end of a sword from the other. Veera doesn't talk much due to her limited grasp on common, but she seems to be fairly intelligent despite the communication gap.

(These five retainers are hired- I'll assume at standard hireling fee, other than the Mercs.)
Roderik- Hanzo or Conor
Veera- Valerie
Alice- Valerie
Pavol- Hanzo
Jeska's Mercs- Acame

And that's all I got because lunch is over!
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
scraggypunk
Rank: legendary cartographer
Location: deoxy knight

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by scraggypunk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Valerie wags her finger in front of Roderick. "Tut-tut, there will be none of that nonsense here! You are to respect and admire all of Surya's divine creations!"

Next, she clears her throat and addresses the group.
"Well! What a large group we've mustered together. A company proper! How exciting!! We should make a name for ourselves!!! Let's think of some ideas! How abooooout... Sanabarda? They're my favourite type of bird."
wisdom
"the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread" - anatole france

User avatar
Narts

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Narts » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Hanzo looks at Acame and scratches his beard. "Well, his kind make for excellent archers. Or so I hear." He turns back to Roderick, squinting. "Where is your bow?"

User avatar
Dragonite
Rank: My face is beaming.
Location: the netherlands(mostly)

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Dragonite » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:26 am

Conor is pondering aqquiring a light spell as soon as possible to upstage Paval, when he is a little unsettled by Roderiks.. tactical assessments and quickly moves to adress him. ‘’ oh, eh. Acame is trustworthy, don’t worry! He let me study his spells. I’m aware that relations betweens your races are poor. I’ve read a lot about your cultures, although I must confess I don’t understand what caused a rift. But you can function with him in a combat situation right? You both have invaluable abilities!’

User avatar
Pkdragon
Rank: very chuuni

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:06 am

"Oh, I don't plan on using a bow. No offense, but I could never stand in the back firing off little pieces of wood like an elf! Someone has to stand in the thick of it. That's what this fine dwarven armor is for," Roderik says. He fully expects to be front lining.

---

Hireling Job Fair Status

To clarify, in case there's confusion: All this is an abstract representation of what is happening over the last four or so days before you set out on your next adventure. For everything else, I'm going to do a largescale recap post ASAP. But for now I just want to clarify everything Hireling related.

All hirelings that have been reached out to for hiring have been successfully hired. Again, I amassuming standard hireling wages for everyone but Jeska's mercs.

Hired
Roderik- Conor
Veera- Valerie
Alice- Valerie
Pavol- Hanzo
Jeska's Mercs- Acame

Murgen and Hector are assumed to be still hired unless I am told otherwise.

Not Hired
Jorl
Rob
Bob
Mohec
The Masked Man *NOTE: This guy was the masked monk mentioned earlier. He class changed.*
Alba- technically no one has given him a yes or no to his request yet.


Core Statistics:
In a spoiler tag to keep this post from being overwhelmingly long
Hidden Text
Roderik the Dwarf (Lv 1) Owned By Conor
HP: 4 AC: 2 Morale: 6
Battleaxe: +0, 1d8 +0

Veera the Fighter (Lv 1) Owned By Valerie
HP: 8 AC: 7 Morale: 7
Two-handed-sword: +0, 1d10 + 0

Alice-Talks-To-Crows the Lass (Lv 0) Owned By Valerie
HP:3 AC: 8 Morale: 7
Old Longsword: +0, 1d8 + 0 damage, breaks on a critical failure.

Special: If she survives an adventure, she has a chance of graduating to a real class. (1-2 in 1d6, rolled every adventure). Also, she may be able to talk to animals. UNCONFIRMED.

Pavol the Master Torchbearer (Lv 0) Owned By Hanzo
HP: 2 AC: 9 Morale: 7
Torch: +0, 1d4 + 0
Special: Dual Wields Torches ( he can theoretically attack twice, -2 to first attack, -4 to second attack.)
Jeska is not in there because her group's stats work differently and will be mostly handled by me.

Note: Even though the Lvl 0 characters say their attack is +0, it's worth noting that they have a 5% harder time hitting enemies compared to everyone else due to ATTACK TABLES. This is a background thing you don't really have to think about, but I want to make sure I state that's how it works.

So at this point I'm just looking for an explicit yes/no on Alba and any last minute hireling decisions, like hiring the MASKED MONK who is now slightly less well geared. Then we can move on.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 am

"'Invaluable abilities', don't make me laugh. He's so short that he has no reach whatsoever, has no speed on those stubby legs while carrying full plate, and yet insists on not carrying any ranged weapon to speak of. The obstinate stupidity of Dwarves is astounding. You'll die before you get a hit in on anyone. But hey, if you insist."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

User avatar
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
Rank: Mentat
Location: The Mountain

Re: Keep On The Borderlands: The Game

Post by HPD » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:28 am

"I'd much rather hire that masked monk over there, he seems like much better company."
Acame dismisses Conor and Roderik and approaches the masked man instead.
"Hello friend, you mind showing me your skill with that sling? It seems like a useful weapon to have around."
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Multivac [Bot] and 0 guests