WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B2: Lucca vs. Giana

This is the Archive Forum. Old Debates, Tournaments and Threads worthy of note will be stored here.

Lucca or Giana?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:55 am

Image (4) Lucca (Chrono Trigger)
57%
Image (5) Giana (The Great Giana Sisters)
43%

Total votes: 14

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B2: Lucca vs. Giana

Post by HPD » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:55 am

The Character Battle 2012 is running smoothly so far! Lash and Bayonetta made a great start, with Bayonetta currently (and surprisingly) in the lead against the highest-nominated character on the roster. Will it be an early leave for Lash? There's still two days left to make your vote count!

Anyway, let's move on to battle #2, since this one is bound to be at least as exciting as the previous one. Here we have Chrono Trigger's brilliant inventor Lucca battling against retro heroine Giana! There's short descriptions down below, with Giana's written by Narts!

Speaking of which, you are still invited to present small character introductions like these of your favourite characters. Please help out here! I don't know every character in the contest and it's tough if I have to write them all by myself. If you help me out, you also help keeping the contest alive as it's a lot tougher keeping this alive when I actually have to put effort in it! PM me, email me (hpd@warsworldnews.com) or hit me up on the WWN IRC if you're interested. Remember, it's only a few lines of text. Narts is an overachiever here. <_<

---

(4) Lucca
Chrono Trigger

Lucca is the brilliant teenage inventor from the highly popular SNES RPG Chrono Trigger. She's repsonsible for some great inventions, one of which is the 'Telepod', a teleporter device that eventually sent the main character, Crono, back in time, starting the game's events. She's usually very witty and fights with guns and her trusty hammer. Yeah, she's cool like that. ;)

Lucca's Theme
Chrono Trigger PSX/DS Opening (it's awesome, watch this)

(5) Giana
The Great Giana Sisters
Giana Sisters DS

One of the oldest female icons in gaming, Giana is most interesting for her tumultuous history. Originally conceived in 1987 as a thinly-veiled knockoff of Super Mario Brothers ported to nearly all of the 80's big personal computer platforms, the original Great Giana Sisters game was pulled out from the stores shortly after release by its publisher Rainbow Arts following a legal threat from Nintendo. This didn't stop the game from becoming wildly popular through piracy, since despite the game's obvious clone roots, it was actually a great game in its own right. (The fact that these platforms did not have legitimate ports of SMB may have played its part in the popularity of Giana) The Great Giana Sisters is now remembered as one of the most defining games of the Commodore 64 generation. The original boxes have become valuable collector's items due to their rarity and the game's notorious reputation.

As a happy twist, 22 years later, in 2009, a sequel/re-imagining of the game was legitly published on Nintendo's DS platform under the name Giana Sisters DS, produced by the character's original creator Armin Gessert. Sadly, he passed away around the game's release.

The original TGGS, as a game, despite the first few levels playing almost identically to SMB, offered interesting twists that revealed themselved later on to the skillful player, that transcended the game from being a simple clone. Ironically, if those first levels hadn't been directly copied from SMB the game might have avoided the legal attention from Nintendo. The greatest, most fondly remembered feature of this game, however, is most likely the soundtrack by the C64 composer legend Chris Hülsbeck, some examples of his genius follow.

Box art of the original version.

All truly outrageous video game characters have their names spelled wrong in their game's title screens.

You gotta give it, Mario games never sounded this much raw awesome.

The DS version included faithful remixes of the original music, as well as cutely re-imagined characters by the artist "Pikomi" (see above).

Gotta love the little treacherous psychopath.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Re: WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B2: Lucca vs. Giana

Post by Narts » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:11 am

Narts is an overachiever here. <_<
Not at all. It's just that Giana really is the only character worth talking about!
Gotta love the little treacherous psychopath.
Comment hardly makes sense without the sequence of pictures I originally included

http://i.imgur.com/EmE41.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mAzFO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gimzB.jpg

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 am

Well, if he's an overachiever, what should I call myself with Leona?

This is a tough call... but I think I'm gonna stick with Lucca in this one. Only knew about Giana a few years ago, there's just no nostalgia value, and that's actually her best value.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:05 am

sorry i ran out of space
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:24 pm

lucca wasn't my favorite character in chrono trigger, though she wasn't my least favorite character either, that would be chrono himself. now that i think of it, the only truly memorable characters from that game were Frog and Magus. but, i wasn't playing chrono trigger for the characters, i enjoyed it for the time travel-y adventures.

so, because that was an interesting read and i find the box art hilarious, i'm voting giana
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Looking back at Chrono Trigger is very interesting. On one hand it feels so shallow now--the overworld I thought was vast as a kid now seems fairly limited, the plot is straight-forward, the characters aren't all that developed. Yet the game still sustains itself, because of its terrific battle system, great soundtrack and overall likeability.

Lucca is not that interesting of a character, but she's an integral part of Chrono Trigger. Watching that opening cutscene reminded of how lovable that cast is, and having each of the character have unique techs actually made them different (unlike every single final fantasy since VII). So yeah. Lucca still rocks me.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Yeah, Lucca has my vote; she was a largely uncomplicated character, but she served her purpose well and her personal go-back-in-time arc was very well handled.

89305092R

Post by 89305092R » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Hmm, they seem pretty evenly matched... I'll just do this by hair colour. Since purple trumps everything else, Lucca's got my vote.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:25 am

Nostalgia's got nothing to do with it. Giana is timeless.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:01 am

Still can't vote in the darksunyellow skin? Laaaaaaaaaaame.

But yeah. I vote for Lucca. Partially because I like her character, partly because I've not played the other game.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 am

Narts wrote:Nostalgia's got nothing to do with it. Giana is timeless.
Well, Lucca is time-traveler.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:37 am

Looks like Lucca beat Giana 8-6. Too bad for our nostalgic icon, but it's our little inventor who's going to be in the second round!

Also I know I should have made B4 today but I was out partying so there will be one day delay. I'M SORRY OK