AW2 Campaign Diary (Normal Campaign)

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Blackbird

AW2 Campaign Diary (Normal Campaign)

Post by Blackbird » Sun May 09, 2010 7:40 am

Why Normal Campaign? It's needed to unlock Hard Campaign, of course ;). This will basically be a "Let's Play" as they call them on YouTube. I play the campaign and talk about it. I'll have my usual emphasis on trying to win fast and with perfect scores, though. Feel free to interject if you have a better solution to a map.

Starting off on M1: Cleanup... well, it's the tutorial map. 4 Day Rout, 300 pts, nothing to see here. Moving right along =P. Andy's obliviousness is amusing. "Hey Nell? How do you move a unit? Could you help me tie my shoes?" I don't think it can be Routed faster, due to travel time.

Next is M2: Border Skirmish. Pretty straightforward, introducing some new units and upping the scale a bit. Sami is my favorite character; I love playing as her because she's so good at HQ Rush (and she's cute >_>...). I'm still getting used to the new metagame. One thing I immediately noticed is that the AI has a much higher attack priority against Infantry now; gone are the days where it has a must-die vendetta against transport units. So I had to figure out how to bait Flak's Tank away from disrupting the HQ capture attempt. Putting the Arty unit on the bridge worked well enough, allowing me to HQ Capture in 4 Days, 300 pts. The initial tank was destroyed by my Mech and Tank for the Power score; you only need to destroy one unit. I retreated damaged units to avoid losing Tech.

I think one more for today, the starting maps are fast and easy. M3, Orange Dawn. Typical Max map; you get a bunch of Tanks, but you don't get to use them as effectively as you would like because there is a chokepoint and a sea in the way. I experimented with this map for a good chunk of time, actually. It is possible to win by Rout or by HQ Capture; either solution results in a 4 Day, 300 pt result. For the HQ Cap method, the AI must move all it's units away from it's HQ on it's first turn, and then you carefully arrange your Choppers in a wall, preventing Flak from attacking your Infantry or blocking his HQ. For the Rout method, I instead moved my Arty west, adjacent to the narrow sea, then used the T Copter to bait Tanks into it's feeble range. Meanwhile, the B-Copters chipped away at Flak's Md Tanks, attacking them on Roads whenever possible. My Tanks circled around and did some damage; I used Max's Md Tank to oneshot some Infantry and a Tank on the Roads. Basically, just try to utilize all the units you have to the fullest extent and attack AI units on poor defensive terrain, and you should be able to Rout in 4 Days.

I lol'd when Flak called Max a gorilla; Flak is right on the money. Flak reminds me of the TF2 Engineer and Soldier mashed together. "Tank's sappin' mah captures!" Role wise, he seems to be the endearing(?) munghead of this game. Sort of like DoR's "The Beast"; a big, stupid dude with a singleminded desire to smash things, so he ends up being kind of comical.

-STL-

Re: AW2 Campaign Diary (Normal Campaign)

Post by -STL- » Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 am

That´s interessting to read. Keep it up!

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 am

Today I tackled M4: Flak Attack first. The exposition cracks me up; even Flak gets drafted into the tutorial. "It's a Bomber! It bombs! Not rocket science! Now go smash some stuff!"

Urged on by STL, I attempted a few different methods for a 2 Day Rout. It's possible, but tedious enough that I just went with the easy 3 Day Rout, rather than waste a few hours trying to get the needed luck. I still get 300 pts easily. I did confirm that you unlock Test of Time automatically, so that at least frees up the Mech to do whatever.

Here's the conclusion I came to for the 2 Day Rout, maybe your strategy is a lot better:

Bait Fighter into range of Missiles with T Copter on Day 1.
Bait Bombers and all but 1 B Copter into range by dropping your Inf in the woods.
Destroy 1 B Copter with AA.

On Day 2:
Destroy Tank with Mech, then Rockets.
Destroy Fighter with Missiles (90%).
Destroy 2 B Copters with AAs.
Destroy 2 Bombers with AAs (90%).
Use Max's SCOP.
Destroy B Copter with 1 of your B copters.
Destroy the enemy Inf in woods with your other B Copter.

That requires 3 10% luck rolls, and a few more in the low 90s against the B copter and Inf. A real pain. Dunno if it's easier than trying to get Flak to suicide...

After that is M5, Lash Out. Lash calls Nell a grandma! Bahahaha! It's a good thing Lash didn't get caught, or something terrible might have happened...! Anyway, we get Rambo, I mean, Sami, again, and the map is nicely set up for another HQ rush. Don't mind if I do. Getting a 4 Day HQ Capture is easy enough. You can nicely block the AA from attacking your capturing Inf by blocking the bridge with your T Copter. The enemy Infantry won't retreat, but instead attack the Copter, so the AA cannot cross. If this were AW1, I'd take that and call it a day. However, this is Sparta- I mean, AW2, and Sami's got a mean SCOP. We also have a number of extremely expensive naval units nearby that would charge the CO meter very quickly if they were damaged... After a controlled suicide of my navy, we instead Victory March our way to a glorious 3 Day HQ cap! The only unit actually lost was my BShip... the Cruiser and Sub remained alive at 1 HP, so Tech wasn't an issue. There's irony there somewhere that destroying your own units is an optimal strategy. Whenever I use Victory March, I always imagine my Infantry units to be like action movie stars... running into the enemy city with headbands on, heavy calibur machine guns blazing in each hand, and the enemy is completely incapable of hitting them, no matter how many bullets they fire, etc. With our navy sunk, though, we do lose our easiest opportunities to get the Power score. I used my Lander to ferry my Tanks over to kill the Rockets, and destroyed the enemy Cruiser with an attack from my 4 HP BShip and my Rockets. 300 pts in 3 Days.

