Advance Wars 2 Campaign Walkthrough

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
donnytondesterkste

Post by donnytondesterkste » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Hah, I got up to Hot Pursuit HC in my game, and I used your strategy, and it worked! However, I made some minor changes:

- I found that using an AA to block the choke was both dangerous and difficult, at least to get there. For this reason, I rushed my tank and AA up out of mincannon range, and waited until a mech, infantry, and another mech were already outside the choke. The pattern for Sturm's infantry on the second turn is as follows:

X = minicannon
_ = empty
R = infantry
M = mech

_MR
XMX
_R

The next day, Sturm moves them into this formation:

XRX
_M_
_M_
___
_R_

And the bottom infantry is capturing the airport.

Here, I immediately destroyed the north mech in with the AA, which was positioned so that it could attack from the right (95% damage). Then I used my tank to attack the north infantry, which automatically positions the tank in the choke. My artillery was standing by the airport, ready to shoot anything that comes on it, so it attacked the infantry on the airport. I used another infantry (I built 3 from the bases previously) to destroy it. Ended my turn.

What this does is set it up extremely quickly, because on the next turn, the cannons will shoot your AA to 2 hp, and then you can destroy the mech capturing the airport using your artillery, and infantry, and finally and AA attack, in that order (usually the infantry leaves the mech with 1 hp). I did what I needed, built some stuff, and ended my turn. Note that I did not attack the infantry again with my tank.

This turn, Sturm's cannon will finally shoot the tank, but do not much else. Now I can use that 5 hp tank to attack the infantry, and it will almost ALWAYS leave it with 1 hp (I think it's a 58% hit the first time and a 34% hit the second with Kanbei). Now you're completely set up, since the tank will be shot to 1 hp next turn. What is curious about this is that because the infantry has 1 hp instead of 2, it will not dare attack the tank, even under meteor strike circumstances.
"I'd sig that, but no room. >_>" -Blame Game

Translucent Air

Post by Translucent Air » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:05 pm

Nice work; I see you've sticked to having Kanbei in the middle. I look forward to seeing the final version.

-Translucent Air

sleepyguy

Post by sleepyguy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:25 pm

Xen: No. Don't spam.
to be pimpy or not to be pimpy

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:06 pm

Why the hell did you post this here?
What can change the nature of a man?

Jake Armitage

Re:

Post by Jake Armitage » Thu May 24, 2018 8:44 pm

donnytondesterkste wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Here, I immediately destroyed the north mech in with the AA, which was positioned so that it could attack from the right (95% damage). Then I used my tank to attack the north infantry, which automatically positions the tank in the choke.
I only recently played the hard campaign (mainly because I didn't realize that so many of the maps were either modified or totally new (which appeals more to me than being hard) and was looking for info (which is how I stumbled on this site) - so I realize I am responding to a really old topic ^___^.

I used a slight modification to avoid having to save and repeat until the mech is destroyed in one attack by the AA. On the first turn I created another tank and on the second turn advanced the first tank up a couple of rows and brought the new tank up. Two of the mini cannons will hit the first tank (reducing it to a strength of 4). Then you can use that to eliminate the mech if it isn't wiped out by the AA and then you can bring the second tank up to attack the infantry.

Edit - I was playing around with this tonight and you can also use Max to achieve the same bottling effect.

Second edit - I have been playing around with putting Jess or Drake in the middle on Hot Pursuit whilst using the bottling technique. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but if you allow Sturm to take either factory he just produces infantry or mechs. If you allow him to take the airport he just produces transports.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"