AW2 Campaign Diary (Normal Campaign)

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: AW2 Campaign Diary (Normal Campaign)

Postby Dragon Fogel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:22 pm

I had hoped to do a video of Two-Week Test by HQ capture, but sadly, Translucent Air was unable to dig up his notes to help me with it, so I never puzzled it out.

If you manage to pull it off, I want careful notes so I can do a video. You will, of course, be credited - I'll just be demonstrating it.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Well, I didn't figure out the 12 Day strategy, but I did figure out the 8 Day strategy =P. Tech blows, so I'm going to try to improve it (It's still an S Rank, though). Proof and D2D tomorrow. As expected, it's a pain in the butt. The AI movements are quite random - one of those "the perfect storm of movement needs to happen on Day X" type strategies. It's doable on cart though, if tedious (I play with cart only, lol).

I was extremely disappointed to see that you don't get some kind of awesome secret message for totally owning Lash's face. I was expecting something like Nell's praise in AW1 when you do really well on certain training maps (only with Grit instead, lol).

On the upside, the Yield message on this map is hilarious. Lash pretty much takes pity on you and tells Colin how to win (use the big, obvious chokepoint, dummy!).

fcastro

Postby fcastro » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:54 am

Excellent work! I dont know if it's still the case here, but usually faster wins reveal "easier" to be played than longer wins; the hardest point is generally to imagine and to convince yourself than one score is possible, then there are generally very few ways leading to victory... Btw, what is theoretical fastest win for 2 Weeks Test?
Also for the score, I assume that until now all the fastest wins were made with 300 points? I guess you'll manage it soon :)

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 am

I'm not sure if that will be the case on this map... Power and Technique tend to get harder the longer this map drags on, because Lash has so many units to destroy yours with. Not sure about the theoretical fastest time; I'll figure that out. All the map solutions in the optimization thread are assumed to be 300 pt games unless listed otherwise. I'll try to get a 300 on this one too, but I'm not sure if I can do it. I need to sacrifice several units to get Lash's units to behave, and producing more units seems equally challenging. I have to use pretty much every unit I can produce - Infantry need to go off and be decoys, so there isn't much time for base capture.

Edit: Figured out the 300 pts in 8 Days! I managed to produce more units by using a Recon in place of an APC. This allowed me to capture another base early enough to produce more units later. D2D up in the campaign optimization thread.

Getting back to you, I think 7 Days is the theoretical minimum number of Days, but getting Lash's units away from the HQ in that time...

ALAKTORN

Postby ALAKTORN » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:10 pm

congratulations on that score :)

looking at your pics, 6 days would be possible, but you don't have enough money for D1 APC+Inf right?

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:31 pm

@ Alaktorn - Thanks! Regarding your question, you cannot afford both APC and Infantry on Day 1, as you have only 4000 funds at that point. My pictures are taken later in the map, after I've captured a few more cities.

Blue Moon campaign is complete at last. I was happy to unlock more COs for VS mode. It's just not the same without Grit's chokepoint camping shenanigans making me want to ragequilt. Colin's fun, too. I've gotten a little more accustomed to Colin's cheap units. They still feel flimsy to me, but I can definitely see his strengths as a CO, too. Amusingly, I have yet to actually use Power of Money. Few of the maps dragged on long enough to justify saving up for it when Gold Rush is only 2 Stars. Maybe I'll get around to experimenting with it in VS. The final mission was hilarious; Olaf got a little emotional.

There are turn-by-turn instructions for Two Week Test in the optimization thread already, so I'll do the same thing I did with T-Minus 15 and drop general hints and strategy here, in case you are interested in puzzling out the strategy for yourself. Hey Colin, we're going to leave you alone next to this massive enemy base, I'm sure there's no chance you'll be attacked, though! Colin: O_O

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Two Week Test Strategy
What a map. You start off with no units and few properties, while the AI has a large base and plenty of room to expand. With easily twice your income, the AI quickly develops a huge advantage, deploying numerous powerful units. It can be overwhelming trying to figure out how to deal with all of them. Compounding this, Lash's units are strong, too; if they attack you from the cities or mountains, you are going to take a ton of damage. The intended solution to this map is obvious; there is a tiny, narrow chokepoint in the northwest region of the map, and the map concludes on Day 15. So playing it the easy way, you just capture as many cities as you can before Lash arrives, then turtle up with Arties, Rockets, AA, and whatever meatshields you need and wait her out, making sure to destroy a bunch of units for Power. All you need to do is survive. However, because I am infected with BATTLECAR, I decided to attempt this map the stupid way - HQ capture. It quickly became apparent that this task was silly. Fumbling about, I decided to first look for a good "window" in the AI's build order that I could exploit for a capture opportunity. With a vague strategy in mind, I tried various APC rush movements, usually ending in my units exploding. Eventually, however, I developed a complex system of decoys to lure all of Lash's most mobile and dangerous units away from her HQ. This was very challenging, because several AI movements most occur at the same time to get an ideal setup for "safe" passage. It was hard to get everything to occur at once. Pretty much, an APC driver with a chip on his shoulder, nothing to lose, and balls of steel rides headlong into the enemy base, wheels on fire, while the ravening enemy hordes drive past him to ride over the mountains of burning corpses that were my brave decoys. Poor infantries =(. (Come to think of it, this game needs a Flamethrower unit of some kind). With APC infiltration down, I had to actually figure out how to capture the HQ... the APC camps on Lash's HQ like a total jerk! I eventually figured out that you had to bring a Mech in the APC to scare Lash's units off her HQ. Now the HQ is clear, but a Neotank threatens to disrupt my second day of capture. Capturing soldiers have an extremely high AI kill priority, and the tank is built on the day I begin capturing, so luring it away is out of the question. I decided that the only way was to make a shield with my units, sacrificing one to protect my Mech. But I only have one APC to work with... Ok, more strategy wrangling, and I figured out how to sneak 2 APCs in. However, now I have the problem where I've spent too much cash on vehicles, and more units are getting blown up, so my Tech went up in flames. More complicated wrangling, and I instead used a Recon as the second shield, and built more Infantry earlier. This allowed me to capture an extra base earlier. In combination with more conservative spending later, I was able to spam more units! I destroy the bare minimum of units for the Power score, picking off only the easiest of Lash's units to destroy. In the end, I barely eke out 300 points in 8 Days!