Finally, M6, Andy's Time. "Nell! Where are all my units!" "I don't know Andy, you never clean your room so I can't find anything in there! Did you check your toy chest!?" Also, lol at "cannon" innuendo. I spent a fair amount of time experimenting with this map, too. Regrettably, you can't win by Rout, otherwise this map would be laughable. You must destroy the Black Cannon. I experimented with using Neotanks and other high end units, but they are all too expensive to deploy. Any mobility advantage the Neotank has is negated because it takes too many turns to deploy. It turns out the best way is the most economical way; Arty is cheap enough to be deployed on the first turn and does good damage for the cost. You just slow ride a single Arty up to take out the Cannon, while your T Copter carries an Inf to capture the Base nearest to the Cannon. You can deploy Rockets from that base just in time to coincide with the arrival of your Arty. Their combined fire is just enough to destroy the Black Cannon on Day 7. Any other units are too expensive, too weak, or too slow to arrive in time. The Arty must arrive unharmed, though, or else it will fall just short of destroying the Cannon. The enemy Inf tries to attack your Arty, too. Therefore, I carefully baited enemy Inf away from the Arty's course with my T Copter, and weakened another Inf with a Recon so that it didn't do damage. This was the trickiest part of the map, but still not too bad. The AI doesn't deploy any threatening units, so Tech isn't a problem. You only need to destroy 1 unit for Power, too, so I just picked off an Inf or two with Recons. 300 pts in 7 Days.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Mon May 10, 2010 5:22 am

Blackbird wrote:Today I tackled M4: Flak Attack first. The exposition cracks me up; even Flak gets drafted into the tutorial. "It's a Bomber! It bombs! Not rocket science! Now go smash some stuff!"

Urged on by STL, I attempted a few different methods for a 2 Day Rout. It's possible, but tedious enough that I just went with the easy 3 Day Rout, rather than waste a few hours trying to get the needed luck. I still get 300 pts easily. I did confirm that you unlock Test of Time automatically, so that at least frees up the Mech to do whatever.

Here's the conclusion I came to for the 2 Day Rout, maybe your strategy is a lot better:

Bait Fighter into range of Missiles with T Copter on Day 1.
Bait Bombers and all but 1 B Copter into range by dropping your Inf in the woods.
Destroy 1 B Copter with AA.

On Day 2:
Destroy Tank with Mech, then Rockets.
Destroy Fighter with Missiles (90%).
Destroy 2 B Copters with AAs.
Destroy 2 Bombers with AAs (90%).
Use Max's SCOP.
Destroy B Copter with 1 of your B copters.
Destroy the enemy Inf in woods with your other B Copter.

That requires 3 10% luck rolls, and a few more in the low 90s against the B copter and Inf. A real pain. Dunno if it's easier than trying to get Flak to suicide...
90% OHKOs are impossible in this game without extra luck. 10% luck in AW1/2/DS means 10 different luckoutcome -> +0-9%
U will need Max´s COP to OHKO Bombers and Fighter(91%!) with AAs. B-Cop on B-Cop is also 91% but you can take the Inf for help.
3 HP Tank (attacked by 1HP B-Cop and Mech) and 3/4 Hp Inf (attacked by Rockets) must suicide in the Mech. I saw the Tank suicide already but i don´t know if the Inf even would attack, while it is not unlikely.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon May 10, 2010 7:25 am

Ah, good to know. Sounds like the earlier games work differently from DoR in that regard. I'm glad I didn't waste time trying to get 90% KOs =P.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Mon May 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Blackbird wrote:There's irony there somewhere that destroying your own units is an optimal strategy.
Yeah it's always the case in AWDS where we play as much as possible with Sami's SCOP. In AW2 it's more balanced as her SCOP is in fact rarely used.
We are now around the same point in NC, and I cant play atm. So can you please avoid spoiling too much? XD
For instance you could post just general strats, or wait a bit before posting... Or make a training run before playing max scores for serious =p. I know I can also just not reading but it will be hard...

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon May 10, 2010 9:31 pm

fidel, just don't read XD

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue May 11, 2010 4:42 am

Ah, sorry about that, fcastro. I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes... I assumed anyone reading the topic would expect campaign spoilers. After all, there's not really a lot for me to talk about if I don't discuss the strategy =P. I guess I can always spoiler tag the more, er, spoilerish discussion.

Moving on to M7: Test of Time, the first FoW map in NC. I didn't find the map itself to be difficult. However, getting the fastest solution to the map was fairly challenging. Scored 300 pts in 3 Days.
Spoiler: show
The most obvious 3 Day solution to this map looks like HQ capture; using the APC, our Mech can reach the HQ on Day 2. However, I believe this strategy is actually impossible; a Rocket hidden near the HQ will inevitably destroy our Mech (or at least ruin the Capture). None of our other units can arrive in time to decoy the Rockets, either. We do have plenty of strong units, though, so instead I attempted to Rout the enemy, and found that, with careful attack management and good foresight, you can Rout in 3 Days. The biggest point I can offer is that you should try to reveal the hidden Arty and Rockets in the North and East of the map as soon as possible, as they are on defensive terrain and will require at least two attacks to destroy. You need to spot them early or you won't be able to destroy them quickly enough. Other than that, try to OHKO a few units, and attack units on weak terrain whenever possible. Getting to the Rockets was challenging. I cleared the long bridge quickly by OHKOing the Inf so I could rush my APC + Mech over to the Rockets as soon as possible.
Finally, it is time to M8: Liberate Orange Star. FREEEDOMM!! I found this map extremely easy. The only tricky part is the Power score; destroying the seam this early leaves very little funds remaining for other units. Nell comments that morale would have dropped to dangerous levels if the battle had dragged on... but I was totally owning Black Holes forces on every map! Well, except for that one time I sacrificed the Navy to complete a map faster, and how I constantly view my Infantry as expendable meatshields, and... ok. So morale was low. Good thing I cleared the map fast =P. Scored 300 pts in 6 Days.
The objective of this map is to destroy the pipe seam as soon as possible. I experimented a bit to see what the best way to accomplish this was. There is a lot of terrain imposing between our initial Bases and the pipe seam, slowing down any attempt to destroy the seam with Artillery, but the central airport is easily captured. This means that a Bomber is ideal for attacking the seam in this case; it reaches the Seam faster than any cheap ground units that could be deployed on Turn 1, and it does more damage than expensive ground units that would be deployed at the same time but would have to travel further. This in mind, Max is the best CO for this map. Sami's mobility advantage doesn't help her reach the airport any sooner, and Max's bomber can oneshot the seam. Including the cost of an APC to get to the airport ASAP and purchasing the Bomber as soon as it becomes available, this leaves us with 3k left to get the Power score with. A Mech isn't one-shotting anything, so... go Infantry! But how am I going to get the Power score with just Infantry!? That implies killing Flak's Infantry, and they're all way off in the NW corner of the map! I carefully chain carry Inf with my APC, then bait a newly created enemy Mech on Day 5 (which moves to attack me on the same turn, thanks Factory!) into position for my 3 Inf to destroy it on Day 6. Thankfully, I only needed to destroy that one unit for the full Power score, and I can finish on the same day, using Max's Bomber to instagib the pipe. I don't think I had a single move to waste =P!
With Orange Star cleared, the Blue Moon and Yellow Comet campaigns open up! Which should I go to first? Kanbei still can't find his socks, lol.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 am

