Advance Wars 2 War Room Fastest Scores

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
-STL-

Advance Wars 2 War Room Fastest Scores

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:23 am

Code: Select all

Spann Island     5  Sami
Moji Island      7  Sturm
Duo Falls        6  Sami
Sole Harbor      6  Sami, Sturm
Pivot Isle       7  Adder
Land's End       9  Sturm
Kita Straight    8  Drake, Sami, Sensei
Point Stormy     8  Sami, Sensei
Ridge Island     6  Sami, Sturm
Mial's Hope      7  Sami

Bounty River    15  Sami
Toil Ferry       7  Sami, Sensei
Twin Isle        8  Everyone except Kanbei
Dire Range       9  Sami
Egg Islands      9  Sami
Terra Maw       13  Sami
Stamp Islands    8  Sami
Rivers Four      9  Sami, Sturm
Ring Islands     7  Colin, Drake, Sami, Sensei
Last Mission     6  Colin

Pay Dirt         9  Everyone except Kanbei
Long Road        9  Sami, Sturm
Nest Egg         8  Sami, Sturm
The Trident      8  Grit
Banker Hills     7  Everyone except Kanbei
Missile Plains   5  Everyone
Lost Basin      13  Sturm
Risky Vale       9  Sturm
The Ring        10  various COs, probably Everyone (expect Kanbei maybe), must be played seriously
Strong Land      9  Sturm
Total Score: 247/9000

This topic lists the fastest achieved 300 pts Scores in the Advance Wars 2 War Room aslong with all possible COs who can do it.
The faster completion without a perfect Score is The Trident with 7/290 (Grit)
Last edited by -STL- on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 42 times in total.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: Advance Wars 2 War Room Fastest Scores

Post by Dragon Fogel » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Eagle is able to get 11 days on Land's End in AW1; I wonder if he can manage that here, too?
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Very unlikely, the AI lost their APC targeting so ur attacking Units will take the damage now, aswell as the AI doesn´t send an Inf to ur HQ area ASAP (At least not when i tried) On top of that Eagle´s SCOP takes 81k to charge to compared to 50k from AW1 though u get 1/2 from attacking instead of 1/4 like in AW1.
Btw i tried to get 11 days with Eagle in AW1 on my GBA, i wanted to use ur opening but it´s like impossible. After countless retries i got the B-Cop flying south, on the next day he went next to my AA, but his Mid Tank went east >_> On every reload the B-Copter went into the SE corner.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Some notes:

- Who perfected Kita Straight with Sensei? Then why not Drake?
- Ridge Island is before Mial's Hope
- According to old high score topic everybody except Kanbei perfects Mial's Hope
- Translucent Air perfects Toil Ferry with Sensei (I hope he'll explain how Md Tank is avoidable)
- Hachi perfects Pay Dirt
- The Ring is surely up to many CO...

And a question for Dragonfogel: in your list hsheepro's scores are missing, do you remember if he did better than Garozzo in some maps?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:21 pm

fcastro wrote:Some notes:
- Who perfected Kita Straight with Sensei? Then why not Drake?
Sry mistake on my part, i missread the japanese list
fcastro wrote: - Hachi perfects Pay Dirt
U unlocked him now? I didn´t even start HC XD

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:57 pm

You should. Is Pay Dirt only perfectable by cheap or transport COs?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 pm

It has nothing to do with Transport Boost, it´s Sensei´s 150 B-Copter and Sami´s Capture Bonus which are important

I figured what has to happen to manage the 6 day cap on Ridge

Edit: I got Pay Dirt 9/300 with Sturm, all Cos except Jess,Grit and Kanbei can finish it in 9 days but i have to look for Tech w/o Sturm...

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Sensei's 150? Is it for OHKOing enemy B-Copter? I'd thought other COs can do it, and some infs could resist to low HP Copter attack... Or maybe it's for APC?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:45 pm

Sensei 150 B-Copter is for OHKOing the APC moves away by itself, i killed the 7HP Missile with Sturm´s B-Copter.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 pm

What about Nell/Flak?
We could also ask for the player who posts AW2 perfect scores in youtube if he wants to challenge. Do you have a youtube account?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:59 pm

fcastro wrote:What about Nell/Flak?
What should be with them?
100 B-Copter is enough to kill a 7HP Missile, i only worry about Tech
fcastro wrote: We could also ask for the player who posts AW2 perfect scores in youtube if he wants to challenge. Do you have a youtube account?
Sure i have a Youtube account.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Lol your explanation weren't very clear but I had supposed you needed to be overpowered. so who else can make it?
I have created an account for contacting SaitoForteX.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:13 pm

I ´m working on Max atm, i´m close but i need luck, in fact in need 110 Attack to attack Colin´s B-Copter and then kill the 7HP Missile with my 9HP Copter

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:24 pm

I have just seen your edit about Pay Dirt! Sorry for the misunderstanding. And good luck!

