WWN Character Battle 2011 - THE FINAL!!! Miror B vs. Luigi

This is the Archive Forum. Old Debates, Tournaments and Threads worthy of note will be stored here.

There can be only one!

Poll ended at Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:00 am

Miror B (Pokémon Colosseum/XD)
61%
Luigi (Mario Series)
39%

Total votes: 18

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Character Battle 2011 - THE FINAL!!! Miror B vs. Luigi

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:00 am

So, after well over three months, we're finally there. The final battle. Yeah, I know that took forever. All in all, I think it took about 15 weeks to get to this point.

30 characters did not make it. Two remain: Miror B and Luigi. They need no introduction anymore. Instead, I've made this chart for you to enjoy:

Yeah, I know it's crude. Better than nothing, though.

Have fun picking your winner! There's four days for this poll, just like all the others.

In any case, I'd like to thank you all for your support and your votes throughout this Character Battle. There's a surprising amount of effort involved with hosting and especially keeping up with it, and I'd never have been able to make it to the end without your enthousiasm and activity!
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Re: WWN Character Battle 2011 - THE FINAL!!! Miror B vs. Lui

Post by Dragonite » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 am

Miror B used a Dragonite at some point.(A stolen corrupted one, but STILL, you get to steal it from him as well, score!)

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 am

Guess I'm doing that Miror B cosplay after all.

Frankdeslimste

Post by Frankdeslimste » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:46 am

Obvious (and last) Luigi vote.
I bet the bastard is throwing a party with a huge poster of a 2HP B-copter ~ Linkman 145
I like Frankie, so nyeh. ~ Linkman 145
Dammit now I have a bunch of emails in my inbox saying 'Dirty Penguin Sex Notification' ~ Thefalman

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 am

Terragent wrote:Guess I'm doing that Miror B cosplay after all.
:D
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:45 am

I've voted for Miror B, despite I dislike Pokémon. Just because Luigi is one of the dumbest video-game characters I've ever seen in my life.
My sig is a void.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 am

voted luigi

i think this is proof of my theory. if i hadn't voted luigi clearly he would be winning right now
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 am

One more time, let the music spin!
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

Bonesy
3DS Code: 0318 8318 0000

Post by Bonesy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 am

this board has no fudge taste

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I guess that's the point for some, compared to how the Gamefaqs battles go.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:56 am

Hey guys! We have a winner!

Miror B is the winner of the 4th WWN Character Battle!

Congratulations, WWN are now officially just a bunch of Pokémon fanboys... which is nothing new, really.

I hope you've had fun with this whole contest. I certainly did, and I thank you again for your support and your votes.

I'll keep this topic open for some post-contest discussion. I'll Pool Room it eventually though. Maybe you can give your thoughts on the tournament's setup and stuff like that, as well as ideas on how to improve things next time and ideas for new battles. I'd personally like to see a female only character battle next time, seeing as we pretty much only had guys this time around. We were seriously lacking females :/
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 pm

Yup, pokemon fanboy right here>_> It was a fun contest, although I didn't like/know the majority of characters. Link was booted fairly quickly, and Samus also didn't make it, so Mirror B and Luigi were the only characters I care about besides those :P. I noticed a characters chance of winning is influenced on the earlier battles. I think Mirror B winning is because a lot of the nominees were either odd characters like mirror and murray , and a lot of gritty characters not everybody knows and loves.

Also, female battle? Inb4 samus vs mia final.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:58 am

in other words dragonite you are part of the cancer that killed this contest

i think we all learned a very important lesson: certain people need to play moar video games.

including me, of course.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

Chilly

Post by Chilly » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 am

I thought the contest went well. Granted, I could have been a bit more knowledgeable about some characters from games I never played, but... <3 Miror B.! :3

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:05 am

of course you thought the contest went well

you pretty much voted against everyone i voted for

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:44 am

I say next time, it'd be better if each character had a photo linking to a wiki article or something in the earlier rounds. Made choices more interesting for characters I didn't know.
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 am

I don't really like linking to wikis for things such as this. That could really spoil things for people who haven't yet played the game. And those who have don't really need it anyway. I think it's probably better to write a few lines as host, or (if the host doesn't really know either) ask one of the people who nominated the character to write a little bit.

