Advance Wars 1 Campaign - Optimal Completion Times

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Translucent Air

Advance Wars 1 Campaign - Optimal Completion Times

Post by Translucent Air » Sun May 11, 2008 1:11 am

It seems I've turned my attention to the original Advance Wars as of late. For sake of reference, I am listing the discoveries and method of completion for each CO here as progress is made. I've attempted to differ methods and completion strategies from known work, particularly baekdoosan and MJEmirzian, and may post strategies at a later date. All scores listed obtain the full S-Rank.

It's War!
  • 5 Days - Rout - Andy
Gunfighter!
  • 7 Days - Rout, HQ Capture - Andy
Air Ace!
  • 5 Days - Rout - Andy
Max Strikes!
  • 5 Days - HQ Capture - Andy
Max's Folly!
  • 6 Days - Survival - Max
Olaf's Navy!
  • 6 Days - HQ Capture - Andy
  • 6 days - Rout, HQ Capture - Max
Olaf's Sea Strike!
  • 6 Days - HQ Capture - Max
Max Strikes!
  • 3 Days - Rout - Max
Sniper!
  • 6 Days - Rout, HQ Capture - Andy
  • 5 Days - HQ Capture - Max
Blizzard Battle!
  • 6 Days - Property Capture - Andy
  • 6 Days - Property Capture - Max
History Lesson!
  • 5 Days - Rout, HQ Capture - Max
Sami's Debut!
  • 5 Days - HQ Capture - Andy
  • 5 Days - Rout, HQ Capture - Max
  • 5 Days - HQ Capture - Sami
Kanbei Arrives!
  • 4 Days - Rout - Andy
  • 4 Days - Rout - Max
  • 4 Days - Rout - Sami
Mighty Kanbei!
  • 6 Days - Rout, HQ Capture - Andy
  • 6 Days - HQ Capture - Sami
Kanbei's Error?
Divide & Conquer!
Sami Marches On!
  • 5 Days - Property Capture - Sami
Sonja's Goal!

-Translucent Air
Last edited by Translucent Air on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 am, edited 5 times in total.

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Re: Advance Wars 1 Campaign - Optimal Completion Times

Post by DTaeKim » Sun May 11, 2008 2:53 am

They appear to be faster.
What can change the nature of a man?

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Thu May 15, 2008 1:34 am

Well, they do attempt to be the fastest scores. It wouldn't make a good case for "optimal" if they were otherwise.

I've probably done some of these before, though I no longer have the documentation with me. Case in point: I've upgraded "History Lesson!" to a rout completion. I'm aiming for 4 days with everyone on "Kanbei Arrives!," which I believe I've done before as well (even with Sami).

-----------------

It looks like I probably won't figure out how to have Sami or Andy finish "Kanbei Arrives!" in 4 days any time soon (if it is indeed possible); nonetheless, I was able to get everyone to complete "Mighty Kanbei!" in 6 days by way of HQ capture. Breaking through the south bridge, Sami's transport bonus and her quicker CO Power makes the mission a breeze. Max has a more difficult time, but his CO Power lets him get the job done well enough, yet still has to plan a retreat. (Sami can simply hold Kanbei off when he places his rockets adjacent the allied medium tank guarding the east entrance, later replacing it with a recon to allow the medium tank to act as fodder; however, Max and Andy can't afford to let the medium tank go to waste as easily).

Andy, MJEmirzian's choice for a 7-day rout, ends up being the worst choice for the speed rush. He immediately uses up the entire threshold for Technique (3 units) at the beginning to position his APC within the requisite range for the capture. Since he relies heavily on his indirects to blast a path through the south, he ends up constantly having Kanbei nipping at his heels, nearly losing a unit every turn while finagling his retreat - towards Kanbei's HQ, oddly enough. Moreover, he also has to defend against a lagging tank that comes back to threaten the capture with a joining of two 4HP APCs in woods as a decoy while recons prevent access to the HQ. As Kanbei's 10HP tank can obliterate a recon on a road, failing Technique requirements, the two recons alone wouldn't do.

Interestingly enough, I noticed that 6 days appears to the the required finish time for 'Advance Campaign' for this mission. Perhaps it is possible to perfect the mission there.

