AW2 Memories

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
fcastro

AW2 Memories

Post by fcastro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:55 am

Hi the veterans of Advance Wars 2, I'd like to ask to your memories what you remind from the lost topic of GameFAQs about War Room High Scores. Especially, according to this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1390, DragonFogel saved posts from Hsheepro...
Hsheepro got some crazy scores which aren't saved on Dragonfogel's list, like Mial's Hope and Pivot Isle all-COs 8 days strats, and playing to find them gave me the idea for improving to 7 days, so I wonder if he has other scores like this...
But I'm also interested in knowing more of the history of War Room, like who were the greatest players, and who first got the best scores. I assumed most of them were due to Garozzo, because he posted detailed strats on chinese site...
I'm also compilling all best scores for all COs, while I wait to check them all for posting. Dragonfogel's list often give various COs scores w/o precising if they work for all COs or not, so can someone confirm that these scores are done by anyone (except maybe Kanbei):

- Spann 6 days (Rjv)
- Kita 9 (Dragon Fogel)
- Ridge 10 (Kikutaro)
- Twin 11 (Translucent Air)
- Dire Range 13 (Dragon Fogel)
- Terra Maw 17 (Dragon Fogel)
- Rings Islands 8 (Dragon Fogel)
- Strong Land 12 (Graphyte Ronin)

Oh and, was there ever a decent strat for Lost Basin with Sturm? I'd like to tie the 14 of Swifty (or at least the 15 days of Triggier XD), I think he killed Sami first and got Sonja building only in the north base or eventually in range of ur rockets, so that she could be routed quicker, my best was 17...

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: AW2 Memories

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:13 am

17 days on Terra Maw is just rushing for the port and sending a lander with an APC as soon as possible. The higher number of days only happened when I had to delay the dropoff, so I don't see any reason it shouldn't be possible with everyone.

Likewise, Dire Range was basically just me rushing a T-Copter to the HQ, stopping off at the north neutral base to build a missile launcher there. Higher numbers of days just meant that I had to stall for one reason or another due to random enemy movement. So, again, everyone should be able to manage 13 days.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:39 am

If my memory serves correctly, I don't believe Garozzo became a player known to the English-speaking community until either the release of AWDS or very late in the War Room progress of AW2. I'm quite certain he only made an appearance after HshEEpRO had already cemented his status as a record breaker in AW2.

The main foremost pioneers in setting AW2 records were kikutaro and rjv. The two of them definitely spent a bit of time tackling the harder maps, Risky Vale among them. In fact, kikutaro did a lot of the hard work to prove that every CO could achieve 300 pts. in War Room. The main reason many of HshEEpRO scores aren't accounted for are due to him breaking records primarily after that milestone of every CO achieving 300 pts. in War Room was reached. After that, kikutaro spent a lot less time tracking the records. Note that kikutaro actually has a "War Room S-Rank Guide" for AW1 on GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadva ... 71043.html).

If you want a representation of the history, look at the list originally maintained by kikutaro: http://members.cox.net/cwoll/scores.txt. (The reason the list is formatted in such an odd manner is that it is a back-end to a database website that uses ActiveX objects that are no longer valid.) In fact, Dragon Fogel's lists aren't for AW2 at all. Other active members on that list besides ForgottenOne/DTaeKim and Dragon Fogel included thefalman, KillerSim7, and najdorf. You'll note that DTaeKim, Dragon Fogel and thefalman have decided to become staff here, although I believe thefalman has retired from setting War Room records for quite some time.

To use DxDyDzD's terminology, I'd say the "generations" were {kikutaro, rjv}, {Dragon Fogel, DTaeKim, thefalman}, {HshEEpRO}. I could probably be included among them, making some unique contributions, but I primarily stayed focused on Campaign missions.

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:13 am

I wish we had the entire topic archived instead of the last discussion topic.
What can change the nature of a man?

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Oh I'm sad, I had read that DragonFogel had archived Hsheepro's, but he posted that 4 years ago... I also noted that he wrote a Ridge Island 9 days all COs strat on the main site.
Translucent, when u talk about unique contributions, do u confirm they are Kita 8/300 and Toil Ferry 7/300? Anyway it's way too hard to guess who first got the scores, so I will only rank them by "teams". Here are my plans of teams:

1st team: GameFAQ Freaks (the scores on the list)
2nd team: Chinese Evils (Garozzo and Hsheepro)
3rd team: Japanese Machines (Swifty and Togami)
4th team: Cyberscore Geeks (Nintendostar, STL and me)

Do u agree or should I make a separate team for WWN's staff, especially DragonFogel and Translucent?

