WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B13: Naija vs. Gruntilda

This is the Archive Forum. Old Debates, Tournaments and Threads worthy of note will be stored here.

Naija or Gruntilda?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:08 am

Image (1) Naija (Aquaria)
46%
Image (8) Gruntilda Winkybunion (Banjo-Kazooie Series)
54%

Total votes: 13

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B13: Naija vs. Gruntilda

Post by HPD » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:08 am

So, we're down to the last division. Four more battles before we can head into the second round. It's been great so far, so keep it up with your votes! Today you can vote for either Naija or Grunty.

Even though SHODAN has a pretty great lead on Ms. Pac-Man, there's still time left to vote. Make sure you've made yours!

---

(1) Naija
Aquaria

Naija is the protagonist of the renowned indie game Aquaria. It's a Metroidvania-style platformer with the twist that it's entirely (well, nearly) underwater, with a heavy focus on exploring. In the game, you follow Naija, as she sets out on a lonesome journey to explore her world and find out more about it and herself. Her special abilities are singing and cooking. Be prepared to do that a lot when you play the game.

Le trailer
One of the iconic tracks of the game
This one is one of my personal favourites

(8) Gruntilda Winkybunion
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

Gruntilda Winkybunion (often called Grunty for short) is an evil witch and the prime antagonist of the Banjo-Kazooie series. She is pretty much what you would expect from an evil witch: she does magic and flies around on a broomstick. Her appearance and personality is quite comical and she likes to talk in rhymes.

Banjo-Kazooie intro
Gruntilda's Boss battle theme
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Gentleman of Dread

Re: WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B13: Naija vs. Gruntilda

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 am

GRUNTY! GRUNTY! GRUNTY!

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:53 am

Guh.

This matchup is HATE for me. D:
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am

Banjo-Kazooie series always, always needs more love.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 am

gruntilda is a fantastic character, if nothing else for the silly rhyming

i didn't like what i played of aquaria and i didn't really like naija all that much
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 am

how can you not like aquaria?

I personally loved every bit of it. Well maybe save for the ending, that was kind of silly.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 am

i dunno it was just kinda dull

i didn't get that far into it though, i think i made it through the first few levels and that was it

it might have been because whenever something is compared to a metroidvania my expectations for it get unrealistically high
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:19 am

Aw man, but you should get immersed (hur hur) in the story and the world and the exploring. That's what it's about. One of the absolute best parts is how the entire soundtrack connects to the story. The same motives run through every song and is a major plot drive. It's subtleties like that that make this game the jewel that it is.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:31 am

I just think it's legitimately better than Castlevania.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:51 am

That's not difficult.

(my hackles always rise whenever people use the term "metroidvania" - wouldn't "metroid" already cover everything? Symphony of the Night didn't contribute anything to the idiom)

Anyway I'm also kind of torn. Grunty was an excellent source of humour and a surprisingly challenging final boss in a game that was by and large very easy, but Naija's game had real heart and soul in it. Naija herself had a somewhat interesting story, even if it did kind of get put on hold for three quarters of the game, but that ending wasn't just silly, it was downright reprehensible given that there isn't going to be a sequel.

Naija probably gets my vote simply because Aquaria was a great game that needs more love - a statement that, for various reasons, I don't think anyone could honestly apply to any of the B-K games.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 am

The unfortunate thing about the sequel not happening is simply because of a falling out with the two creators post-release. Sad, but not much you can do :(

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:52 am

(my hackles always rise whenever people use the term "metroidvania" - wouldn't "metroid" already cover everything? Symphony of the Night didn't contribute anything to the idiom)
i'm not a huge fan of the term myself and was mostly using it because it had been already used in the topic

anyway i dunno it just wasn't my game, i didn't get very far in ecco the dolphin either, even though i love the idea of playing as a dolphin and the game was really cool

maybe it's because these water games subconsciously remind me of sonic the hedgehog water levels and trigger a deep fear of drowning

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:15 am

Grunty barely edges out on Naija, but it's enough to get her to round #2!