-----------------

Although the given terms are to secure 15 properties, the faster and still valid approach is to take Kanbei's HQ in "Kanbei's Error?" in 6 days.

For Max and Andy, in particular, the only reason this is possible is due to the practically faulty attack priorities of Kanbei's anti-air units: given the choice to attack a transport copter or an infantry capturing its HQ, it will neglect preventing completion of the capture and go for destroying the transport copter. The allied fighter takes advantage of the AI's movement of its transport copters to draw the enemy AI south for two consecutive days. The northernmost anti-air destroys the transport copter as stated above, while the other two can't reach the HQ.

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat May 17, 2008 8:53 am

Did I just see that it's possible to perfect a map previously thought impossible?
What can change the nature of a man?

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat May 17, 2008 9:13 am

Well, more specifically, that the Advance Campaign turn limit can be met in Normal Campaign. Still, even *that* doesn't happen too often on maps believed impossible to perfect in Advance Campaign...
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat May 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Actually, while baekdoosan still presents a imperfect strategy, it seems MJEmirzian did perfect "Mighty Kanbei!" in 'Advance Campaign.' I should have checked both resources first before stating anything.

Looking at the map, Kanbei's initial medium tanks are placed farther back, so it should actually be easier to get the APC into a requisite position for the capture as the chokepoint isn't clogged quite as quickly. Sami is used in MJEmirzian's strategy so the only challenge would be to see if Andy or Max could accomplish the same goal.

-Translucent Air

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:41 pm

Nice topic, Cyberscore has now added Campaign Turn Charts for AW1 u might be interested Translucent Air?
Anyway here´s a new Score

Gunfighter 7 days HQ Capture, looked like 999, i lost 4 Units and build 19. I´m not familar enough with AW1 Campaign Tech to know if i would need to build 20 Units (what is impossible) to get a perfect Tech or not.

Edit: Ok i lost 3 Units now, so it´s a sure 7/999

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:43 am

i made a video of Gunfighter! 7/999 with 2 lost units and no luck required: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0l49dPxWo

also, It's War! is done by Rout too

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 am

Sniper!

Andy HQ Capture 6/999

Air Ace
Andy Rout 6/999

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 am

Very impressive scores, you guys!

The AI management on Gunfighter! is superb; I probably should have looked at a faster capture after completing the rout there in the same time. The Sniper! 6-day HQ capture with Andy should definitely be doable, considering the 6-day rout and Max's 5-day HQ capture. Although, I'm not too surprised by the Air Ace! rout, there were only a few units left when primarily focusing on the HQ capture, so if one focused on the rout and achieved it, I'd believe it. Achieving it, nonetheless, is quite an accomplishment.

ALAKTORN, I presume you mean that It's War! was a 6-day rout? Impressive; I believe I've only done the rout in 7 days. (Ah, I see it's already been done by baekdoosan. If remember correctly, I attempted the HQ capture since I was vying for the alternate completion.)

-STL-, unfortunately, cyberscore's format doesn't lend itself to rigorous record listing. I firmly believe that both days and score must be listed for individual missions, rather than only one or the other, since it's the combination of the score and time that makes an impressive record for Campaign or War Room (though only turns would be satisfactory for Advance Campaign scoring in AW1). There's also the fact Campaign and Advance/Hard Campaign scores are not differentiated for the games.

After seeing the 9-day Land's End score with Sami, I should have known that war on the Campaign scores would be soon to follow. I look forward to your achievements.

----------

Looks like I can still claim my own independent 7-day Gunfighter! achievement:

Gunfighter! - 7 Days - Rout - Andy

Image Image Image

Only two APCs were lost with two infantry joining to form the eastern infantry.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:10 am

Awesome job on Gunfighter
I was wondering is this topic only about NC? Did u got the 6 day cap in the NC version of Mighty Kanbei?