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I can confirm those two were by me (as from our recent interactions), but I believe I did have others.

This snippet from an e-mail to an unrelated party, dated late Sept. 2003, suggests I completed "The Trident" in 8 days first. Other correspondence to another party alludes that I had achieved it in early Sept. 2003 (the walkthrough for which is in my guide on GameFAQs [http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadva ... 89391.html]).
'Translucent Air in Sept. 2003' wrote:I have had a completed 8-day "The Trident" (War Room) on deck for a while, so I might post that onto GameFaqs as some seem to be on the verge of cracking it..."
It looks like I may have been the first to do "Stamp Islands" in 8 days as well, judging from e-mails I wrote to kikutaro in April 2004 and Dragon Fogel in June 2004. Unfortunately, it wasn't added to kikutaro's list, since I believe it was a fair amount of time after it was proven all CO's could achieve 300 pts. in all missions (thefalman's 9-day score wasn't added, either).

[quote="'Translucent Air ("War Room: Stamp Islands,Sami,300,8") to kikutaro'"]The absolute minimum time limit for the map has been attained.

Concerning the additional base capture and enemy APC movement, thefalman's conclusions appear to be correct. This can, however, be accelerated to move the
enemy APC off its HQ on Day 7, allowing the potential for capture. The main infiltration fleet is identical to that of the one use for Duo Falls, consisting of two infantry and one mech aided by transport copters. However, instead of using the mech's increased defense, its superior offense is now used.

The power aspect requires only three enemy units to be destroyed if no enemy units are destroyed before the final day; an infantry can be dropped onto the northern neutral island to handle the capturing enemy infantry and a fighter can engage its tranporting copter or threatening battle copter (which must be deployed from Eagle's southern airport) while up to two enemy units can be destroyed at Eagle's HQ. Additionally, excess funds can allot for at least three allied losses.[/quote]
[quote="'Translucent Air ("War Room: Minimum Days") to Dragon Fogel'"]In response to najdorf's inquiry, I was able to reduce "Stamp Islands" down to 8 days not long after thefalman achieved his 9-day score. (It has been posted as pending in the guide since the last update.)[/quote]

"Point Stormy" may have also been done first by me as well. I recall that kikutaro did browse my guide on occasion to look for my scores (after I had admonished him for boasting that his scores were the "best" when I had a published guide that was faster than one of his then current scores); however, as my guide only made the reference to Sami easily apparent, a reference to Sensei missed being included on his list. It's probably a factor as to why there are so few Sensei scores in 8 days compared to the number Sami scores in the same time. (I believe I left Sensei off of the title as I did not want to include an extra note or two for enemy actions for him within the actual day-by-day walkthrough.)

[quote="'"Advance Wars 2 S-Rank Walkthrough Guide" by Translucent Air'"]

--Point Stormy-- (Sami)

Earliest Perfect S-Rank Time: 8 Days

Strategy: Assault enemy territory with infantry and APC units; deploy
infantry and APC pairs through Day 4 (deploying mechanized infantry
on Day 2); head towards enemy territory throughout mission; destroy
rockets with mech and infantry with infantry pair; (Sami is best
suited for this infantry assault as her capture abilities allow her
leeway with enemy attacks; however, if no enemy unit is situated so
that enemy HQ is within attack range by the beginning of Day 7,
Sensei is a comparable CO; Sami and Sensei are the only two who can
perform in 8 days due to their increase in infantry firepower and
transport movement)
[/quote]

Finally, I do apologize for never getting back to you on your question concerning "Mial's Hope" with everyone but Kanbei in 8 days. Were you ever able to complete it in that time with someone other than Sami or Sensei? I did pose that as a challenge to Dragon Fogel years ago, which is why he brought it up in the "Advance Wars 2 War Room Walkthroughs" topic. Unfortunately, I don't believe I did a formal write up, so I can't provide much, if any, information. I might have a couple files lying around that could help me remember, but it would be somewhat difficult for me to dig through them now.

