War Room High Scores - AW1 Version.

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
ALAKTORN

Re: War Room High Scores - AW1 Version.

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:52 pm

updated scorelist with Terra Maw Eagle 15/999 and Kita Straight Drake 8/999 by fidelcastro

the link works again http://alaktorn.wrvids.com/aw1warroomscores.txt

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:53 am

added Julian's 5/999 Spann

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:24 am

I know this is for War Room but I've made a vid about Fog of War, the last Field Training missions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ejc5LhzqQ

opinions? I haven't been able to win in 4 days, has anybody tried to complete the Field Training missions ASAP?

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:37 pm

ALAKTORN wrote:I know this is for War Room but I've made a vid about Fog of War, the last Field Training missions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ejc5LhzqQ

opinions? I haven't been able to win in 4 days, has anybody tried to complete the Field Training missions ASAP?
You can rout this mission in 4 days will full rank; I actually even have a full walkthrough written. You'll need to make better use of your indirect and infantry units (than in the video), of course. As for Field Training in general, I have attempted it, but I don't remember if I ever completed (writing) it.

-Translucent Air

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:56 am

Translucent Air wrote:You can rout this mission in 4 days will full rank; I actually even have a full walkthrough written.
oh, nice to know, I thought rout would be impossible due to the Lander

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:54 am

a guy improved my FoW strat by revealing the Rockets from S and attacking them with MD only from N, they then move 1W 1N instead of attacking capturing Inf… lolwat

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:53 pm

It's a little difficult to follow you since you're referencing tool-assisted speedrun topics not specifically alluded to in this thread, but those actions follow the known AI programming objectives exactly.

Once the allied medium tank attacks the (eastern) enemy rockets, it is now crippled (2HP or less) and desires to move towards an enemy base for repair. If the player reveals and attacks from the north and west, the player traps the enemy rockets unit and prevents it from moving towards a repair site, so it instead opts to attack the highest priority available unit. (This is essentially why a 4-day capture is impossible: the crippled enemy rockets will attack the allied HQ-capturing infantry on Day 3, preventing a two-day capture by lowering it to 9HP. There is virtually no combination of moves that would allow both a reveal of the rockets from the south on Day 3 and sufficient crippling/destroying attack(s) on the offending unit, especially when coupled with the requirements of placing the HQ-capturing infantry into position on Day 2.)

Calculating frames per run, since an extra forced lengthy battle scene animation (due to the limited animation selection options in Field Training) is avoided by attacking the rockets only once, a net gain is achieved. In terms of a speedrun based on frames per run, a 4-day rout likely wouldn't be helpful, since there is an overall increase the number of confrontations.

-Translucent Air

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:59 pm

I thought the same thing about repairing, but it looks stupid when you can't actually reach it and are gonna lose next day… AW1's AI is pretty bad

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:32 am

=) Rivers Four has to be renamed 9 Four! In fact the strat is the same as Blackbird's D2D, except that 1st inf reaches Grit's HQ, and 3rd inf Max's HQ (which is then capped at d8). I dont think 8 days are possible...

edit: looks like requirement for 8 days victory is to be 7 sides from HQ at d5, in range of recon =/ (but maybe recon can be built west), and d6 in range of a tank too, and no way to get a 2nd inf as lure because it would require to fully move APC2, and Max's tank avoids it. So 9/999 looks perfected, as even if we could get that tank built in repair mode, the path to HQ would be blocked...
Last edited by fcastro on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 am

great job fidel :)

added your score to the list

mjemirzian1

Post by mjemirzian1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 am

Can't believe I missed that Olaf's Navy 5 day capture. It's such a simple oversight too (loading the APC into the Lander instead of driving it on land). Oh well, guess I fail (993 vs 991). Although I will note that Olaf's Navy AC 6 day elimination is the far more difficult task to figure out.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:08 am

...huh. It's MJ Emirzian.

I'll be damned.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:11 am

I've been on a War Room binge lately.