Thanks! It's perfect that way.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue May 11, 2010 5:04 am

Actually, you can use a Mech to get the power score on Liberation. Yes, it can't one-shot anything... but remember, you also have the infantry that captures the airport. Together, they can destroy a recon if it's on the bridge.

As for what to do next, it's more useful to have Yellow Comet available for Blue Moon's factory mission than vice-versa. This isn't as important in NC as it is in HC, though.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 am

Yeah i used an Mech for Power on Liberation too, you can kill the Mech with Mech and Inf easyly.

Indeed Yellow´s Final Mission is very easy. Sensei can finish it in 8 days with anyone, but with Sami it also requires less (or even no) luck^^
On Blue´s Final Mission though it´s nice when the predeployed units from the helping army have 130/130 stats hehe.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue May 11, 2010 10:59 am

You make a compelling argument =P. I think I'll go for Yellow Comet next, then. I did some preliminary experimentation on the initial 3 maps:
Silo Scramble looks like a HQ cap mission. I tried various ideas, (Kanbei will deploy a mountain of Recons!) but I don't think Rout will be faster than 10 Days. Flak's bases are easy to block, but Kanbei can't get enough units over there fast enough to finish him off in a timely manner, even with silos to help. The Infantry tend to run away from my Recons, into the NW cities. Sensei's Return looks like a similar situation. Not enough starting resources/units to Rout as quickly as you could capture the HQ. Adder's got a lot of bases to spam from, too. Protecting the Infantry will be difficult though, with the bases so close... hmmm. Finally, there's Show Stopper. Man, what a mess. Adder's got a ton of units. Even if you sneak a Lander around to try to capture the HQ, Adder's got a ton of units waiting in reserve, seemingly just to protect his HQ. Any landing force is pounced on by 2 B Copters and a Bomber, and if you survive that, there is a Rocket sitting on the HQ. Compensating much, Adder =P? I don't know if it would be faster to bait Adder's air force into a naval battle or to just Rout him and take out the minicannons. This campaign is definitely a step up in difficulty. Thoughts?

Edit: Looks like I can cap the HQ in Show Stopper in about 15 Days with some luck. This was with a naval route; a direct route across land with an APC would be faster, but I'm operating under the assumption that such a venture is suicide. Now to see if I can Rout faster...

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue May 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I think Translucent Air has a strategy for a 16-day HQ capture on Show Stopper that also takes the lab map.

Also, it's not HQ-or-rout on that map; it's HQ-or-cannons. If you destroy all of Adder's units, the map won't end.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue May 11, 2010 3:43 pm

You have to rout most of Adder's army to get to the cannons anyway, what with the Zerg rush and all. Do you need to capture the map property? In the Orange Star campaign, you could totally ignore the property and still unlock the mission. HQ cap is looking like it will be faster. Tried the cannons earlier, and found it took me the better part of 15 Days just to clear out Adder's initial attack.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue May 11, 2010 4:57 pm

The map on Flak Attack is the exception, not the rule. You have to capture the city to get the map on all other relevant missions.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Tue May 11, 2010 7:52 pm

I do have a published 16-day walkthrough for Show Stopper as Dragon Fogel has noted; however, I've refrained from linking my guide lest I spoil the novelty.

As for the lab map on Flak Attack, the game automatically awards the player the Orange Star lab map in the regular Campaign so that less diligent/attentive players will still be able to use Neotanks on their first playthrough with at least one army.

-Translucent Air

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed May 12, 2010 2:21 am

Good to know. I guess that makes sense, plotwise. Sami was actively looking for the map, but the other nations have no clue that they're around. That adds an extra layer of complexity to Show Stopper, though >_<.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu May 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Time to move forward on the Yellow Comet Campaign! I'll start with some nice easy maps, since Show Stopper is kind of a monster =P.

Silo Scramble's simple enough. I'm sure those silos Sonja installed could never be used against us... oh wait, anyone can walk up and fire them!? Maybe next time, we'll install some passwords so that our own rockets can't be fired at us =P. Kanbei's units are awesome (30% defense? Nuts!) but expensive. I played carefully to avoid taking too much damage from rockets, as you really can't afford to waste the few units you can deploy. It's interesting how much Kanbei changed in this game. In AW1, he was portrayed as being a lot more ignorant, and to an extent, a villain. In this game, he's portrayed as a much more noble, samurai-like character. They also played up his overprotective-father angle more.
I experimented a lot with this map, and found that Kanbei simply can't deploy enough units quickly enough to Rout Flak in a timely manner, even with the help of a few silos. Even getting to the central Silos is expensive; an APC speeds things up, but costs 6k! Thus it became more of a HQ rush sort of map, with a skeletal force of Recons sent over to get a few kills for the Power score. Conveniently, Flak's only Tank almost always moves North, removing one obstacle to the HQ cap. The second obstacle is the Artillery Flak builds; if you don't destroy it, it'll move and block his HQ, but if you decoy it and keep it in place, it can attack the HQ (ruining a capture attempt). I saved two silos for this purpose; weakening the Artillery so it could be destroyed by a Recon, allowing my Inf to capture without contest. In the end, I won by HQ Capture in 10 Days, with 300 pts.
Next is Sensei's Return. I love Sensei; he's probably my favorite newcomer in this game. I like his theme a lot. It has a sort of vintage ballroom/swing feel to it. Very classy. Regarding CO abilities, the guy is a monster. Lets check them off. First, he's got insanely powerful infantry. Capture phase? Sensei's got you covered. Second, he's got copters that oneshot weaker units on roads... AW1 Max style! So he's got offensive power, too. His CO powers are nuts. In Campaign mode you can't abuse it quite as badly (you're penalized for losing units), but you can still join units to create wealth. Oh, and his copters become instagibbing roflcopters. As if this weren't enough, he also gets increased transport speed. Total ownage all around; Sami's got big competition! (at least she's still got something going for her with 50% capture bonus and Victory March)
Given that Adder has more bases than you and plenty of funds, a fast Rout seems unrealistic. I quickly figured out that you could HQ rush this mission by walling with Copters and some extra Infantry. Those woods near Adder's HQ are really convenient. It took me some time to figure out how to get the Power score, though. I ended up not using any B Copters at all because there weren't enough funds (but they're so awesome)! How depressing. Thankfully, I only needed to destroy one unit for full points on Power! Once I figured out that, I HQ Captured for a 7 Day, 300 pt win.
Last edited by Blackbird on Fri May 14, 2010 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu May 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Your second spoiler was showing. I took care of it for you, but you might want to watch out for that in the future.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Fri May 14, 2010 3:15 am