Also, my record of correspondence with Dragon Fogel appears to state that I was able to complete "Twin Isle" in 12 days with everyone (including Kanbei and Grit), not 11 days. (It's also confirmed by Dragon Fogel himself here.) As for the groupings, I certainly don't mind being grouped in the "GameFAQs Freaks" team, though you should probably ask the appropriate members of the WWN staff for their own opinions.

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:19 pm

I don't think there should be a distinction of the WWN staff, since GameFAQs came well before WWN's appearance and that was our common link.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I agree with DTK.

As for Twin Isle, I don't think winning faster than 12 days is very likely except with specific COs, because it was pretty tough to pull that off with Max, and I needed his attack bonus to do it. (Note to self, make 11-day video with Max sometime. That was one of my all-time favorite scores.) Of course, I've often been surprised by fast scores.

I also still have War Room Topic 5, and hsheepro sent me most of Topic 6 (the last one).
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:29 pm

I unfortunately left out crazyman2 as another active participant. I'll let his reminiscence do the talking.

[quote="crazyman2 in "Tribute to War Room High Scores vets." on GameFAQs"]For those who don't know,War Room High Scores was one of the first long-running topics on this board. We made it to 6 parts, and it died somewhere in the early stages of the last. Finally 300 with all characters on all the levels .Which was sad, really. Most of us knew the topic would be our last, yet we didn't die honorably, we faded away behind the other topics.

I remember looking at a list back in part 3 (which was created not very long after 2, both created by Articuno2001) when this game was fairly new, and some of the high scores weren't even 300 pts. Very few were shared, we had a club for a couple different levels, that was it.

Things changed by the end of that topic. It was certainly the end of the era of the original vets, things were never going to be the same... Part 4 and 5 built up to our climax, maxing out every level time-wise, some of which were stunning for the time, then turning attention to 300 with all characters. And then it happened...
And at that moment, the longest running topic in the history of this board had it's life completely drained, and it was left to fade away without proper burial. No farewells, no remenisence, just ignorance and fading.

Which is what this topic serves to do. Even if it's been many months since our topic disapearred. Talking about the old days, farewell, tribute, and a place for new people interested in the War Room to start out from scratch.

Personal from me
Articuno2001-Being the creator of the first topic that drew me into AW2, and I haven't looked back

DTaeKim- Great inspiration to improve my scores and get 9000 pts.

kikutaro-Creator of the database, speed legend,and personal challenge to me at certain levels, the ones that didn't require hours of restarting >_>

thefalman-came in later, and took the credit for my
Risky Vale strat, but if I hadn't been greedy and didn't try to get the untied WR and release strat after, instead of let the community have a shot, maybe it wouldn't have happened. Back then, my pride got the better of me, but now I can say congrats on discovering a useful strat.

Translucent Air-I never did complete your challenge. I couldn't get my strat another day lower. (Trident 10 days 300 all)

rjv-other speed legend, and generally helpful with strats.

Killersim7-not so much AW2-ish, but I swear you were stalking me, 4 different high score topics at the same time as me?

I think that's all my tribute. Anyone else that thinks they should be on here leave post with reason.

Now I can leave this board forever in peace and not have to let my eyes be victim to the terror that is tournaments and debates[/quote]

It would appear I was challenging everyone left and right, though. (Apparently, everyone can complete "The Trident" in 9 days, with Kanbei in 10.)

And, Dragon Fogel, while crazyman2 did leave you out then, he did mention the following once you submitted the last remaining score towards the collective achievement of every CO attaining 300-pt. scores for each mission for the "War Room High Scores" community. (Also, I've sent you my copy of "War Room High Scores - Part 4" through e-mail.)

[quote="crazyman2 in "War Room High Scores - Part 5""]Slowly, people like kikutaro, who's speed strategies could always pull a 300 pt with O_O time.and rjv, the second to 300 pt Risky Vale, and they changed all that, then we get Dragon Fogel and thefalman, who could make a general strategy for all CO's, even on the formerly(impossible) levels[/quote]

I'm also going to presume this post from DTaeKim possibly indirectly verifies my recollection of "Point Stormy."

[quote="DTaeKim in "War Room High Scores - Part 5""]I think I have a very reliable strategy for Point Stormy. In fact, I think all COs except Sensei and Sami can finish this map in 11 days, maybe 10.