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Ok my Strat works for everyone but Drake, Jess, Grit and Kanbei Colin keeps moving his T-Copter in my way if he moves his APC away, i´m doing the same movements like with Sturm >_<

Edit: I give up >_<

Toil Ferry with Sensei means u destroy Hawke´s T-Cop on Day 5 and drop the Inf from the Enemy Airport, that way Hawke builds T-Cop and Art, but i guess u need much luck for the Rockets not to attack.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:27 am

-STL- wrote: Btw i tried to get 11 days with Eagle in AW1 on my GBA, i wanted to use ur opening but it´s like impossible. After countless retries i got the B-Cop flying south, on the next day he went next to my AA, but his Mid Tank went east >_> On every reload the B-Copter went into the SE corner.
It's okay if the B-Copter goes there. (Near your HQ, right?) I really need to do a write-up sometime, but there's a lot of variables to consider.

What's important is that the B-Copter goes south first, and then the Mid Tank goes west. After that, it gets messier.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:02 am

I got 8/300 with Sami on Kita Straight with a 10/10 Cap!
So Drake and Sensei can perfect Kita Straight,

Edit: Sensei can´t do it cause his Battleships are only 90 and can´t OHKO Lander =/

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:47 am

My guide on GameFAQs, though probably a bit dated, does include a few walkthroughs for War Room missions. It does even include the Toil Ferry walkthrough with Sensei and includes the reason why he is able to complete it, which is specifically due to an oddity with the AI.
Last edited by Translucent Air on Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:50 am

That's a disallowed link you've got there.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks for the heads up. Testing it directly from my side through the forums seemed fine, but it looks like that it might have been a cached file since I visited it through GameFAQs first.

P.S. Since it's slightly related, but I don't think it can stand on a topic of it's own: The Hunt's End in Campaign can be completed with an earliest perfect S-Rank of 10 days with Sonja paired with anyone but Max, whereas it's 11 days in my guide. I finally was able to truly integrate the secondary CO into the strategy, having Sonja's battleship and an artillery from the other CO (or two in Colin's case) destroy the pipe seam on the same day. It's a little harder to pull off, though; Adder hasn't yet moved as many units forward for Power, and an enemy artillery isn't allowed to cover the shoals near the pipe seam.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks your strat worked perfectly. AI is so stupid... I fear that kills the challenge.
It's a bad thing that GameFAQs has no memories, it would be interesting to know hsheepro scores, he was an awesome AWDS player.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:25 am

What kills the challenge?

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:44 am

If every map can theoretically be done just by sending APC+inf and praying, I fear there's no more strategy, and maybe even no more achievements... :( Hopefully AWDS is better conceived! Btw, do you think it's possible to cap Jelly 2.5's HQ by 4 days thanks to AI stupidity? :wink:

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 am

-STL-, fcastro is talking about the odd behavior that allows Sensei to complete Toil Ferry in the manner detailed in my guide.

After doing some testing, the vague and uncertain explanation that I gave in the guide appear to be wrong. At that time of its writing, I still wasn't quite sure why this would happen, but I believe I've more or less figured out the reason now. So, it's not quite just sending an extra APC/transport copter and infantry and "praying," though a small amount of luck may be involved. It's a special case since it was only a medium tank defending with two high-priority properties under duress. The same result could be reproduced with a neotank, anti-air, or bomber as the sole HQ defender depending on the CO - especially when the AI is not currently using a (Super) CO Power.

First off, a few restrictions to set up possible scenarios:
  • The player's CO should not be Sami, and both the HQ raider and decoy should be at 10HP.
  • The enemy property that the decoy must be situated on and/or capturing must be a deployment property (base, port, or airport).
  • The HQ raider should almost definitely be an infantry while the decoy can be a mech or infantry.
  • Of course, the sole enemy defender (medium tank, neotank, anti-air, or bomber) should be able to reach both the decoy and HQ raider.
The main flaws appear to be that priority of defense of deployment properties doesn't seem to be appropriately differentiated enough from the priority of HQ defense and that scoring a potential "crippling blow" (71% or higher against 10HP) on the deployment property can confuse those defense priorities if a (reasonably highly probable) crippling blow cannot be achieved on the HQ. When a CO Power isn't currently being used that day, medium tanks, neotanks, anti-air units, and bombers all pretty much fall into this scenario. If no crippling blows are involved, the defense priorities are not confused.