But yeah, spoilers are a no, and wikis means spoilers.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 am

you could always wiki them yourselves

however by that same logic, hpd could provide the link and a spoiler warning, and thus it's your choice whether to go to the link or not

also with a character like sinistar there's nothing to spoil, but wiki'ing him was enough to convince me to give him his vote- not just for the lulz but because the game mechanics behind him seem interesting.

i still think there probably should be a better nomination method. Essentially in this contest, we were able to force in characters we liked regardless of their appeal to WWN as a whole, which might account for why the contest was so odd. Maybe by allowing people to nominate 20 characters, we might get more overlap and thus can do a "if a character gets more than 1 nomination, it's in!" sorta thing.

on the other hand that just might result in the contest being a bunch of nintendo characters, which would indeed more adequately represent WWN's interests as a whole, but be a much lamer contest imo. so i dunno if i like that way better, or hpds' way.

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:25 pm

We could make the number of nominations matter a lot more than the rank of the nomination. Maybe stick all the people who only get a single nomination in their own bracket?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:53 am

Actually what happened with this system was that the points given to each nomination was largely irrelevant and only really mattered to me personally to decide on the seeding. The characters who eventually made it in were all characters who were mentioned more than once (minus only the Prince from Prince of Persia who scored only 3 points from two nominations), together with the eight remaining 10 point nominations (who got seeds 6 and 7).

So yeah, the difference between last time was pretty non-existent. But yeah, of course I'm open to different nomination schemes. One requirement I'd like to give it, though, is that we shouldn't end up with a bigger bracket than 32, and no elimination rounds, as that only makes it drag on a lot longer than it should. Keep in mind that this already took over three months to complete, and that was with me being actually punctual with the battles for once (ok yeah so I was out for three weeks halfway through but still).

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:40 am

oddly enough this didn't feel all that long

i suppose that's just compared to normal wwn pacing, though

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 am

Wait, this contest was happening for three months?

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Post subject: WWN Character Battle 2011 - Nominations
PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun 2011, 19:14:12

Crystal Guard 292

Post by Crystal Guard 292 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:42 am

I'll be pondering new ideas for nomination systems.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 am

http://www.warsworldnews.com/hpd/cb11nominations.txt is the URL for the full nominations list, btw. This one is from after the re-count when I realised I'd made a few errors when counting points (Eddie Riggs didn't make it in for example, though he had enough points).

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:47 am

Pkdragon wrote:oddly enough this didn't feel all that long

Maybe that is because yours took at least double that time... <_<;

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:16 am

I'm triple-posting, but whatever.

Maybe an idea for a nomination system. How about some kind of double nomination? With which I mean that everyone can nominate their own characters but also give additional points for characters who've already been nominated.

For instance:
Everyone gets 5 (or 10) new characters to nominate, with the weighted list as this time (maybe 5 points max or something). But on top of that, they may also distribute totals of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 points on characters from the existing nominations contributed by others. If the host keeps a running list of nominations and point totals, it's pretty clear to see who will make it and who won't during the nominations themselves.

This might maybe give us a better representation of characters popular on WWN. Not sure how it'll work out, but it's one thing.

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:14 am

HPD wrote:
Pkdragon wrote:oddly enough this didn't feel all that long

Maybe that is because yours took at least double that time... <_<;

i never did a character contest

did i do a character contest?

i don't remember doing a character contest

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 am

viewtopic.php?p=300550#p300550

<_<;
Pkdragon wrote:absolutely no effort required on my part so i see no reason why it'll die.
Which it did, of course. Fal took it up afterwards and finished it. Still I laugh when I read this again, though.

If this is your way of expressing your shame then I'm sorry to have brought it back up. BUT YOU ASKED

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 am

oh i did do one didn't i

well that was a mistake on all our parts, letting me take initiative and start something

silly young me, i still hadn't come to the realization that i cannot actually be trusted with anything.

EDIT: read through the topic i made it through the WHOLE NOMINATIONS TOPIC without losing interest

i consider that a success

man the vitality of youth i miss it

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Great. I don't have internet for a while and you fudge vote Murray out of the contest.

I mean, damn. You guys suck.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett