The AW2 AIs and COP usage priorities

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

The AW2 AIs and COP usage priorities

Post by Xenesis » Sun May 30, 2010 11:27 pm

So, in my attempt to extract something useful out of how the AI chooses when to activate its COPs and SCOPs, I came across this interesting variable...which I shall dub "AI CO Power Priority Percent"

First, here's the Values:

0 - Sturm
10 - Lash
15 - Olaf, Sonja, Eagle, Sensei
20 - Hachi
25 - Everyone Else
35 - Drake, Adder

The game, with these values will take the value of three power stars, and multiply it by this value as a percentage and then add the result to the cost of a COP. If the current charge held is less than this value but more than enough to COP, the AI will use a COP. If it is greater it will save for its SCOP.

So, converted this will tell you when the AI will use a COP:

Never - Sturm
+0.3 Stars - Lash
+0.45 Stars - Olaf, Sonja, Eagle, Sensei
+0.6 Stars - Hachi
+0.75 Stars - Everyone Else
+1.05 Stars - Drake, Adder

Edit: As an update I have discovered a second variable. The game rolls the RNG to determine if it will actually activate the COP:
Chance of COP - CO
0% - Sturm
70% - Olaf, Sonja, Eagle, Lash, Sensei
90% - Hachi
95% - Everyone else

So, Lash is the least likely CO in the game to use her COP, while Adder and Drake tie for most likely.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Blackbird

Re: The AW2 AIs and COP usage priorities

Post by Blackbird » Mon May 31, 2010 12:43 am

This isn't ironclad, but I've found this works as a simple generalization:

The AI will use it's CO power if the meter is exactly enough to charge it (not much overflow). If you exceed the CO power threshold and start putting a star or more to the SCOP, the AI will generally save it's gauge and use the SCOP immediately after it's charged.

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Mon May 31, 2010 6:29 am

You and Xenesis have basically said the same thing, but Xenesis used more Greek and mathematics and was CO-specific, providing a little more detail.

Nonetheless, the RNG for CO Power activation is the reason why my walkthroughs often have a note saying that the enemy CO must have used his/her CO Power the previous day. (Blackbird, I do apologize for not specifically listing that on Adder's first use in Show Stopper as it prevented you from realizing the weight of my "must" for the 2HP bomber earlier, but it looks like I considered his movements after using his CO Power took precedence over him simply using his CO Power. After all, Show Stopper is the only mission where I specifically recommended saving in-game inside the body of walkthrough.)

Of course, the rule of thumb Blackbird stated is generally all that's needed for fastest S-Rank completion goals (similar in regards that most forget how Power and Technique scoring aspects are actually calculated).

-Translucent Air

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Mon May 31, 2010 7:14 am

those are very cool stats to know :) good job Xen

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Mon May 31, 2010 7:15 am

Blackbird wrote:This isn't ironclad, but I've found this works as a simple generalization:

The AI will use it's CO power if the meter is exactly enough to charge it (not much overflow). If you exceed the CO power threshold and start putting a star or more to the SCOP, the AI will generally save it's gauge and use the SCOP immediately after it's charged.
Yeah, pretty much. It's just interesting, is all :)
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:34 am

Nice find. That explains some things, in AWDS Survival we wanted the AI to forget to use the COP (Turn Survival Map 10, and Money Mao 11 f.e.) which happened very rarely, 5% fits pretty well. So it´s no glitch, maybe the Indirects forget to attack in AW1/2 isn´t either? The 70% from Sensei fits pretty well for AWDS too, in the Turn map against him he often didn´t use COP. Also interessing to hear that Eagle AI uses COP, as it does never in AWDS, but i guess only if it has at least 1 Air Unit. Do you think you could find the ones for AWDS too? I am definitely interessted to know the exact numbers and stats!

DxDyDzD

Post by DxDyDzD » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:47 pm

In AW2 Eagle's COP just boosts attack and defense for air units, while in AWDS it gives a double turn at the expense of halved attack. I think it's poor programming that lead to Eagle not using his COP in AWDS. More below.
I have noticed some interesting things regarding some (S)COP usage by the AI in AWDS:
First, Eagle. First fact: He never uses his COP. Second fact: His COP is the only one which cuts attack. These two combined lead me to believe that the AI was programmed to think that cutting its own attack should be avoided at all costs, even if you do get a double turn out of it. But then again, his meter is very lopsided (3/9), so that might be another factor.
Second, Kindle. She seems to use her COP only when about 20% or more of your units are on properties (this information was brought up in a discussion of Campaign map 17, Spiral Garden).
Third, Andy. He never uses his powers if he has no damaged units (this information was brought up in a discussion of Campaign map 26, Surrounded). IIRC this was also the case in AW1/2. This makes sense since using a 3-star COP for just +10/10, or a 6-star SCOP for +30/10 and +1 movement is grossly overpriced.

In conclusion, it's possible that AWDS's COP usage probabilities are the same as AW2's, but the AI will take into account some other factors to make its decision. This factor is probably money in general. For one, Rachel's and Von Bolt's SCOPs use money to calculate targets (at least, one of the missiles in Rachel's SCOP does). And units love making suicidal attacks if they think that they've caused more damage than they've sustained (e.g. Infantry attacking Neotank, if the Neotank takes 1 damage that's 2200, and if the Infantry dies that's 1000, so the AI thinks it got the better part of the deal).

Possible tests:
Andy with no wounded units
Colin/Hachi on a map without properties (may not be possible without hacking since all armies must have HQs on Design Maps)
Lash on a road-only map (lol)
Olaf when the weather is set to Snow (on Versus mode)

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 pm

The AI has specific criteria for when it can actually activate it's CO power, at least in AW2. In theory, the AI would be able to perform it after it moves every one of it's units but obviously it had some rules programmed. They seem to have expanded this in AWDS, though (notably with the mass damage COs who will use it as soon as it is available).

The AI won't even attempt to activate a COP unless the criteria is satisfied.

I know of five 'rules' in AW2, in regards to S/COP activation:
-Andy (Doesn't activate without damaged units)
-Eagle (Activates SCOP at end of turn only)
-Drake, Hawke (Activates S/COP at start or end of turn)
-Olaf (Has his own rule, but I haven't investigated how it works yet. Probably weather related for COP)
-Everyone else (Activates COP at start of the turn)