Advance Wars 2 Campaigns - Optimal Completion Times

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Blackbird

Re: Advance Wars 2 Campaigns - Optimal Completion Times

Post by Blackbird » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:44 am

Here's the D2D. Fogel, you are welcome to record this if you so desire. Encode it in HD so it looks nice and crisp ;).

Two Week Test (NC)
300 pts
8 Days
CO: Colin

Colin Day 1:
Deploy Infantry in both bases.

Colin Day 2:
Eastern Inf 1E, 2S, begin capturing city.
Remaining Inf begin capturing southern neutral base.
Deploy an APC in your East base.
Deploy a Mech in your West base.

Colin Day 3:
Complete captures.
Load Mech into APC, move 2E, 4S, drop E.
Deploy an Infantry in your East base.
Deploy a Recon in your West base.
Save here.

Lash Day 3:
Lash's Tank must move to a location 1W or 1N, 1W of her NW base.

Colin Day 4:
Load Inf on city into APC, move 3S, 2E, drop N.
Mech 2S.
Both remaining Inf 2E, 1S.
Recon 3E, 3S.
Deploy Artillery in your South base.
Deploy an Infantry in your West base.
Save here.

Lash Day 4:
Her Md Tank must move 5W. This seems like somewhat of a rare movement, it can be extremely frustrating to get.
Lash's Artillery must move West (if it remains on the city, it will destroy your APC). Both of it's common movements generally move it out of the way.

Colin Day 5:
Load Mech into APC. Move 2S, 4E. It should be either in the dead zone of Lash's Arty or out of it's range.
Damaged Inf 1N, 1E.
Recon 5E.
Inf on friendly city 3S, begin capturing.
Inf on woods 2S.
Remaining Inf 2N, begin capturing.
Arty 2E, 2S.
Deploy a Tank in your South base.
Deploy an Infantry in your East base.
Save here.

Lash Day 5:
Lash's AA destroys your damaged Inf.
Lash's Tank and Md Tank destroy your capturing Inf.
Lash's B Copter must move 5W.

Colin Day 6:
Complete capture of NW base.
Move Inf on base 2E, begin capturing.
Attack Tank with Arty.
Attack Tank with your Tank. Do not destroy it.
Deploy a Mech in S base, and 2 Inf in your remaining bases.
Move Inf on neutral city 3E, begin capturing.
Move Recon 2S, 2E. Attack B Copter. Your Recon should be in the Rocket's dead zone. (Why? This makes the Rockets feel "safe" for some reason, so they don't move South to camp on a city in range of the HQ).
APC 4E, 1S, drop Mech E.
Save here.

Lash Day 6:
Lash's AA and B Copter destroy your capturing Inf.
Lash's Md Tank attacks your capturing Inf.
Lash's Rockets must move away from the HQ (North or West).
Lash's APC must move off the HQ.

Colin Day 7:
Move northernmost Inf 2E, begin capturing neutral base.
Join an Inf to your damaged capturing Inf.
Move Mech 1S.
Move remaining Inf off the base.
Deploy 2 Inf in western bases, an Arty in S base, and a Mech in E base.
Attack Md Tank with Arty.
Move your Tank SE, towards the retreating damaged Tank, but not into range of Lash's Rockets, Arty, or Neotank. 2S, 2E is often an ideal location.
Begin capturing HQ with Mech.
Move Recon 5E, 2S.
Move APC 2N. (Both units should not be in range of Lash's Rockets, and should form a wall to protect your Mech from the Neotank's attack).

Lash Day 7:
Lash's Md Tank attacks your northern capturing Inf.
Lash's B Copter attacks a different capturing Inf.
Lash's AA attacks your Arty.
Lash's Neotank destroys your Recon.

Colin Day 8:
Destroy damaged Tank with your Tank.
Destroy AA with Mechs and other units if needed.
Clear your bases and deploy as many units as possible.
Complete HQ capture!