Ah, thanks for that. My internet connection was freaking out last night. I didn't realize I had even posted it successfully; usually I check my posts afterward.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun May 16, 2010 3:51 pm

I unlocked more maps, so that means I can procrastinate on Show Stopper longer! Yahoo! Updates are going a bit slower. The maps themselves aren't too difficult (although they're definitely harder than the Orange Star ones) but I feel like the majority of these maps have a much less defined endpoint. In the OS Campaign, you could quickly determine how fast most maps could be completed; they had an obvious, finite "fastest time to completion". In the Yellow Comet Campaign, I feel like the fastest time was a lot more vague, so I've been replaying the maps several times until I feel like I can't cut any more turns off. There are maps like "A Mirror Darkly" and "Duty & Honor" where the fastest time is simply "How fast can you Rout this?" and it depends a lot on your abilities.

I experimented a lot with Foul Play, coming within a single movement tile of a 5 Day clear before realizing that I didn't have the resources to get that last tile of movement. Argh! It's still a fun map though; you start off with tons of great units to smash Adder with. Adder's a bit of a pain, though. Pretty much every time you attack him with any force, he charges his CO power. It's annoying to constantly keep track of his power, and if he's going to move any extra squares next turn. Especially because I like blowing up his units so much, it's hard to restrain myself =P. Sensei is awesome, I love how intimidating he is portrayed. Thinking about it, I really like how egalitarian Advance Wars is. Young, old, male or female, everyone is equally capable as a CO. I ended up clearing the minicannons in 6 Days, with 300 pts.
The objective of this map is to destroy the minicannons. Adder's got a huge pile of units blocking any ground-based attack, so the best way to clear them is to advance your Bombers as quickly as possible. I used a Md Tank, a couple Arty, and even a B Copter. I exploited the AI's weakness against chokepoints; using a single Tank to block an enormous army of Adder's units to the NE of my HQ. This map is obviously designed to show off the strength of Sensei as a CO; you can his CO power to amazing effect! One Bomber and 2 B Copters remained behind to destroy Adder's units in the SE of the map. This charged Sensei's CO power, allowing me to quickly deploy Inf in the NE corner of the map. I used the silos to weaken the Missiles lurking near the minicannons. I turned out to be unneeded, but sometimes it can be a threat to your Bombers. The Bombers destroyed the minicannons over turns 5 and 6; 2 attacks are needed for each cannon (95% damage? Can i get a Luck roll on these cannons please? *grumble grumble*). I took some damage from the cannons in order to avoid a stray AA unit Adder produced, but the Bombers only need to do 5% damage on the second attack. Meanwhile, I protected my HQ from being overrun on the left flank with Md Tanks and Arty.
Next was a Mirror Darkly. This mission dragged a bit; it's fairly obvious what you need to do, and if you don't take risks, the AI can do very little to threaten you. The AI has a ton of units though, so it takes a long time to Rout. You just sort of pound away at them. I like Sonja a lot better in this game; or rather, I should say, she got a lot better. The bad luck doesn't seem to be quite as bad, and she has improved counters now to make up for that a bit. It also helps that the campaign puts her in missions where her increased vision range is extremely useful. I actually enjoyed playing as her for once. I again exploited the AI's weakness against chokepoints to stop Lash cold, making her units fish in a barrel. This let me clear relatively quickly, in 7 Days, with 300 pts. This may be the first significant score of the run; STL had 8 Days as his previous best, and he's damn good at this game =P!
The objective of this map is to Rout Lash. The key to finishing quickly, then, is to create as many opportunities as possible for all of your powerful indirect units to attack. I made sure to attack against poor defensive terrain like roads or plains when possible, and also to destroy each unit in as few attacks as possible (generally 2 attacks, possibly 3 for the Neotanks). The positioning of your units is important, too. Lash will not advance into the range of an indirect unit she can see (any unit not in woods). However, by hiding some of my Rockets in woods tiles, I was able to get her to advance her Rockets into the range of mine, meaning I could destroy them in far less time (rather than wasting Days later on hunting them down with my Tanks). I chokepointed Lash on the roads, allowing my Rockets to attack continually without repositioning. I accomplished this by exploiting the AI; the AI rarely retreats it's units. By damaging an AA, I was able to block the right branch of the path with a single tank. I used my remaining two tanks to block the left path in a similar manner. The only setup needed for this block is that Lash must not move her Arty to target the left chokepoint. To ensure that this movement didn't happen, I used a Rocket to cover that tile (again, because Lash will not leave an indirect unit in range of my visible indirect units). This chokepoint strategy also had a significant advantage in that my Tanks were moved far forward, and could assist in the "mop up" once the worst of Lash's units were destroyed.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun May 16, 2010 5:42 pm

For A Mirror Darkly, 7 days is actually pretty much par for the course for hardened players. Some of the scores that -STL- posted to Video Game Records were likely simply the best scores he received on his way towards Hard Campaign and not necessarily the best overall (e.g. his Great Sea Battle time is a bit little slow). It was reported that 6 days was possible for A Mirror Darkly several years ago, so that might be something to try on your next time through unless you haven't already saved the score.

