War Room High Scores - AW1 Version.

The board for discussing the retro, the golden oldies. Debate and discuss all.
Blackbird

Re: War Room High Scores - AW1 Version.

Post by Blackbird » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:51 am

Yeah, I took a crack at Rivers Four the other day. I could swear the AI works differently on some maps. Most maps, the AI goes into "the-APC/T-Copter-must-die-no-matter-what" mode and ignores infantry capturing the HQ. On Spann Island and Rivers Four, I just can't seem to get the AI to ignore capturing infantry, no matter how tempting I make the bait. The AI seems to focus fire capturing infantry. It's really frustrating, because I come within 3 points of capturing Max's HQ =/.

Edit: Took a look on YouTube. A lot of the easier maps are on there in perfect time + score format, but the maps I'd really like to see, like Rivers Four, Bounty River, and Terra Maw are all conspicuously absent. Did I overlook them?
Last edited by Blackbird on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:50 am

I presume you mean Rivers Four is the hardest War Room map to beat in perfect time? Because it's easy to 999, although the strategy to beat it easily is nothing more than "reload until Grit sends everything west".
Dragon Fogel,
Marquis Elmdor's Arch-Nemesis

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt
AW1 version: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:36 am

Yes i meant perfect time. 10 will surely be possible but hard to do, hmmm i wonder when i will try it.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:58 am

@Blackbird: I don't think you overlooked them, those maps just aren't vided as far as I know

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue May 04, 2010 3:14 am

After some more AI abuse, I figured out how to clear Rivers Four in 11 Days with Sami. Theoretically, I have enough movement to cap both HQs in 10 Days, but Grit is a turtling sandbaggard and doesn't clear all his units from his HQ area quickly enough, so I have to wait anyway.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Tue May 04, 2010 5:11 am

can you 999 it? even a 11 days would be a record for Sami, and a record-tie for current best (11/999 Eagle by me)

here are the scores if you didn't know: http://alaktorn.wrvids.com/aw1warroomscores.txt

STL

Post by STL » Tue May 04, 2010 6:06 am

11/999 with Sami shouldn´t be too hard, 10 days is the interesting thing.
As there will be a Grit Tank built near HQ on Enemy Day 6, the idea it put an Inf on the Enemy City on Day 7, with Grit´s weak Tanks and Sami´s extra Def the Inf can keep 7HP, then appeal him more NW with a 2nd Inf the next day.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 am

Yep, the Sami score is 11/999. Many APCs died to bring us this score *solemn*... A major breakthrough came when I figured out how to delay Max's tank from attacking/instagibbing one of my APCs as it advanced on his HQ. This simplified the capture, and also gave me enough leeway to position Infantry nearer to Grit's HQ.

I'm experimenting with various different strategies to find the 10 Day win. It's frustrating, because so many things can go wrong; Grit can decide to camp, enemy units can be built in the wrong place and then move incorrectly. There's a lot of randomness to deal with.

I think STL is on the right track. It's looking like I'll need some decoys near Grit's HQ, because I simply arrive too soon for all the units to be cleared out. I'll see if that's even possible, the strategy is cutting it close as is.

Edit: Decoys FTW! I have now devised a way to win in 10 Days with Sami. The strategy could best be described as the APC apocalypse; I spam APCs and Infantry, then several APCs make a suicide run to drop off three Inf around Max's HQ. Two head South to cap Grit's HQ, while one caps Max's HQ (after some artful decoying of the AA). I intentionally take a ton of damage to charge Double Time, allowing my Infantry to cross into Grit's territory faster. Unfortunately, I fell short on Power this time, getting only 924 Points. If I can figure out how to kill just one more unit on my Power turn, I will have a 999 pt strategy. I'll give it another try in a bit, but I'm beat and it's time for dinner =P

Edit2: Our APC units will block out the sun! I tweaked the strategy a bit and got Sami's 10 Day, 999 pt strategy for Rivers Four! Yahoo! D2D to follow. Turns out I gave up too soon on my last game; I thought I didn't have enough units left to get the power score, but by repositioning better and sacrificing a few more decoys I was able to just scrape by.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Blah, verifying this is a chore. Grit is such a sandbag. Anyway, here's the D2D. I hope it is clear enough to follow, it's somewhat complex. There's a lot of luck involved, and a lot of stuff can go wrong. If at any point Grit puts units on his HQ or sends them north, you'll need to reload.

Rivers Four 999 pt S-Rank in 10 Days
CO: Sami

Day 1:
Build APC1 in NE Base.
Build 2 Inf in mid Bases.

Day 2:
Load Inf into APC1. Move APC1 2N, 5E.
Move remaining Inf to a position 1E of your NE Base.
Build APC2 in NE Base.
Build 2 Inf in mid bases.

AI Day 2:
Max must build his Tank in his West Base.