It follows Translucent Air's FAQ for the most part. The only luck factor that is necessary here is where Olaf builds his fighter. If it is built in the far W airport, then the walkthrough is a success. In fact, it is far easier with COs that don't have an attack bonus with air units, because you have to keep units alive in order to reach the power score.

For now, I have two scores.

DTaeKim, Point Stormy, Colin, 300, 11
DTaeKim, Point Stormy, Max, 300, 11[/quote]

I'll wrap up with a dustly little gem that the three members of the WWN staff should remember. If I recall, DTaeKim was the creator:

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:40 pm

That wasn't me. I wish I could remember who made that.

Now that I see that post about Point Stormy, I think I can come up with the strategy again in fairly short order.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:50 pm

My apologies to both you and the creator then. Given the time stamps, I'm pretty sure it was probably posted in "Part 6" (of which I don't have a personal archive). I remember HshEEpRO not being included on it yet, as he was still only making his entrance (late in "Part 5"). Perhaps Dragon Fogel might be able to dig out the info from his copy from HshEEpRO.

-Translucent Air

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was DTK's work. I could be misremembering because he had it as his sig here for a year or two, though.

Edit: It looks like hsheepro's documents cover the last few pages of War Room High Scores Part 5 (starting about when I finally 300-pointed Risky Vale for the first time), and the first 30 or so posts of Part 6. I couldn't find anything indicating when that image was made.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:22 pm

If I were to pick someone else, it may have been rjv. He was fairly adept at using the emulator to capture screenshots as could be seen with the few illustrated guides he created. For what its worth, I have a date of mid-July 2004 on the image ("Part 5" ended at the end of June).

-Translucent Air

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:03 am

Well i don´t think it matters too much who made a score first, specially on a map like Point Stormy where u just drive ur APC to Enemy HQ and it´s 90% of the time free.

After AWDS Campaign now it´s time for AW2 Campaign, i will soon ask to get it on CS, it could maybe give proof problems, but if we get it on the site there will be seperate charts for NC and HC.
Translucent Air, u wrote a nice Campaign guide, so i hope you are in when we battle out the fastest scores.
For a preview, i finished Orange Dawn HC in 14/300 yesterday.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:03 am

-STL-, I don't think it matters too much, either; I was answering fcastro's questions in general and to me concerning my own scores.
fcastro wrote:But I'm also interested in knowing more of the history of War Room, like who were the greatest players, and who first got the best scores.
Translucent, when u talk about unique contributions, do u confirm they are Kita 8/300 and Toil Ferry 7/300?
You'll have to remember that these were times when no one knew if it was possible to achieve 300 pts. in all missions with every CO. It was a time when achieving "9000pts" (completing all 30 Advance Wars 2 "War Room" missions with 300 pts.) was actually considered a highly significant accomplishment. Other members at WWN went through the same quest for Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Advance Wars 1 with some doubts, but fully armed with the knowledge that the feat had been done before in a similar game.

I frankly think it does ease much of the stress in going for the fastest perfect scores by simply knowing that a perfect score can be achieved. The mentality of current players questions how far the limits of the game can be pushed while the previous mentality asked whether the game could even be completed. It may seem silly now to question whether the game could be completed, but it was a nagging question and goal in everyone's minds until it was actually done. Nonetheless, from what I've read, the camaraderie at GameFAQs then isn't that much different from that I've seen at the Cyberscore Forum, although updates and members at GameFAQs may have been more frequent due to the newness of the game and the infancy of the high-score campaign.

I'm glad to hear that there will be separate charts for Campaign and Hard Campaign when the AW2 Campaign charts are added to cyberscore.net. Although, I really don't know if either Campaign could offer too much in terms of proof problems. (Incidentally, I had a fairly new 5-day perfect score for the "Lightning Strikes" mission in the (normal) Campaign of AWDS, and I had the most difficult time trying find out whether it had yet to be done by others. I've since concluded it has yet to be reported.) As for competing for the fastest scores, I'm not going to say I absolutely won't, but any contributions I make would likely be very few and far between. It might be time to pass the torch on to the next, if not better, generation. Congratulations on the 14-day Orange Dawn!