Looking back at the previous posts, I think I've already said most everything relevant to the Factory Blues strategy, so I'll omit that here rather than repeat old information. You can clear it in 8 Days using Kanbei, Colin, or even better, both of them. I had previously cleared the Yellow Comet campaign in anticipation of this outcome, so I had a pretty easy win here.

Onwards to Green Earth!

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Dragon Fogel » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm just going to note that I managed an 8-day win on Factory Blues once by having Colin build Artillery the first two days, moving both artillery as efficiently as possible to reach the pipe. At the time, I didn't think of using the Orange/Yellow army to assist.
Dragon Fogel,

Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 am

Beginning the Green Earth Campaign. The new CO, Jess, is introduced; then Eagle promptly starts squabbling with her like a bickering child =P. Yay. Jess seems alright to me. Sort of like Max, but with less power, better indirects, and weaker naval/air units. Her CO power is similar, too. I think I like her less overall, though. Her extra power isn't so much that it helps many of her units get oneshots when they wouldn't do so ordinarily (*cough*Kanbei*cough*), and her air/sea units, particularly her B Copters, aren't nearly as useful. Her CO power benefits fewer units, too. As a character, she looks pretty cool, I guess. Probably the best part about her is her theme. That bass line rocks!

Hawke is the primary antagonist of this campaign. He seems oddly calm, definitely not your typical villainous character. He doesn't even dismember his lackeys for being incompetent, what kind of villainy is that!? I'll take a moment here to mention how much I HATE mass damage COs. I can deal with regular CO powers; the enemy CO might gank you for a turn, but after that, ganking time is over. But mass damage COs deal permanent damage; it's gonna stick around and penalize you for the whole map! It's hard enough recovering ground units, and if you've got air or sea units, you're screwed; repairs are expensive, and there's no way you've got Ports in a convenient place for repairs. Usually you've either got to join or just suck it up. So annoying. Hawke's theme isn't really my favorite.

Getting back to Hawke, does anyone else think he might possibly be related to Eagle somehow, like an estranged sibling? Lets look at the evidence:

1) Similar hair color and style. Hawke's shaved the sides of his head, but if he didn't the hairstyle would probably be identical.
2) Similar names. Hawk and Eagle are both birds of prey.
3) Similar facial features. I think they look similar anyway.

Just my theory.

Getting to the maps.. of course I was going to clear Sea Fortress first ;). It's an easy map. You get a ton of predeployed air units and Eagle as CO, so you can pretty much ride in like a total badass, Ride of the Valkyries style, and Lightning Strike Hawke's units into so many piles of burning ash. The only real tricky points of this map, I found, are managing the CO powers and unit movement so that you can reach the minicannons in a timely manner. With a little practice to optimize my movements, I cleared in 4 Days, with 300 pts.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Sea Fortress Strategy
Well, just tips really. It's a short map, and not hard. Hawke's Black Storm will ruin your air units and prevent your Bombers from one-shotting Minicannons. So the trick is manage the CO meters and get your Lightning Strike before he gets Black Storm charged, so that you can take the best advantage of your units before they are weakened. Use your Copters to soften up Minicannons in advance so 8 HP Bombers can destroy them after Hawke inevitably uses his power. The other annoying point is that your full HP bombers need a luck roll to oneshot Hawke's Missiles. I did a little save/loading to make sure they were all destroyed, because they impede units from properly attacking the minicannons on Day 4 if left alive.

Next was Sinking Feeling. I wanted to access Neotanks early. I haven't found a good use for them in the campaign yet, but maybe Green Earth will be their time to shine! I also wanted to try out Jess, and this is her first map. The objective of this map is interesting... destroy an enormous fleet of helpless, trapped Battleships, but without the benefit of Subs! You have to advance your indirects quickly across the map to attack the ships early, but that involves battling through a fairly sizable force of Lash's Tanks and Md Tanks without losing critical units! After that, minicannons impede access to the area where the B Ships are. Bombers and B Copters cause annoying harassment later, too, because you cannot reach the Airport. So many obstacles! I was able to finish this map fairly quickly, 10 Days with 300 points and the lab map obtained. I posted a bit about it in the optimization thread, but here's more information!

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Sinking Feeling Strategy
I've found the biggest factor to completing this map quickly is simply maximizing the number of attacks you can make against the B Ships. This has to do largely with movement and funds optimization; getting your units there as quickly as possible (not stopping to attack much with your initial arty/rockets, as tempting as it might be), purchasing powerful units early, and securing an additional base (or bases) from which to deploy extra Artillery to attack the B Ships with. It's very tricky to do all of this at once, because Lash's Tanks are threatening. I capture the nearby port immediately so that I can deploy a B Ship of my own asap. Subs can't attack Lash's ships, but B Ships are very useful and can reach a good firing position quickly. I used spare Infantry and the largely unnecessary Recon to shield/bait attacks from more vital units as I advanced quickly. I carefully managed my initial movements to allow my indirects to move as far as possible, particularly my Rockets. You need to pick the ideal route so you don't have to cross many movement-reducing plains. I did end up making two Arty attacks, though, to assist in destroying a Tank and Md Tank without taking damage. Your Tanks are needed to eliminate Lash's ground units and are useful for baiting Minicannon attacks away from Arty, but aren't strictly needed to win quickly. Lash's Arty in the SE of the map can be annoying, but fortunately it usually sits adjacent to the base long enough for my Infantry to capture it without getting hit. I allow one Md Tank to take 1HP damage early so that I can join my Md Tanks together later (after Lash's Md tanks and southern minicannon are cleared) for additional funds. This lets me deploy a second B Ship and an Arty simultaneously, getting me more extra attacks. It's hard to save both AA completely, but it's pretty important to have at least one healthy one to deal with the Bomber, and preferably another with some HP to deal with the first B copter. If you let them alone, they'll wreck your Rockets and Arty. Lash's Rockets can be annoying; usually sitting 1 space out of range, so I usually use my COP to launch a surprise attack on it and eliminate it in one go. After I reached Lash's B Ships, I spammed my CO power. It charges constantly because B Ships are worth so much; they fill the gauge rapidly. Remember to attack the B Ships with your own Ships first; the gauge doesn't fill while your power is in effect, and your B Ships gain no benefit from your power. They should attack first and fill the gauge more before using the COP. I made sure to cause as many joins as possible to somewhat reduce the attacks needed to destroy the B Ships. After much movement and funds optimization, a 10 Day clear was mine!

fcastro

Postby fcastro » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Congrats on Sinking Feeling improvement, making money with md tanks is great idea. I'm very hurry to see your achievements in War Room now. About Sea Fortress, imo the easiest way is to wait D4 for using your SCOP, so that you can destroy all the cannons without fearing the anti-air and missles. Anyway you found your own way!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:59 am

Been a bit since I updated the campaign diary. The update has been delayed because I wanted to complete Danger x 9 first (watch for spoilers, castro!), and that turned out to be a fairly involved map. Fog of war is a big pain. I always feel like I'm cluelessly blundering about on the first few tries. Maintaining visibility is always a challenge; you have to think hard about balancing the strength of your units with your ability to spot enemy units. Recons give you a lot of vision, but little offense. However, nothing is worse than knowing exactly where an enemy unit is, but being unable to attack it with the right unit because you haven't spotted it in advance. The only real solution is to just play the map over and over until you pretty much know exactly what the AI's movements are, even if you can't see them. That way you can know with certainty how much visibility you can get away with and manage your unit purchases accordingly.

This map was especially challenging in that regard. The AI's movements seemed especially erratic, particularly the APC and the Artillery. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it either. You can't decoy an APC because it doesn't attack, after all =P. Hawke's got a lot of powerful units, and that chokepoint in the NE of the map is absolute hell. Have I mentioned before how much I -hate- mass damage CO powers? Black Storm was the bane of my existence on this map. On some maps, it's not so bad; Hawke doesn't produce enough expensive units that it becomes charged, or it's simply not a big threat. However, this map is filled with extremely expensive units. Hawke's power is going to be charged in time to alter the outcome of the map, and it's going to be sooner than later. Additionally, it's absolutely crippling on this map. Keeping your units at full health is absolutely vital, because the chokepoints only allow you to make one attack at a time. Making a few OHKOs is vital to completing quickly. Compounding this are the numerous woods tiles for the AI to hide in. Needless to say, taking damage makes those OHKOs that much harder, especially when the AI is in terrain. More than his Md Tanks, Rockets, or B Copters, that darn SCOP ended more attempts than any other cause.

Between learning the map, figuring out how to deal with the chokepoints, and figuring out how to deal with Hawke's power, it took some time to work through this mission. Compounding this was the opportunity to select COs. When I have the option to pick COs, I like to take the time to experiment with each and confirm which COs can clear it the fastest. Sometimes I am surprised by the results. Of course, I always try to get high scores too, which is challenging and requires a lot of thought.

As you might have read in the optimization thread, I had a really exciting time with this map. At first, it was extremely confusing and seemed prohibitively hard - those chokepoints took a lot of time to break through, and the Md Tanks were hard to deal with. After a lot of tries, I barely scraped out a 6 Day win with Eagle, who is probably the easiest CO to field on this map (his SCOP essentially gives him an extra turn, and is an amazing chokepoint buster). This reached par with the current optimization knowledge. However, in the interest of seeing how fast other COs could complete the map, I wanted to try the map with Jess, as well. Particularly, I wanted to see if she could match Eagle's score. As I played the map more, I kept learning more and more tricks to the map, and I was really excited to wrest out a 6 Day win for Jess, too! In the process of getting Jess to the optimization par, I learned even more new strategies that made the central chokepoint much more manageable. My build order got better, too. Recalling that Eagle was easier to play on this map, I was curious to see if the strategy optimizations I made for Jess would help Eagle clear the map more quickly. Sure enough, the optimizations lead to a 5 Day win with Eagle and a new high score! I was delighted. However, I yet again learned more optimizations in order to make that 5 Day win possible, and I thought, "Why not try Jess again? It's probably nuts, but...".

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Danger x 9 Strategy, 5 Days with Jess
What followed were many heartbreaking games where I ended up with a single 5 HP Arty or Infantry left alive. I solved the left side of the map by essentially sacrificing the B Ship. It's a useful unit, but it's more good to me dead than alive. It baits all the B Copters to attack it, allowing my Cruiser to remain undamaged and pick off 3 Copters over the course of the map (I left most of the air kills to it... it doesn't have anything else to do, lol). The AA destroys one Copter, then moves East to assist in destroying the central units. Later, I used Infantry to decoy the remaining Copters so the B Ship can make a few attacks at 2-4 HP or so. The central part of the map was solved by decoying the Rockets with a capturing Inf. I noticed that the Rockets moved South, so I drew their fire by capturing the Airport. This allowed my Md Tank, AA, and Recon to move in unharassed and clear out the central units. Later, I move up an Arty to attack the Rockets as well! Capturing Infantry has a really high AI kill priority, they are like transports in the first game =P. The hardest part of the map was the northeast area. I kept trying to solve that accursed NE chokepoint by throwing more and more units at it, and also trying to drive up through the chokepoint as quickly as possible, before it could be blocked off. Eventually, I had an epiphany. Even if I sent a bunch of units, I couldn't use them all effectively, because they either failed to destroy units blocking the chokepoint in a single attack or couldn't move far enough to lap around and double attack units at the far end of the chokepoint. It would be better if I just had a couple of extremely strong, minimally-damaged units that could oneshot anything in that chokepoint and bash through with OHKOs. I realized that an 8 HP Md Tank, with a boost from Jess' Overdrive SCOP, could OHKO anything in there. The problem being I couldn't reach the choke before Hawke inevitably used his Black Storm, so it was hard to maintain 8 HP. Both Md Tanks had to go effectively undamaged by battle, a daunting task given that the AI also has 2 Md Tanks in the area. The first was easy enough. It drives into range of a safe spot where I can put my Artillery, so I can attack with that and then finish it off undamaged with my own Md Tank. It was the second Md Tank that posed a problem, because I had no indirects in range to weaken it in advance. I had a bolt of thought where I realized I had an unnecessary Tank lying around. Using it to chip 2 HP off the AI Md tank allowed mine to survive it's counter with no damage, provided I attacked on a city! It took a long time to think about trying that, because it's such a counter-intuitive (and usually sub optimal) move. After HP, the other problem was distance. Md Tanks are slow. This was solved well enough by attacking far back and hiding my most mobile units in the woods. The AI typically advances until it is one tile beyond your attack range. So, I allowed the AI to come to me, then used Overdrive and surprised it by advancing further than normal. Both the Rockets and Inf were oneshotted by 100% attacks, clearing the chokepoint in a single turn!

Victory in hand, I took my 5 Day Jess win. I had a lot of fun playing this map. Every time I thought I had gotten as far as I could, I kept learning new strategies accidentally. The strategy kept evolving as I went back and forth between the characters. In the end, Eagle and Jess argue about who would make the best use of Neotanks, but they're still tied. Just don't call her a Dirty Red ;) (props if you get that joke).
Last edited by Blackbird on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:19 pm

You might be wondering why I opted to do Danger x 9 first, when it was one of the more complicated Green Earth maps to play thoroughly. Well, there is a method to my madness! I've been building towards something which shall revealed here, in Drake's Dilemma! This is a fairly interesting map. You start out as Drake with an enormous navy, but quickly find there are no ships to fight against. Instead, Hawke has you surrounded with Rockets, Artillery, and Black Cannons. The actual objective of the map is to destroy said Black Cannons, but the channel that leads to them is especially well guarded. Kanbei comes to help too, but he starts with no units and few cities. Considering the expense of his units, the map will be just about over by the time he deploys anything useful =P. Castro recently developed a strategy to clear this map in 6 Days, so my goal was to replicate that score. What's the best way to destroy those Black Cannons...?

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Drake's Dilemma Strategy
Looking at the map, attacking by sea seems to be the most obvious option. The B Ships can attack the Black Cannons from the channel or the southern sea area, provided they can survive the gauntlet. Getting one B Ship through the channel is the most optimistic - the northern ones won't reach the cannon in time to be helpful, and getting both southern B Ships through the gauntlet unharmed is difficult the Black Cannon covering the approach to the channel. I leave the two B Ships up North to pick off units for power later, rather than get them needlessly damaged. After clearing the gauntlet, attacking the right Black Cannon makes the most sense. It's in range of attack from the channel, so it can be destroyed quickly. Fortunately, I only need one B Ship to destroy the Black Cannon. It takes 2 Days if the B Ship is unharmed, or 3 Days if it has at least 6 HP. Fortunately, there is plenty of time for either. The southern B Ships account for the right cannon with this stategy, but what about the left? Assault by ground is impossible unless we cross the sea somehow; Rockets cannot fire across the channel. Thankfully, we've got a Lander to ferry some troops over, but it will also need to brave the gauntlet. Keeping our vital Lander and B Ship units alive will be tricky with so many Rockets and Arty guarding the straight. This is where the rest of our enormous, overcompensatory navy comes in. Hawke has no naval units, so the Subs and Cruisers are effectively useless and expendable. I saved a few Subs for spotting/visibility purposes, and everything else is used as decoys for my Lander and southern B Ships, allowing them to run the gauntlet (mostly) unharmed. The destruction of the left Cannon is where the Lander comes in handy. Taking a direct path to Drake's HQ area to pick up toops, it can drop off units near the left Cannon just in time to attack on Day 6. Despite Drake's limited property count, funds are not a problem. The other aspect of having an expendable navy is that you can join together the very expensive, valuable ships to gain a ludicrous amount of funds instantly. Are they plated with gold armor or something!? You would think they could at least put some B Copter-resistant armor on the Cruisers, given how expensive the floating matchstick boxes are. Sheesh. After the B Ships and Lander have safely passed the gauntlet, I joined my remaining Subs and Cruisers to raise cash for the landing party. I gained more than enough to buy a Neotank and Rocket to take out the remaining cannon. I can hear Sonja interjecting now: "But that's not tactically sound! You have more than enough firepower to destroy that Black Cannon with a simple Md Tank and Artillery! It's massive a waste of funds!" Is this much overkill really necessary!? M. Bison says "YES!" This was the moment I've been building for. We've got more than enough funds and an opportunity to successfully use the Neotank in an optimal strategy! Blow it to smithereens, I say! Release the Battle Cars of war from their pens and cry havok! Gwahahahaha!!! Ahem. Anyway, that leaves the Power score. That's not hard to obtain on this map. Just use a pair of Battleships and deploy a few Tanks from Drake's base. Use them to pick off inexpensive units like Artillery and Recons so that you don't charge Hawke's CO power very much. There are also a few tricky points, too. Hawke may charge his CO power by attacking your expensive navy. If he uses Black Wave early, it can damage Drake's infantry and delay the capture of a second base, hindering your ability to deploy needed landing forces/Recon destroyers. To avoid this, try to do little damage before your units clear the gauntlet, and then do a lot of damage afterwards to bump him a star or so past his CO power. Hawke will decide to save for his SCOP instead, but he'll never get the opportunity to use it if you play conservatively for the remainder of the map. Hawke also has the opportunity to fire a missile silo at you, potentially ruining your attempt to destroy the Cannons. I deploy a Tank from Kanbei's bases and park it on the silo to prevent this. Come to think of it, Kanbei actually was useful! His Infantry also bait the Recons into range of Drake's Tanks, too, and fire an early silo to delay Hawke's capture of the nearby base (averting potential increase of the Power threshold). Yeah, this mission was fun =). I did indeed get the 6 Day, 300 pt solution.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:51 am

With Drake's Dilemma cleared, I decided to take on To The Rescue next, before the harder challenges of Rain of Fire and Navy vs. Air. Castro had developed a 4 Day strategy for this map, so I was also curious about that. I'll just recap the solution briefly here, as I already dropped a lot of info about it in the optimization thread.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: To The Rescue Strategy
In order to destroy the far northwest Laser Cannon on Day 4, you must use Sami's Rockets. They come under threat from Adder's B Copters and a Tank, so decoying is needed to keep them alive and undamaged. Loading Sami's APC increases it's AI-kill priority, causing the B Copters to destroy it instead. You can destroy two Copters with your AA and Missiles after the first wave attacks. To decoy the remaining two copters, put your Missiles on a road tile. Between two indirect units of similar kill priority, the AI chooses to destroy the one with weaker defenses first. The Rockets attack the Laser Cannon from the woods, so the Missiles come under attack first. Finally, Mechs were used to block the northern chokepoint, preventing a Tank from driving through with a boost from Sidewinder. I put one Mech on the road to draw the Rocket's fire, so the Tank wouldn't destroy the Mech on the plains.

Meanwhile, Eagle accounts for destroying the remaining three Cannons and the power score. Getting both the NE and SE Cannons is fairly easy so long as you can charge Lightning Strike on or before Day 4. Destroying plenty of units for the power score is simple with Lightning Strike; just build an extra AA and wipe out Adder's air force of Bombers and Copters. Beware Adder's COP and SCOP; if Eagle triggers Adder's power too early, then the Rockets will certainly be destroyed by advancing B Copters. Careful timing is needed.

Of course, the best part of this map is the plot. Sami is trapped by overwhelming forces yet again. Some special forces commando you are, blundering into a trap in each and every country you visit =P. Adder demands her surrender, and Sami tells him to go f**k himself as a matter of course. Haha, wow. Sami, you're just too awesome. I was amused at the creative VOCABULARY OVERLORD they used in the dialog (gotta keep that "E" rating after all, since it's a "kids" series =P). Eagle gets to play the gallant knight and rides in to save her. Yay, romance!

Just three maps left in Green Earth, and five left overall. We're fast approaching the end of normal campaign. The solutions for Great Sea Battle and Rain of Fire are fairly well established, so I don't expect too many surprises there. That just leaves Navy vs Air. It's theoretically very improvable (by a margin of 3 Days, actually) but getting the AI to play nice seems nigh-impossible. I'll be content if I can at least figure out a decent solution for the remaining maps.

donnytondesterkste

Postby donnytondesterkste » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 am

Danger x9 NC and HC are my two favorite missions in the entire AW series. They're quick and brutal, and require lots of thinking without much AI exploitation. It's interesting that while Eagle is most people's first choice due to his "extra turn SCOP", Jess may actually be a better choice because her COP can charge multiple times over the course of the mission. I prefer her in HC due to the fact that she replenishes the ammo for your hidden rocket (available only in HC). I'd never thought of using the battleship as bait though, I will try that sometime. Usually I just build an extra AA to deal with the copters, and use the bship to hit the Md. Tanks as well as any units that may have moved to the eastern BH city to heal.

Your Drake's Dilemma strategy seems a bit off the mark. Destroying the cannons is usually no problem, even for novice players. It's getting a power score that's the real issue, since Hawke starts with around 50 units and builds more. This is especially an issue in HC, where Md. Tanks will reach you long before you can pick off cheap weak units.

I'm not sure what kind of time margin you want for Navy vs Air. It's possible that letting Hawke capture the airport on the big island would help you, as he may build air units from there instead of his HQ. In fact, the same may be true of letting him capture the central bases, which I've never actually allowed him to do.
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

ThunderWalker

Postby ThunderWalker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:39 am

donnyton wrote:I'm not sure what kind of time margin you want for Navy vs Air. It's possible that letting Hawke capture the airport on the big island would help you, as he may build air units from there instead of his HQ. In fact, the same may be true of letting him capture the central bases, which I've never actually allowed him to do.

Hawke does indeed, and mostly copters, so you can shoot them down each turn with one of your Cruisers, joining them if they reach 8 HP or lower, probably because of Black Storm or two Black Waves.
My sig is a void.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:48 am

Keep in mind that all the strategies listed in this thread are for the NC versions of the maps; I haven't had a chance to play HC yet =). Some spoilers below.

Danger x 9: Jess' day-to-day bonus with mechanical units also allows her Md Tanks to fight it out with Hawke's to a greater degree of success. She's definitely a solid pick on this map. I think the best units to bait the NW copters are your Recons and any Infantry you can deploy, but it is difficult getting these units in position rapidly enough to effectively decoy the copters. Obviously, you don't want your Recons completely wiped out, as then you can't see anything =P.

Drake's Dilemma: In the NC version of the map, Hawke starts with ~36 units if my memory doesn't fail me. I used the missile silo near Kanbei's bases to strike the area around the neutral bases, damaging Hawke's Infantry and delaying capture of the base by a turn. This was enough to prevent him from deploying enough additional units to push his unit count over 40 (increasing the Power "threshold") by the time I was ready to destroy the second cannon. Regarding the Recons, they reach me far earlier than the Md Tanks by virtue of having 8 movement on the roads. In NC, at least, I have more than enough time to eliminate them before any heavier units arrive. Getting the Power score on HC will certainly be harder, as Hawke already has 40+ units at the start =P.

Translucent Air

Postby Translucent Air » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:38 am

Blackbird's analysis for Drake's Dilemma is apt for a 6-day completion: as Drake has limited funds, the major goal becomes gathering up enough funding for a medium tank and rockets unit to destroy the western Black Cannon within the restrictive time frame. (I prefer fcastro's choice of medium tank over Blackbird's choice of Neotank, as Neotanks are not necessarily available to the player, as it was in fcastro's case since he did not complete Danger x 9.)

Concerning the difficulty of achieving the Power score, Drake's navy is more than sufficient to obtain the Power score as laid out in my sample 8-day walkthrough. It could be said that most regular players just didn't understand how Power was calculated and/or were unable to setup a proper destructive day. Even at 8 days, Hawke can be held to less than 40 units in the regular Campaign. (In fact, I was highly saddened to know fcastro rendered my 8-day walkthrough moot in terms of speed as that particular walkthrough virtually consistently achieved the Power aspect without any reliance on luck whatsoever.)

For me, I suppose I'd be interested in the methods Blackbird and fcastro used to provide the lander safe passage; in my cursory tests right after fcastro reported the record, I was unable to find a reliable method. I, however, didn't try particularly hard.

-Translucent Air

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:35 am

I believe it's dumb luck, unfortunately. I just throw a B Ship, Subs, and Cruisers at the gauntlet and hope that both Rockets don't decide to focus fire the Lander. More often than not, they do, but every so often they split their attacks, allowing the Lander to advance to the reef midway through the gauntlet, and then from there to safety. I've tried various methods to guarantee the Lander's safety, but haven't yet found a surefire way to decoy the Rocket's attacks. Maybe Castro's got a more reliable strategy?

Neotanks are totally unnecessary to complete the mission. You can achieve the same result with a Md Tank, I just opted for the Neotank for entertainment/overkill purposes. This is probably the only mission in the campaign where I could say I used a Neotank "effectively" =P.

fcastro

Postby fcastro » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:54 pm

I got some new HC scores, they seemed surprisingly easier in HC than in NC...
- Drake's Dilemma 6/300, there's a reliable way (I think in NC too, I didnt remember that AI could ignore lander), at D1 lander is hit by west rocket and at D2 he comes near east rocket, still under west rocket fire but a battleship had previously attacked it... Also, we need rocket instead of art to avoid woods anti-air, but wasnt it already the case in NC?
- To the Rescue 4/300, there are so much units to charge Eagle's SCOP :)
- Navy vs Air 8/300, HQ is so badly covered ^^ For 1st time HC is 2 days faster than NC, does it mean that NC needs to be more played???

However the next maps look harder :(

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:33 am

HC maps aren't necessarily harder than NC maps. Some of the HC changes make certain maps actually easier, in my opinion. HC Navy vs Air looks like one example of this, for several reasons. The approach to the HQ is much more forgiving on HC. NC usually involves an awkward drop right next to an enemy base, while you can comfortably approach from land in HC. The HQ on HC looks easier to defend during capture. A mountain protects it from vehicles on one side, so you probably only need shields for the north and west. The NC HQ is more exposed. Hawke appears to get fewer bases to deploy ground units on HC, too. It's unsurprising that this map can be completed more quickly.

fcastro

Postby fcastro » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:10 am

XD How do you know what the HC maps look like? You were supposed to be surprised by these scores :lol:
Yeah that was easy in fact...

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:54 am

Our handy Wars World resource page has the maps, of course ;). I forgot to mention it earlier, but I updated the thread with your scores, as well.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Volcano map is a burning thing
And it makes a fiery rain

Jess' Inf fell into Hawke's burning Rain of Fire
my HP went down down down
and my rage went higher

The Recon fire burns, burns, burns
In the Rain of Fire
the Rain of Fire

...ahem. Interpretive song for my play of Rain of Fire. Props if the tune is familiar to you ;)

Finally broke past my slump. I've been stuck on Rain of Fire and Navy vs Air. Since the optimal score for Rain of Fire is already established, I opted to go for that mission next. Rain of Fire looks like a fairly straightforward HQ rush map (because you don't have any predeployed units and Hawke has 3 bases). However, completing that 9 Day HQ rush is tougher than it looks. T. Air's guide once again helped me out, giving me a hint about the opening build order, and also how to tackle the major problem of this map. More about that in the spoiler. With a little insight from the guide, I was able to figure out the solution and get past this troublesome map. I enjoyed the nice reward of a unique victory screen, featuring the volcano in the background.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Rain of Fire Strategy
The rush distance is so long that it's hard to get a decent number of blockers for any capture attempt. T. Air pointed me in the right direction by suggesting mass Recons in his guide. However, I had a huge problem dealing with Hawke's Recon. It attacked any Infantry dropped near the HQ without fail. I even tried decoying it with capturing Infantry (normally a surefire diversion) and loaded APCs, and it still ignored them to attack my Inf, even on heavy defensive terrain. Eventually I figured out that I would need to block it somehow. I was able to find a good position to shield my Infantry's advance from Hawke's Recon with my APC and a Recon of my own. However, completely shielding the Inf as it captured the HQ would be impossible within 9 Days. You can get two units up to the HQ at best, and Hawke has many threatening units in the area. I hadn't noticed any obviously exploitable "holes" in Hawke's build order, either; additional units would be built and threaten my Infantry. Eventually, I realized that capturing Hawke's HQ would be impossible unless I changed Hawke's build order - I had to create the window of opportunity for capture myself. To this end, I used additional Recons to pick off Hawke's APC, while ignoring his Infantry. I knew that Hawke would surely rebuild it next turn, which prevented him from deploying any hostile units that turn. This left only one Recon in range of the HQ, which I literally walled in with my Recons and APC, being unable to place units near the HQ for fear of destruction. This gave me the window of opportunity I needed to seize the HQ. Huzzah!

fcastro

Postby fcastro » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Congrats, it's soon over now! Rain of Fire HC looked too boring so I skip'd it... And then I got Great Sea Battle HC 12/300. Eagle is used in main front to destroy factory, but the other partners arent really used... I took Max, and also Kanbei (who did nothing more than launching a silo). As other infos, Danger x9 7/300 is a rout by Eagle (at least), and Hot Pursuit 9/300 look to require Max as 2nd partner and Eagle as 3rd partner for destroying the 3 cannons. At first look 1st CO does nothing more than surviving Sturm's fury and so is blandie, however I guess that the best choice would be Grit as he can help Eagle to get his 5 kills... I'll confirm that later.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:08 am

A little stumped on Great Sea Battle (NC). It seems theoretically possible to clear it in 12 Days by using Eagle's Lightning Strike, but can it actually be charged in that time? Eagle needs to do a lot of killing/getting killed to get 9 stars, and Hawke's forces are really far away and tend to clump up in his corner of the map. Simple deployment is the biggest problem; I just can't seem to get enough units over there to fight Hawke's units quickly enough. The best I've gotten by Day 12 is 6 stars or so, still significantly short of what I need. Hmmm.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:07 am

Alright, all roadblocks cleared and the Green Earth Campaign is complete! All that remains is the endgame... the Black Hole Campaign! Only two maps left! I'll try to maintain enthusiasm until the end.

It's been a while since I posted in the diary, and that is because Great Sea Battle was extremely challenging to play. It's one of the most involved maps in the entire campaign, after monsters like Show Stopper. I'll get to that in a moment. Before Great Sea Battle was completed, I also finished Navy Vs Air, and although I posted the D2D in the optimization thread, I never posted commentary here. Without delay, here's the strategy:

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Navy vs Air Strategy
Examining the map, it quickly becomes obvious that HQ cap is the way to go. You begin with Cruisers, and although Drake's ships do a fine job of eliminating Hawke's B Copters, that still leaves his ground forces. It would take forever to deploy enough units by Lander to Rout Hawke's units. To make it even more obvious, we even start with a Lander and Infantry already deployed. HQ rush it is! However, landing your infantry is extremely tricky. Getting across the map is not hard, because the Cruisers can easily make a path for the Lander. The problem is the drop off point. The nearest beach is right next to one of Hawke's bases, and the AI always keeps it filled whenever possible. So you can only drop off one unit at a time. This makes decoying for the Infantry extremely challenging. Compounding this, Hawke generally has a ton of units waiting to attack this area, and Infantry have a very high kill priority. If you drop off, you usually get slaughtered. I found a solution to this in the same way I figured out how to solve Rain of Fire - by creating a window of opportunity in Hawke's build order. The AI has a strong inclination to re-deploy transport units as soon as they are destroyed, so if you destroy Hawke's T Copter on the same turn you land, Hawke will rebuild it instead of creating a unit in his bases. This prevents Hawke from interrupting your capture halfway. However, his existing unit, an Artillery, threatens the Infantry as it lands. The only way to solve this is by simply RNG abusing. The AI occasionally (rarely) decides to retreat indirect units instead of attacking with them. Dumb luck causes Artillery to flee rather than destroying your Infantry. Finally, Hawke's own Infantry are encouraged to move to the NW region of his base, out of harm's way, by a Tsunami on the same turn you destroy the T Copter. I don't know why this creates favorable movement, but I'll take it =P. With all the threats out of the way, your Infantry essentially walks in unopposed and captures the HQ in 7 Days. Getting Power is easy; just destroy a few Copters with AA and Cruisers. Superb!

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 am

Falling behind on the diary a bit because there is only one map left! For now, it's time for the delayed Great Sea Battle writeup. As I mentioned before, the AI movement is really erratic, so I'll focus on what I built and my general objectives, rather than specific directions. I chose Eagle, because I noticed he could finish the map in 13 Days by attacking the pipe seam with a Bomber. It follows, then, that you could complete the map a day sooner if you use Lightning Strike on Day 12. This is what I came up with while confirming that strategy.

It took a while to write this, because it is long =P.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Great Sea Battle Strategy
Getting the CO meter charged is very challenging on this map. Theoretically, we have plenty of funds, but getting your units in position to inflict or receive challenge is difficult given the size and terrain of the map. After a great deal of experimentation, I came to the conclusion that the best way to charge the gauge was to manipulate Hawke's build order until he created a Bomber. I engage this Bomber with Cruisers. "Eagle has terrible Cruisers!" you say. That's why they are ideal. In the process of attacking the Bomber, they inflict some damage, but also take a large amount of damage themselves. In one attack, they increase the CO meter significantly. Most of the strategy revolved around setting up this matchup, picking off stray expensive units, and getting my own Bomber across the map safely. Just keep that in mind as I start from the beginning.

As my plan was to build expensive units and sacrifice them to fill the gauge, I planned to capture as many cities as possible at the beginning of the map, allowing me to deploy many units later. We'll sacrifice a few units later to fill the gauge, so I need to deploy many units to make up the Tech score, too. To this end, I started with 2 Infantry and a T copter on Day 1 and 2. The Infantry immediately begin capturing the two nearest cities. The T Copters split up. One ferries an Infantry to the airport north of Eagle's starting position. The T Copter waits for the airport to be captured, then carries the same infantry to the small island to the NE. The Infantry captures the airport and port on that island as well, in that order. The other T copter goes back and forth, ferrying Infantry to the several cities NW of Eagle's bases, capturing all of them. I deploy another Infantry on Day 3 to go claim the silo.

Meanwhile, Sami deploys several Infantry, an APC, Artillery, and a Tank. The Infantry rush the two silos and capture the nearest neutral base. The Art and Tank destroy the northern Black Cannon (clearing the way for the island airport capture). Once Sami and Eagle's Infantry are in position, I fire three simultaneous missiles at Hawke's capturing infantry. I try to reduce the Infantry capturing the neutral base and the port to 1 HP, as well as another nearby Infantry. Hawke will join the two 1 HP infantry, but this has a beneficial effect on his build order, I believe, causing him to build a Bomber and Neotank instead of a Fighter and several Tanks. I try to avoid damaging the Fighter; it needs to damage some units and be damaged to build up the CO meter later. This missile attack also has the added advantage of greatly delaying the capture of additional bases, reducing the number of units that Hawke can deploy later. This makes the Power score attainable. Avoid damaging any other units to 1HP, as they may occupy cities or the NE airport, blocking the bomber's passage later. It's not an exaggeration to say that this missile strike sets up the proper events for the remainder of the map.

Once the northern airport is secured, I deploy a Bomber immediately. This Bomber is our designated pipe destroyer. It moves roughly N/NE as far as it can every turn. You can miss a few squares in the interest of destroying a juicy target, but not many. It needs to arrive at the seam more or less intact; it can take a point or two of damage from Hawke's COP and still oneshot the seam, but not more than that. Decoy Hawke's Fighter with a T Copter if needed. Along the way, I try to pick off as many high-priority targets as possible to fill the CO gauge. Typically I manage to destroy Hawke's Md Tank, an AA or two, and possibly a Neotank. On Day 11, do not advance onto or past the city north of Hawke's NW base; a Fighter is deployed from the factory on this day, and it will immediately destroy your Bomber if you move it too close. I believe it needs to be exactly 14 squares away from the seam (maximum movement range) to be safe, actually.

After the Bomber is deployed, I deploy a pair of Cruisers. Typically, I bait Hawke's Fighter into range of the first Cruiser with an expendable T Copter, just as it's leaving port. Typically I destroy or cripple the Fighter with the Cruisers, actually. Distance is a concern, try to move them as far as possible when you can. By the endgame, I typically have them positioned somewhere around the northern Black Cannon. These Cruisers are basically around to be decoys and fodder for Hawke's Bomber. Have them destroy B Copters if you get a chance; they are around to take hits. You'll probably have to use one to bait the Bomber and a second to attack it.

After the Cruisers are built, deploy B Copters first, and later, Fighters. If you deploy Fighters too early, they will scare off Hawke's B Copters. Use the air force to take hits and damage some units. On the Lightning Strike turn, use your B Copters and Fighters to destroy as many units as you can so that you can secure the Power score. 4 or 5 units should do it.

Sami's role is largely to fire silos and "aggro" Hawke's units. After the silos are launched, deploy units and use them to bait and decoy Hawke's forces into ideal positions for Eagle's units to destroy them. Try to keep Hawke's B Copters in the general area of the northern Black Cannon, where they can be easily destroyed by Eagle to fill his gauge or satisfy the Power requirement. She sends one Infantry to fire the silo to the SE of her HQ later.

