WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B10: Poison vs. EDI

This is the Archive Forum. Old Debates, Tournaments and Threads worthy of note will be stored here.

Poison or EDI?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 am

Image (4) Poison (Final Fight)
64%
Image (5) EDI (Mass Effect 2/3)
36%

Total votes: 14

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B10: Poison vs. EDI

Post by HPD » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 am

Yet again I present you with a new battle in our non-stop ladies only Character Battle. For those of you just joining in: 32 female video game characters have been nominated by our fantastic community to participate in this popularity contest, out of which one will eventually be crowned winner. You can all cast your vote in every ongoing battle for the course of the four days that every match will last.

You can keep track of everything here.

Right now I'll give you none other than the hot transsexual Poison and the sexy AI EDI. This might just be a close one!

You can still vote on GLaDOS vs. Zoe if you haven't done so yet!

---

(4) Poison
Final Fight
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
Final Fight Revenge
SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos
Street Fighter X Tekken

Meet Poison, a continuous source of controversy amongst gamers all over the world. The subject of debate? Her gender. Poison first appeared in the Japanese version of Final Fight, but was swapped out for male thugs in the North American release due to objections against violence against women (can you believe it?). Turns out that Poison wasn't exactly female to begin with, but was listed by Capcom as a 'Newhalf'. Anyway, after her debut Poison continued to appear frequently in games in both the Final Fight and Street Fighter franchise (in the latter mostly as manager of the giant wrestler Hugo Andore). More recently, she's a playable character in the new game Street Fighter X Tekken.

A New Challenger Appears...
"I'm not just hotter than you, I also just kicked your ass!"
Poison in the original Japanese Final Fight

(5) EDI
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3

EDI stands for Enhanced Defense Intelligence, and is an AI aboard the Normandy represented by a blue sphere of light with a female voice. She manages the electronic warfare defense on board the ship, and is a wealth of information. In Mass Effect 3, she's got a visual upgrade. EDI can at times show remarkable humanly behaviour.

The new and improved EDI
Or, if you like, some of her old spherical self
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Narts

Re: WWN Character Battle 2012 - R1B10: Poison vs. EDI

Post by Narts » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:10 am

I don't know whose bright idea was to nominate all the most boring characters from Mass Effect possible
They must have spent hours brainstorming how to get the absolute worst ones in without a single worthwhile entry

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 am

the mass effect people couldn't quite settle on the same characters to nominate as they had divided their votes among seven different ME characters

if you think they're boring or not is your opinion
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Gentleman of Dread

Post by Gentleman of Dread » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:30 am

Kelly and Sam are god damn interesting shut up

Pkdragon

Post by Pkdragon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:37 am

Narts wrote:I don't know whose bright idea was to nominate all the most boring characters from Mass Effect possible
They must have spent hours brainstorming how to get the absolute worst ones in without a single worthwhile entry
god this

this so much

btw i'm back
HPD wrote:You know the only thing on the agenda of the Squirtle Squad is pure, unadulterated chaos.

That, and watching Euros squirm.

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Deoxy wrote:edi was fun as the normandy. as a femmebot she pisses me off to no end
poison is great, tho
You mean you liked her more when her physical presence amounted to a talking space vagina? I thought her character was more complex and relatable as a fembot in 3, scis.

Narts

Post by Narts » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 pm

not to mention more fudge

talking sex doll -> instant great character

Treedweller

Post by Treedweller » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:23 am

I found it interesting because EDI was more than a fembot body--she was coming to terms with both its physical limitations and social advantages. Her story arc could've taken those ideas further, though.

Kanzer

Post by Kanzer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 am

That was a joke, Mel.

I've always liked Poison, but I loved EDI in ME3, actually. Her design looks gorgeous to me, it reminded me of the old style sci-fi fembots and I am quite sure it was no accident. Her face and body shape are different from any other cast members and even her voice got a little upgrade. The best thing about it (putting aside having EDI on missions) is taking everything that happened when EDI got installed into the Normandy (2nd video in the first opst) to the next level, and how it all begins to shape the AI's personality into a soul. This is not only a main plot in the Mass Effect series, it also is quite different from the Geth evolutionary process, for example.

I could babble about this a lot but well, I guess you get my point. EDI strutting about the galaxy and actually interacting with people outside the Normandy in a way different from artillery fire was an awesome thing for so many reasons.
if you burn down all of spain in your quest for thrills, that doesn't mean you get to move to a new country. it means you have to clean up afterward - Deoxy
I won the Pointless Adventure of Nopor Puss - winning command: FALCOWN PAUNCH the Pac-Man.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 am

Well, despite all of that, Poison won this with 9 against 5 so we'll be seeing Poison back and sadly wave goodbye to EDI.