-Translucent Air

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:13 am

If I make the topic at least I am interested :p

So yeah Translucent u didnt get Twin 11, sorry for the mistake, but it was achieved by many COs from Dragonfogel and Kikutaro. Congrats on Stamps 8, so now Garozzo only remains Spann 5 and Terra 13... Btw I was wondering Translucent if u're able to get Stamps 8 with Sensei, at least to cap south HQ. Indeed there seems to always be a recon to defend, but we can send another inf (even mech iirc), so maybe it's lurable like in Kita and Toil... =) About Mial's Hope, I think I found the general 8 days strat but immediately after it gave me the idea for 7-days (the key is to understand who will be attacked in priority, depending if u're mech/inf and on what ground) so didn't play it.

Oh and please DragonFogel, can u email me all the archived posts? And do u remind what is the falman's Risky Vale score that crazyman is talking about?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 am

Translucent Air wrote: I'm glad to hear that there will be separate charts for Campaign and Hard Campaign when the AW2 Campaign charts are added to cyberscore.net. Although, I really don't know if either Campaign could offer too much in terms of proof problems. (Incidentally, I had a fairly new 5-day perfect score for the "Lightning Strikes" mission in the (normal) Campaign of AWDS, and I had the most difficult time trying find out whether it had yet to be done by others. I've since concluded it has yet to be reported.) As for competing for the fastest scores, I'm not going to say I absolutely won't, but any contributions I make would likely be very few and far between. It might be time to pass the torch on to the next, if not better, generation. Congratulations on the 14-day Orange Dawn!
U can find NC and HC seperated scores on VGR, the 5 day on Lightning Strikes has already been done, but from ur earlier post i saw u dislike skills. So if u have done the 5 day win w/o skills i would be very impressed. I needed at least the Plain= 1 Skill to get my Day 1 Recon far enough (i also used 2 Money to build Day 1 Recon+Mech). All beside Ring of Fire and Means to An End should be maxed now. On the HC version of Ring of Fire 6 days seem close. On Means to An End Colin is better then Eagle on the main front, 9 could maybe be done here in NC and 10 in HC or so.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 am

-STL- wrote:U can find NC and HC seperated scores on VGR, the 5 day on Lightning Strikes has already been done, but from ur earlier post i saw u dislike skills. So if u have done the 5 day win w/o skills i would be very impressed. I needed at least the Plain= 1 Skill to get my Day 1 Recon far enough (i also used 2 Money to build Day 1 Recon+Mech). All beside Ring of Fire and Means to An End should be maxed now. On the HC version of Ring of Fire 6 days seem close. On Means to An End Colin is better then Eagle on the main front, 9 could maybe be done here in NC and 10 in HC or so.
Thanks for the heads up on Video Games Records. And, yes, my score was a rout without skills. Although, you'll likely be less impressed with me than more bewildered by the sensibilities of the AI. (Out of curiosity, when you mention Colin is better than Eagle, is that without skills for "Means to an End?")

The personal rule of not using skills has to do with old habits and preferences learned from the GameFAQs being tough to unlearn. It also has to do with a slightly different set of goals. In using skills, the objective is more about creating the best overall CO for the occasion. When not using skills, the objective is how far a particular CO can go on his or her own, and that was an overarching theme in the GameFAQs days. (At the time, not only were we interested in which individual player could achieve 9000 pts. but also which COs could achieve 9000 pts.) I believe most of the WWN staff has been brought up on the same sensibilities, which is why you see more resistance to using skills here. We're still stuck here trying to establish the overall lower bound, while you're interested in pushing the limits of the upper bound. Of course, it's always interesting to see the cases where the upper and lower bounds meet.

fcastro wrote:So yeah Translucent u didnt get Twin 11, sorry for the mistake, but it was achieved by many COs from Dragonfogel and Kikutaro. Congrats on Stamps 8, so now Garozzo only remains Spann 5 and Terra 13... Btw I was wondering Translucent if u're able to get Stamps 8 with Sensei, at least to cap south HQ. Indeed there seems to always be a recon to defend, but we can send another inf (even mech iirc), so maybe it's lurable like in Kita and Toil... =) About Mial's Hope, I think I found the general 8 days strat but immediately after it gave me the idea for 7-days (the key is to understand who will be attacked in priority, depending if u're mech/inf and on what ground) so didn't play it.
No need for apologies on "Twin Isle." While it may not be the fastest, Dragon Fogel appears to agree that my strategy for completing in 12 days is significantly easier than completing in 11 days. It would seem that for 12 days, the player employs a more "sit and wait" strategy, while doing it in 11 days needs a more proactive and possibly more complicated approach.

