So I Got AW2!

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Blackbird

So I Got AW2!

Post by Blackbird » Sat May 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Found it used today in the local game shop, and it set me back a massive five bucks. I'm going to cry myself to sleep about that when I get a few hundred hours of replay value from this game =P. Do you ever buy used games? I find used GBA/DS games especially interesting, because you often get to see the previous player's save file and see what sort of gamer they were. The guy or girl who had my cart before must have been a total badass. They had S-Ranked most of the War Room and must have cleared the Hard Campaign, because they had Hachi unlocked. Not bad! I felt like I had gotten a cart that was well played and loved by it's previous owner. It made me a little reluctant to clear the data, so I could discover everything for myself.

Is it possible to see the overall Campaign score in AW2 (the Ranking room)? I'm curious what his/her campaign score was.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: So I Got AW2!

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat May 08, 2010 2:37 pm

There's no quick way. The most you can do is see what rank they got on each individual level as you go through Campaign.

The only other indicator of progress is that if Sturm is unlocked, that means they got an overall S on Normal Campaign.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sat May 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Yeah, Sturm's unlocked, so they must have S-Ranked at least one Campaign. That doesn't tell me which one, though =P. They must have played a ton; they had all the alternate outfits for each character purchased, too.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sat May 08, 2010 6:18 pm

You should erase his save =P It's really not fair to start with Sturm...
I'm curious to know your War Room scores, some maps are still underplayed. Also you can note your Campaign scores, until now only STL and Translucent Air have tried to max them but I will join them soon.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat May 08, 2010 10:18 pm

I bet you'll be having fun getting a bunch of new highscores, AW2 is the least played/maxed AW

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sat May 08, 2010 11:01 pm

Btw Alaktorn, when do u start AW2 and show us your new highscores ;-)!
Lol I agree some of campaign and COs scores are underplayed, but AW2 War Room looks very stable now. However there might be good surprises in Lost Basin and Risky Vale...

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun May 09, 2010 1:05 am

I think Translucent Air has just about maxed AW2 NC. HC is another matter, though.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun May 09, 2010 1:11 am

fcastro wrote:Btw Alaktorn, when do u start AW2 and show us your new highscores ;-)!
whenever I find it cheap, which probably means never :(

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun May 09, 2010 3:25 am

Yeah, I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything exciting =). I did a little testing, and was very relieved to see that faster completion trumps same score in the War Room. The AI seems much, much more flexible in this game... AI doesn't auto-target transports, and I even think the build order is variable! I'll have to re-learn the metagame to figure out how to properly bait the AI. Still a little disappointed that Campaign score is hard to track. Seems like they took two or three steps forward and one back.

I think I might track my progress through Campaign mode when I get time to play it seriously. Maybe like a completion diary of sorts. I did that when I completed FEDS on H5 (hardest setting) and people seemed to enjoy it.

@fcastro - Yeah, Sturm is lolbroken, and even worse, lolplayable in War Room. He seems like he'll be among the best of the COs available for the War Room, except where Power isn't needed and Sami/Sensei can rush the HQ faster. I'll clear his save in a little bit. I just wanted to tinker with it and see what else was in there.

@Alaktorn - Is AW2 expensive/hard to find in Italy? As I mentioned in my first post, I got my copy for 5 USD in my local game store. I bet you could find it lying around somewhere for cheap, since it's a really old GBA game. If you can't, let me know. I'd be willing to look around here for a copy, although I bought the last one at the nearest store.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun May 09, 2010 5:54 am

Actually, I found the AI in AW2 had some pretty strong build preferences. For instance, they will always have five infantry-class units (8 in a few cases) and an APC.

There are maps where you can seriously abuse this. On Dire Range, for instance, it's not hard to get Colin to continuously rebuild a fighter/bomber while you destroy it as soon as it's built. There are also a few maps where you can destroy a rocket only to have it be rebuilt immediately, then you destroy it again, and the AI never gets the money to build anything else.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun May 09, 2010 7:11 am

@Blackbird: it's hard to find, and everything I found on ebay was €20+...

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun May 09, 2010 7:15 am

Ugh, that's way overpriced. Tell you what, if I see a cheap copy around here, I'll buy it for you. I might have better luck here in the States.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sun May 09, 2010 8:20 am

thank you ^^

RadioShadow

Post by RadioShadow » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:33 am

I remember buying the game on it's EU release data from Game Station (UK Shop). Good times! I wish I had kept the box, but I threw that away.

The Car Boot Sale I went to last month had someone selling second hand games for a decent price. They were selling at least 50 GBA games for £3 (without boxes) and to my amazement, they had Advance Wars (US and EU version) and Advance Wars 2 (EU). I almost brought them, but only had £5 on me and brought Game and Watch Gallery for the Gameboy instead for £1!

ALAKTORN, there is a cheap EU copy of AW2 going on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nintendo-Game-Boy ... 4aa1ff62ea