Which Campaign Is The Strongest?

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
AzureTranquility

Which Campaign Is The Strongest?

Postby AzureTranquility » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:11 pm

AW1's, AW2's, or AWDS'?

My votes goes to AW2. AW1 gets props for alternate paths, though.

Xenesis
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO
3DS Code: 2535-4646-7163

Re: Which Campaign Is The Strongest?

Postby Xenesis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:34 pm

AW1's smashes it out of the park. I thought both the AW2 and AW3 campaigns were relatively weak (and in some ways, worse than AW4's). Both had an over reliance on gimmicky map features and the enemy CO variety was pretty lacklustre because you fight five generalists.

I would actually say that AW2's is the worst campaign out of the entire four games, TBH.
IST wrote:Even the worst individual needs to discover the joys of a chicken statue that is also a pregnant blonde housewife.

Kiltman2

Postby Kiltman2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:05 am

I really now appreciate AW1's campaign from playing it a little. It's... surprisingly challenging. I did like the tactical campaign style of AW2 - there were some missions I was really keen on skipping, particularly a Sonja one with a fortress. That kicked my arse, maybe it's laziness but it was nice to pick and choose the missions you wanted to.

But yeah, on replay AW1 has fantastic level design, and also plausible different routes to victory. And fighting Kanbei is such a bitch I could cry.

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:50 am

I did my piece on this already, but yeah, AW1 has the best learning curve and level design.
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

Kiltman2

Postby Kiltman2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:58 am

where can I view your thoughts, I would like to subscribe to your newletter

Linkman
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Postby Linkman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:17 am

viewtopic.php?p=387744

newsletter is linkmanning.linkman.com
"everytime I try to draw xen I end up drawing a kangaroo smoking a cigar while chainsawing a tree" - Deoxy
"I can't believe I'm the only person who voted Stallone. His appeal lies in watching is movies again and again just to hear what the hell he's talking about." - Kilteh

AzureTranquility

Postby AzureTranquility » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Hmm... now that I think about it, it WAS pretty annoying only having a few opponents to work with in AW2 and AWDS. In AW1, your opponents were switched up after a while. On the flip-side however, you only got to play as Andy, Max and Sami in AW1, with only The Final Battle allowing you to use different guys, and it was dependent on your actions in the campaign.

What I like about the AW2 Campaign is that not only is it a four-in-one deal, but the way every nation works together, especially during the factory missions, and the chemistry betwene the three COs of each country, is just something I find charming. AW2 was also the first AW game where I actually started thinking about how the characters would sound(The seeds of my VA idea... hehe), since there was a diverse number of characters. Gameplay-wise, it's nice to be able to play as everyone extensively, and getting to choose your CO for some of the missions does make you think. My biggest beef with AW2's level design is the overly-huge maps like Show Stopper... oh god Show Stopper how I dread ye. It makes sense for there to be a grand scale for the final missions of each campaign, but a regular mission? Especially one that has a neotank map somewhere? Bleh.

AW:DS is sort-of a mix of the past two, though you get far more freedom in who you can choose once you get to a certain point. It has optional missions that can be annoying to unlock since you have to capture a certain property in the previous mission, otherwise you skip it and have to replay the entire campaign to unlock it. I also mentioned the annoyance of only having Koal and Jugger(With some Lash spattered around) as opponents for 9 missions, then Kindle gets added from Mission 10 onwards, but it's not enough. Hawke only had one mission as an opponent, which only hurts the enemy variety more(That he is only fought once, not that he appears in the first place). The developers must have gotten annoyed of it too, since they resorted to using pallete-swapped Classic COs as tag-team partners for the already used-and-abused Koal, Jugger, and Kindle. Von Bolt of course only got two missions, which fits in line with Sturm only having two missions during the climax of each of the previous AW games.

So my actual ranking of the campaigns is more like AW2 >= AW1 > AWDS. AW2 also has an edge in terms of mission count, but if you count all of the different varieties of the AW1 missions, AW1 might come out on top.

Kiltman2

Postby Kiltman2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:36 pm

For being arguably a more linear campaign in that it goes in a straight line, AW has the benefit of multiple paths which have consequences later in the game. It gives a level of depth and replayability which is lacking in AW2. Green Earth is a great example of this, Andy / Sami / Max levels are all very different & such good level design. AW2? Oh I can beat the game again but I'll pick different COs oh ok.

AW2 also suffers because so many of the levels are not predeployed. This means there is a lack of variety yeah, but also the AI benefits from predeployment as it's not reliant on picking good unit choices which the AI is quite bad at & that makes the game more challenging.

The Hard Campaign in AW2 is "better" in that it's somewhat doable. But yeah, give me more interesting opponents pls. I'll happily play as just Andy / Max / Sami if I can play against Drake on a naval map or Sensei on any map ever. And don't give me "let's have a fake battle to test our skills haha!" nonsense in AWDS. PEOPLE ARE DYING, JESS. GET ON BOARD JAVIER YOU CALLOUS PRICK.

AzureTranquility

Postby AzureTranquility » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 am

rofl

Lightning Strike (Mission 12 in AWDS) was the first mission I remember getting stuck on, and one of the reasons it made me mad was because it seemed silly for them to have to fight the Allied Nations to prove their skills... especially when Sense and Jess already knew about all but a couple of them! At least with Hawke you could understand because he was a villain in the previous game.

DieselPheonix

Postby DieselPheonix » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:38 am

I have not played the games in millenia, but I imagine friendly battles being done on simulators, if only because the thought of game characters playing their own games amuses me.

Blame Game

Postby Blame Game » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:19 pm

AW1 doesn't just have you face a variety of opponents, it also goes out of its way to emphasize the differences they do have, which is awesome. The Yellow Comet stuff in general is just fudge brilliant with that I think, like wowwww imo!

There's a little of that in AW2, with Lash missions tending towards heavier terrain and Hawke missions generally being larger in scale. There's only so much you can really do though, I mean what do you do with Adder, do you just give him extra mechs or something?

Frankly don't remember enough about DoR's campaign to make any statements one way or the other on that. Campaign stuff is hard though, I'd like to see what smart people could do with a custom campaign after all these years of being smart. I'd love to play a DoR or even AW2/DS campaign that really wows me with how it differentiates the COs and gives a sort of variety that isn't limited to "ok what's the gimmick invention this time."

Return to “Advance Wars 1 & 2 General”