Thanks for the congratulations on "Stamp Islands." I believe I remember being somewhat disappointed that it wouldn't be recorded (since by that time it was fairly evident that kikutaro's list would not be updated). As for performing it with Sensei, I don't really remember anything about what I was talking about then. Thankfully, thefalman's strategy is on the main website here, so I might be able to refresh my memory. However, I would have to set aside time to relearn the strategy, and I don't yet know when I would have the time to do that.

And, congratulations on "Mial's Hope." -STL-'s list of fastest times is becoming more and more unrecognizable. Although, unless HshEEpRO has said otherwise, I remember "Spann Island" in 5 days being his score. His post concerning that on the GameFAQs boards was what made most of us believe we had a major new contender.

-Translucent Air

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 am

Now that you mention it, I think it was rjv who came up with the image.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:48 pm

I know Stamps 8 can be annoying in north front, thats why I only ask for south front with the sending of 2 loaded tcops (only them can reach iirc). If u look at Garozzo's strat his north inf didnt take damage, and there are probably different ways to get that, that's why I'm only now focusing on Sensei's south cap.

http://www.ndsbbs.com/read.php?tid=55632 (Garozzo's best guide ever)

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:41 am

I haven't looked at it seriously, but it seems highly unlikely that Sensei would be able to capture Drake's HQ within 8 days.

Getting Drake to swap the deployment positions of the artillery and recon appears unlikely, as all bases adjacent Drake's HQ would be within attack range of Sensei's potential capturing infantry. Therefore, deploying an artillery at the HQ would not only be ineffective but also potentially damaging from a monetary standpoint. Attempting to get Drake to change his deployment order seems difficult, too. You barely have the resources to send out a decoy to meet Drake, much less attack and destroy one of his units, and any other "interesting" units that Sensei could deploy are also likely to be positioned too far away for Drake to care before it's too late.

It's possible Sami may just have to hold on to the title herself.

-Translucent Air

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 am

Yeah I was more hoping in luring than in swaping, but recon doesn't seem to follow the conditions u gave for luring. So the next COs score hopes are Sole 6 with Sturm (here it's an anti-air to lure) and Nest 8 with Colin.
Did u take a look at the highscore topic? Finally Garozzo didnt get any Perfect Score, all his own improvements (apparently Duo 7, Road 11 and Ring 11) were beaten since. So "Asian" Perfect Scores are Spann 5 from Hsheepro, Ridge 6/Basin 14 from Swifty and Risky 11/Ring 10 from Togami. Or maybe u remember other Hsheepro's scores? I'd like to read his famous posts...

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:46 am

Ok AW2 Campaign has started, though i was too optimistic, CS again just added NC and HC unseperated =/ So let´s hope for VGR...
Anyway i made a quick NC run now, checking the levels and ofc ur awesome FAQ :)
So the only new score i made yet is Tox Boy in 9/300, but i have a few on my list:

- Flak Attacks, 2 days, we easyly rout up to 1HP Bomber in 2 days (with 1 suicide), for killing them all,i think we need 2 suicides and i couldn´t find a strat yet that doesn´t require an unhuman amount of luck
- Two Week Test, HQ Capture, this looks very possible
- Sinking Feeling, 10 days, playing more offensive here could lead to 10 days
- To The Rescue, 4 days, not sure about this though

In ur FAQ i read Sea Fortress can be won 1 day faster in HC, are there more level which can be won faster in HC or is it the only one?

Edit Ok, i can answer my own question, Silo Scramble HC 9/300

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Concerning "Sea Fortress," the Hard Campaign version is a fundamentally different level than the Campaign version: the Campaign version is a horizontal battle while the Hard Campaign one is a vertical battle. So, if the maps are fundamentally different, there is a fair chance that the Hard Campaign version could be completed faster. Incidentally, it was rjv who told me that I was playing too slow on the Hard Campaign version of the mission.