Sensei does little. He saves up and sends two Landers and four Infantry over to the SE island. The first one passes by the island and drops infantry to claim the silo above the SE Black Cannon, as well. In combination with Sami's third silo, you can launch another three shots and lock down Hawke's remaining base, further limiting his deployment to his factory only. The last silo can be used to eliminate pesky units. Sometimes Hawke parks an AA on his city on Day 11, in which case, hitting it with a missile allows your Bomber to safely oneshot it without taking critical counter damage. Aside from that, Sensei tries to get ignored so that he doesn't hamper Eagle's attempts to charge his gauge.

Blackbird

Postby Blackbird » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:45 pm

The penultimate map! Sturm finally reveals his Vader-wannabe mug and throws down. Sturm was pretty nasty in the first game, but in AW2 he's unbelievably broken. All his units have 120/120 stats (AW1 Kanbei) for the standard deployment cost. Additionally, his units move at the same speed through any terrain. What a nightmare >_<. If he has a weakness, it is that he has no CO power, and his SCOP takes forever to charge. Plan well and you can end the map before his power ever comes into effect. Fortunately for me, this next map is in my favor, preventing Sturm's brokenness from playing to his advantage. One element I liked about this map is that Neotanks were absolutely crucial to the optimum solution. I joked about this before, but this time Neotanks really are genuinely useful on this map!

I can't really talk too much more about Hot Pursuit without spoiling it, so on to the strategy! I cleared in 9 Days with 300 points.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: Hot Pursuit Strategy
Looking at Hot Pursuit, a few things jump out at me. The first is that this map actually strongly favors the player - I might even say that Sturm is gimped on this map! The vast majority of his powerful forces are trapped and effectively useless. Nice strategy, there, Sturm, luring us to the most strategically advantageous position... FOR US. Sure, the numerous Black and Mini cannons are a pain, but those can be decoyed easily with a little planning. The second thing I noticed is that, with the majority of Sturm's forces trapped behind several pipe seams and numerous cannons, attaining the Power score will be difficult on this map. We simply don't have access to most of the units we'd like to destroy. This means the best option is to eliminate a portion of Sturm's navy on the same turn, as they are by far the most accessible enemy units. The third point is that the Black Cannons are behind all the trapped units and several pipe seams. An assault with direct units would take an inordinate amount of time, and would involve setting Sturm's considerable forces loose. Ordinary Rockets can't reach the cannons, either. Which brings us to point four. The best choice of main CO for this map is Grit, by a very wide margin. He's hands down the best CO to use, because his Rockets can actually reach the cannons. You can destroy them far more quickly than a direct assault, more safely, and in far less time. Additionally, Grit's indirects are also better equipped to destroy naval units than most ground based attackers. Grit's range advantage trivializes this map so much that I wonder if it was intended or not; it seems like it defeats the intent of the map.

Grit's role is simple: rush Rockets up to the Black Cannons and destroy them as soon as possible, while also deploying other indirects to sink 3 or more of Sturm's ships in a single turn. He pretty much pulls all the weight on this map. The secondary CO's are there to support that strategy. Their role is largely to deploy decoy units which prevent the Black Cannons from attacking Grit's Rockets. The support COs also help to destroy the intervening Minicannons, which block Grit from advancing freely. The Cannons target units by overall highest value first, which means Md Tanks are ideal. They cost just enough to draw the cannon's fire before the Rockets do. Neotanks can work as well, but you cannot produce as many of them. However, I noticed that a Neotank can draw a Minicannon shot and a Black Cannon shot (in that order) before the cannons revert to shooting Rockets. I used this as the basis for a new strategy. I first produce Md Tanks from the support COs, then Neotanks after that. This allows Grit's central Rockets to advance at the same time as the left and right ones. The left and right rockets have enough time to attack the minicannons that threaten them, destroying them in combination with a subsequent Md Tank attack. However, the Md Tanks cannot reach the central minicannon in time to protect an early Rocket advance. To this end, I use one Neotank to draw the central Minicannon's fire instead, sitting it just outside the range of the Black Cannons. The Black Cannons shoot first, before the minicannons, so I don't advance it too far, or else the Neotank will take too much damage and won't draw the Minicannon's fire. The remaining shots are drawn by the inital two Md Tanks and the other Neotank. The second Neotank is necessary because the CO on the right is further away. A Md Tank cannot move far enough to decoy a shot in time; the Neotank's mobility is necessary. I advance the 7HP Neotank on the next turn, where it critically still has enough value to protect the Rockets from a Black Cannon shot. By this time, my second wave of Md Tanks arrive, and I am able to sustain my decoying efforts long enough to keep reinforcements coming.

After the opening turns, I have Grit deploy a B Copter, followed by Rockets on the right and left sides of the map. I position these Rockets near Sturm's naval forces. I use the 5HP Neotank to weaken a cruiser on the right side of the map, and use a 5HP Md Tank to weaken the cruiser on the left. When my Md Tanks reach 5 HP, I join them to create a full HP Md Tank again, allowing them to decoy another shot. Finally, at the end of the map, I deploy a Sub and bait both Cruisers into range of my Rockets with a B Copter on the left and any air unit in the right CO's airport. I protect the Sub and Grit's Rockets from Sturm's B Ship with a loaded APC. Sturm's Sub attacks mine, taking some retaliation damage, and his damaged Cruisers attack my air units, putting three weakened ships in perfect position for Grit to finish them off with one shot apiece from Rockets. That's how you get it done!

This leaves only the final map! Here goes nothing!

JSlayerXero

Postby JSlayerXero » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 am

Say, after this, Hard Campaign Diary? Maybe? That'd be awesome. Also, Bomber Spam might work, I saw this one guy do it and he won in 15-18 days. C Rank though.

Xen

Postby Xen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:31 pm

The duder hasn't posted in about a year. I think it is safe to say that he's forgotten about it :P

Crystal Guard 292

Postby Crystal Guard 292 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:15 pm

It was still a fun read though. =)
"It's game storage...THAT'LL TOTALLY PUNCH YOUR BALLS OFF! EXTREEEEEME!" -Airrider
"Well, he lives in Aussie land, where up is down and hamburgers eat people." -Familyguyman
"I'll get to it tomorrow." -Heropsychodreamer01

JSlayerXero

Postby JSlayerXero » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:51 am

Yes it was. Sadly, he never got to the final mission =(

Return to “Advance Wars 1 & 2 General”