HPD
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by HPD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Two Week Test is now One Week Test O_o

Sick score right there.
"So when I say the fudge shaman flies he goddamn well flies and that's that." - Narts
"My motto is that there are far too many women in the world to waste time with men." - thefalman
"It's just that I'm not really aware of how a common conversation goes." - Imano Ob, talking on MSN about talking on MSN
"As for FE8, that was IS' variant of Man Spam - Dudes with Swords edition." - Xenesis

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:57 am

Working my way through Campaign again to get a Two-Week Test video. On the way there, I managed to figure out the strategy for Flak Attack in 2 days. Here's the day-to-day:

Day 1:
-Destroy B-Copter with Missiles
-Move Mech 2N
-Move Rocket 2N
-Move N Anti-Air 1N 3E
-Move W Anti-Air 1S 5W
-Load Infantry into T-Copter
-Move T-Copter 3W 3N, do not drop infantry
-Move S B-Copter 1S of T-Copter. (This manipulates enemy movement.)
-Attack southern B-Copter with remaining B-Copter, dealing 8 damage; this is essential to avoid it attacking on Flak's turn.

Flak Day 2:
-Here's the key to making this work: Flak's AI will attack a loaded T-Copter over a B-Copter, and a B-Copter over Missiles. You're going to take advantage of this to prevent him from damaging key units.
-Flak will first attack your T-Copter from the north with his Fighter; he must get bad luck on this attack, so the T-Copter survives. Then he will finish it with a B-Copter from the west; this puts that B-Copter into missile range. Moving a B-Copter south of the T-Copter is essential, otherwise Flak will attack from the south and then north, leaving your missiles with no target.
-Flak must not move any units (specifically, his Bombers) where you cannot attack them.

Max Day 2:
-Attack tank with rocket, then mech.
-Attack B-Copter in range with missiles.
-Activate Max Force.
-Destroy 2HP B-Copter with weakened B-Copter.
-Destroy last B-Copter with healthy B-Copter.
-Destroy infantry with anti-air.
-Destroy both bombers with anti-airs.
-Save. Attack Fighter with last anti-air; 91% damage, need full Luck roll to succeed. Reload until you get it.

So you need to make a minor luck roll, get the AI to fail a luck roll on its turn and not move its bombers over open sea, then get a max luck roll. That's quite a bit of luck, but it's not as bad as STL first predicted.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:22 am

Cool! I'll have to check that out when I finish up the campaign. I'm gonna wait a little while longer to save my file, just in case you need help replicating the strategy for Two Week Test. At least it doesn't take long to get to the Blue Moon campaign. The Orange Star maps are easy enough to get through.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:08 am

Two-Week Test strategy confirmed. Video to come shortly - I have several savestates on days where I got the right enemy movement, so I should be able to string it together with relatively little trouble. Just need to record.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:49 pm

Sounds good. On to the Green Earth campaign, then!

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:06 pm

I tried your Flak Attack strat, Dragon Fogel :)
Worked great, only one thing to note i think you meant -Move W Anti-Air 1S 5W instead of -Move W Anti-Air 1S 4W (1S works too). Thanks for it and good that it´s not so insane as i believed XD

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:20 am

Thanks, corrected now.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:49 am

Great, we used same strat. :)
I went on HC, it is harder than expected. Liberation can be cleared in 8 days also by Andy, but getting 100 power looked to ask for specific AI moves, so I didnt fully checked and used Sami instead. I'll check at next try. As other notes, Silo Scramble by 9 days is made by HQ cap.
Now a "new" record: A Mirror Darkly HC 9/300!!! In fact 9 days are the required time for getting 100 speed <_<, sorry...

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Two-Week Test video is up!

Now you can see Blackbird's strategy in action.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Blackbird, I was able to verify Two-Week Test on a Game Boy Wars Advance 1+2 cartridge (the Japanese release), although I have a few notes and changes since the enemy battle copter was pretty much set on flying 3 spaces west, 1 south, and then 1 west again (opposed to 5 spaces west) from its deployment position. These alternatives may make the strategy more robust from the beginning of Day 5 onward, allowing for more options.

For Day 5, moving the injured infantry is unnecessary as the enemy tank has movement priority, so, if it attacked from the east, it still opens up a spot for the enemy anti-air to kill the allied infantry. To handle the special case I noted above (and likely your case as well), move the remaining easternmost uninjured infantry (in woods) 2 spaces south then 1 east (this has the added advantage of preventing accidental capturing of the city 2 spaces south) on Day 5. Then, on Day 6, move the unit into the woods south of the city you state to capture (the city is outside the attack range of the enemy battle copter in my case). The battle copter and then the anti-air will still attack and kill the stated infantry from the south and north, respectively. Consequently, attacking the battle copter with the allied recon isn't required, as there is no unit to attack in my case; simply performing the movement is adequate.

Now, since the enemy battle copter is no longer able to attack an allied capturing infantry on Day 7, other issues arise. Instead of attacking the enemy medium tank on Day 7, the southern allied artillery should be moved south towards the woods and out of range of the enemy anti-air, preventing its destruction at the hands of both the enemy battle copter and anti-air (attacking the enemy medium tank is not needed as Lash's medium tank won't kill an allied capturing infantry in one shot given the terrain). On Lash's turn on Day 7, the enemy battle copter will attack the artillery while the anti-air simply moves forward onto the southernmost road tile near Colin's HQ as it has nothing to attack at that point (the enemy medium tank moves afterward, attacking the northernmost allied capturing infantry). This makes it especially easy for the enemy anti-air to be destroyed on Day 8 as it now loses all terrain defense.

Great job on the mission, Blackbird! Given your progress so far, I'm a little disappointed you didn't complete Show Stopper on your own; I would have liked to see what you would have done! It's also great to see the video, Dragon Fogel; it probably even makes my response easier to understand.

Also, since the game disallows a defeat by rout or deletion in this mission (yielding or having Colin's own HQ captured are the only possible ways to lose), Two-Week Test is an excellent mission to highlight the lower limits and mechanics of the Technique scoring. If no units are built during the course of the mission (granting a win since Lash places a vehicular unit on Colin's HQ that will not move afterward), 0 points are awarded for Technique. However, if at least one unit is built and all allied units are subsequently destroyed, 20 points are awarded for Technique (in accordance with the formula). Thus, building the first unit is what initializes the scoring formula for Technique. Just a fun fact.

-Translucent Air

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:17 am

Nice video, Fogel! I'm delighted to see it "live" as it were. I noticed in this demonstration that the Rockets were actually covering the HQ! I'm surprised that they didn't blow up the APC or Recon. It looks like it decided to flee the threatening Tank unit rather than attack in this case.

Those sound like some excellent changes, TA. I haven't a chance to test it right now because the cart is saved, but if everything works as you describe, that should make the B Copter much more manageable. I forget exactly why I did things as I did; perhaps I was afraid the Recon would be attacked and destroyed. It could also be a remnant of a strategy where the B Copter was killed with an AA for the Power score (I later decided not to build an AA, in favor of producing more units). It's great to hear confirmation on cart, too. I may try Show Stopper again some other time; at that point, I was just really impatient to get some more COs unlocked =P.

One other amusing point about Two Week Test:

You don't actually have to do anything to win this map. You can literally just end your turn over and over and win without producing a single unit. Lash rarely (if ever) captures your HQ in time to defeat you. This is very easy, but you will get a 0 for Tech, of course =)

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:16 am

Yeah, I decided to take a chance and see what would happen with the rockets, and it worked out. I guess they decided the APC wasn't a worthwhile target or something.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:42 am

Sinking Feeling (NC) can be completed in 10 Days, with the lab map obtained. I don't think it could be completed faster by ignoring the map, because the cost of the Lander delays the purchase of an extra Battleship 1 turn/attack. We could also buy two more Artillery, but by the time I capture the base, only the first Artillery I deploy can reach the Battleships in time to attack meaningfully. For that reason, I don't think the extra funds saved by ignoring the map will help complete the map faster; the real hangup on this map is simply destroying all the B Ships, not getting to the lab city quickly. I'll test it anyway, just for fun.

Let me know if you're interested in endstate pics or D2D and I'll get that to you.

If you just want a hint:
Hidden Text
I built a B Ship first, because there isn't a rush to get to the Lab city. Extra attacks take higher priority. I gained extra funds by joining a barely damaged Md Tank. This allowed me to purchase a second B Ship and an Artillery on the same turn, both of which are much more effective against Lash's B Ships. Tanks aren't ignored though, after clearing the minicannons, the remaining Tanks and Md Tanks contribute meaningful chip damage to the B Ships. I carefully manage joins to reduce the attacks needed to destroy the B Ships. The CO Power is used several times to increase damage and mobility.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I've replicated Castro's 4 Day win on "To the Rescue". Winning in 4 Days requires some extremely creative decoying, as well as some damage optimization to get Eagle's Lightning Strike charged early. Overall, I'd characterize it as a mind-bogglingly awesome strategy. Props to Castro for finding this one =).

You guys let me know if you want the walkthrough, as usual.

I'm still thinking about all the other Green Earth maps, though, lol. Navy vs Air is particularly irksome, because the theoretical minimum is obviously 7 Days, but there are obstacles in that map that make that solution seem unattainable.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 am

I dont well remember To the Rescue, I'd like to see your strat to compare with (and remember) mine. You also finished with Sami?
For Navy vs Air, I also hope it can be improved, I got the 10 days w/o caping airport (unlike Translucent Air) nor sending a 3rd lander, so the HQ isnt so well covered. Btw reading Translucent's guide a bit late, I discovered that for the very last mission Final Front it was possible to fully move Colin's bomber by luring the cannons with other units. As I didnt notice it before, I lost one day and had to charge Colin's SCOP <_<... So, you might be able to combine both strats for improving the score by one day! :)

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:15 am

Using Sami's Rockets is necessary to complete To the Rescue in 4 Days. Eagle's Bombers can't reach the NW laser cannon in that time, even with an extra move from Lightning Strike, so Sami has to destroy it herself. Keeping the Rockets undamaged for two turns against Adder's four(!) B copters is daunting, especially when indirect units have a very high kill-priority for the AI. Eventually I realized that, by loading Sami's APC, I increased it's kill-priority with the AI, and thus redirected Adder's B Copters to attack it instead! I used Sami's AA and Missiles to counterattack and destroy 2 B Copters, leaving two left. Then, on the following turn, the remaining 2 B Copters, with a movement boost from Sidewinder, prefer to attack the Missiles over the Rockets. Normally both have the same kill priority, but because the Missiles are on a road, they take more damage, and so the B Copters target them instead of the Rocket in the woods. I have to advance the remaining Mechs to block the northern chokepoint, too, to prevent a Tank from getting in and attacking the Rocket. Every single one of Sami's units is utilized to protect those Rockets =P.

Meanwhile, Eagle's Bombers destroy the remaining 3 laser cannons, with the help of the early Lightning Strike. I moved the APC west and an AA north on the first turn, to ensure that Adder advanced his air units towards the SE of the map, rather than towards Sami. Destroying/crippling three bombers and some B Copters in the same turn is enough to get me a Lightning Strike on Day 3. I get the Power score on the Lightning Strike turn, too.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Confirming another of Castro's strategies, this time for Drake's Dilemma. I leave two spotter subs and two B Ships up north to assist with Power later, and send the rest of the navy to run the gauntlet of Hawke's Rockets and Arty to attack the Black Cannons. Only the B Ship and Lander really need to survive; the remaining ships are used to decoy Hawke's attacks and are later joined to greatly increase my funds. If at least one B Ship survives with 6 or more HP, it can destroy a Black Cannon over three turns (provided Black Wave/Storm isn't triggered later...). Getting the Lander to survive is tedious though. The AI loves to destroy it, only rarely choosing to attack the other units instead. When the Lander survives, it is loaded with a Rocket and Md Tank (purchased by joining Subs and Cruisers) and carefully drops those units off to destroy the remaining cannon on the last turn, avoiding a Rocket and AA. Kanbei's forces prevent Hawke from utilizing the silos, delay the capture of the neutral base/deployment of extra units, and bait the Recons towards Drake's base. On the Power turn, Tanks from Drake's base destroy the pair of Recons that Kanbei has baited, and two B Ships in the North destroy another two units.

I think 6 Days is likely the optimum time on this map. The Lander and it's forces cannot arrive to assist in the destruction of the cannons any sooner than Day 6, which leaves the B Ships as the next most viable option to destroy the cannons. I don't believe the Battleships could be positioned to destroy both cannons before 6 Days, even assuming you could get several through the gauntlet at full HP.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:42 am

It's very challenging, but I've confirmed that Jess can clear Danger x 9 in 6 Days, bringing her to par with Eagle. Next, I will revisit Eagle and see if this strategy can be adapted to improve his score, and finally I'll check to see how far I can get with Drake.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:58 am

Great. In HC I routed Duty and Honor 10/300 (perfect score I think) and Toy Box 16/300 with secret map, doesnt look very good. :(

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm assuming that Toy Box win was a HQ capture?

Eagle regains his throne, deposing Jess to grab a 5 Day win on Danger x 9! It's a new high score! I joined two Recons early and optimized funds in order to purchase Md Tanks two days in a row, which I use to destroy Hawke's units on the right side of the map. By sacrificing the B Ship, I was able to charge Lightning Drive before Hawke uses his Black Storm, which allowed me to get a lot of OHKOs with the Md Tanks before he could cripple my forces.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Excellent! Please dont spoil too much Danger x9 as I still havent played it yet XD
Toy Box was rout, AI has a md Tank on his HQ...
Also new 300 scores:

Nature Walk 7 put tank on hq - Grit
Neotanks 9 HQ cap - Colin
Reclamation 14 HQ cap (with a such bad time I'm sure rout works too ^^) - Colin
T Minus 9 cap 8 cities - Andy/Olaf
Two Week Test 15 survive - Colin...

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:54 am

I destroyed both Factory Blues and Hunt's End with Colin's Bomber by 11 days, the partners were Max in Blue Moon and then Sonja in Yellow Comet. Getting the 300 wasnt easy in Hunt's End, 5 kills necessary XD and many funds are used in battleship for helping Colin to destroy the pipe... Also I skipped Show Stopper and Sea of Hope, they'll be all yours :p

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:31 am

Filling out the list nicely, castro! That completes Blue Moon's hard campaign!

Incredible. Using the basic strategy and funds planning used in the Eagle strategy and adding another grueling layer of optimization, Jess is -also- able to clear Danger x 9 in 5 Days. This brings her to par with Eagle once again. Should I hope for 4 Days with Eagle!? (unlikely, lol).

Edit: Drake clears in 6. The other CO's mobility really helps them a lot on this map, and Typhoon is almost a hindrance in FOW. Trying to clear in 4 Days with Eagle, I noticed that some units won't be in position to be destroyed until Day 5. They are just too far away to reach before then (and behind a chokepoint, to boot). So I think I'm done with this map =P.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 am

Here's the D2D for Danger x 9 in 5 Days, using Jess. Enjoy!
Hidden Text
Danger x 9 (NC)
300pts
5 Days
CO: Jess or Eagle (Jess used for this walkthrough)

Jess Day 1:
Deploy an Infantry in your NW base.
Deploy an Artillery in your Central base.
Deploy a Tank in your SE base.
Md Tank 5N.
AA 5N.
Western Recon 1W, 6N.
Eastern Recon 3W, 5N.
B Ship 2E, 2N.
Cruiser 3E, 3N.
Save here.

Hawke Day 1:
Must advance his Tank into your visible area in the NW.
His Recon attacks your Infantry.

Jess Day 2:
Md Tank 1E, 3N. Destroy the Recon.
Attack the Tank with your B Ship.
Attack the Tank with either Recon. It's best if the Tank has 3 HP remaining, otherwise there is a chance it will retreat (although it's not certain).
Join your remaining Recon to the damaged one.
Attack/Destroy the Mech with your AA.
Inf 3N.
Cruiser 1E, destroy B Copter. The movement varies a little, so you may need to improvise. Don't go too far away from the B Ship, though.
Arty 2E, 2S.
Tank 2N, 1E.
Deploy Infantry in your NW and Central bases.
Deploy a Md Tank in your SE base.
Save here.

Hawke Day 2:
His damaged Tank must attack your Recon.
His Md Tank must advance into your Artillery's attack range.
Typically, two B Copters attack the B Ship, and one destroys your damaged Infantry. If the Cruiser or Recon are attacked, something has gone wrong.

Jess Day 3:
Cruiser 1S, destroy B Copter to the South.
Attack/Destroy damaged Tank with your B Ship.
Move AA to a position 1E, 1S of your B Ship. Destroy a B Copter.
Recon 1N, 1E. Destroy Mech or Tank if they remain.
NW Md Tank 2N, 2E. Destroy AA.
NW Inf 2N, 1E.
Attack the Md Tank with your Arty.
SE Md Tank 1W, 2N. Destroy the Md Tank.
Central Inf 1E, 1S. Begin capturing airport.
Tank 3E, 1S.
Deploy a Md Tank in your SE base.
Save here.