U left the Andy Path out in the first post, so here are my scores:

Mission 4 Max Strikes! (Andy)
5 days, Capture

Mission 5 Max´s Folly
6 days, Survival, routed up to 2 Rockets and 1 Tank in 5 days

Mission 6 Olaf’s Navy!
Max, 6 days, Rout/HQ Cap
Andy, 6 days, HQ Cap

Mission 7 Olaf’s Sea Strike
Max, 6 days, HQ Cap, Rout should be doable too, 4HP Rockets and 1HP Cruiser were left in my 6 day Cap

Mission 13 Sami Marches On!
5 days, Property Capture

Mission 14 Sonja’s Goal
6/999 or 5/S Rank with 6 losses, HQ Capture, the 5 day rush was very difficult, i´m not sure if u can lose only 3 Units.

On It´s War and Air Ace u can almost rout in 5 days, but it seems impossible to really get it, i was working on 5 days with Sami on Kanbei´s Error but couldn´t get it, nice idea capturing the HQ there Translucent Air ^_^ It´s really easy to do it with all 3 COs.

I will post my Green Earth Missions Scores later.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:37 am

congrats on the rout Translucent! that is a magnificent accomplishment, i never tried to rout but 8 days looked hard enough for what i saw

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:56 am

A major key to the 7-day rout seems to be keeping the artillery in constant action - if it's not firing, it's moving into the next firing position: every enemy tank, especially the medium tank, was hit by that artillery for a total of three movements and four attacks. Also, the 1HP allied tank can also be upped to 3HP with better use of Hyper Repair.

And, yes, this was for (Normal) Campaign only, -STL-. I usually use only "Campaign" (vs. "Advance/Hard Campaign") and tend only not to refer to it as "Normal Campaign" or "NC," since I don't actually recall it actually being referred to it in that manner in-game. So, to answer your question about Mighty Kanbei!, all three COs can complete the HQ capture in 6 days in both Campaign and Advance Campaign with a full score. I gave a few details about my Campaign strategies for Andy and Max earlier in the thread.

I've also looked at the near 5-day rout for Air Ace! and it does look terribly close. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that enough firepower and movement are available to destroy that easternmost tank - a battle copter and recon even with Andy's Hyper Repair just don't cut it. So, it looks like a 6-day rout will just have to do.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 am

I made a vid for Max Strikes! 3 days rout, so I thought I'd post it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLn4dpqLyo

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:16 am

Sami wins Kanbei's Error? in 5 days by HQ Capture, but I didn't get 999 with it, I'm gonna try now but I doubt full Technique is possible

edit: 1 out of 2 kills, almost maxed Tech but not quite, will have another go tomorrow

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:11 pm

Kanbei's Error?
;)

3 units lost, 18 built, AI built 18, 2 kills

edit: Divide & Conquer! Max, 5 days win, this requires a good amount of luck and my first try was far from full Tech, but I think it's possible, I'll try again

well, now I would've got it, if the AI had bad luck on one attack and didn't kill me... but we know how AI is with luck in this game...

edit2: Divide & Conquer!
;)

2 units lost, 12 built (predeploy), AI built 12 units (predeploy), killed 3

in Sami Marches On! I was able to start capturing the HQ on D3 with full HP Mech, but 3 Tanks, 1 Art and a MD Tank are in range, so yeah...

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Air Ace 5/999! Tcop is used to appeal bad tank in range of bcop and tank. northwest inf and tank are killed by mech and art, and the two lost are md tank to safe tank from bomber and one of the luring APCs.

Btw what are the other possible improvements? I tried to 6 days cap Gunfighter but md tank refused to move from HQ since theres an inf in range of it... Also in Max Strike AC iirc 5 days are impossible because if u drop early md tanks will go back. I will also try History Lesson HC for 4 days as STL suggested (or in NC at least XP) , but what would be the global AC score if that was possible? 993 too?

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 pm

could a mod update the first post with the improvements?

edit: oh my god I forgot what map Air Ace! was O_o amazing job fidel!

edit2: I think I got 5/999 too now, I had to build 1 Recon (to protect BC from Fighters) and lost 2 units (MD and APC vs COP'd Bomber), is that still perfect Technique? /// wait, how does Technique work in AW1 again? I was thinking about DoR's formula…

I killed the NE Tank with Mech+BC on last day (Mech got attacked on AI D4)

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:04 am

I have edited the first post, let me know if I made any mistakes or missed anything.