This behavior is rather reliably reproduced using a custom-made Design Map, and the enemy properties and enemy defender can actually be from different AI armies. (Strikingly, the decoy deployment property can belong to one army or even neutral with the HQ and defender under duress from another.) As long as this sweet spot is found, the desired behavior of the AI attacking the decoy instead of the HQ raider often occurs - e.g. an enemy tank controlled by a Max AI using Max Force/Blast as the HQ defender.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:52 am

That the same way like Neotank and Anti-Air attack the lure Inf which caps a Base instead of the HQ Inf on Kita Striaght.

I tried ur strat but failed luck and gave up.

While the AI usually attacks Units on the least terrain cover it attacks a Inf on its City or Bases over an Inf on Road. So if the priority for HQ, Bases and City is the same, it would explain why the AI attacks on the least terrain cover after factoring that in.

AW1/2 AI has another glitch(?), if an Unit attack from/move on its City, the odds are high that it won´t attack/move the next day(s) (even if u capture the HQ), it goes in a "Repair Mode" even on full HP.

It has nothing do to with praying, the AI is just bad programmed XP

AWDS AI is far better, i don´t see how Jelly in 4 days on 2,5 should happen.

Fidel if u want more strategy try DoR next, in the AW1 War Room the AI lets u capture the HQ w/o really resistance on most maps, the only map where it puts APC on HQ is Spann Inlands where i still wonder if it´s doable in 6 days with insane luck.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:18 am

The defense of the HQ, deployment properties, and cities almost definitely are not ranked the same.

At the very least, trying to use a city will definitely not produce the desired decoy behavior. The HQ and deployment properties might have had the same level of prioritization, with the possible exception of the extra star of terrain defense; however, in cases where "crippling blows" are not involved, the defender will always defend the HQ. So, HQ defense is definitely prioritized above all else, just not appropriately enough for some special cases.

I don't believe I've done Kita Straight with Drake, yet; however, looking what you've stated and glancing over my own guide with Sami, it looks like it may be a similar case. Also, as you've seen, the luck requirements to get that medium tank as the sole defender on Toil Ferry are very stringent.

And, yes, the city-locking behavior is known, although I believe it is more common in the first game than in Advance Wars 2.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:29 am

Wow O_o I got the APC not to move on HQ on Day 3 on Spann AW1, now if the Art moves away and does not attack my Mech i have Spann 6.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:42 pm

-STL-, are you certain Drake can complete Kita Straight in 8 days? Reviewing my own walkthrough with Sami, it doesn't look like it would work with Drake, as I just realized that you were talking about Sami when mentioning the neotank and anti-air attacking the decoy.

The reason the AI attacks the way it does, when using Sami on Kita Straight, is that slightly different judgments are made when Sami is the player's CO. Since the AI suffers from decreases in direct offense (as the AI's own CO is Sami) and the anti-air is first to move, the anti-air knows it has no chance against Sami's infantry on the HQ (56%, still leaving the required 4HP to complete). Therefore, it attacks the infantry on the base, where there's a possibility it could prevent the capture (65%).

When the time comes for the neotank to attack, it actually can (and does) attack either the HQ raider or the decoy. With Damage of 69% against the HQ infantry, it really should attempt to prevent the HQ capture as it sometimes does, but it also sometimes decides that that's not enough of a guarantee and goes for the injured infantry on the base.

Clarification of your topic post on Drake completing in Kita Straight in 8 days would be appreciated, since my initial judgment is that it's not possible. Sami's lack of direct offense brings the anti-air out of the critical hit zone against a standard CO's decoy, and, thus, the AI would use it to attack the HQ raider instead.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 pm

Wow your knowledge of the game mechanics are very impressive! I managed Four Rivers by 9 days with Sturm, he's necessary because of the use of unexpected HQ way one more time. That only let Lost Basin and Risky Vale to improve...

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks Translucent Air, u were right, i tested it with Drake, the AA went for my HQ Inf while the Neo chose either. Drake and Sensei still have the chance by building a Sub and waiting for the Art not to attack but i´m not patient enough now.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:40 am

It looks like you can add Drake back onto the list. Adapting the same tactic from Toil Ferry (note the second lander), I managed to eek something out:

Kita Straight - 8 days, 300 pts. - Drake

Unfortunately, the requirements for enemy movement here seem to be just as hard (if not harder) to achieve as those for Toil Ferry. Sensei might be able to do it as well, but the fact that his sub cannot destroy a lander in one shot makes it doubly harder to achieve 300 pts., as it very likely piles on more luck requirements with regards to enemy unit movement.