Got through Terra Maw, Kita Straight and Point Stormy on AW1, which I had never done before. Only in Kita I got the 999 though.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 am

Down to Mial's Hope, Bounty River, Dire Range and Rivers Four. None of them feel very simple. =/

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am

Mial's Hope and Dire Range are easier than they look. They're ludicrously easy to HQ rush, just send a transport copter to the HQ, maybe wait a bit for it to be clear. All you have to worry about is the power score.

I don't remember much about Mial's Hope, but on Dire Range I found it useful to send a battle copter towards the infantry in the middle of the map and make that one of my kills - I think you need three if you win fast? Maybe it was four.

Bounty River is just plain painful. I have some notes on it somewhere in here that may make it slightly less so. What I remember is that it's a lot easier if Sonja builds her first rocket in the north, but that's fairly rare. It's easier if you use Sami or Drake for the extra lander movement, if you're just looking to complete it then do that.

As for Rivers Four, the easiest way is to send two infantry to take the southwest bases, then savescum until Grit sends literally every one of his units west and take his HQ with a single infantry. If you don't want to do that, probably the best alternative is to just aggressively advance on Max (who has terrible AI) and take his HQ, then start churning out units from the southwest to start fighting Grit.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:06 pm

I've been blazing through with Sami. Occasionally the HQ capture has been so simple I can't help but wonder if it would have been simpler with Max, but I guess I can't really foretell that without a few playthroughs.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks for the advice Fogel.

A-ranked Mial's hope, could've S'd by playing slightly aggresive, but alas.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:18 am

Got through DIre Range. Speed and Technique are simple enough, but Eagle builds so many units Power is a problem :/. A-Rank.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 am

S-ranked Bounty river-- got it in 28 days, which is probably a day or two slower than necessary, 955 pts.

Now, by far the best CO for the job was Grit. Building rockets from the mainland bases was a Godsend and basically ripped through Sonja's landers and subs with ease. After I had amassed enough rockets, all Sonja did was build subs and landers to replace the lost ones, and I was able to easily send a couple of MD Tanks to her land. By the end I had so much money I started massing battleships, which simply spelled doom for ol' Sonny Yah.

I could've definitely rushed the mission by two or three days by sending an APC instead of one of the two MD Tanks. So my adventures in War Room can be summed up as "Yeah, you know, I could have S-ranked that but I didn't."

EDIT: The speed limit is 22? Can be done I suppose, but that's steep!

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty ridiculous map to 999. As I said before, extra lander movement is the easiest way. Without that, it tends to be a pain.

I 999ed it with Kanbei and I don't even want to talk about that.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 am

Well, I beat Rivers Four. Kind of a crumpets approach, I caught Max's HQ by day 8, and then fighting Grit I found no easy way to tackle his cluster of rockets+arty without losing a unit or fifteen. So yeah, A-rank.

And with this I finish the AW1 War Room! Never thought I'd get around to it, but alas.

The toughest missions were definitely Terra Maw and Bounty River. Rivers Four was kinda painful because I found no easy way to take Grit out early, before he could set up. Point Stormy was annoying, Olaf planted a MD Tank on his HQ on both tries, and it just made it a pain to rush him with Sami--I'd have to try with Max, but Sami's MD Tank vs. Olaf's MD Tank on HQ is 2 damage. That fudge just healed back up.

I have 7 missions without S-Ranks, I think:

- Sole Harbor
- Point Stormy
- Terra Maw
- Rivers Four
- Ridge Island
- Dire Range
- Mial's Hope

...I'll have to get on it some time.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:12 am

Yeah, the only easy way to take out Grit on Rivers Four is to savescum. It's pretty hilarious taking his HQ with a lone infantry, though.

Dire Range and Mial's Hope shouldn't take you long to get, seeing as Power is the only issue there. I should put together guides for those two maps, Egg Islands, and Ring Islands, seeing as the strategy for all of them is "HQ rush and hope you can wrangle something for Power", with Ring Islands being the most random about it.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Linkman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Only thing still not done on cart... though I might try S-ranking AC, which I have a low 900s A-rank on.

Hit Gold Dragon today. Booyah!