It's actually pretty likely that all the optimal times for the regular Campaign are known; -STL- only improved upon two times when he obtained his copy recently (though one was definitely by a fair amount). You can find a number of the times if you simply look through some of the prior topics on the first page. I'd be happy to list them all, but I don't know whether you'd prefer the mystery on your first go around.

-Translucent Air

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 am

Cool! I'll have to work a bit harder next time. By all means, if you have some faster scores, please point them out so I can add them to the optimal completion thread. I actually like knowing what the fastest time is. How do I describe it... once you know something is possible, then it becomes fun to try to figure out how it was accomplished. I'll probably look through a few more topics, too.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun May 23, 2010 7:35 pm

I was a little confused by your comments about your attempt to complete Foul Play in 5 days, so I went back and experimented a bit myself.

I ended up finding that, since Sensei's land (and sea) units suffer in offense, he simply couldn't get the heavy air units over in time for a 5 day completion. Normally, an artillery and medium tank/rockets pair is enough to destroy a pipe seam in two attacks (45+55 > 99), but Sensei requires three. (This lack of naval/land offense was probably one of the main reasons I didn't consider him a contender for The Hunt's End so long ago.)

By throwing the initial tank at the westernmost minicannon early on (before Adder jams the route), I reduced the number of required aerial attacks from six to five. However, in the end, due to the limited space and layout, I found that I could only bring 4 out of 5 required air units into relevant positions for a 5-day completion. It also looked like it would be difficult to destroy enough units for Power, as well. Despite the restrictive layout, Sensei's abilities just don't buy you an advantage here due to the vast amounts of Black Hole structures (neither soldiers nor battle copters do appreciable damage to them).

-Translucent Air

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 am

Yeah, that was the same conclusion I ended up coming to, TA. It's depressingly close =(.

I'm still stuck on Show Stopper, but in the meantime, I completed Duty & Honor. Finally, Kanbei on predeployed! Surely I'll be overpowered now! Well, there are some laser cannons in the way, but what can you do. I found the most challenging part of this map was actually persuading Adder to advance his units (into his grave, mwahahhaha!). Often, his indirects get bogged down or spooked, and end up retreating or lagging behind in the woods. This wastes turns unnecessarily as you chase them down. The key is getting them to advance so you can clear in a timely manner. I experimented with a few different ideas, then settled on a 10 Day, 300 pt strategy. Maybe it could be done sooner if you could get the indirects to play nicely with your Mechs. No ideas there.
The opener of this map seems to be about optimizing your movement; getting your Md Tanks over to the NE cities as fast as possible. I sent a minimum of troops to the SE to rout the units behind the mountains, and sent the rest up the NE road. I destroyed the north laser cannon with several Mech attacks and an Arty attack (taking some laser fire in the process). I also used a Mech to bait the Tank into a favorable position, allowing my Md Tank to destroy it while maintaining maximum advancement. To break through Adder's wall of tanks in the NE, I baited the Md Tank away from the chokepoint, so that my Md Tanks could advance and begin oneshotting Adder's Tanks. After he uses his CO Power, I activated mine so that I could continue to oneshot his Tanks on roads and plains. I continued advancing my Rockets, but made sure not to threaten squares that Adder would advance his Arty to. I needed them to advance close enough for my Md Tanks to destroy them. After that, it was mostly mop-up. A Md Tank and a few Mechs chased down the Rockets (which like to camp in the woods) while the rest of the forces advanced to clear out the APC and Infantry. Rockets and Arty sped up the process of eliminating the Infantry and Mechs.
Edit: Yahoo! Cleared Show Stopper! I had trouble getting your D2D to work initially, TA, but then I realized that getting that Bomber to 2 HP early on is a -lot- more important than I thought. It sets up the proper AI movements for the entire sequence afterwards because it triggers Adder's CO power early. Took me a bit to figure that out because it's difficult getting the luck to damage the Bomber that much. After that hurdle everything else worked almost flawlessly, and I was able to easily figure out any problems. Really cool strategy! I doubt I could do any better.

I'll let you take credit for this one so I can get on to the fun maps ;)

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Fri May 28, 2010 11:22 am

Having fun playing through the final Yellow Comet maps, but I am stumped yet again. I can manage 9 Days and 12 Days for Hunt's End and Sea of Hope, respectively, but that still falls short of the current fastest times.

If you're bored, hint me: Can Hunt's End be completed in 8 Days with a Yellow Comet CO, or is a Blue Moon CO necessary for this time?

Sea of Hope is challenging in that there's a lot going on that requires precise timing. You need to manage CO powers really well.

Edit: I spoke too soon! I figured out how to bust the pipe in 8 Days. It was a much different strategy than I originally imagined. Now I just need to figure out the Power score, lol. Still stumped on Sea of Hope, though.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun May 30, 2010 12:57 am

For Power on The Hunt's End, watch the battle copters and make sure they come towards Sensei as much as possible. I've already stated which opening move you need Adder to take in the AW2 Memories topic (it's not the one listed in 11-day walkthrough of my guide).

Do note that you must solve Sea of Hope first, though. If you save your score for The Hunt's End, you cannot go back and do Sea of Hope if you haven't already completed it. I also likely won't be able to help with Sea of Hope unless I'm specifically asked for advice. I'm pretty sure I have written the full walkthroughs, but I don't exactly know where I've placed them, so I'd have to search for them. (If I didn't write them, I should have files that should help me rediscover the strategies, but that would take some time again.)

You also don't have to restrict yourself to the Yellow Comet campaign; you can do a few Blue Moon missions in the meantime, as well.

