[AW2] - Meteor Strike Mechanics

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

[AW2] - Meteor Strike Mechanics

Post by Xenesis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:27 pm

So in hacking apart AW2 I have finally unravelled the Mystery of how Meteor Strike works.

Firstly:

Meteor Strike must be targeted on a unit.
Meteor Strike cannot target a unit that player that cannot currently see.
Meteor Strike cannot target dived Submarines as the centre unit.
If the damage inflicted by the selected mode comes up as negative, as the best shot, the meteor is not fired.

Meteor Strike has three targeting modes that are picked at random when Meteor Strike is activated, all three have equal odds to be selected.

Mode 1 - Cost Calculation
From the currently selected centre unit, calculates the total cost of all units in the strike area and adds them to a total cost damage inflicted. Units on 1.0 HP or less are ignored. Cost modifiers are taken into account, so Kanbei's units are more valuable and Colin's are less valuable. Likewise, HP is also considered. A 5 HP Unit is worth half as much as a 10 HP unit. Enemy units increase the total, friendly units decrease the total. The centred target which causes the most cost is selected.

Mode 2 - Cost Calculation - Indirect Multiplier
This is identical to Mode 1, with the exception that every Indirect Combat unit (Minimum Range > 1) is given a 2x Multiplier. This means that for targeting purposes, each Indirect unit is twice as valuable.

Mode 3 - Total HP Calculation
Instead of relying on cost, this mode simply tallies up the HP around each centred unit and the most HP damage takes the hit. As with the other modes, Units on 1.0 HP or less are ignored and friendly units subtract from the total.

So, there you have it. That's why Meteor Strike sometimes targets that lone Rocket when you wanted it to hit your 12 Infantry.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Re: [AW2] - Meteor Strike Mechanics

Post by Xenesis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:04 pm

I've started dissecting Firestorm (AW4) - it seems to be the same as the Cost Calculation (Mode 1) but we'll see.

Edit: Not quite. Firestorm is a bit odd again.

From what I can tell, Firestorm has the following settings:

Firestorm - AW4
Can target any tile on the map
Targets the area which has the most damage it can do
HP is taken into consideration, however 8.0 to 10.0 HP are treated equally (as the power does 8.0 HP damage)
Gunboats have an 0.5x multiplier.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

danger x -9

Post by danger x -9 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:56 am

I've been lurking these forums for years, and I made an account today just to say: Congratulations, Xenesis! Especially given the complicated nature of Meteor Strike, figuring it out is another inspiring feat of reverse engineering you've done for everyone who loves these classic games, another testament that they've survived the test of time.

So, on topic: For mode 1, a 9HP unit is worth 10% less than a 10HP one, even though they'd both take 8HP damage?

And for Firestorm, did you make a typo? An 8HP unit would only take 7 damage, right? But 8HP through 10HP is treated equally regardless?

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah, seems to be the case. Meteor Strike seems to ignore the damage it'd actually do, it's just interested in the funds.

And no, an 8 HP unit would take 7.9 HP damage. Regardless that's what the code says it does - it compares to 80 (0x50 or 8.0 HP) and any number higher than that is replaced with 80.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Xenesis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Okay, so I ripped apart AW3's Meteor Strike powers as well, and this is what I uncovered.

General Rules
-Can target any tile
-Completely ignores Oozium (Are assigned a HP or value of 0)

Targeting Modes
Mode 1:
Targets the concentration of units with the most total HP.
HP value is capped at the strike's damage (3.0 HP by default)
Units with a HP of less than 1.0 are assigned a value of 0.1 HP, with no multipliers
No other modifiers

Mode 2:
Targets the concentration of units with the most total HP.
Units with a HP of less than 1.0 are assigned a value of 0.1 HP, with no multipliers
Infantry and Mech's HP is multiplied by 4 for the calculation
Capturing unit's HP are multiplied by 2 for the calculation

Mode 3:
Targets the concentration of units with the most total value in funds.
Units with a HP of less than 1.0 are assigned a value of 2G, with no multipliers
Unit cost is scaled by the unit's HP

Covering Fire
Covering Fire fires three missiles using Mode 2, Mode 3 and then Mode 1.

Ex Machina
Ex Machina has a 50% chance to select either Mode 1 or Mode 3.

Lambda

Post by Lambda » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 pm

By "Meteor Strike powers" you mean missiles powers only or there is literally an unsued Meteor Strike animation hidden somewhere in the rom (for AWDS I mean) ?
Last edited by Lambda on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x0_000

Post by x0_000 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Oh, random thought: Can you confirm/deny that the AI uses the same functions for silos? I was watching an old video of mine and noticed the AI hit a single infantry with a silo.
Only in math can you buy 600 cantaloupes and not look like a nutter.

Hans Stockmann

Post by Hans Stockmann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:59 pm

So, Funky Bomb coming in 2014?

grand-pappy

Post by grand-pappy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Wow Xenesis, you figured that out yourself? Way to go.