Day 3:
Move APC1 6E.
Move NE Inf 1N, 2E into woods.
Load Inf into APC2. Move APC2 2N, 5E. Drop Inf E.
Move remaining Inf to a position 1E of your NE Base.
Build APC3 in NE Base.
Build 2 Inf in mid bases.

AI Day 3:
Max must move his Tank 5W, 1S to a position 2 spaces East of your leading APC.
Max must build his Rockets in his West Base.
Grit might try to camp with his Arty.

Day 4:
Move APC1 4E, 2S. Drop Inf E. (South of an enemy Inf on a city)
Begin capture of the neutral Base with the Inf on the bridge.
Load APC2 with the Inf on the wood. Move APC2 4E, 1S. Drop Inf E.
Load one of the Inf on your bases into APC3. Move 1N, 5E. Drop Inf E (into river).
Remaining two Inf move 1N, 2E to woods and to a position 1E of your NE Base, respectively.
Build APC4 in NE Base.
Build 1 Inf in mid Base.
Save Here.

AI Day4:
Max's Tank attacks your capturing Inf.
No other attacks should occur.
Max must build his AA in his West Base.

Day 5:
Move Easternmost Inf 3E (to a position 3S of Max's HQ)
Move APC1 2W.
Load APC2 with the Inf on the river. Move APC2 1N, 4E (2W of Max's Rockets). Drop Inf S.
Move Eastern Inf in woods 1N, 2E (to a position 1W of APC2).
Load Inf into APC3. Move 3E, 1S into a city, Drop Inf N.
Move Damaged Inf 2S, 1W and wait.
Load one of the Inf on your bases into APC4. Move 1N, 3E onto woods. Drop Inf E.
Remaining Inf 3E.
Build APC 5 in NE Base.
Build Mech in Base 1N, 1E of your HQ.

AI Day 5:
Max's Rockets attack APC1.
Max's AA attacks APC2.
Max's Tank attacks APC4.
All APCs should survive.
No other attacks should occur (particularly against your Inf).
Max must build his Tank in his West Base.
Grit must not camp his HQ with his Recon or another unit.

Day 6:
Save here if all is well.
Move Easternmost Inf 3N, begin capturing Max's HQ.
Load Inf into both APC 1 & 2.
Move APC1 5E, Drop Inf S.
Move APC2 S, 4E, Drop Inf S.
Attack Max's capturing Inf with your nearby Full HP Inf.
Move APC4 2S, 2W.
Join APC5 to APC4.
Move Mech 2N.
3HP Inf waits.
Move 1 Inf 1N, 2E onto bridge.
Move remaining Inf 2E into river.
Build Mech in NE Base.
Build Recon in mid Base.

AI Day 6:
Max destroys APCs 1 and 2.
Max's Tank attacks APC4.
Grit's units must move west.
No other attacks should occur.

Day 7:
APC4 1E, 1N.
Move your Recon to the woods APC4 vacated and attack Max's Tank, taking 9 damage.
Destroy Max's Tank with your two Mechs.
Your COP should charge. Use it.
Destroy Max's 5/6 Inf with your 8/9 and 3 HP ones.
Destroy another of Max's Inf with your remaining central Infantry.
Capture Max's HQ.
Move Easternmost Inf 4S into Grit's city.
Move Remaining Eastern Inf 2E, 2S into mountains.
Build some Inf to up your Tech score.

AI Day 7:
Grit's Tank attacks your mountain Inf.

Day 8:
Move city Inf 3S (likely adjacent to a newly created Arty)
Move mountain Inf 1W, 1S onto road.
Build more Inf for the Tech score, if needed.

AI Day 8:
Grits Tank should attack your damaged Inf.

Day 9:
Begin capturing Grit's HQ.
Sometimes Grit has units in range to attack your capturing Inf, but I have observed scenarios where the Tank doesn't attack for some reason, allowing you to complete capture.

Day 10:
Capture Grit's HQ for the win!

fcastro

Post by fcastro » Wed May 05, 2010 5:00 am

Wow this is a new perfect score? That looks very great! In AW2 I think 10 is also the best for Sami in Rivers Four, but Sturm gets 9... Do you play AW2 too?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed May 05, 2010 5:49 am

I don't actually own AW2. I should get on that, seeing how I actually have a little cash for once =P. I've been waiting for the cost to come down on Dual Strike, too, but IS games hold their value really well (because they are good/in demand games).

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 am

congratulations for the new best score! 10/999 Rivers Four, that means it's perfected, right? so only 2 to go for perfecting them IIRC, Spann, and Ring Islands :)

edit: actually it's theoretically possible to win in 9 days (even 8 if you could charge COP), so it's not perfected :(

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed May 05, 2010 9:31 am

Spann and Ring Islands could be beaten faster on a theoretical level, but on a practical one, I think they're almost certainly "hard capped". The AI's actions block you no matter what, and player cannot influence or alter those actions in time to make any difference.