-Translucent Air

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon May 31, 2010 4:32 am

Yellow Comet campaign is cleared! I really wanted to get a campaign done so I could unlock new COs for VS and War Room. It was getting really boring playing with only Sami, Max, Andy and Flak (who is lame and boring). I enjoyed this section of the game. Orange Star's campaign was a little too easy, but this campaign had a good level of challenge. Playing simply to win, the maps weren't that hard, but the challenge ramps up nicely as you try to clear faster. The COs are great, too. Kanbei's indestructible on terrain. Sonja is greatly improved from AW1 and is available on maps that reward her skills. Her luck seems to penalize her less often; she plays a lot more like a bland CO than a weakened one. She's much more fun to play in this game. Sensei's awesome and perhaps my personal favorite of the three. Fast transport COs are my favorites because they are extremely good at HQ Rush/War Room. He doesn't specialize in many units, but they get a huge boost, and are among your most useful and frequently-deployed units. B Copters are economical and awesome, and Sensei's Mechs absolutely ruin vehicles. Interestingly, I ended up using Sensei whenever I had the choice of CO, as he always seemed to be the best for the map =P. I'll be glad to get past this campaign though, because Adder's constant movement bonuses are annoying to micromanage. Hawke is introduced at the end of this campaign. It looks like Adder is getting his comeuppance for teasing Flak earlier; he seems awfully scared of Hawke. Hawke seems oddly relaxed for a nefarious evil doer, though.

I already described the 9 Day win on Sea of Hope in the thread devoted to that topic, so I'll omit that here.

To complete the campaign, I figured out how to win in 8 Days on The Hunt's End. More specifically, I figured out how to max the power component, bringing the score to 8 Days, 300 pts. I'll make a note of the D2D if anyone needs it.
The Orange Star CO doesn't even matter; it takes so long to capture the port and get off the western island that the battle is over by the time the Orange Star CO could affect anything. Yellow Comet is left to do all the work. I thought the best strategy would be a simple Battleship, but I was wrong. After that, I experimented with all sorts of different strategies; one extremely early Arty on a Lander, even rushing with Infantry to try to capture Adder's base. In the end, the fastest way is to rush a Lander and two Artillery up to Adder's pipe seam and blast it. Oddly, Sensei is the best CO here. It seems counter intuitive, because both Kanbei and Sonja have better artillery than Sensei. However, Kanbei cannot purchase the required units early enough, and loses turns spent traveling that aren't made up by his extra damage. Sonja is economical enough, but she loses a turn in transit because her Landers take 3 turns to cross the sea compared to Sensei's 2. Basically, Sensei's speed outweighs his lack of power. After I drop the Arty, the Lander does a little baiting to somewhat mitigate the damage the Arty takes from the minicannons. Meanwhile, Infantry rush to the east to bait a pair of B Copters into position. A Cruiser and AA destroy them on the last day, barely scraping out the Power score.
Buying COs to unlock them seems... strange somehow. Hey guys! If you go into Hachi's store, he'll sell you Sonja ('s body) for cheap!

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:22 am

Hi! I'm back to the competition! I got 14/300 in Show Stopper but didnt care at all about lab map. Do you also count this kind of score? It looks like I'm the 1st to really try this XD

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:50 am

Yeah, I've created separate scoring categories for absolute fastest time and fastest time with map on the missions that have them. I've edited your score in. I'm curious about how you did it, but I can't experiment on that map now because I've saved past that point =).

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 am

Ah great! I sent loaded APC, 2 tanks and 1 inf with south landers and experimented a bit to find how to keep APC and 10 hp tank for destroying the HQ rocket... But unlike Translucent Air I was far from being able of making any decent use of my other units, so I just kept them in defensive position near HQ, spoiling units for tech and trying to avoid the charge of Adder's meter...

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:06 am

Started in on the Blue Moon campaign. The first few missions felt like a cakewalk after maps like Show Stopper and Sea of Hope.

Colin is the new Blue Moon CO for this game. His abilities are intriguing; low cost units means more units faster. I'll be interested to see if he is an optimal choice on any War Room maps. It seems like his lower prices might be extremely important on some maps (where it means getting a loaded transport deployed a turn earlier). His units are somewhat frail individually, though. I'm trying to figure out if it's better to spam Gold Rush as soon as it's available or if I should save for Power of Money. I'm inclined to think that Gold Rush is better, as you can use it more often, get more units sooner, and also gain the CO power defense bonus more frequently.

Grit seems like he gained some and lost some. His infantry got upgraded to bland. His Snipe Attack isn't the instagibbing madness it used to be, though. Hmmm... Meanwhile, Olaf is Olaf =P.

Reclamation was very easy. A very straightforward "rush the HQ with a single loaded APC" type map. There were a few complications with units near the HQ that can block the capture, but it didn't take long to sort out. Cleared in 7 Days with 300 pts. I'm not even gonna post strategy, it's easy to figure out =P.

Tanks!!! was similarly easy. Like A Mirror Darkly, it's another map where you have a bunch of indirects and some fish in a barrel to shoot at. Thinking about it, since your indirects are trapped in the mountains, I suppose your forces would be the fish in the barrel. However, instead of fish, Adder reaches into the barrel to find that it's been filled with flesh eating, explosive piranhas. Yeah, that's awesome, lets go with that analogy. Grit's a cool character. He moseys out, owns Adder's face off, then goes back to sleep. I experimented with a few strategies, and came to the conclusion that the fastest time is straightforward. 5 Day Rout is fairly easy, but 4 Day Rout seems impossible, so it's pretty clear cut. I fought my way to a relaxed 5 day, 400 pt win.
As with other rout maps, the fastest way to complete it is to destroy the enemy in as few attacks as possible. It's helpful if you can force enemy units to join (so that they can be destroyed in fewer attacks). Regrettably, Grit's Rockets cannot oneshot Adder's Md Tanks, even with the Snipe Attack vs. Road matchup. However, you can damage them enough to force them to join (2 HP or less) if you hit them with this matchup. Therefore, it's very advantageous to use Snipe Attack before Adder can use Sidewinder. I carefully managed my attacks so that Adder didn't use his power too early. I chokepointed Adder's Md Tanks with a Recon in the northern region of the map, forcing them all to group in the same place. Then I sent one Infantry to fire a silo at the East side of the map and hit them all at once, greatly speeding the mop up. I didn't need more than one missile. I used the remaining Infantry to ensure that Adder's Recons advanced into range of my southern Artillery. The Mechs can be oneshotted by Rockets on rivers, roads, and plains, and I attempted to eliminate them early, as they are the only units on this map that can really hurt you. Recons can likewise be oneshotted by Rockets or Arty on roads, although they aren't as high a priority. I eliminated them when convenient.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 am

