Maps Without Guides (AW2)

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Maps Without Guides (AW2)

Post by Dragon Fogel » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 am

For the sake of getting our guides section to be more complete, I've decided to make a list of what doesn't have a guide so that we have all the info in one place.

Our goals for guides in AW2 are:
-300-point strategies for every Campaign map
-300-point strategies for every Hard Campaign map
-300-point strategies for every War Room map with every CO

Unlike AW1, this game doesn't record your rank for different COs on Campaign missions. Because of that and the large number of possible CO choices on the last two missions, having strategies for all COs will be low-priority. If you want to write a guide for alternate CO choices, of course, we'll probably put it up.

Campaign

-Toy Box
-Tanks!!!
-Reclamation
-T Minus 15
-Two Week Test
-Nature Walk
-Neotanks!?
-Factory Blues
-Silo Scramble
-Show Stopper
-Sensei's Return
-Duty & Honor
-A Mirror Darkly
-Foul Play
-Sea of Hope
-The Hunt's End
-Sea Fortress
-Drake's Dilemma
-Sinking Feeling
-To the Rescue
-Navy Vs. Air
-Rain of Fire
-Danger x 9
-Hot Pursuit
-Final Front

Hard Campaign

All missions have strategies. However, if there are any maps where people feel that a more detailed strategy is needed than what we already have, feel free to speak up.

War Room

-Spann Island (Everyone but Sami)
-Moji Island (Kanbei)
-Duo Falls (Kanbei)
-Sole Harbor (Strategy listed for Andy; find and cover exceptions)
-Pivot Isle (Kanbei)
-Land's End (Kanbei)
-Kita Straight
-Point Stormy (Kanbei)
-Mial's Hope (Strategy listed for Eagle; find and cover exceptions)
-Bounty River
-Toil Ferry (Kanbei)
-Dire Range (Max, Colin, Kanbei, Sensei)
-Stamp Islands (Everyone but Sami)
-Ring Islands
-Pay Dirt
-Long Road
-Nest Egg
-The Trident
-Banker Hills (Everyone but Sami)
-Missile Plains (More details for Kanbei)
-The Ring (Kanbei)

I feel comfortable noting that Missile Plains needs more details for Kanbei because I wrote up that guide. Also, a few of thefalman's old guides list a particular CO but seem to actually be general strategies; if he doesn't mind, it might be good for someone to clean those up to be a little clearer. I think it's fair to say that on the whole we have a preference for general War Room strategies over CO-specific ones.

If anyone would like to note any guides for AW2 that are hard to follow, or have mistakes, feel free.
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

yoshifan

Re: Maps Without Guides (AW2)

Post by yoshifan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:22 am

I'm not sure if it's something you guys would add to the Guides section, but I've started to make some War Room videos with non-optimal COs, and was wondering if it would interest anyone here. I included strategy notes in the YouTube video descriptions.

Lost Basin - Andy - 300 in 24 days
Risky Vale - Grit - 300 in 21 days (strategy might only be viable as Grit)

I thought WWN's "all 300s/999s with all COs" collaboration projects for each AW game were really neat, but as the years passed I thought the accomplishments didn't feel very tangible due to a lack of videos. So I think it'd be nice to get videos of more of those scores. If it's anything to draw inspiration from, there's an F-Zero GX video project in the same spirit, pitting the 41 racing machines versus the 26 staff ghosts, and the project seems to have been pretty successful.

I should point out, though, that I'm not personally a huge fan of doing very specific HQ capture strategies (or anything using save-and-continue luck manipulation), so I'm not the best player for getting the fastest completions possible (especially in AW1/2).

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:23 am

Hi there yoshifan, no wonder why F-zero was mentioned, hehe.

I do find it odd that while there might not be FAQs for each level, there are no screenshots of each map.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Post by Xenesis » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:52 am

Having a video run for each S-Rank guide would be the ultimate goal I think. It'd be a lot of work and take a long time though.

I'll see what I can do about putting those up though, need to have a thing about format.
samurai goroh wrote:Hi there yoshifan, no wonder why F-zero was mentioned, hehe.

I do find it odd that while there might not be FAQs for each level, there are no screenshots of each map.
Yeah, that's something I'm working on slowly. Every map (even the Vs maps!) should have a screenshot.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

samurai goroh

Post by samurai goroh » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:00 pm

I wanted to do that for Dual Strike. Only completed the Survival Modes and part of the War Room though...:
smg.photobucket.com/user/SamuraiGoroh/library/Advance Wars/Dual Strike/Survival
smg.photobucket.com/user/SamuraiGoroh/library/Advance%20Wars/Dual%20Strike/War%20Room/2%20CO

Actually I'm having in mind to play Advance Wars 2 for a project I want to do, so I could take the snaps of all the maps. I could host it on its corresponding folder under:
smg.photobucket.com/user/SamuraiGoroh/library/Advance Wars/AW2

Edit: URL tags are not working...