In AW1 Campaign, you get full Technique if you have lost less than 21% of all the units you built.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:11 am

one mistake I quickly noticed is Air Ace!, it's a rout, not an HQ Cap

I take it I coud've easily maxed Technique by spamming Infs then, much easier score than I thought… I remember me and Julian thinking about this improvement, we deemed out the HQ Cap possibility, then Julian tested the rout and said the NE Tank was too far away, strange that he couldn't do it

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Right, I knew that was a rout. I must have been more concerned with adding the other scores. Fixed now.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

STL

Post by STL » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Nice job on the Air Ace improvement.

History Lesson AC was impossible because of manipulated and NC even more IIRC, but even if AC would be possible the score would be only 992.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

For the list I routed Sami's debut with Max in 5 days and routed also Mighty Kanbei in 6 with Andy. Then why the list stops here?
We can go on from there http://cyberscore.me.uk/leaderboard-group-3111.php
My new improvement of Captain Drake with Andy was just dumb, I started HQ cap in AA range but he prefered attacking another inf <_< Ill never understand AW1 AI...

I tested STL's idea of Naval clash 5 with Max, at d2 cop is charged so apc can escape 1st tank range, go close enough to rocket for avoiding its range and tank can OHKO 2nd tank. also sub can hit battleship to 2 so that injured apc in city survives one more attack (note that bs could also fire lander instead, but attacking it and let him fire apc looked better), finally at d3 we can drop in HQ range but here comes the 3rd tank...
Two failures; either u let tank kill apc from woods and start cap HQ but tank attacks HQ inf, either u let bs kill the apc and put in range of tank road inf, cruiser, sub and lander but it looks like tank prefers attacking inf O_o... If he could be appealed in other place than woods we can charge another cop for attacking with tank, bs is great help for charging the cops in attacking rocket and md. I hope its clear enough for testing it, it looked like Ai attacking priority can vary (fe I replayed Naval Clash 4 with Sami and rocket didnt target lander in priority) so it has to be restarted.

Also Battle Mistery 5 with Max would have hope if bs could refuse to attack, its possible to get md tank in repair mode and your md can kill the other units, but Drake mustnt charge his COP...

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 pm

I made The Final Battle in 5 days! But it wasnt 999, Andy had 5 lost and only 23 built... Theres no doubt that 5/999 is possible but I didnt bother to try. The team was Andy, Eagle and Max, the strat looks like the AW Revival one but Sturm mustnt COP at d4 and Eagle waits d5 to COP.

I also have a theory about counter attack, they are only at 80%. But they have luck, as Alaktorns tests show (4 hp tank counters to 2 or 3). In fact if his test fully worked, as 5 hp tank (41%) never made 4 hp damage the counter would even be at 75%. I will recheck Alaktorns tests to choose between 75 and 80%. I will also reread Fiel Training convos to see if Nell notices something about counter attacks XD

STL

Post by STL » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:45 pm

Counter attacks are with 100HP system and 0% luck, don´t make fenzy theories lol
And good job on TFB 5 =P

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Then how do u explain Alaktorn results and all the stuff we saw? Please test his case normal tank vs Max tank (in fact I cant create VS map because my L button is broken XD) and tell us if the counters are at 75 or 80% or any else theory. Btw, i got the idea during Pivot 7, as my 5 hp Sami's inf countered only 2 damage with theoretic 33%, and then I read Alaktorns tests, but I dont know if the case were ever discussed over that forum or else on the web.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:11 pm

I never played TFB for a quick win, but 5 days sounds completely insane!! was it a rout or an HQ Cap? congratulations :)

also I'm not sure what Julian meant with his post, but from what I know, we still have no idea how counter attacks work in AW1

STL

Post by STL » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 pm

100HP system and 0% luck as i said. So a 4,5 HP Sami Inf deals 29% damage.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:22 am

Lol talk about fenzy XD. And why would there be a special hp system during counter? The inf attack shown 33%...
edit: wait with your theory Sami's inf can never counter 3 damage right? That would be easily testable...

