WWN Character Battle 2012: Ladies Only! - Nominations

This is the Archive Forum. Old Debates, Tournaments and Threads worthy of note will be stored here.
HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Character Battle 2012: Ladies Only! - Nominations

Post by HPD » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 am

So, here we are again. Character Battle 2012 is go!

I've been debating whether or not to do this one since board activity seems to be flagging. But then again, this might spark some activity and discussion.

So, what's the plan? It's going to be largely the same as last year: everyone gets to nominate 10 characters for the character battle. For these 10 characters, you distribute points amongst them: 10 points for the character you like the most, 9 points for your #2 etc. up to 1 point for your number ten. EASY

The twist is that you may only nominate female characters. What counts as a female character, you ask? Well, besides the obvious, if a character is transsexual or has an otherwise complicated gender, the character counts if referred to as a 'she' (example: Final Fight's Poison), she's allowed. Also, if a character is technically genderless and/or mechanical (androids etc.), if they are actual characters, they count if they are referred to as females (example: Portal's GLaDOS). Inanimate objects (Tetris blocks or something like that) are NOT allowed as they cannot be seen as female. Characters who only look like females but are male and referred to as such are NOT allowed (example: FE7's Lucius, Bridget from Guilty Gear). Additionally, all characters should originate from a video game. Video game adaptions of movies/comics/etc. are not allowed.

There you go. Nominate ten, score big! Manipulating nominations to get characters in that you like is not only allowed but encouraged. Last time we had 14 people nominating. I would like to match that, so get nominating!

The nominations will run for probably a week or so. Up until it's closed, you may edit your list as much as you like. Make sure to include the game/series your character is from.

closing comment: make it sexy

My tentative list:
1. Katt (Breath of Fire II)
2. GLaDOS (Portal)
3. Naija (Aquaria)
4. Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
5. Mia (Fire Emblem 9)
6. Tira (Soul Calibur series)
7. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
8. Tabitha (Days of Ruin)
9. Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken series)
10. Aika (Skies of Arcadia)

EDIT: Switched a few for higher glory
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Gentleman of Dread

Re: WWN Character Battle 2012: Ladies Only! - Nominations

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:25 am

1. Kelly Chambers (Mass Effect/ME2)
2. Samantha Traynor (Mass Effect/ME3)
3. Lash (Advance Wars)
4. Samantha Byrne (Gears of War 3)
5. Wendy Oldbag (Phoenix Wright)
6. Miranda Keyes (Halo)
7. Lulu (Final Fantasy X)
8. Lydia (Skyrim- ONLY BECAUSE I MARRIED HER)
9. Posion (Final Fight)
10. EDI (Mass Effect 2/3)

(edited)
(ps everyone put Traynor though)
Last edited by Gentleman of Dread on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 pm

It's possible I'll change this list as long as nominations remain open, but here's some stuff.

1. Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
2. Ema Skye (Ace Attorney)
3. Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia)
4. Zoey (Left 4 Dead)
5. Lash (AW)
6. Lily Zanotto (Psychonauts)
7. Little Sister(s) (Bioshock)
8. Vivian (Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door)
9. Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
10. The Naughty Sorceress (Kingdom of Loathing)

Does no transsexuals mean Birdo, Vivian, and other characters who change gender across countries are disqualified?
Last edited by Atticus on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Does no transsexuals mean Birdo, Vivian, and other characters who change gender across countries are disqualified?
If they are referred to as a 'she', it works for me.

More specifically, Birdo was established female by Nintendo, so she's allowed. Vivian would group in with Poison as a transsexual referred to as female, so she's also allowed.

Bridget is just a male who looks (and dresses) like a female. He is NOT allowed.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

ThrawnFett

Post by ThrawnFett » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 am

1) Riven (League of Legends)
2) Epona (LoZ:OoT)
3) Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
4) Tifa (FF7)
5) Birdo (SMB2)
6) Ms. Pac Man (Ms. Pac Man)
7) Navi (LoZ:OoT)
8) Nana (Ice Climbers)
9) Glados (Portal)
10) Samus Aran (Metroid)

FIXED!
Last edited by ThrawnFett on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wow. We went from a cynical look at history repeating itself and Pichu swearing to Veggie Tales. Thrawn is definitely online. ~Pichu
You know, I have this feeling that one day your sig will be nothing but an archive of witticisms I've made over the years. ~Pichu
"Frankly, I wish that everybody was a little more like you. We'd certainly see less asinine behaviour all over the world." -Terragent

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Ahaha, man.