Hawke Day 3:
His B Copter attacks your B Ship or Infantry.
His second Md Tank must advance 2W, 3S into a position 1N of the neutral city.
An unseen Rocket attacks your capturing Infantry.
His Arty must not advance to the NW (it typically remains 1E of the central Rockets).
His APC must not move to a position east of his Tank (it typically remains on the beach tiles somewhere).

Jess Day 4:
Cruiser 1W, 3S. Destroy B Copter.
NW Md Tank 1N, 2E. Attack Tank.
AA 4E. Destroy Tank.
Recon 4E.
NW Inf 2N, 1E.
Save here.
Tank 3W, 1S. Attack Md Tank, doing at least 2 Damage. Reload as needed.
Save here.
Southernmost Md Tank 3N. Attack Md Tank, doing at least 6 Damage and taking no damage from the counterattack. Reload as needed.
Remaining Md Tank 2E, 2N. Destroy Md Tank.
Arty 3N, 1W.
B Ship 2W, 3E (if it remains).
Deploy Tanks in your NW and SE bases.
Deploy an Infantry in your Central base.

Hawke Day 4:
Uses Black Storm.
His Rockets destroy your capturing Inf.

Jess Day 5:
Use Overdrive (SCOP).
Attack the Rockets with your Arty.
Recon 2E, 2S. Destroy the Rockets.
Southernmost Tank 7N, 1W. Attack Arty.
Damaged Tank 4N, 2E. It should reveal an Infantry.
AA 3E, 3S. Destroy Arty.
Spot APC with NW Infantry if needed.
Md Tank on city 4N, 2E. Destroy Rockets.
Md Tank on woods 3N, 1E, 3N. Destroy Infantry.
Deploy Infantry/T Copters in all bases if necessary.
Destroy APC with Tank, Md Tank, and B Ship as needed.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Factory Blues NC should be doable by any combo.

The YC/OS CO gets 3 Tank and 1 Art attack
The BM gets 1 Art attack (Colin gets 3)

Kanbei (19+19+19+58= 115) and Colin (40+40+40 = 120) can finish on their own

But even the worst Combo Sensei (13+13+13+40 = 79) + Olaf (45) has more then enough room.

Edit: But it doesn´t really matter^^

Factory Blues NC 7/300 =O

Grit with Kanbei (or Max most-likely)

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Great! You charged grit's COP?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Yep^^ It´s really easy to charge, only Grit´s kills count for Power but it´s not really a prob either.
His Art does 67% so the partner must do 16%+ with Tanks to Pipe (110%+ attack).

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 am

Wow! I thought it might be possible, but how did you manage to get 3 stars in 7 Days without getting Grit's Arty destroyed? I could barely get 4 stars with Kanbei, and that was with a ton of predeployed units.

I'm going to have to go back and figure this out after the campaign is over...

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 am

Grit can start with 3 D1 Infs. So with 5+5+5+8+9+9 = 41k income in D1-D6 you have 35k to charge 27k^^

Btw
Mission 2: Border Skirmish
Mission 3: Orange Dawn
should be renamed

Mission 2NC/1HC: Border Skirmish
Mission 3NC/2HC: Orange Dawn

"HC: 8 Days - Destroy Black Cannon [Without Secret Map] - Andy
HC: 9 Days - Destroy Black Cannon [With Secret Map Obtained] - Andy [8 is believed possible]"

Got it in 8/300 with the secret map^^

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:08 am

You just waited for the infs ignoring ur cap or you found a more reliable way?

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:13 am

Yes i did^^
D1 Infs go by foot, 10 HP Inf caps, 7HP Inf attacks Inf next to City, Bomber attacks the Inf on City, i made T-Cop+Inf on Day 5. Then only the 7HP Inf can attack your Cap Inf. If you are lucky he refuses, but it´s not needed. I kept 8 and joined the 2HP Inf in. D5 Inf attacks the strongest Enemy Inf. The next day only the enemy Tank attacks^^

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Well shuck my corn and call me Colin! Navy vs Air NC can be completed in the optimal time of 7 Days after all! Frankly, I find it a little unbelievable.