As for Rivers Four... maybe you could beat it faster. If you can pull that off, though, I'll tip my hat to you (and then eat it =P).

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed May 05, 2010 10:01 am

AW1 has many very rare weird AI movements though, ever tried Bounty 16 days or Land's End APC cap? also STL had on emulator the APC moving away from HQ on Spann, but that could've been because his Mech was hit

about Rivers, I've tried your D2D and it looks correct, but getting all the luck for Grit's units to move west is insane, I personally hate the map... I don't think I'll try to beat you

DTaeKim
Star CO
Star CO

Post by DTaeKim » Wed May 05, 2010 10:40 am

You're not the only one, ALAKTORN.
What can change the nature of a man?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 am

For what it's worth, my actions when I actually got the score were slightly different. In that game, I sent one of the later built Infantry South to capture the SW bases, instead of assisting against Max's units. As a result, I didn't have enough Inf to get the Power score against Max's units (by killing a third Inf). Instead, I killed two of Grit's Infantry later on when they attempt to capture the central properties, and two more units in the SW with Md Tanks and Infantry.

The D2D I posted was an attempt to streamline the process to reduce the number of unnecessary actions I did when developing the strategy for the map. Basically, I was trying to make it less bloated, but that may have backfired =P.

It could be that those southwest bases/units were actually essential to getting all of Grit's units to move West after all; however, I don't think the player's actions influence Grit's movements until your Infantry are right next to his HQ. The RNG is just annoying, because Grit's AI checks to decide on camping several times, even at the beginning of the map.
Last edited by Blackbird on Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Wed May 05, 2010 1:32 pm

I think I generally had better luck with Grit's movement by capturing the southern bases, and not moving my infantry out of that area until the last minute. But I could be wrong on that.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

WWN's War Room High Scores: http://www.celestialbridge.net/fogel/aw ... scores.txt

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Wed May 05, 2010 9:12 pm

Great job, Blackbird^^
As ALAKTORN said 10 is not perfect, but already 9 days sounds totally unrealistic because of the Tanks Grit builds near HQ. AW1 AI seems to be very consistent in the build order and don´t care what you build.
I tried your D2D, it is very nice, but requires an insane amount of luck. =/ I totally agree with Dragon Fogel. Capturing those SW Bases, helps greatly for Grit´s Units moving west. And i´m busy with Campaign atm but later more of it^^
But let´s talk about Ai Errors.
Every indirect (except stationary and maybe some others in Campaign) can "forget" to attack and move even though something is in range or you even capture the HQ. I used it first in WR for Kita Straight 8 and later for Sole 6 (for Sole 6 in AW2 too).
When i played Spann on Emulator the APC went west instead of HQ.
http://s489.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... eWarsE.png
In case someone wanna mess with the position, here´s the savestate:
http://www.filefront.com/14035615/Advan ... D-F-E.sav/
But the Art never forget to attack, neither on Day 4, nor on Day 5 (with using APC to get the Art attack on Day 4) when i tried.
That APC glitch (?) also gave me Land´s End 8, where the APC went far west without loading an Inf, maybe it could happen on Ring Islands too with Sonja´s Lander...

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 pm

seems like I remembered your Spann situation wrong

you forgot to mention Bounty where you need a lot of weird movements by AI's Sea units, IIRC they had to move all east and keep in the north zone near HQ, so the path up until there didn't get blocked, or maybe the only real needed movement is the Sub keeping north so it doesn't block you?

considering all this, I wouldn't deem Ring Islands impossible
Last edited by ALAKTORN on Wed May 05, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Wed May 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Bounty was just Sub and cruiser moving east which was a rare movement.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 pm

btw, on which day is that savestate of Spann? saving before the Art is built greatly increases the chances of it forgetting to attack, at least this proved right when I got Sole 6/999

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Wed May 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Ok i just won Rivals AC. Here it is:

AW1 AC 993!! =O

The improvement came from 999ing Olaf´s Navy
Leaving 4 imperfect maps. It´s War, Air Ace, Max Strikes (Andy) and Kanbei Arrives.
The score appears to be 993 on the dot (17 999s, 3 970s, 1 960) and gives you the best team for TFB: Max and Eagle^^

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 am

Bravo, STL! I'd love to see videos or D2D for that map sometime. There is very little information about the Advance Campaign on any of the major websites.

Out of curiousity, how does the Campaign scoring work? You get a score for the Campaign displayed in the Ranking page, but do you get a separate score for the AC, or does the NC score overwrite it (because it's possible to get full points on NC)?
Last edited by Blackbird on Thu May 06, 2010 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dragon Fogel
Tri-Star CO
Tri-Star CO

Post by Dragon Fogel » Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 am

Congratulations!