Let's see...

1. Kaelyn the Dove (Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer)
2. Vanessa Schneider (P.N.03)
3. Xelha (Baten Kaitos)
4. Anna Navarre (Deus Ex)
5. Jade (Beyond Good & Evil)
6. Lucca (Chrono Trigger)
7. Mia (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn)
8. The Naughty Sorceress (Kingdom of Loathing)
9. Lin (AW: DoR)
10. Samus Aran (Metroid)

EDITED EDITED EDITED
Last edited by Terragent on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:01 pm

Keep them coming people. So far I'm seeing some good stuff.

Get your characters in!

Narts

Post by Narts » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:46 am

1. SHODAN (System Shock)
2. Poison (Final Fight)
3. Giana (The Great Giana Sisters)
4. Ms. Fortune (Skullgirls)
5. Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
6. Ms. Pac-Man (Ms. Pac-Man)
7. Leona Heidern (King of Fighters)
8. Lucca (Chrono Trigger)
9. Lin (Advance Wars)
10. Miranda Lawson (Ass... Mass Effect)
Last edited by Narts on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:17 am

Okay then

1. Vivian (PM)
2. Rosalina (Mario Galaxy)
3. Tatl (Majora's Mask)
4. Samus
5. Terra (FFVI)
6. Aeris (FFVII)
7. Sami (Advance Wars)
8. Lucca (Chrono Trigger)
9. uh... Nell
10. Midna

seconds galore
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:17 am

1. Princess Peach (yeah i went there)
2.Tali (Mass Effect)
3. Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile)
4. Fang (Final Fantasy XIII)
5. Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)
6. Riven (League of Legends)
7. Gruntilda (Banjo Kazooie)
8. Lulu (League of Legends)
9. Marisa Kirisame (Touhou)
10. Samus Aran

EDITED a second time and now they are in a real order. i think i'm done. wwn had better do the right thing and carry peach to victory

also give me a break i'm currently doing a run through ffxiii

EDITEDAGAIN: changed order around slightly after hpd's post. samus doesn't need anymore help so she's 10, grunty needed to be lower, and remembered that touhou existed and threw in marisa for beam spam and old time's sake, as well as to create a 3-witch combo
Last edited by Pkdragon on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:00 am

I suppose if all you play is Wii you wouldn't know a lot of them but what's so hard about naming 10 female video game characters

We haven't even mentioned the obvious ones yet, like Lara Croft or Chun-Li

Or are we trying to out-hipster each other or something, that's okay, suits me fine

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:57 pm

well it's not naming 10 female video characters, it's naming 10 female characters that i find to be especially memorable and interesting (and being hot helps), from games that i've actually played (Lara Croft, sadly, is out, as is Chun-Li). The main problem is that I'm a bitter jaded old man and am trying to remember which out of the many rpgs i've played have female leads were actually worth a damn, because the vast majority of them have about as much uniqueness as something that isn't very unique.

if i was trying to be hipster samus would not be anywhere on my list. and god forbid lightning appear on my list. what i am being is a derp who overthinks lists but don't worry i do this with every list, this time i just didn't have enough time to finish it so i just posted half of it.
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

89305092R

Post by 89305092R » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 pm

1) Zoe the Fairy (Spyro: A Hero's Tail)
2) Lash (AW)
3) GLaDOS (Portal)
4) Ms. Pac Man (Ms. Pac Man)
5) Aroma (Monster Rancher Advance)
6) The Sorceress (Spyro: Year of the Dragon)
7) Sami (AW)
8) Selena (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
9) Mia Fey (Ace Attorney)
10) Zelda (LoZ)

All glory to the Fairy!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:45 pm

Pkdragon wrote:what i am being is a derp who overthinks lists but don't worry i do this with every list, this time i just didn't have enough time to finish it so i just posted half of it.
Let me say again that it is encouraged to game the system. Put in some of other people's nominations in your own ballot to push them higher. Make deals with others to get them to list your characters on lower spots in their nominations in exchange for you doing the same! Most likely, only your top characters will make it in if they are somewhat obscure, so why not spending the lower spots on giving other characters a little bump?