Hints:
- Hawke's T Copter must be destroyed on Day 5 (when you would usually be clearing out more B Copters).
- RNG abuse is used to cause a rare movement.
- Tsunami is used in order to cause other optimal moves.

Edit: Adding D2D.

Navy Vs Air (NC)
300 pts
7 Days
CO: Drake

Drake Day 1:
Load Inf and AA into Lander.
Lander 5E.
All Cruisers NE as far as possible.

Drake Day 2:
Lander 4N, 3E.
Position Crusiers 1E, 1W, and 2W of your Lander, respectively.
Deploy a Lander.
Load Inf into Lander.

Drake Day 3:
Deploy 2 Infantry.
NE Lander 6E.
SW Lander 5E.
E Cruiser 5E, 2N.
W Cruiser 7E.
Remaining Cruiser 5E, 2S.

Hawke Day 3:
3 B Copters attack your Lander. It should survive.

Drake Day 4:
NE Cruiser 7E.
Central Cruiser 2S, 3E, 2N, destroy B Copter.
NE Lander 6E, 1S. Drop AA S.
SW Lander 4N, 3E.
Begin capturing both neutral bases.
Deploy 2 Infantry.
Save here.
Remaining Cruiser 2N, 2E. Destroy southern B Copter.

Hawke Day 4:
Hawke's B Copters typically destroy the western Cruiser and attack the western Lander. It may be better if the central Cruiser isn't damaged.
He must damage at least one Cruiser, because it is essential to use Tsunami next turn.

Drake Day 5:
Use Tsunami if it's charged. If not, use it as soon as it becomes charged. I don't know why, but it causes Hawke's Infantry to advantageously clump up in the NW of his base next turn.
Destroy T Copter with NE Cruiser.
If the western Cruiser survives, retreat it (probably 7E).
Remaining Cruiser 7E.
AA 2S.
E Lander 4E, Drop Inf S.
W Lander 2W.
Complete captures.
Clear SW base.
Move Inf on SE base 1N.
Deploy an AA and an Infantry.

Hawke Day 5:
Your Infantry is in range of Hawke's Artillery. You must more or less brute force the RNG until the Artillery decides to move north instead of attack. It's the least elegant strategy imaginable, but it works (eventually...). Getting this movement to happen is rare and can be difficult on cart. You will probably need to reload many times.
Hawke's Infantry should generally move NW.
Your W Infantry is attacked by Hawke's B Copter.
Your W Lander is attacked by 1 B Copter.

Drake Day 6:
The area around the HQ should be clear of hostile units. Save here if all went well.
Begin capturing Drake's HQ.
Destroy as many units as possible, being careful not to trigger Hawke's COP or SCOP. Your W AA can destroy a B Copter, your Cruisers can potentially destroy 2 B Copters, and your E AA can destroy an Infantry.
Retreat/Join units as needed.
Deploy units if needed.

Drake Day 7:
Deploy units if needed.
Complete capture (Hawke walks the plank)!
Last edited by Blackbird on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Great! NC was better than HC finally... Btw after your NC run will you play HC or War Room?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:26 am

I'll eventually get to HC and War Room. I'll probably take a break for a little bit after NC so I don't exhaust myself on this game. I was actually considering recording the NC run into some kind of superplay for youtube that includes all the current fastest times listed in this thread. I haven't a clue about recording techniques though, so I don't know if I'll actually do it.

donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:32 am

VisualBoyAdvance, an emulator, has an easy video capture...but according to HPD I can't tell you where the AW2 ROM is.
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:02 am

HC run finished. In Hot Pursuit I got it with the team Grit-Sensei (strat also works for Sami)- Max. The previous team I mentioned needed too much luck.
Final Front is laser destroying, made with Colin's SCOP. Then I restarted NC and got Toy Box 8/300, but lab map was untakable...

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:19 am

Toy Box done even faster! Rout or HQ Cap?

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:10 pm

HQ cap... Now that I think more about it, I should have tried the lab map, I saved too fast... =/

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 am

Yeah, AWDoR is really nice in that it lets you retry any campaign mission at any time. It's too bad we couldn't mash together DoR's convenience with AW2's scoring system =P.