Blackbird wrote: Colin is the new Blue Moon CO for this game. His abilities are intriguing; low cost units means more units faster. I'll be interested to see if he is an optimal choice on any War Room maps.
Yep he's the only one who gets Last Mission 6/300. Sami gets 6 days too but she fails to get 300 (iirc AI builds 31 units with her and 30 with Colin, only 3 kills are possible in so few days). Btw, when do you start your War Room Diary?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:23 am

Probably when I finish normal campaign. I want to have more COs unlocked before I tackle the War Room, as I plan to experiment a bit. In AW1, the solution to almost all maps was to HQ Rush with Sami, as she had the fastest transports and the best capture. In AW2, the optimal CO seems a lot more diverse; more trade offs between early deployment, fastest speed, and overall strength.

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:56 am

Mmmm Sami owns most of the maps still. Sturm is also excellent with his crazy skills: 120/120 and move=1 anywhere...
Also by reading Translucent's Guide carefully, I found two forgotten scores for your list:

Hard Campaign:
Tanks!!! - 5 days
Liberation (Max) - 9 days

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 am

Time to post some more progress! After tinkering with Two Week Test some, I decided that I wanted to experiment with Neotanks on that map. Therefore, I decided to clear Toy Box and Neotanks!? next.

Toy Box is a really unusual map. Really low funds, and lot of blocking terrain. I can't say too much more about it without spoiling, so I'll just say that I cleared in 9 Days with 300 pts and the lab map obtained. I'll explain the rest in the spoiler:
As I mentioned before, this looks like it should be a HQ rush map. You start with no forces and little funds, so HQ rush seems like a no-brainer. However, This map has many terrain tiles. They create chokepoints which are quickly filled with enemy units. In addition, certain features of the map make it extremely easy to block the AI's bases so, surprisingly, Rout ends up being faster. There are a few critical actions that allow this to happen. First, you must build an early Tank and damage Lash's Infantry to 2HP, making it retreat. This blocks the southern base. Next, Lash must not block the central tiles west of the neutral base, allowing your Tank to move North on the next turn, where it damages a Recon to 1~2 HP. The Recon then retreats, blocking the northern base. With both bases blocked, you can clean up the APC and remaining Infantry within a few turns. Done well, the AI doesn't get to build a single Tank of it's own. Meanwhile, a single Infantry sneaks down to claim the map city. After experimentation, I found I was unable to HQ Cap or Rout the map any faster by ignoring the map. Unless a better strategy is developed, getting the map on this mission doesn't prevent you from also getting the fastest time.

With Toy Box cleared, I moved on to Neotanks!?. Lack of existing units, pre-deployed enemy units, and multiple enemy bases make Lab Capture the best solution to this map. The units around the Lab look intimidating, but this map is made extremely easy by several readily-available missile silos. I experimented with all three COs, and came to a surprising conclusion. More on that in spoilers. In the end, I cleared in 8 Days, with 300 pts.
Colin seems like he'd be the default CO on a map with low starting funds. He can deploy an APC on the first turn, unlike the other COs. However, after experimentation, I found that the tiles of movement Colin gains from his early deployment do not allow him to reach the Lab a turn earlier than the other COs (only one tile of movement prevents this, a single woods tile in the way!). Surprisingly, all three COs are equally viable here; Grit and Olaf are just as fast as Colin. All three finish in the fastest time of 8 Days (with some modification of the strategy for each CO). It doesn't matter who you pick here, pick the CO you like! Obviously, you'll use the silos to clear the Lab area of the nasty Md Tanks and Rockets. After reducing those units to 1 HP, they retreat away from the Lab. Interestingly, the "retreat" AI behavior is reset on a unit after it joins, even if it doesn't total at least 3 HP after joining. In some cases, I had to attack the joined Md Tank with a unit, even doing no damage, just to "remind" it that it was still in the retreat/low HP threshold. Getting the Power score was a little bit tricky, because the terrain north of your bases makes reaching the enemy units difficult. I lured a Tank down from the left side of the map to be destroyed by Artillery, and delayed destroying retreating units in the NE so that I could destroy 2 units at once.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:46 pm

Still working on the Blue Moon Campaign. After a fair amount of experimentation, I cleared T Minus 15 in 8 Days, which is a new record, as far as I know! There's a fair amount of luck abuse involved; some save/loading to get ideal results. The D2D is in the optimization thread, so I'll just go into a general description of the strategy here:
The objective of this map is to capture the central cities, but Flak advances a ton of units to sit on them, blocking or threatening capture attempts. You need to wipe them out quickly so you can begin capturing ASAP. First, I used Andy's units to destroy a Mech and damage a Recon in the NW of the map, while Olaf's Tanks damage Flak's Rockets. By carefully managing the damage I do to Flak, I forced him to use his CO power early, before the bulk of his forces engage, effectively wasting it. It also allows me to do more damage to Flak's units later, because he won't get the benefit of a CO power defense bonus. When Flak's Bombers advance in the southern front, I am able to attack two of them without instantly filling Flak's CO gauge because his power is currently active. In the central front, I again carefully managed my damage; I damage a Tank to exactly 5 HP, then use Olaf's SCOP to reduce it to 3 HP. Finally, I advance a Mech to capture the city in front of the damaged Tank, simultaneously creating a useful chokepoint and allowing me to begin capturing early. When I use my SCOP, I destroy as many of Olaf's units to the North of the silo as possible, using Rockets, Arty, Md Tanks, and Tanks. This clears the way for a single damaged Tank to attack Flak's troublesome Rockets. It's extremely important to destroy them on the same turn you begin capturing the NE cities, because they will attack capturing Infantry on the northern cities, blocking capture attempts. Meanwhile, Andy's B Copters, shielded by a Fighter, make a suicide rush to destroy the Missiles and finish off the damaged Rocket (just barely). Andy's other units, including his APC, bait some of Flak's Md Tanks away from the chokepoints, clearing the way. This allows me to capture both eastern properties extremely early, and also clears the way for an APC to drop off an Infantry to capture the western cities. Finally, I advance a Rocket to clear the chokepoint created by the 3 HP Tank, and use Md Tanks to clear the area South of the silo. By this time, a Mech I saved from the southern front has advanced far enough to be loaded into an APC, which advances to the SW cities to pick up another capture. An Infantry simply walks to the remaining NW city to capture it.
Nature Walk currently has me stumped. I have a general idea of the route I need to take to win in 6 Days, but a Md Tank sits in the area I need to move through and destroys a critical unit. I need to figure out how to bait/move that Md Tank away... hmmm...