Think back to last year's tournament. Your #1 picks there were guaranteed in, and that's likely to happen again. At the bottom, I picked characters with multiple nominations before #2 picks with only one nomination as more people were likely to know that character better. Also if you're doubting on which character to nominate from a game/series you like, check back with the others first and see if someone has already nominated a character from it that you can back up so your game is more likely to be represented.

Atticus

Post by Atticus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:10 am

The bottom half of my list is basically "Well, I've thrown out the ones I actually want in, might as well think of some intentional filler for laughs". I thought the Naughty Sorceress was a dead giveaway there. If I see another nomination that I really want to support, I'll change mine.

I think when you're looking for similar characters from the bottom of lists, you probably should look at the game/series too. There are a number of nominations of various women from the same game/series, so clearly multiple nominators have played the game(s) and just prefer different characters.
"Attie, man. When did you become this totally kickass dude?"- Linky
"Personally, I'm perfectly fine with anything that makes this world not suck to live in"- SJCrew

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:33 am

well i'm pretty happy with my list and i don't really care if other people have voted for them or not, i just wanted to make an accurate list, and i feel i succeeded. the characters on the bottom are just characters that are fun but i wouldn't really care if they got into the contest or not, while the characters towards the top are generally awesome.

it's not intending to game the system it's just a lot of characters i currently like right now. that, and princess mother fudge peach.

i'll admit that i'm disappointed that i'm the only person who nominated tali but it can't be helped

ThunderWalker

Post by ThunderWalker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:21 pm

I found Sami and and Lash the most unique female characters out the games I've played. Can't remember any other female characters - probably since most of the games I played where even entirely devoid of female characters - and some even of any sort of NPC.

Oh wait:
1. Lash
2. Sami
*and 8 fillers :P *

I never played RPG's, so that explains why I don't know many characters I guess (as I'm pretty sure there are plenty of interesting characters out there).
Last edited by ThunderWalker on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My sig is a void.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:58 am

1. Trish (Devil May Cry) - Most stylish woman EVER.
2. Liara (Mass Effect) - No explanation required.
3. Spin (Zero Team) - Old game is old.
4. Morrigan (Darkstalkers) - Actually since MvC (the first one).
5. Tira (Soul Calibur III) - 2nd outfit ow yeah.
6. Shanoa (Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia) - Most awesome.
7. Leona Heidern (King of Fighters) - Kickass as a woman can be.
8. Chell (Portal) - And stuff.
9. Nevan (Devil May Cry III) - Hot green-skinned, red-haired succubus clad in BATS that transforms into an electric guitar-scythe that fires bats and lightning. Aw yeah.
10. Casey Lynch (Guitar Hero) - So many hours spent with her in GH III.

There are many other I'd love to include, like Street Fighter's EX Sharon, Carmen Sandiego, Mai Shiranui, Olga Gurlukovich, Rose from Legend of Dragoon, Ruby from WET, Shiva from Final Fantasy, Commander Shepard, KoF's Angel, Catherine's Catherine (hurrr)... Samus, Poison and Bayonetta had already been mentioned somewhere so I gave them less preference.

Well, whatever.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Narts

Post by Narts » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:50 am

I don't think Bayonetta stands any chance unless somebody seconds her

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:17 am

Yo Thrawn your list has 11 characters in it. I'll disqualify your bottom pick if you don't change that.

Also 10 nominations so far. Can we match last year's 14? I hope so

Quick count tells me that only 8 characters score more than 10 points right now. That's too few! Back up others, people!