Image Image

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:30 am

That's a beautiful achievement...
I got Last Mission (300, 7 days) with Jess, I used her because she has bad infs and cop. So it's up to every CO except Kanbei, I checked it for Grit and Drake.

edit: I've tried Kita with Drake and couldn't avoid to have a Md Tank, except once when he was loaded to a lander but in this case Power seemed impossible... Or did you manage to kill Md when he was still in lander?

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 am

The medium tank being loaded into the lander, while making the completion easier, does destroy any chance to achieve Power. (When destroying a transport, any loaded units inside are not counted towards Power.) The main issue with the medium tank being loaded is that you don't have enough money or firepower to destroy the medium tank once it lands.

Either the initial tank or anti-air, or both, must be loaded into the enemy lander so that a mech, transported by the second allied lander, can destroy it upon its landing. (The mech can be dropped so that the enemy lander drops one unit at a time if both are loaded.) The medium tank, however, must be deployed from the northern easternmost base and keep heading east, especially after the allied infantry drop. (It's deployed a day ahead of the artillery, so it's farther east off the edge of screenshot.) Unfortunately, that's a fairly uncommon occurrence, as it will come back, not move far enough, or even sit on the HQ at times.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 pm

I used the 2nd lander to appeal Md Tank very north... But if it can move east 2nd lander is no more necessary, and it can be done by Sensei.

edit: I perfected Kita with Sensei and Nest Egg with Sami.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:42 am

May I presume that this is pretty much what your final day looked like?

It looks like Drake can get away with either the initial anti-air or the tank (or both) being loaded into the enemy lander; however, Sensei requires both. As Sensei also lacks Drake's enhanced navy movement, he needs the enemy lander to move one more time towards him, which is achieved by the dropping of the tank.

Technically, Sami's damaged lander could have run from Sensei's sub after being attacked on Day 7, but I guess the AI decides there's not much of a point, as both enemy ports are occupied. The undamaged enemy lander won't move since the neotank is busy attacking the decoy, and no other units can be loaded as they've all moved east (the tank and rockets are newly deployed).

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:55 pm

Our strats are lightly different, I build sub later and first damaged lander with a tank. I think it didn't matter if enemy sent one or 2 units, anyway they were easyto front. Also, I suppose that enemy art refused to attack you twice, whereas one of my 2 infs was already hurt and then killed by neo at the next day (if I well remember). Anyway good luck!

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:01 am

Nope, I've never relied upon the AI "forgetting" an indirect attack because I simply don't consider it reproducible. In my case, the enemy artillery was never in a position to attack my infantry; it's deployed from where the tank was deployed (in the Sensei screenshot), and the infantry were both dropped south of their respective landers. As the enemy artillery had nothing to attack, it simply moved east.

I'm surprised that you were able to get a tank out, although deploying the sub later would probably allow for it. I was concerned about not getting firepower down there in time, so I made do with a mech transported by the second lander. Since you said you attacked the enemy lander with a tank (which mechs can't attack), yes, that may possibly mean that the number of units loaded may not matter. Although, the reason I presumed two enemy units were necessary was to influence enemy lander movement, and not for worry of lacking enemy units to destroy or fear of being overwhelmed.

----------

Upon review, fcastro, I'm really not sure what your strategy was, if you indeed used a second lander and decoy. I can't fathom how the second infantry would be hurt if two landers were used, and the second lander also prevents timely and adequate funds for a tank and then sub, which is why I wrote I was quite surprised about the tank earlier. Did you perhaps use only one lander and rely on the AI overlooking a possible indirect attack on the final day? (That would possibly explain why you thought, for my case, the AI had "refused to attack" twice with the artillery - since you were possibly relying on the AI to overlook an indirect attack at least once.)

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:19 am

Yep I used only one lander and one of inf was hurted by base art the day before the end. At last day the art moved. Btw, what are your Risky Vale and Lost Basin high scores? And do you think it's possible to avoid The Ring's northeast APC in order to complete it by 9 days?
STL, you can add all COs except Kanbei for Pay Dirt. I got it with Drake and Jess. My B-copter didn't make any attack, he's just here to fear APC and protect the cap. And it's probably possible to get 0 kills, if Colin's missles doesn't OHKO T copter (I'm not sure of it).

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 pm

I think that Colin's missiles will OHKO copters. Base damage for missiles vs. copters is 120, as the damage chart leads me to believe.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:25 am

You're right, I was abused by my tests with Sturm. Anyway it doesn't matter. :)