As for the (non-Hard) Campaign missions for which I don't have day-by-day guides (although a couple of these were listed as "pending"), their previously reported perfect minimums are as follows:

Two-Week Test - 12 days
Factory Blues - 8 days (link)
A Mirror Darkly - 6 days
Sea of Hope - 10 days (link)
Danger x 9 - 6 days
Great Sea Battle - 13 days (link)

As you can infer, a HQ capture is indeed possible with "Two-Week Test" and was done by myself, but I've only done it once in 2005 after first succeeding with imperfect scores in 13 and 12 days. Dragon Fogel did contact me in late 2008 for information as he wanted make a video of it, but I wasn't able to put in the time to provide him the information he needed. If I remember correctly, both "Factory Blues" and "A Mirror Darkly" were reported by a transient member azu, who posted partial strategies, on the GameFAQs message board (credited in the guide), and another person (whose name I unfortunately did not get a chance to record) reported "Great Sea Battle" with Drake and Kanbei among other fast scores while I had previously done it with the Eagle, Sami (or Andy), and Sensei team I had listed in the guide. Some additional notes as well: "Neotanks!?" can also be done by Olaf and Grit in 8 days and the "Colin bomber" strategy (as it was often dubbed) for "Final Front" can be modified for Eagle, Max, and Kanbei with, if I recall correctly, less luck required.

And congratulations on your new Campaign scores, -STL-! Were you also able to acquire the lab map in "Toy Box" within those 9 days as well? (If that secondary goal was not achieved, I probably could not personally consider it a minimum for the mission. I have, however, since been able to both obtain the lab map and complete perfectly in 9 days. The most frustrating part is the randomness of the tank deployment on Lash's Day 6, as it must not be deployed near the HQ, and there does not appear to be a solid method to predisposition it towards the northern base. Great job on the map!)

-Translucent Air

P.S. If you were the person to post the GameFAQs message about "Great Sea Battle" with Drake and Kanbei in 13 days, feel free to contact me with the third CO you listed and approximate time you posted, and, if I ever get around to updating my guide, I'll make sure to give you the proper dues. (I'm actually quite keen on knowing who you were.)

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:58 am

I´m rather new to AW, i got AWDS as my first AW game about 1 year ago (so i find it normal to use Skills).

Thanks for the info, AW2 Campaign defininitly will be a hard challenge.

On Factory Blues, Kanbei can win w/o the help of the BM CO in 8 days by attacking the pipe on Day 6-8 with Tank and Day 8 Art attack, if we would use grit and charge his COP until Day 7 we could win in 7 days i think, i will check that too in the next run.

Great Sea Battle with Drake sounds interesting, i only made the 16 days with Sonja´s Rockets yet.

On Toy Box i only focused on capturing the Enemy HQ, great job on capturing both^^ And yeah this Tank was annoying to get built north, i tried random positions until i had him there, do u think his build place is only random?

Edit: The Hunts End 10/300 Sonja with Andy/Sami

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 am

Aha, so now it becomes relevant! I had totally forgotten about this score for "The Hunt's End"; I posted it in the "Advance Wars 2 War Room Fastest Scores" topic more than six months ago but there was no one to converse with about it. If you get a chance, try it out with Colin sometime, since he requires a slight modification over Andy, Sami, Olaf and Grit. It's a slight disappointment that a Sensei and Grit pairing cannot use a similar strategy as Sensei still needs to take out a minicannon on his own with a battleship with decreased firepower. Great job!

-Translucent Air

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 am

Oh, i haven´t seen this.
I´m working on the 9 day win now. If it´s possible that Adder not builds his AAs near the Pipe, Kanbei/Sami get it. If the Minicannon would target the most expensive unit and not the most expensive while factoring HP in, Sensei could even get a 8 day win.

Edit: The Hunt´s End 8/300 Sensei/Anyone

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Very impressive! I was able to manage it after doing Sensei & Sami in with 300 pts. in 9 days. I see you went with the westward opening movement for the enemy battleship (as the stationary opening move prevents Adder from deploying one of the two highly mobile battle copters required to move towards Sensei and a southern opening movement is detrimental to the strategy).

I look forward to seeing what else you can improve.

-Translucent Air

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:36 am

Ok I finally managed to get the Parts 4, 5 and 6 of that GameFAQs convo. If ever someone gets the Part 3 or the email contact of old players who could have saved it, let me know.