ThrawnFett

Post by ThrawnFett » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 am

Fixed my list and reordered them!
Wow. We went from a cynical look at history repeating itself and Pichu swearing to Veggie Tales. Thrawn is definitely online. ~Pichu
You know, I have this feeling that one day your sig will be nothing but an archive of witticisms I've made over the years. ~Pichu
"Frankly, I wish that everybody was a little more like you. We'd certainly see less asinine behaviour all over the world." -Terragent

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am

Only skimmed the topic. Didn't see any other voting topics. AM I TOO LATE?

Not taking the risk. Here's a quick list from the first ten good female characters who come to mind.

Jynx (Pokémon) [Scaring the crumpets out of you makes her a viable contest vote.]
Commander Shepard (Mass Effect) [Shepard, male or female has some amazing lines. Jane Shepard just delivers them better.]
Selphie Tilmitt (Final Fantasy VIII) [Because of that one scene where she says "Up yours!" And every other scene with her in.]
Chloe Frazer (Uncharted) [I'VE NOT PLAYED UNCHARTED 3 DON'T SPOIL IT IF HER CHARACTER BECOMES crumpets.]
Miranda Lawson (Mass Effect) [Because she turns "Mass Effect" into "Ass Erect" hur hur. Also because I actually really like her character.]
Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) [Well, she's just a good character. Strong but frail, usually the one who keeps the group together, and when you know she's feeling depressed, you know crumpets's got so real.]
Samantha Traynor (Mass Effect 3) [Because when I said I'd appease GoD, I lied.]
Aika (Skies of Arcadia) [Lambda Burst. And a good personality, I guess.]
Samus Aran (Metroid) [I'm only putting her here because I've not played Metroid: Other M.]
Sami (Advance Wars) [If I need to explain, you're on the wrong website.]
Last edited by Shift Breaker on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 pm

You are on time. This topic will be open for a few more days so I can get two or three more lists in.
Shift Breaker wrote:Taylor Swift (Band Hero) [fudge you, this counts.]
no it doesn't

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 pm

In no particular order:

Naija (Aquaria)
Anna Navarre (Deus Ex)
EDI (Mass Effect 2/3)
Samus (Metroid everything)
Lin (Days of Ruin)
Nell (AW)
Sorceress (Diablo 2)
Gruntilda (Banjo Kazooie)
Giana (Great Giana Sisters)
Celes (FF6)

Enjoy?
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 pm

PICHU'S LIST OF HIGH QUALITY CHARACTERS FROM HIGH QUALITY GAMES

1. ISABELLA (ADVANCE WARS: DAYS OF RUIN)
2. Raine Sage (HPD is a jerk)
3. DOUBLE (SKULLGIRLS)
4. MS. FORTUNE (SKULLGIRLS)
5. LEI-LEI (DARKSTALKERS)
6. ATHENA "PSYCHO BALLS ALL DAY EVERY DAY" ASAMIYA (THE KING OF FIGHTERS)
7. I-NO (GUILTY GEAR)
8. AEGIS (PERSONA 3, PERSONA 4: THE ULTIMATE IN MAYONAKA ARENA)
9. KULA DIAMOND (THE KING OF FIGHTERS)
10. LEONA HEIDERN (THE KING OF FIGHTERS)
Kanzer wrote:7. Leona Heidern (King of Fighters) - Kickass as a woman can be.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:2. Raine Sage (HPD is a jerk)
Hahahaha.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Alright, I think I'll collect nominations on Friday since we've now got 13 entries, so if you still want your list in/edit your list, better do it before then!

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:55 pm

I don't know who forbade it in the first place anymore(Xen?), but.. raine smiley back if she wins this? >_> *hides*

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 am

I am disapointed with the lack of Kelly Chambers from all of you.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 am

HPD wrote:You are on time. This topic will be open for a few more days so I can get two or three more lists in.
Shift Breaker wrote:Taylor Swift (Band Hero) [fudge you, this counts.]
no it doesn't
world wars news? more like world fascism news m i rite?

Fine. I'll change my list to a way that appeases Gentleman of Dread.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:05 am

Counting the votes now. Stay tuned.