I'm totally clueless on Two Week Test, as well. I'd heard it was possible to win by HQ capture, but it seems like such a daunting challenge. An APC sits on the Lash's HQ and guards it, in addition to the difficulty of getting an APC and capturing foot soldier to the HQ without being destroyed by Lash's numerous units. I'm really going to need to think this one through.

Unable to make headway on those two maps, I decided to practice/experiment with various CO combinations on Factory Blues. The results were interesting. I was unable to complete the map any faster than 8 Days; I concluded that this was almost certainly the optimal time for this map. However, I found that various CO combinations could complete the map in the optimum time. On a predeployed map like this with heavy terrain, Kanbei is an absolute beast. You can actually win in 8 Days with Kanbei and any Blue Moon CO; Kanbei is strong enough that he doesn't need any additional units from Blue Moon to destroy the pipe seam in 8 Days. In order to do this, you must attack the pipe seam with a Tank on Day 7, and meanwhile sacrifice your other units to charge your CO power. On Day 8, you use Morale Boost to increase your damage, giving you just enough power to finish off the pipe seam with the Arty and another Tank attack. Colin likewise allows some CO combinations to finish the map in 8 Days. Colin's Arty, deployed on Day 1, arrives just in time to attack on Day 8. The additional damage allows bland COs like Andy to destroy the pipe seam in combination with their own Tank and Arty attacks. It's more difficult clearing the way across the map without Kanbei's hax units, though. With both Colin and Kanbei, you have some leeway in destroying the seam; you can't destroy the seam any faster, but you don't need to send Kanbei's Tank to add damage, just the two Artillery units. This makes them the easiest CO combination on this map, by far. It's nice to know that you don't necessarily have to complete the Yellow Comet campaign first to optimize this map, though.

Colin is hands down the best Blue Moon CO because of his early/inexpensive deployment. The map's terrain prevents Grit's range bonus from being any real advantage. Additionally, Blue Moon doesn't have predeployed units, so the possibility of getting the power score and charging the CO power is remote. This makes Olaf a poor choice; he's bland, and his greatest strength is wrapped up in his SCOP, which is unattainable and not especially useful on on this map. Grit doesn't have much chance of using his Snipe Attack, either. Colin's day to day bonus carries a lot more weight here.
Last edited by Blackbird on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:24 pm

I apologize; I've been extremely busy as of late, so I haven't been able to respond as much as I would like. Congrats on your Blue Moon progress so far, especially T-Minus 15; I'll try to look at it as well as Sea of Hope once things ease up for me.

Your Toy Box score is interesting, since both -STL- and I (in reproducing his score) opted for a HQ capture. Additionally, it sounds like your method might be more stable, as both of us had to deal with a rather random tank deployment. I'm also glad you found that everyone was able to complete Neotanks!? in 8 days; I should have made note of it in some random old post on this board, but it's great to know someone else was able to independently verify. As for Factory Blues, as I'm sure you know, I made note of the Colin win while -STL- noted Kanbei's method. (I unfortunately don't recall specifically who azu might have used; azu was the one who first reported this as well as 6 days with A Mirror Darkly.) As you've mentioned, I would prefer to use Colin as it makes the score independent of the Yellow Comet campaign.

I don't have any recommendations for Nature Walk; I'm guess I'm actually a little surprised you're finding it tough. Nonetheless, this is what I remember for Two-Week Test: Lash's opening moves tend to be quite random and difficult to manipulate due to her distance from Colin. Unfortunately, I found that the HQ capture pretty much relies on her following an exact set of moves which are difficult to reproduce in series. To deal with the defending APC, I actually brought a medium tank as support; this, however, severely hinders development of defense near Colin's HQ, making attaining technique extremely difficult. I'd probably recommend that you try for a 12-day score after you've gone through the entire Campaign at least once; it's just not worth the time and frustration before you've had a chance to experience everything else the game has to offer.

-Translucent Air

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:43 pm

The Toy Box Rout has it's own small set of problems. You need Lash to make specific moves on Day 3(?) so your Tank can attack the Recon next turn. You also need a luck roll to damage an Inf to 2 HP, but I suspect the HQ Cap probably uses this same opener. After that it's not too bad, just mopping up Infantry really. I don't think Lash gets an opportunity to deploy any Tanks with the Rout method, at least ;).

I would compare my Nature Walk problems to tripping over a pebble =P. It's just one AI movement that I'm missing, and once I figure out that last piece of the puzzle the rest is going to fall neatly into place.

Thanks for the info on Two Week Test. Even knowing that you used a Md Tank to clear the HQ is good information; it gives me a vague goal to work towards. AI movement is so random on that map it's hard to come up with a specific plan/set of objectives.

Cheers TA!

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Lol, finally worked past my megafail on Nature Walk. As expected, my difficulties were a result of fixed-problem solving; I was so intent on trying to solve it one way that I ignored better options. After thinking a little more flexibly, I found two major reasons for my megafail:

1) I ignored the obvious solution of bringing more decoys. Duh. You can never have too many decoys.
2) I wasn't moving optimally. I thought I could only reach the HQ in time by moving into the attack range of Lash's Md Tank, but I realized later that I could reach the HQ just as quickly by using a different route that didn't "aggro" the Md Tank.

With the Md Tank out of the picture and enough bait to get anything else out of the way, the map fell easily in 6 Days with the full 300 pts. I find it amusing that Grit trash talks every Black Hole CO he meets =).

I've got Factory Blues pretty well figured out already, so that just leaves Two Week Test... *cracks knuckles*