A first note is that during all this time, Part 6 was in fact already on the web, posted by Hsheepro there: http://www.nwbbs.com/viewthread.php?tid=92447
Note that the other Chinese site with Garozzo's strats is now dead.

There were no big surprises in these files, except an unnoticed Risky Vale 15/300 with Kanbei by Dragonfogel, maybe it is improvable but it looks very good already. Also as it was suspected Hsheepro posted Lost Basin 14/300 (partial) strat, but it has been beaten since. Anyway it is still very interesting to know more about that history, so here is the list of the successive improvements in War Room made during GameFAQ's period. Bold indicates the perfect scores, all are 300 ofc. Let's start by an extract from the page 3 of Part 4:

"From: rjv | Posted: 11/12/2003 7:34:30 AM | Message Detail
I've compiled a list of minimum (300 pt) days for each map, and have given my opinion on whether or not we've hit them or not. Feel free to agree or disagree.

! -sure
? -unsure

Spann Island- 6 days!
Moji Island- 7 days!
Duo Falls- 8 days!
Sole Harbor- 7 days!
Pivot Isle- 8 days!
Land’s End- 11 days!
Kita Straight- 13 days?
Point Stormy- 8 days!
Ridge Island- 9 days!
Mial’s Hope- 10 days!
Bounty River- 15 days!
Toil Ferry- 9 days!
Twin Isle- 8 days!
Dire Range- 13 days?
Egg Islands- 9 days!
Terra Maw- 13 days!
Stamp Islands- 10 days?
Rivers Four- 15 days?
Ring Islands- 7 days!
Last Mission- 11 days?
Pay Dirt- 10 days!
Long Road- 13 days!
Nest Egg- 9 days!
The Trident- 8 days!
Banker Hills- 10 days?
Missile Plains- 8 days?
Lost Basin- 16 days?
Risky Vale- 17 days!
The Ring- 12 days!
Strong Land- 13 days?"

Improvements since 12/11/03:

12/11/03 Rjv improves Terra Maw to 14.
12/11/03 Kikutaro perfects Terra Maw to 13.
12/11/03 Killersim7 improves Strong Land to 12.
13/11/03 Translucent Air improves Mial's Hope to 9 and Long road to 12.
13/11/03 Killersim7 gets imperfect Trident 7/2xx.
14/11/03 Kikutaro improves Rivers Four to 14.
16/11/03 Rjv improves Last Mission to 8.
18/11/03 Killersim7 improves Ridge Island to 8 then 7.
19/11/03 Rjv improves Last Mission to 7.
21/11/03 Kikutaro improves Strong Land to 11.
22/11/03 Rjv improves Missles Plains to 7, then 6 and perfects to 5.
22/11/03 Kikutaro improves Kita Straight to 9.
23/11/03 Rjv improves Banker Hills to 8.
24/11/03 Rjv improves Rivers Four to 11.
25/11/03 Kikutaro improves Risky Vale to 16.
01/12/03 Kikutaro perfects Banker Hills to 7.
14/12/03 Rjv improves Dire Range to 10.
16/12/03 Kikutaro improves Rivers Four to 10.
17/12/03 Kikutaro improves Risky Vale to 15.
08/01/04 Translucent Air perfects Kita Straight to 8.
21/02/04 Translucent Air improves Toil Ferry to 8 then perfects to 7.
29/03/04 Najdorf improves Risky Vale to 14.
15/04/04 Graphyte Ronin improves Strong Land to 10.
17/04/04 Dragonfogel gets imperfect Trident 7/290.
17/04/04 Hsheepro perfects Spann Island to 5 and improves Duo Falls to 7.
24/04/04 Thefalman improves Stamp Islands to 9.
26/05/04 Translucent Air improves Mial's Hope to 8.
10/06/04 Translucent Air perfects Stamp Islands to 8.
28/06/04 Hsheepro improves Lost Basin to 15.
28/06/04 Hsheepro improves Risky Vale to 13.
05/07/04 Hsheepro improves The Ring to 11.
06/07/04 Hsheepro improves Lost Basin to 14.

At the end the players focused on their total number of days for 9000 points, Hsheepro having 269, Kikutaro 285, Najdorf 289 and Rjv 290.
I may continue later with Cyberscore history. :)