Edit: sry i forgot Sami's inf def. I will look for a better test

Edit 2: In stl theory 4 hp Max's tank can only counter 2 damage if he has 0.36 hp that happens 1 to 10. Very unlikely...
Alaktorn got 12 8-4 and 19 7-4 looks close to the "75% with luck" theory...
Last edited by fcastro on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:13 am

a perfect way to test Julian's theory would be by using an emulator, I think I'll try that

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:26 am

I didnt know emu could show partial hp. It has to be used for seeing Little Lion 1.5 7/296 in AWDS.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:48 am

fcastro wrote:I didnt know emu could show partial hp. It has to be used for seeing Little Lion 1.5 7/296 in AWDS.
it can if you know how to find it, but I'm currently having troubles at finding it :X

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:26 am

well I somehow found it, and Julian's theory is right (I think? I don't really understand it but fidel tells me so XD)

tests with Andy Road Tank vs Max Road Tank: Max kept 36HP, made 2HP counter always (got it about 10 times), Max kept 38/40/42/44 and made 3HP counter

where did you get that theory from Julian?

edit: just tested that 38HP made 31% damage (I kept 69HP), got this twice

36HP counter deals 29% damage, I keep 71HP

38HP counter deals 31% damage, I keep 69HP

40HP counter deals 32% damage, I keep 68HP

42HP counter deals 34% damage, I keep 66HP

44HP counter deals 36% damage, I keep 64HP

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Wow what an incredible discovery...
I've done my best to improve Camapign scores, I'd like to see if Blackbird could improve other scores like in AW2...

Naval Clash 5 days http://www.warsworldnews.com/maps/detai ... age_id=130
but charging the 2 COPs means an awful Tech, it was only a A Rank. The strat was really hard to find here it is, the key to lure Tank was to get a 1 hp Lander...

D1: load APC+inf and Tank in lander, move it 3N2E and drop APC north and tank east. Kill battleship with sub from west and north, move all sea unit northeast and land rocket, md and tank to the east on road, and recon in east woods.

D1 Drake: His Tank must hit your APC to 3, his battleship attacks your rocket and his tank attack your tank.

D2: Reattack Tank with Tank and with Md from woods. COP should be charged (if not attack the Tank with your BS). Activate COP, attack Tank with BS now if u didnt before.
Move west sub to the north to clear the path. Attack BS with other sub, move lander 1S of rocket and cruiser next to it. Move loaded APC on city and OHKO Tank with Tank from east. Drake's Rocket should have nobody in range.

D2 Drake: Here its though. Lander must be attacked to 7 hp by injured BS and injured Tank, but BS often prefers attacking APC...

D3: Drop the inf 3 spaces from HQ, and move lander 2W2S of HQ in order to appeal Tank. Also move the Tank to the northeast and move your Cruiser in range of injured Tank (otherwise he'll go back to cover his HQ). In south front, attack md with md (eventually use recon if u cant see it)

D3 Drake: BS must kill the APC (otherwise guarding Tank attacks it), Rocket must hit the lander to 1 hp (otherwise Tank attacks inf), and ofc his inf mustnt attack yours...

D4: New COP should be charged, if not try to attack with your (few) remaining units, except Tank. Move cruiser in froming place of lander to see the enemy tank, then attack it with yours. Now you can start your cap safely =O

Also in Battle Mistery with Max I would get the 5 days just now if BS could refuse to attack, but it doesnt seem possible... I noticed however when playing Naval Clash that Drake's BS refuse to atatck more than rarely, but maybe not when guarding HQ...

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:06 am

I might return to AW1 sometime. I never seem to get tired of it, anyway =P. Been pretty busy with work lately though, which is why the AW2 campaign isn't done yet.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:40 am

Wings of Victory 3/999 Max

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:55 am

It´s War 5/999!!!
6 day rout was just too easy, 5 seemed far but it was possible in the end^^

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Great! Now do it in AC =p

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:46 pm

my take on It's War! 5/999: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6050RGygDTM (don't watch it fidel! it's a fun strategy to figure out)

it took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to figure out, I think Julian used a much different strategy, he lost no units I lost one

only while watching the video I noticed my NW fail with the Mech =P

edit: Julian told me his NW strategy and it is much better than mine, he didn't tell me his SE strategy but he told me that mine can be considered better

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:44 am

uhm, Gippy made me notice that AW Revival has a 6 days route D2D for Olaf’s Sea Strike which ties with the HQ Cap record in the OP http://awrevival.netfirms.com/ac/m6b/m6b.htm – This is AC…
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.