I'm a little surprised that taking a shorter route leads to the optimum score (since you skip Olaf's Sea Strike), but I guess perfecting Olaf's Navy makes up for that.

It looks like the probably-impossible task of perfecting Olaf's Navy by rout and doing Olaf's Sea Strike wouldn't gain you an extra point, either.
Dragon Fogel,

Don't call me "Dragon".

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Thu May 06, 2010 2:06 am

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadva ... 1043/18467
MJEmirzian wrote a FAQ for the Campaign in AW1.
I can write a D2D for the 5 day win in Olaf´s Navy but you should try it yourself first.
The campaign score is simply your average score, NC and HC are seperately saved.
The old HS was 991,95 with playing 22 maps, playing 20 maps (so skipping Olaf´s sea Strike and rivals) were enough to get 991.
The 993 now requires playing Rivals. (Btw routing Olaf´s Navy in 5 which doesn´t look any possible to play Olaf´s Sea Strike would only score 993,27)
The only map with very little hope is Max Strikes (Andy), the other 3 are impossible for sure.
It´s War could only be done in 5 by Sami, but you have Andy. And Rout is... Air Ace is reachable for Andy, but you would need to put T-Cop into B-Cop range on Day 1 and then well, it gets destroyed. On Kanbei Arrives only Sami could reach for 4, but even if all Tanks/MD go north an Inf will block the south Bridge, and Sami can´t OHKO an Kanbei Inf.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu May 06, 2010 4:33 am

Ah, thanks for that. I wasn't looking forward to slogging through the gamefaqs guides to see which ones were useful =/.

It's nice that it saves the Campaign and Advance Campaign scores separately, so you can fully appreciate each one. Really impressive scores, STL! I haven't quite worked up the courage to tackle AC yet, myself. I approve of the Red GBSP, by the way ;).

Edit: It didn't occur on Kita Straight, but I did observe the indirect attacker "forget to attack" bug(?) on Sole Harbor, allowing me to cap in 6 Days. I'm curious, is this the same way you completed this map, Alaktorn?

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Fri May 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Had a pretty epic Terra Maw game today. Sami's COP-boosted Infantry survived a Tank and Battle Copter attack with 4 HP to complete the capture on Day 15. Regrettably, I forgot to fire my Artillery one turn (and saved afterward >_<) so I couldn't get the Power score. Rats!

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sun May 09, 2010 5:22 am

So i replayed some Spann and found my old trick back. Day 1 APC can block the Enemy HQ for the Enemy APC! (sami only ofc)
So you can easyly reach with Inf for 6 day win. But the Art never forgets to attack. It would be good to know the conditions for the Indirect Glitch to happen.
Maybe our only hope is the APC glitch for the 5 day win hmmm...

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Sun May 09, 2010 7:19 am

Yeah, if we could get the Arty to "forget" to fire, 6 Day win would be doable with Sami. I don't know what causes the bug, though. I haven't had any luck simply trying to brute force it with RNG abuse.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:31 pm

I've updated the AW1 scorelist, but the domain I had on wrvids.com doesn't seem to be working… I'll contact the admin of that

the update was Fidelcastro's perfect score on Last Mission with all COs except Kanbei, it was Sami only before

edit: I messed up, he didn't do it with all COs, he only has a strategy for all COs >_<

fetofs

Post by fetofs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:50 am

Restarted AW1, got a 6-day win on Spann Island with Sami.

fetofs

Post by fetofs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 am

APC moved away from the HQ on d3, from there it's an easy win on 6 days. Even if the arty decides to attack (which it did), Sami's inf still has enough HP to finish the cap on d6 provided that Olaf builds a recon rather than a tank.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:41 am

You mean the Enemy Recon doesn´t attack?

fetofs

Post by fetofs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 am

I was going to edit the last post, but you replied faster, anyway, here's d5: http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7066/spannd5.jpg

Art does 2 dmg, Recon does 4 dmg, inf remains with 4 hp which is just enough to finish the capture.

-STL-

Post by -STL- » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:55 am

But how did you get the APC move off from HQ while your Inf is in range to capture the HQ?

fetofs

Post by fetofs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:00 am

No idea, it just remained stationary on that position for the entire duration of the mission... I dropped the infantry on the mountain to make sure that the arty would target the APC.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:44 am

fetofs wrote:Restarted AW1, got a 6-day win on Spann Island with Sami.
O_o

did you TAS that? I'm not sure if the scorelist allows emulator scores, I haven't been managing it since the beginning

fetofs

Post by fetofs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:44 am

Dragon Fogel wrote:
Using an emulator for savestates is fine, in case there's any doubt on that matter.

ALAKTORN

Post by ALAKTORN » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:05 am

I've updated the scorelist with your score