WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B5: Samus vs. Kaelyn

This is the Archive Forum. Old Debates, Tournaments and Threads worthy of note will be stored here.

Samus or Kaelyn?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:41 am

Image (1) Samus Aran (Metroid Series)
69%
Image (8) Kaelyn the Dove (Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer)
31%

Total votes: 13

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B5: Samus vs. Kaelyn

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:41 am

Full steam ahead, people! We're at the fifth battle and not gonna stop! Another top favourite enters the battlefield this time: Samus Aran! Will she live up to expectations, or will Kaelyn the Dove, her opponent this round, surprise everyone and win against the Nintendo icon? You decide!

Kaelyn's introduction snippet comes courtesy of Terragent! Thank you!

---

(1) Samus Aran
Metroid Series
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid: Other M
Super Smash Bros. Series

ImageImage

Samus is one of those characters that I'd hardly need to write an introduction about. She's been a Nintendo icon since the original Metroid game first appeared on the NES in 1986, one of the first video games ever to have a female protagonist. Samus is a bounty hunter in space and comes equipped with a power suit and a whole bunch of awesome. If you really feel the need for more of an introduction, just click on that "Metroid in 5 minutes" link and watch the show ;)

Metroid in 5 minutes
So retro
I just love trailers, this one is from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Title Theme

(8) Kaelyn the Dove
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Kaelyn the Dove is a half-celestial priestess who has devoted her life to overturning a truly cosmically fudge-up situation in the Forgotten Realms; she joins the game's protagonist initially as a favour to her siblings, but ends up attaching herself to the cause through the course of the game. Despite her somewhat depressing worldview, she's got a better claim to be considered "good" than pretty much every single deity in the pantheon.

It does not end well for her.

Gameplay footage, yo
Really nice scene with Kaelyn
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Shift Breaker

Re: WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B5: Samus vs. Kaelyn

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:46 am

Huh. I never noticed that Zero Suit Samus wore heels until now.

Gonna' have to vote for the visible heels.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

monkymeet
3DS Code: 3480-3067-3928

Post by monkymeet » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:27 pm

i will always have the hots for samus

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Shift Breaker wrote:Huh. I never noticed that Zero Suit Samus wore heels until now.

Only in Other M's (terrible) redesigns.

Anyway, I'll always vote for interesting characters over silent protagonists, so Kaelyn gets the vote.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Good grief, did Nintendo really do that?

I thought voting for Kaelyn was going to be hard.

Shift Breaker

Post by Shift Breaker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:
Shift Breaker wrote:Huh. I never noticed that Zero Suit Samus wore heels until now.

Only in Other M's (terrible) redesigns.

Anyway, I'll always vote for interesting characters over silent protagonists, so Kaelyn gets the vote.
Looks like that's another reason to avoid Other M, then.
"The part where you all shut up happens now." ~ thefalman
"I actually like to think of myself as a younger, hipper, more alive Nostradamus." ~ Treed
"Shifty, if I wasn't as manly a man as I am, I'd totally ask you out. And hope you'd wear that topless dude to impress me. In another lifetime, perhaps." ~ Nemmy
"Majora's Mask may by the only game I've played where someone was mooning me the entire time and I didn't care." ~ ThrawnFett

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:05 am

Still need to finish prime 2... **** spider guardian >_> Morph ball is fun, but many of those puzzles are EVIL. And this is a mandatory boss puzzle that drains you health with no save point nearby! *sigh*

Anyway, Samus it is.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:27 am

I like Kaelyn and she also has one of the prettiest voices ever, but I favor a good run and gun platformer with fast-paced action.

I'm voting Samus because Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission were some of the must fun I had with my GBA back in the day, and believe it or not those are still my favourite Metroid Games.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

Narts

Post by Narts » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:03 am

metroid is the worst character ever

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:39 am

once again i am faced with a character i know and a character i don't know

once again i am voting for the character i don't know because i don't want the character i do know to win

not that samus is bad she's just kinda... quiet, and she doesn't need my help because my money is on her winning this contest anyway
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Dragonite

Post by Dragonite » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:36 am

Quiet? Uh.. well, that USED to be true, but er... point invalid I guess >_>

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am

other m doesn't exist
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Pkdragon wrote:other m doesn't exist
Quoted for goddamned truth.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Terragent

Post by Terragent » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 pm

I have no idea what you two are talking about.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:45 am

It's 9-4 to Samus, so she's clearly won this one! We'll meet her in the next round and say goodbye to Kaelyn. She was an interesting character, but no match for Samus.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis